Texas A&M Football
Sponsored by

What happened between JFF and Hamilton?

18,094 Views | 128 Replies | Last: 6 yr ago by Threadbare
BombayAg
How long do you want to ignore this user?
I read that they "could not come to terms". WTF does that mean? JFF is in no position to dictate terms. He just needs to see the field making minimum wage.

What else was the issue?
BanderaAg956
They lowballed him with a $150K rookie contract.
champagnepapi
BombayAg
champagnepapi said:

I know this, but it still does not explain why he isn't playing for Hamilton.
Drawkcab
drevans956 said:

BombayAg said:

JFF is in no position to dictate terms. He just needs to see the field making minimum wage.
BombayAg
drevans956 said:

150k? He should have taken it and proved himself in semi-good competition. That may have morphed into an NFL opportunity. Looks like he took a step back for some loose change.
CoachLB
I cannot tell anyone what to do. But I would have taken the 150 thousand just for the opprotunity to get back on the field. Johnny is a perfect fit for the CFL. His game would light up that league. His style of play is Taylor made for their game. Play a season there and put things on film for people to see, stay out of trouble and the N.F.L comes calling. Or the CFL may make it worth it to stay there. There are guys who have made a lot of money and enjoyed their careers up there.
Saint Pablo
I am curious, does anyone know if NFL scouts attend these games and have a presence there? I read that this spring league had scouts from something like 20 teams las year...could that be part of it?
CoachLB
Lot of big time N.F.L players started in the CFL. It is scouted really well by the N.F.L. But I guess if johnny can get signed out of this spring league he saves a year.
Dr RC
BombayAg said:

I read that they "could not come to terms". WTF does that mean? JFF is in no position to dictate terms. He just needs to see the field making minimum wage.

What else was the issue?
You do realize he is simply following the advice of his agent don't you?
CoachLB
Yep. The agent is always going to want to go with the money. But Johnny would start and be a superstar in the CFL from day one. As for me I would rather play than be a backup which is what Johnny would be at least his first year in the N.F.L.
Atreides Ornithopter
AG
JFF backs Aaron Burr
Joe Schillaci 48
AG
drevans956 said:

Pretty sure he will take the $150K if the NFL doesn't bite.

If he looks good in the spring league he might get NFL attention but if the Tiger-Cats still holding his CFL signing rights, he will jump at the $150 K.

Viper16
AG

Hamilton is trying to get away with a cheap deal....JFF would instantly generate a few million in gear sales with his presence on the football field. I don't blame him for saying no to the bs deal.
BombayAg
Dr RC said:

BombayAg said:

What else was the issue?

You are right, but that is what I find perplexing. Penny wise pound foolish in my opinion. JFF has no cards to play. His goal should have been opportunities to prove, rather than cash.
There are times in one's career when one takes a paycut in exchange for opportunity. Too bad.
Faustus
Publicly negotiating with the Tiger-Cats sells comeback gear, and he doesn't have to share it (or give it all) to the Tiger-Cats for their officially licensed duds. No point ceding his marketability till he has to.
fwag04
AG
CoachLB said:

I cannot tell anyone what to do. But I would have taken the 150 thousand just for the opprotunity to get back on the field. Johnny is a perfect fit for the CFL. His game would light up that league. His style of play is Taylor made for their game. Play a season there and put things on film for people to see, stay out of trouble and the N.F.L comes calling. Or the CFL may make it worth it to stay there. There are guys who have made a lot of money and enjoyed their careers up there.
This is why I'm skeptical of the whole comebackszn or whatever it is. if he were serious, he would have signed a short term deal and went out and proven himself. Seems like he just wants to launch a clothing line and do a few public appearances here and there
DeepEastTxAg
AG
He didn't really take a step back. The Spring League season is only 2 weeks and ends well before CFL training camp. So, he could do both and have more exposure with more experience under his belt.
Shockin335i
Hhmmm, take a bs deal at $150,000 a year or go to spring league and possibly make more. I'd chose the latter of the two.

Witness
BombayAg said:

Dr RC said:

BombayAg said:

What else was the issue?

You are right, but that is what I find perplexing. Penny wise pound foolish in my opinion. JFF has no cards to play. His goal should have been opportunities to prove, rather than cash.
There are times in one's career when one takes a paycut in exchange for opportunity. Too bad.

The Spring League is two weeks long and ends before CFL season starts so he can always go to CFL but why get locked in at 150k for 2 years when you can do all you can go improve your value
Dr RC
BombayAg said:

Dr RC said:

BombayAg said:

What else was the issue?

