Texas A&M Football
Sponsored by

Excited vs Not excited for change in head coach at this time

11,644 Views | 151 Replies | Last: 6 yr ago by 3010johndeere
FJB
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Excited
VinnyTAMU
AG
Not excited, every hire I have known as an Aggie fan (since 1999) has been a disappointment.
GAP76
AG
pissed
The Lost Hondo
AG
Not. We have zero evidence that our next coach will be an improvement. There is a very real possibility that he will not be an improvement. There is a time when a program needs to move on, but our current situation feels more like change for the sake of change than a legit improvement plan.

Hopefully I'm wrong.
Pluto88
AG
Not excited.

Sumlin might not be our man, but Fisher definitely is not our man. Unless Sumlin leaves first, hold out for someone better.
mcag83
AG
Not
oldcrow91
AG
We'll see.
SiempreAggie
excited
Roger Kint
AG
Ask me once we name the replacement.
NyAggie
AG
Excited but sad at the same time; really wish it would have worked out with sumlin but he just couldn't get over the hump

LaTex
Excited and cautiously optimistic we make the right hire this time.
rw1987
AG
Not excited. Here we go again.
BanderaAg956
The optics are all screwed up because If the leaks and letter discussions but it means nothing more than provoking emotion in the fan base. The search and discussions have been ongoing since the UCLA game. The money group and leaders have been working options for a long time. I just hope they don't screw it up worse than they have in the past.

I'd rather it not be Fisher or Morris but oh well. I'd rather Peterson but oh well. Would be happy with Matt Campbell or Scott Frost or Jon Gruden or Chip Kelly.
Anchorhold
My excitement is focused on basketball
Ishmael-Ag
AG
The Big Risk is another highly overpaid Franny type era (error). Dear Lord in heaven please stop the punishment. Isn't hell good enough?
tex 93
AG
Uneasy best describes me, therefore not excited.

I feel like next year, with a returning starting QB for the first time since JFF, Sumlin would be more competitive against the SEC West. We won't be good enough, no matter who is coaching, to win a title yet, because we still need more talent. I'm willing to see if more winning brings in more 4&5 star talent.

But if we need a new coach to bring in more 4&5 star talent in order to win titles, then so be it.
AnalogyAg
Quote:

Face it. Sumlin was done with Texas A&M when he went public with the letter. or he miscalculated very badly.

Yep!!! a day or two after when all were apologizing and handwringing, i posted a thread asking "WHERE ARE THE SUMLIN'S?" and why arent they defending a&m and clarifying that this was NOT their experience with Texas A&M family?

I was warned to "watch out".

Their silence was the bell that couldnt be unrung. all should have realized then that it was over between sumlin family and texas a&m.
tex 93
AG
Here's some added info on why we need more 4&5 star recruits. It's fallen off and put us out of contention, talent wise, to make a run at a title.

https://www.sbnation.com/a/cfb-preview-2017/blue-chip-ratio
"BLUE-CHIP RATIO FALLERS
Texas A&M seems to have peaked in recruiting under Kevin Sumlin, going from 46 percent, to 54, to 53, and now down to 43. That's what signing 20 two- and three-stars in a class can do to a ratio. The Aggies' roster likely won't ever be truly bad, being an SEC team located in Texas, but things just got tougher with Tom Herman recruiting nearby Houston on behalf of the Longhorns.,
WesMaroon&White
AG
Not excited. I see us taking another two steps back and possibly another Fran debacle. Sumlin would have won the east division. SC is ranked and is second this year in the east this year. I see improvement in personnel and depth and I see improvement in play this year. Manziel f@"& over this fan base more than the coach.
aeon-ag
AGinHI said:

I'm curious where the majority is at.

