Texas A&M Football
Sponsored by

Coaching Dominoes in the SEC

22,187 Views | 150 Replies | Last: 6 yr ago by . . .
zipp99
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Schu2000 said:

zipp99 said:

I stopped reading at Mike Leach to Nebraska. I guess then it'll be Les Miles to Oregon next.

Lol yes. Nebraska would have to pay Leach so much money he'd totally and completely forget about his lawsuit with Texas and the university of Tceh.

It would have to be dumb money like $8.9 million a year.
Not to mention -- can you imagine Air Nebraska?
"Great spirits have always found violent opposition from mediocrities. The latter cannot understand it when a man does not thoughtlessly submit to hereditary prejudices but honestly and courageously uses his intelligence." (Albert Einstein)

. . .
Mark Schlabach on Gameday:

All signs point to Chip Kelly accepting the UCLA job. Decision could come today or tomorrow. Florida officials are moving on. Bruins prepared to give complete control & a top 10 salary. (Rece Davis: Chip is sorting through final details & will not appear halftimes of ESPN2 games as he normally does.)

Scott Frost plan B for Florida?

Florida will turn their attention to Scott Frost. Florida was hoping to meet with Frost and/or his reps on Sunday. Not sure it will go on as scheduled as they're preparing for Memphis in AAC championship game. Frost also a candidate at Nebraska. Someone close to Frost told me if Tom Osborne comes calling, he'll have a hard time turning down his alma mater.

Tennessee?

They hope to talk to Dan Mullen at some point this week. Meeting has not taken place yet. Mississippi State will make a strong push to keep him. Tennessee has backed away from Matt Campbell. They could not figure out a way around his buyout.

Razorbacks plan?

They'll focus on Gus Malzahn. He has 3 years left on his deal at Auburn, at about $4.7M annually. Talked to someone close to Malzahn last night. They say if Arkansas comes calling, Auburn will have to decide whether it's time to marry or divorce from Gus.
mdag22
If sumlin wins he stays unless we have someone like fisher or even stoops agreeing to come after the season. If we fire sumlin now and get someone like Morris we could be doing this again in 5 or 6 years...
aggiehawg
AG
Quote:

They'll focus on Gus Malzahn. He has 3 years left on his deal at Auburn, at about $4.7M annually. Talked to someone close to Malzahn last night. They say if Arkansas comes calling, Auburn will have to decide whether it's time to marry or divorce from Gus.
Yeppers. And remember the Auburn AD is leaving and under a cloud. Are they gong to let him negotiate with Malzahn for an extension and huge raise? Or just wave buh-bye to Gus and look for someone else??
Deputy Travis Junior
I overheard a couple of Mississippi State boosters discussing Mullen to Tennessee at a swanky club on Thanksgiving. According to them, Mullen's agent has been at Tennessee all week.

Didn't know the guys and can't vouch for them, so overall I'd rate my source reliability at 1 out of 10.
aggiehawg
AG
etcetera said:

hawg: Saw a report from SI this morning mentioning Bielema as a fallback option for Nebraska if Frost doesn't take that job.

Bielema would be a great fit at Nebraska, in my view.
aggiehawg
AG

Sorry, Gators.
DM44
aggiehawg said:

Quote:

Yeppers. And remember the Auburn AD is leaving and under a cloud. Are they gong to let him negotiate with Malzahn for an extension and huge raise? Or just wave buh-bye to Gus and look for someone else??
I saw in an interview that the Auburn President stated the AD will still be actively involved in any 'decisions' by their athletic dept., but those 'decisions' will ultimately be made by him.
dude95
AG
Arkansas would be one of the most difficult jobs for the exact same reason that I thought Bert was going to fail going in - the current players won't fit the system. Just about everyone talked about for that job has a high flying offense behind them. Doesn't seem a fit for their jumbo line and running scheme. I predict years of rebuilding for whoever gets there.

It's not that the cupboard is bare...just not the right players.
Emilio Fantastico
AG
So now it is official, Chip Kelly to UCLA.

Also, Mike Riley fired at Nebraska.

Let the Scott Frost sweepstakes begin as Nebraska and Florida fight for him.

