Texas A&M Football
Sponsored by

What happened between JFF and Hamilton?

18,094 Views | 128 Replies | Last: 6 yr ago by Threadbare
JABQ04
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Brennus said:

JFF backs Aaron Burr

I laughed way to hard at this.
spherical
AG
Quote:

Let's say Johnny gets a back-up gig in the NFL at 500k. That's peanuts compared to a starting gig that he could get if he starts in the CFL and excels (like Flutie).

And no, he is never going to get an opportunity to start in the NFL by being a back-up there.

I don't think backup qbsin the nfl make 500k... I think Matt Moore is the lowest at 1m before incentives (which I guess don't kick in much if you don't play)
schmellba99
AG
CrazyDayDuck said:

Threadbare said:

CrazyDayDuck said:

Threadbare said:

CrazyDayDuck said:

Threadbare said:

CrazyDayDuck said:

CoachLB said:

I would low ball him too. He sabotaged his career. I still think Johnny can and will play great if he stays focused and out of trouble. I have fewer doubts about his ability than I do his not messing up. I am a Johnny fan. But you just cannot screw your football career and former team and expect everybody just trust you with their team and throw money at you. Earn your trust and your money first.

Exactly

These Millennials just can not understand the concepts that "Beggars can not be choosers" and "A bird in the hand is worth two in the bush".

Johnny doesn't need the money (assuming he hasn't blown it all on hookers and blow that is).

What he needs is a second chance. Hamilton with June Jones as the coach provides that.

If Johnny can stay out of trouble for two years in the CFL (big if) then some NFL teams may take a chance on him.
I guess if you have the mentality of a beggar, you're a beggar. If they didn't want to pay him, they should have put a sock in June Jones' pie hole.

Again, I don't know where this idea comes from that he has to sign right now. Let them feel a little pressure (they absolutely don't want to end up with nothing out of all of this), and see if they'll move a little, or trade his rights to someone that wants him more. I think he still has a little time to let it play out, and I'm sure that he and his agent know exactly what the expiration date on the offer is. Why should he panic and take a low ball offer right now?

To show how contrite he is? While I hope he learned something from his experience, that would just be dumb...

It's not just the opportunity to show his talent genius, everybody knows Johnny has talent.

It's the opportunity to show his maturity, which pretty much nobody believes he has.

And it's not about panicking. Well, unless he blew his NFL money on hookers and blow that is. In which case, he may be panicking in hopes of getting a back up NFL gig.
I really hope you are nowhere near the price-negotiation function of whatever enterprise you are associated with...

You know how I can tell when I am winning an argument? When the other person starts making personal attacks.

Get back with me you get your house paid off and have the tuition of your kids covered at the age of 52, okay kiddo?
Yeah, when you sarcastically referred to me as 'genius', I knew I had you...

I don't care what you have paid for or by when; by your arguments on this board, I stand by my original assessment...

Which is wrong.

But hey, some day when you grow up you will realize that you have to have long-term plans and not think what may be best for the short term.

Let's say Johnny gets a back-up gig in the NFL at 500k. That's peanuts compared to a starting gig that he could get if he starts in the CFL and excels (like Flutie).

And no, he is never going to get an opportunity to start in the NFL by being a back-up there.
What happens if he does what you and some others here think he should do (play for a lower salary just to prove he isn't 18 anymore) and gets his knee blown out in game 3?

Tell Garrapolo, Osweiller, Nick Foles, Ryan Fitzpatrick, Matt Schaub and however many others backup QB's who have gotten one or more shots at being the starter after being the backup first.

Bottom line is that if you have the opportunity to make an NFL roster, even as a backup, you take it. One, because getting in the league is a huge hurdle, two because the pay is way better and three because there really aren't a whole lot of players that went from CFL to being hugely successful in the NFL. A few have, but they are the exception to the rule.

If the long term goal is to be in the NFL and the opportunity to skip playing in Canada presents itself, you skip playing in Canada.

Sounds to me like JFF has a standing offer from the CFL at the moment and has time before he has to either agree to it or go another direction. Not sure why anybody would think he should sign immediately, especially when he has the opportunity and means to toe the waters to see if another opportunity presents itself or if he can get the current offer from the CFL to be better. He'd be stupid not to make an effort at doing so.
ghollow
AG
BombayAg said:

Dr RC said:

BombayAg said:

I read that they "could not come to terms". WTF does that mean? JFF is in no position to dictate terms. He just needs to see the field making minimum wage.

What else was the issue?
You do realize he is simply following the advice of his agent don't you?

