Texas A&M Football
Sponsored by

Excited vs Not excited for change in head coach at this time

11,666 Views | 151 Replies | Last: 6 yr ago by 3010johndeere
AnalogyAg
How long do you want to ignore this user?
CJS4715 said:

Hopeful.

this. we have a lot of young talent and good recruits. If we get the right guy, we can be good soon.
TAMU74
AG
Not excited based on the "established" coaches mention here.
I'm more in the camp of an "up and coming" coach who is an understudy of Saban or like successful coach.
AnalogyAg
yep. id feel better with a younger "unproven" guy that is willing to take a contract accordingly. if it aint right- di it again in 3 or 4 yrs. Frank Wilson!
Padre_Island_Ag
AG
Are you kidding? Am I excited???

Let's go Brandon!

Soli Deo Gloria
85AustinAg
AG
TAMU74 said:

I'm more in the camp of an "up and coming" coach who is an understudy of Saban or like successful coach.

Like Fisher...
ElephantRider
AG
Bone6 said:

Not Excited

I think it's a bad year for coaching candidates.
Better than last year.
Leander - Ag
2NU
aggiehawg said:

peace said:

Not excited, would rather see a couple or five, assistants fired, plus the OC.
And try to hire someone with a HC who is on the hot seat?? That never works. Have to overpay for them and guarantee the salaries. Very well could end up losing money if he is then fired the next year anyway.

Face it. Sumlin was done with Texas A&M when he went public with the letter. or he miscalculated very badly.
What Aggiehawg said - when the letter was posted to the public, it was over.
Agsncws
AG
I'll commit after it's announced.
[url]https://drive.google.com/file/d/1Qh0MyYgSAQsDxvvIIU3ehE1nf8WWLQEa/view?usp=sharing[/url]
mrad85
AG
Not too excited. The masses will be calling for the new coach's head after the first setback.
We could hire Saban and the mentality wouldn't change.
Hamburger Dan
Unbelievablly excited
wyattearpsghost
Sure I'm excited. I was always excited when I bought a new car, too. Then the new car smell went away and I was still stuck with the payments. Then some time after the warranty went out things started to go wrong.

I guess I'm not really all that excited after all, lol.
Mr. Black
Intrigued.
wangus12
AG
Not excited.

We haven't truly hit rock bottom yet and even with a new coach, I think that's the direction we're headed
WestGalvestonAggie

Not. This seems like a big mistake.
sharpdressedman
Excited. Time is past due for the current regime.

However, I am discomforted by the apparent replacement.
FresnoAg08
AG
I'm excited for the change. Not excited at the possibility of Jimbo Fisher. If we are going to try to hire a big name I would much rather it be Chris Petersen or Dabo Swinney (neither of whom are even remotely likely but I can dream a little...)
Agit8r
AG
Not excited. Careful what you wish for.

Emilio Fantastico
AG
Excited but wary of what they may come up with for a new coach.
sbs
AG
Not excited
monarch
S
Not excited...
Peace for Ukraine!
TAMU74
AG
85AustinAg said:

TAMU74 said:

Like Fisher...
I should have been more clear...a coach who is not a current HC
agrams
AG
So, if sumlin is gone, who has a better record, our next coach of sumlin at his next gig?
ATM9000
AG
Started watching Aggie Football in 98... Sumlin hands down was the best coach in my tenor (only counting post-98 RC), was a great hire and a great coach here. But it's best for our program and him to move on. He'll land on his feet at a good program in 2018 and get them to a nice spot. He's done what he can here... 8-5 3 straight seasons though and probably 7-8 wins this year again... definition of stagnation. He's capped out on what he can do here and we need a coach who offers up better than a toss-up vs. the Mississippi schools here annually.

Cautiously excited for a new coach... ecstatic if it is Jimbo. He's had a bad season this season, but if we want to compete consistently in the SEC West, we need to avoid going for some one side of the ball guru and go get a coach who can build a machine of a program. There's only like 4-6 coaches nationally who have shown the capability of building machines programs: Saban, Fisher, Kelley, Meyer, and maybe Shaw and Harbaugh. If we end up with one of those, we should all be really excited.

If we fire Sumlin for some up and coming coach though, that's a mistake in my opinion and the wrong move. We have talent here now... we don't need to bring in a coordinator or small program coach to learn how to coach with the talent we have for a year or 2. We need a coach that we know can take us to the next level now.
bmorris332
AG
Not excited. I called and stopped my payments to the 12th Man Foundation.
As big of a mistake as firing R.C.
380Ag
AG
Not excited. Firing Sumlin is not the right move and there is no coach that is willing to come here that would be a definitive upgrade.

We will give major credit to the new coach when he exceeds expectations next year. Then when he comes crashing back down we will say that he only won with Sumlin's recruits and that he couldn't do it on his own.

Within 3 to 4 years, in order to prove college football wisdom, old threads stating why Coach ____ shouldn't be hired will be brought back up.

We have done this before.
JayAggie
AG
a little indifferent to be honest. I don't think sumlin is as bad as we all think, but at the same time I get the results need to be better. Our basement (8 wins) has definitely improved under his watch.

Are we a coach away, or a QB away, another recruiting class away from being where we want to be?
EKUAg
AG
peace said:

How many OCs should we go through before the person who hires them gets the ax?

Maroon and White always! EKU/TAMU
JimbosHatBarelyFits
AG
Excited but a tad disappointed that Sumlin didn't work out. I like him and thought he was going to do well. But if we hire Jimbo, then I'm super excited.

We go from Fran to Sherman to Sumlin to Jimbo. We keep getting better and better.

Fran set our program back a bit
Sherman taught us how to play real football again
Sumlin brought us swagger and helped our facilities become top notch and also helped us get rid of the cowtown college perception ( help from JFF)
Jimbo will take everything and get us over the hump and make us a national power (at least I hope)
The Chicken Ranch
AG
Ian Neff said:

I know the rules here. I have been given two options. So I'll go with excited. But I'd like to make an addendum and an asterisk.

*Im sad to lose Sumlin. I'm sad that he can't manage a clock or a quarterback.
I, along with 99% of this board, would have loved for him to have been our guy for 20 years.
But he isn't. And it stinks.

But here's my hope:
We get Frost or Petersen.

And Sumlin goes to TN with Chavis. And they kick butt in the east. And we crush them like ceramic tiles in the SEC championship, beach.

I totally agree with the first part, but I disagree on Frost or Peterson. I'm firmly in the Jimbo Fisher camp as a replacement.
Camino
AG
UCLA
aggiehawg
AG
EKUAg said:

peace said:

How many OCs should we go through before the person who hires them gets the ax?

I think Saban has been through six OCs in his ten years at Bama, IIRC. Applewhite, McElwain, Nussmeier, Kiffin, Sark, Daboll.
sealyaggies
It depends who we hire.
Cardiac Saturday
AG
Not excited because I think it is "...here we go again."
Hoss
AG
I think it's time for Sumlin to go, but I'm reserving my excitement for after I see who we get to replace him. Unless by some miracle Nick Saban or the like comes walking through our door, I'm in wait and see mode.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.