What would that say about Florida if they lose out on both their top choices?
Worm01
AG
I don't usually have sources, but this is the rare case where I do and they are on the FSU side of the coin. All indications are Jimbo is headed to A&M. To the point they are already back channel working on replacements. Likely candidates are Willie Taggart or Scott Frost (although Frost may not be available much longer).

My predictions on how the dominoes fall:

Arkansas - Malzahn. Think he leaves to "go home" and for job security. Think he's pretty annoyed that he seems to always be on the hot seat after everything he's done for them. Auburn will have to extend and raise him and staff or move on, and think they choose the latter.

Auburn - Petrino. if there is one school in the country that has proven they care about absolutely nothing more than winning (See Bruce Pearl), it's Auburn. They get Petrino, who is upset about his boy Jurich getting fired, and half the heads in Arkansas instantly explode. Backup is Muschamp.

Florida - Frost.

Tennessee - Mullen.

Miss. St. - Probably go get Memphis coach. Or Neal Brown from Troy

Ole Miss - Wouldn't surprise me to see Sumlin wind up there. Also think there's a chance they keep Matt Luke after the NCAA hammer absolutely destroys them. They are gonna go in hard and dry on Ole Miss.

aggiehawg
AG
Quote:

Florida - Frost.
Agree with everything EXCEPT this. Osborne calls Frost home and he answers the call. I have seen a lot of gators on message boards saying Charlie Strong is third choice. That would be monumentally dumb, IMO.

After Spur-dog and Meyer, gator fans want OFFENSE!! Main reason the Muschamp hire failed, defensive guy who couldn't get a great OC. Strong has the same problem.
Worm01
AG
aggiehawg said:

Quote:

Florida - Frost.
Agree with everything EXCEPT this. Osborne calls Frost home and he answers the call. I have seen a lot of gators on message boards saying Charlie Strong is third choice. That would be monumentally dumb, IMO.

After Spur-dog and Meyer, gator fans want OFFENSE!! Main reason the Muschamp hire failed, defensive guy who couldn't get a great OC. Strong has the same problem
Not really a SOURCE, but a buddy of mine ran track at Nebraska and knew Frost in HS. He's obviously a huge Husker fan and he doesn't see Frost going home. There's a little animosity between him and a lot of Nebraska natives from when he originally went to Stanford. They felt like he "abandoned" them, and he got pissed back. He was a cocky dude who basically told a bunch of people he was too good to stay close to home. Obviously, he ended up coming back and it all worked out, but point is he's not really the Nebraska homer a lot of people assume. He hasn't really been around since he graduated.

Just speculation, but by buddy says Frost is just a different kind of cat and not one to be persuaded by emotion/feelings/homesickness, etc.

How about this scenario: Jimbo to A&M, Taggart to FSU, and Frost returns to Oregon??
aggiehawg
AG
Taggart quitting Oregon after a year just makes no sense to me. What's the deal?
MSU/SECALUM
Worm01 said:

I don't usually have sources, but this is the rare case where I do and they are on the FSU side of the coin. All indications are Jimbo is headed to A&M. To the point they are already back channel working on replacements. Likely candidates are Willie Taggart or Scott Frost (although Frost may not be available much longer).

Arkansas - Malzahn. Think he leaves to "go home" and for job security. Think he's pretty annoyed that he seems to always be on the hot seat after everything he's done for them. Auburn will have to extend and raise him and staff or move on, and think they choose the latter.

Auburn - Petrino. if there is one school in the country that has proven they care about absolutely nothing more than winning (See Bruce Pearl), it's Auburn. They get Petrino, who is upset about his boy Jurich getting fired, and half the heads in Arkansas instantly explode. Backup is Muschamp.

Florida - Frost.

Tennessee - Mullen.

Ole Miss - Wouldn't surprise me to see Sumlin wind up there. Also think there's a chance they keep Matt Luke after the NCAA hammer absolutely destroys them. They are gonna go in hard and dry on Ole Miss.

Been told Mullen will sign a new four year deal(MS Law 4 year contract) early this coming week for $6M+ and money too keep the coaching staff in place. Tennessee will be hiring Norvell & Ole Miss will be keeping Luke.
Hogtown
If UF doesn't! Get Frost then the average Gator response will be:

DM44
How much will Auburn pay Malzahn to keep him after this win?