You are right, but that is what I find perplexing. Penny wise pound foolish in my opinion. JFF has no cards to play. His goal should have been opportunities to prove, rather than cash.
There are times in one's career when one takes a paycut in exchange for opportunity. Too bad.
Pretty sure JFF is not that worried about the money at this point. "Could not come to terms" could be about anything including length of contract. May have had nothing to do with the money.

IMHO, I think he is trying to decide which path is going to get him back in the NFL the quickest. The spring league gives him a chance to showcase his abilities in front of NFL scouts w/o having to go through several seasons of CFL. Had he signed with the CFL, I doubt he would be able to play spring ball.

Where ever he plays, the media attention on him will be unbelievable.
So the greatest civilization is one where all citizens are equally armed and can only be persuaded, never forced. It removes force from the equation... and that's why carrying a gun is a civilized act.
PooDoo
AG
If signed by an NFL team does he have to serve his suspension or does his absence last year count?
Z Team
AG
If I have an offer and it can't go lower, but they have given me time to prove I am of greater value. I would be an idiot not to attempt to demonstrate greater value.
Offer is probably not rescinded with poor showing. It is a minimum offer.
The ability to get a better offer is totally in play with either Hamilton or NFL.

It is ridiculous to not see this and jump on Johnny as being greedy and short sighted. He needs to have a business mindset and appears he is actually getting good counsel. So glad he isn't listening to many of the "Experts" on here.
tiggie
By going the route he is, he'll be available for next NFL season and this league will be a better showcase than the wide open style in Canada
TexAg15
AG
He didn't take the Ti-cat's deal YET because he wanted to play in the spring league. Money has nothing to do with it. The Spring League COULD be a more direct route to the NFL and save himself a year. It's hilarious how folks here think they know more than whoever is really orchestrating the "Comback ZSN" or whatever. If he doesn't get signed to an NFL team after the Spring League he'll take Junes and company up on those 150,000 loonies.
bruno319
AG
http://3downnation.com/2018/02/14/johnny-manziel-play-spring-league/

This is actually JFF doing the smart thing if he really wants a comeback, either league. Not him just spurning CFL. Agent said teams want to see him in pads. Ti-Cats GM has said he thought GMA interview was good, is in constant contact and good, open communication with the agent.

Maybe it's the word "league" causing all the debate. This spring league isn't a league ..It's essentially a two-week development camp that culminates in exhibition games. They call themselves a development camp and scouting event. Good luck to Johnny and any other player participating, trying to demonstrate their skills.
TexAg15
AG
It should be noted that The Spring League concludes over a month before CFL Camps open. They're allowed to bring 75 people to camp, according to my brief research. This thread is pretty dumb considering those facts.
JodyMcD96
AG
Take money out of the equation for a moment.

The Spring League is a chance to warm up, polish some understandably rusty skills and see where you are as a 25 year old versus a 22 year old.

A couple of outcomes are possible:

1. Johnny knocks the rust off, plays very solid, makes good reads and throws and shows Hamilton that he is solid enough to sign a contract with. He signs for $150k plus maybe a little more. Say $315K, why? Why not, I don't know how their contracts and pay work.

2. Johnny goes completely JFF and transcends the norms of football and then NFL scouts burn up the phone lines to home base saying, "We got to get him!" a bidding war commences and he signs with an NFL franchise and his team wins the Super Bowl with his play.

3. Something in between #1 and #2

4. Johnny has a bad showing. The TiCats deal is still on the table and Johnny takes it and spends the next two years trying to tune with June. Makes the TiCats something of a household name amongst Aggies and wins a Grey Cup.

5. It just doesn't work out.

None of those are really money dependent and are purely based on the outcome of his play, maturity and dedication. The Spring League is a really smart play. I will probably buy tickets and go watch if I am in town.
DeepEastTxAg
AG
JodyMcD96 said:

Take money out of the equation for a moment.

The Spring League is a chance to warm up, polish some understandably rusty skills and see where you are as a 25 year old versus a 22 year old.

A couple of outcomes are possible:

1. Johnny knocks the rust off, plays very solid, makes good reads and throws and shows Hamilton that he is solid enough to sign a contract with. He signs for $150k plus maybe a little more. Say $315K, why? Why not, I don't know how their contracts and pay work.

2. Johnny goes completely JFF and transcends the norms of football and then NFL scouts burn up the phone lines to home base saying, "We got to get him!" a bidding war commences and he signs with an NFL franchise and his team wins the Super Bowl with his play.

3. Something in between #1 and #2

4. Johnny has a bad showing. The TiCats deal is still on the table and Johnny takes it and spends the next two years trying to tune with June. Makes the TiCats something of a household name amongst Aggies and wins a Grey Cup.