Star your choice.
I'm not excited. I've lived in CS my entire life except for Army time. I'v eposted this several times. I'm 70 yoa, in those 70 years A&M has had only two coaches that had the ability to bring A&M to national prominence, Bryant and Sherrill. . Sumlin at least had a consistent 8-4 record. I've seen some that couldn't get a team to score points with a pencil. Think about it, if some of you have the ability, two coaches in 70 years! Why should I think another coach is going to make any difference. The numb n@ts at the top from the President on down have no ability to hire a decent coach. Hell, Baylor hired Briles, yea, he had some player problems, but the bottom line is winning and Briles did. Where A&M gets the screwy notions to hire the stumble bums they do is beyond me, So, here we go again. fire and hire, fire and hire. I don't expect much at all, same song same verse, different name.
Foxo
AG
Not excited. I dont care which yahoo that we bring in.
MSP-DTX
NOT EXCITED - HUGE MISTAKE

Sumlin has made considerable strides/changes the last two seasons. We are recruiting 'SEC' caliber players and are adjusting to the SEC West. Sumlin committed to spending a season to develop a young team and has still managed to win 7 or 8 or 9 games. It was very well known going into this season it was going to be a 'rebuild type of year dealing with frosh mistakes.

This program is set for the next couple years...it will be a shame if Sumlin isn't running the show.
5aggiesNSA
aggiehawg said:

peace said:

Not excited, would rather see a couple or five, assistants fired, plus the OC.
And try to hire someone with a HC who is on the hot seat?? That never works. Have to overpay for them and guarantee the salaries. Very well could end up losing money if he is then fired the next year anyway.

Face it. Sumlin was done with Texas A&M when he went public with the letter. or he miscalculated very badly.
Texas A&M was done with Sumlin when AD ran his mouth off at SEC media day.
general ulysses
AG
Not excited
AggieG11
Excited - time for Sumlin to go. He has lost the fan base and admins, time to go.

Not excited - that we are going after Fisher. He may be a winner but at what cost? He is step above Briles as far as character. We are better than him. Also he is very loyal to his assistants and one of the reasons he is looking to leave FSU is because they are asking him to fire some of his offensive staff. He will face the same thing here and I do not want him to bolt if we pressure him.

If the rumors are true and we are offering $6M to $8M per year to get him, we should go after Petersen.
AnalogyAg
aeon-ag said:

I'm not excited. I've lived in CS my entire life except for Army time. I'v eposted this several times. I'm 70 yoa, in those 70 years A&M has had only two coaches that had the ability to bring A&M to national prominence, Bryant and Sherrill. . .Sumlin at least had a consistent 8-4 record. I've seen some that couldn't get a team to score points with a pencil. Think about it, if some of you have the ability, two coaches in 70 years! Why should I think another coach is going to make any difference....

You forget Emory Bellard who took over a program mired in mediocrity and in 4 years had us ranked #2 in country. RC had us hovering in top 10 territory in early-mid 90s.

The issue is we want a NC and Sumlin is clearly not the one to bring that, so time to go. it's a very simple decision, really.

if you are happy w 8-4, dont worry- there are a thousand coaches capable of that result here.
ApachePilot
AG
Excited if we are going to break the trend of long guaranteed contracts. I'd like to see shorter contracts with incentive based bonuses and small buyouts. Hope we get someone that can rewrite the Aggie coaching story line. Show that you can win big in Aggieland.
PrestigeWorldwideAg12
Not excited. Prepared for the disappointment though
millertyme
AG
peace said:

Not excited, would rather see a couple or five, assistants fired, plus the OC.

So the same thing that has happened for the past 4 seasons? When does it become the HC's fault?
cr
Bottlehead90 said:

Not excited
Thought Sumlin deserved one more year and there is a lot of big programs looking for coaches this year

So you'd rather wait until all the big programs looking for coaches this year deplete the pool and then take left overs next year. I'd prefer we go head to head this year and compete for that talent.
GarryowenAg
AG
I'm enjoying the speculation more than anything
Coog_aTm
Not excited.
Meximan
95_Aggie
AG
Sumlin is my 8th Aggie football coach.

Been there, done that.
Ag CPA
AG
Every candidate, including Fisher, is meh, we'll be doing this yet again in four years.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.