Hogtown
sorry, image didn't replicate......the image was of a guy stabbing hims of in the eye....use your imagination.
aggiehawg
AG
Quote:

Been told Mullen will sign a new four year deal(MS Law 4 year contract) early this coming week for $6M+ and money too keep the coaching staff in place. Tennessee will be hiring Norvell & Ole Miss will be keeping Luke.
Mullen didn't have his interview with the Vols?
MSU/SECALUM
aggiehawg said:

Quote:

Mullen didn't have his interview with the Vols?
And he won't.
DM44
From Football Scoop

"After Gus won tonight, several coaches reached out saying Arkansas' search feels like a mess. No one knows who is running the search. Needs clear leadership coaches believe in."
Worm01
AG
aggiehawg said:

Taggart quitting Oregon after a year just makes no sense to me. What's the deal?
Not sure, he just supposedly doesn't like it there. Don't know if he has issues with Admin or just doesn't like living there for some reason. Seems weird, but he's rumored to want out to go back South.
45-70Ag
AG
Greg Schiano to Tennessee is a possibility, according to sports center.
Worm01
AG
Worm01 said:

Florida - Frost.

Tennessee - Mullen.

I think yesterday hurt Arkansas pretty bad. Malzahn will stay put now, if for no other reason than the timing. And Auburn may actually finally step up to the plate to support him. Not sure where that leaves Arky. Leach maybe?? Supposedly they are meeting with him today. I selfishly don't like that because I think he's a good coach, but it would be entertaining.

Tennessee hiring Novell will be a giant whiff by them. Maybe he's a good coach, but they needed a big time hire this go around. They should have at least gone after Petrino, but they are probably less likely to overlook his shenanigans than others are.
aggiehawg
AG
DM44 said:

From Football Scoop

"After Gus won tonight, several coaches reached out saying Arkansas' search feels like a mess. No one knows who is running the search. Needs clear leadership coaches believe in."

Current AD is a puppet. She gets a resume booster for a temp job. The plan we have heard was that Gus gets to pick the his boss at Arkansas. That was assuming Bama won last night. And Malzahn was announced as the new coach sometime this week.

That obviously didn't happen. Now there is a battle brewing over waiting for Malzahn for another week or potentially another month+ or giving up on Malzahn altogether.

There are more than enough contact points under the radar for Malzahn to tell them yes or no. He can promise he's coming if Auburn doesn't make the playoffs; he can promise he'll come even if Auburn wins the natty but the BOT have to decide whether they are willing to wait that long to accommodate him. (Makes staffing a huge problem for both Bielema's current staff and the next Auburn coach, though.)

The stars are not aligning for Malzahn to go back home the way Arkansas wanted. There are going to be a lot of phone calls among the Arkansas PTB's today to get a consensus.
. . .
45-70Ag
AG
Arkansas should have held on to Jeff long and forced him to fire Bert and lead the process towards a new coach.

Without a permanent ad that job won't be filled by anyone they desire and auburn winning didn't help the Gus bus going back to Arkansas.
. . .
aggiehawg
AG
J_R said:

Mullen to Florida? Guess Scott Frost already said no.
Bottlehead90
AG
Or is Mullen trying to get a raise out of msu?
. . .
https://sports.yahoo.com/sources-dan-mullen-targeted-next-head-coach-florida-180842583.html
Quote:

Dan Mullen has been targeted to be the next head coach at Florida, according to sources with direct knowledge of the situation. Yahoo Sports sources also indicated that a decision is expected by the end of the day on Sunday.

Quote:

Florida touched base with Mullen on Friday, following the Egg Bowl loss to Ole Miss. The school had conversations with both Chip Kelly and Scott Frost, who both indicated better fits may be available at a place other than a high-profile SEC school.

Quote:

Mullen was perceived to be Tennessee's No. 1 choice to fill its coaching vacancy, but it's likely that Florida will be able to lure him to Gainesville instead.
Jock 07
AG
So what's going on with frost then?
CapCityAg89
AG
Jock 07 said:

huskers.
bmks270
AG
Jock 07 said:

Come to aggieland....

Guessing Nebraska or hell maybe he likes Orlando and stays at UCF.
Jock 07
AG
I guess nebraska but I really didn't think he'd wind up here.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.