5. It just doesn't work out.

None of those are really money dependent and are purely based on the outcome of his play, maturity and dedication. The Spring League is a really smart play. I will probably buy tickets and go watch if I am in town.

I actually don't want to see those happen. I'm so sick of the NFL. I want him to do well in the Spring League, go the CFL for 2 years, then sign with Mr. McMahon in the XFL. I just hope the XFL doesn't flop this time.
PabloSerna
AG
CrazyDayDuck said:

I think you're over-estimating Johnny's market value, as is Johnny's agent.

Most people see Johnny as a head case that was a bust in the NFL.

Well I think you are underestimating it, so there. Fun part of this thread will be what actually happens. It really does come down to money more than anything, not one man's desire to make a comeback. That is why if I'm Johnny's agent, I keep him in the news (for good reasons) because that only serves to help him negotiate a higher contract. From what I read, he wants what the last QB was getting. I think that is a good strategy. Hamilton ain't no dummy, they hope he is desperate (as some of you make him out to be) - That's not the Johnny I know - He's a gamer. Canada hasn't seen this kind of circus!

++GIG'EM!!!

biobioprof
Sharpshooter said:

Did he fail to make the casting call?

Better Hamilton image?

RAB83
AG
zephyr88 said:

Viper16 said:

Hamilton is trying to get away with a cheap deal....JFF would instantly generate a few million in gear sales with his presence on the football field. I don't blame him for saying no to the bs deal.

This ^^^ times eleventy billion... like it or not...
Apparel licensing for pro teams runs between 5% and 6%. I don't know how much apparel the CFL sells overall or if there's a league revenue share on apparel. If Hamilton keeps all apparel licensing revenue, JFF needs to generate $3 million in incremental sales for the Tiger Cats to break even on apparel. Since the most apparel sales for any CFL team was $10 million for the Saskatchewan Roughriders, it seems a stretch to think the Tiger Cats will be rolling in the dough from merchandise sales.

TV won't change. It's under contract and there also a league TV share.

What about attendance? Their stadium seats 24,300 and the average attendance is 23,722. Other than raising ticket prices, there's not a lot of opportunity for the Tiger Cats.

Like it or not, there is a risk discount involved with signing JFF. Plus, the CFL isn't the NFL. There's not a lot of population in Canada to start with (less than California) and football is a second tier sport to hockey and, I've read, lacrosse.

Money follows performance. It lags. The goal for JFF should be to get on the field, perform, and the money will follow.
Threadbare
So, some people are reporting that by signing the spring league contract he has forfeited the chance to play CFL this year. Is that correct??!!!
Sex Panther
AG
Threadbare said:

So, some people are reporting that by signing the spring league contract he has forfeited the chance to play CFL this year. Is that correct??!!!

No
**** THE RANGERS

**** GARCIA

ALTUVE IS GOD
TyHolden
AG
Jff has been posting in premium for weeks now...we're like bffs now
BombayAg
DSAg44 said:

Did JFF pay for premium?
TyHolden
AG
BombayAg said:

DSAg44 said:

Did JFF pay for premium?
he bought texags
Drawkcab
Putting all this "is he or is he not doing the right thing" stuff aside for a bit, has anyone figured out how to watch these games yet? Turner Sports streaming service is supposed to carry them, but I can find any information on how to sign up for said service.
arontc09
AG
Why does everyone keep repeating the league minimum line? They are offering nearly 3x minimum ($53k) and more than 1.5x league average. That said, why sign anything before he has a chance to show his stuff in spring league? Maybe his value goes up with his performance. Maybe he gets an NFL contract and skips the CFL. The smart choice is to hold out until the last minute and get the best offer you can.
bruno319
AG
Threadbare said:

No, that is NOT correct. Spring League is a two-week developmental league that includes two weekends of exhibition games that provide an opportunity for scouts from NFL, CFL and arena to see players and creates film teams can review. Hamilton knows JFF is doing Spring League. Kent Austin has been very clear they're still talking to JFF's agent, and he can still be signed.

https://www.tsn.ca/radio/hamilton-1150/austin-manziel-in-spring-league-doesn-t-mean-we-re-moving-on-1.999256
BCG Disciple
AG
Old Town Ag said:

CFL requires 2 szn commitment.

Yep. It's comebackszn, not comebackszn. Do it on your terms, bro.
Threadbare
BCG Disciple said:

Old Town Ag said:

CFL requires 2 szn commitment.

Yep. It's comebackszn, not comebackszn. Do it on your terms, bro.
I'm confuzd..

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.