Pretty sure his agent knows more than you when it comes to this sort of thing.
CoachLB
You are right. He did not take a step back. But so far he has refused to sign a 150 thousand dollar deal with the CFL. Johnny has not played in a couple of years and has had real problems . I would think he would sign no matter the money just for the chance to get back onto the field. To me he has way too much to prove to a team to be demanding on the money. 150 thousand dollars is good money for someone who has a lot to prove and needs the chance. Playing right now is the important thing. Not the money. Just my opinion.
FishingAggie
CoachLB said:

You are right. He did not take a step back. But so far he has refused to sign a 150 thousand dollar deal with the CFL. Johnny has not played in a couple of years and has had real problems . I would think he would sign no matter the money just for the chance to get back onto the field. To me he has way too much to prove to a team to be demanding on the money. 150 thousand dollars is good money for someone who has a lot to prove and needs the chance. Playing right now is the important thing. Not the money. Just my opinion.

Agree 100%.
It's basically a gambling bet. How much are you willing to lose if he craters again? Their ceiling is around $150k.

Johnny is the one that has to prove himself. I hope he kills it. I'd play for free if I had his money to get back on top. I wouldn't let money be an issue if it's something I really want. Give now, get paid later

Jmo

J
Memphis 7
Manziel shouldn't play the role of make everyone else money.

He's already done that.

150k is a joke considering what he would bring in attention/ticket sales, etc.

He's probably already made 150k in his sweatshirts.

Coin
Brennus said:

JFF backs Aaron Burr
My Man! Hamilton is a *****
CoachLB
If Johnny really is about playing football he takes the offer. I do not care if someone else makes money on me now. I will give that up for a chance to play and make millions if I prove I can play and stay out of trouble. I had a chance to play in the CFL. I did not make the cut. But I would have played my first two years for less than 150 thousand because I wanted to play. I love Johnny but I would not throw money at him if I was a GM or Owner. Johnny has to prove he can still play. And mostly he has to prove he can stay out of trouble and substance free. I think he can. But nobody knows that for sure now.
Ex-liberalag12
Viper16 said:

Hamilton trying to away with a cheap deal....JFF would instantly generate a few million in gear sales with his presence on the football field. I don't blame him for saying no to the bs deal.

CoachLB
If I was the GM and paid Johnny big money I would have in the contract if he gets in trouble or is caught drinking one time he is gone and has to pay back signing bonus etc. I love johnny. But he is a big risk right now. We do not know his level of play after years away and partying. We do not know if he can stay on his medication etc. I am not being anti johnny. I hope he makes a great pro player. But he has a lot to prove to be demanding big money. 150 is the CFL minimum. Even if he signs with an NFL team they will pay him the minimum. It is a lot more but it is the same minimum risk offer.
Witness
CoachLB said:

If I was the GM and paid Johnny big money I would have in the contract if he gets in trouble or is caught drinking one time he is gone and has to pay back signing bonus etc. I love johnny. But he is a big risk right now. We do not know his level of play after years away and partying. We do not know if he can stay on his medication etc. I am not being anti johnny. I hope he makes a great pro player. But he has a lot to prove to be demanding big money. 150 is the CFL minimum. Even if he signs with an NFL team they will pay him the minimum. It is a lot more but it is the same minimum risk offer.

CFL will still be there and before training camp no less if no NFL team wants him even with him going to Spring League
Old Town Ag
AG
CFL requires 2 szn commitment.
CoachLB
And he will be a backup in the NFL. I would rather play and be a starter in the CFL. To me watching from the bench with a clipboard is not as good as starting and playing an important role in the CFL. Even for less money. it is like the kid who would rather ride the bench with the varsity than be a starter on the junior varsity just so he can been seen in a Jersey on Friday night. I would rather play.
Witness
CoachLB said:

And he will be a backup in the NFL. I would rather play and be a starter in the CFL. To me watching from the bench with a clipboard is not as good as starting and playing an important role in the CFL. Even for less money. it is like the kid who would rather ride the bench with the varsity than be a starter on thr junior varsity just so he can been seen in a Jersey on Friday night. I would rather play.

All he needs is the chance or an injury
jackie childs
CoachLB said:

And he will be a backup in the NFL. I would rather play and be a starter in the CFL. To me watching from the bench with a clipboard is not as good as starting and playing an important role in the CFL. Even for less money. it is like the kid who would rather ride the bench with the varsity than be a starter on the junior varsity just so he can been seen in a Jersey on Friday night. I would rather play.
is $150k a reasonable salary for a starting QB in the CFL? i have no idea.

I get your point about getting reps, but last season, 67 different QB's started an NFL game. 46 different QB's started 5 or more games. so go learn from the best and you're always one nasty sack away from starting.
RooAg
AG
I assume if he signs with the CFL he can't play in the spring league. I'm sure they wouldn't allow it. But sounds like he can sign with the CFL this season still if the spring league goes nowhere. If this is correct and I'm him, I play spring league for a chance at an NFL roster to make the a much higher league minimum (450k) or higher. He also has a limited shelf life and should still be in play to get an NFL pension (min 3 years). If he can make an NFL roster it's more money and a pension. If not, then go to CFL.

No reason not to go big if your backup plan is still waiting on you if you swing and miss.
Sharpshooter
AG
Did he fail to make the casting call?

Last Page
Page 1 of 4

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.