Texas A&M Football
Sponsored by

Coaching Dominoes in the SEC

22,184 Views | 150 Replies | Last: 6 yr ago by . . .
aggiehawg
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Agsuffering@bulaw said:

I dont understand Malzahn's reasoning. Arkie is a recruiting backwater. So great, they go to the dark side. Hugh Freeze tried that. Fun for a few years, but it all came crashing down. Some programs are too big to fail. Arkie is not one of them.

And even if Arkie only buys* a high impact player a year, it would not be enough. Cam had very solid talent around him. Add Cam to Arkie's current team and maybe they get bowl eligible.

So what is the upside for Malzahn? At Arkie, he will have to win by outcoaching the opposition. Houston Nutt tried that, most years it did not work very well.

Is Malzahn so arrogant as to think he can outcoach his way to SEC championships?

*I mean giving dad hundreds of thousands in anonymous donations like Auburn allegedly did with Cam, not bag-man hundred bucks a month stuf that allegedly runs rampant.
You are fundamentally misunderstanding where Arkansas fans are right now. Particularly the ones with big money and access. The last six seasons have been the worst run since WWII, before Broyles got there.

Malzahn is considered (by some with influence and $$$,$$$,$$$$.$$) as the Savior they need.
Mance Lipscomb
Malzahn is not unhappy at Auburn, he likes it, but his heart (and his wife's) is in Arkansas. He has wanted that job for a while now. Gus is not arrogant, but is a confident guy, and very stubborn. He thinks that he can bring Arky up to the level of challenging for the West most years, a far cry from where they are now. He certainly understands the recruiting challenges there, but thinks he can overcome them.
A lot hinges on the outcome of the Iron Bowl and the Auburn AD hire and the timing of that.
aggiehawg
AG
Mance Lipscomb said:

Malzahn is not unhappy at Auburn, he likes it, but his heart (and his wife's) is in Arkansas. He has wanted that job for a while now. Gus is not arrogant, but is a confident guy, and very stubborn. He thinks that he can bring Arky up to the level of challenging for the West most years, a far cry from where they are now. He certainly understands the recruiting challenges there, but thinks he can overcome them.
A lot hinges on the outcome of the Iron Bowl and the Auburn AD hire and the timing of that.
New username, but we have tussled on this board before, haven't we?
Mance Lipscomb
aggiehawg said:

Mance Lipscomb said:

New username, but we have tussled on this board before, haven't we?
Same username, but si....well not a tussle, more of a minor disagreement.
trm94
AG
Gus has always wanted the Arkansas job - that is home to him. And with the fact he has been on the hot seat at Auburn a bit, I could definitely see this playing out
aggiehawg
AG
Got it. The rookie status threw me off.
aggiehawg
AG
trm94 said:

Gus has always wanted the Arkansas job - that is home to him. And with the fact he has been on the hot seat at Auburn a bit, I could definitely see this playing out
More importantly, I'm not seeing much, if any, official pushback from it happening. From Auburn, nor from Nuttlovers on the BOT.
hogfan14
Agsuffering@bulaw said:

So what is the upside for Malzahn? At Arkie, he will have to win by outcoaching the opposition. Houston Nutt tried that, most years it did not work very well.

Looking back on it, Nutt won at least 8 games in 6/10 seasons and went to Atlanta twice. I think most Arkansas fans would be ok with that as long as there aren't the 4-8 seasons mixed in. Petrino was a god here for winning 11 games and that season he only finished 3rd in the division.
HustlerAggie
Agsuffering@bulaw said:

I dont understand Malzahn's reasoning. Arkie is a recruiting backwater. So great, they go to the dark side. Hugh Freeze tried that. Fun for a few years, but it all came crashing down. Some programs are too big to fail. Arkie is not one of them.

And even if Arkie only buys* a high impact player a year, it would not be enough. Cam had very solid talent around him. Add Cam to Arkie's current team and maybe they get bowl eligible.

Is Malzahn so arrogant as to think he can outcoach his way to SEC championships?

*I mean giving dad hundreds of thousands in anonymous donations like Auburn allegedly did with Cam, not bag-man hundred bucks a month stuf that allegedly runs rampant.
Petrino was able to win big that way at Arkie before the motorcycle incident. (went 10-3 and 11-2 his last two seasons and had the Hogs ranked top 5)
Amazing Moves
NoahAg said:

Quote:

Current and Near Enough Coaching Vacancies in the SEC:
Ole Miss
Florida
Tennessee
A&M
Arkansas.
Unfortunately for us, we rank 4 of 5, in terms of desirability:

1 - Florida
2 - A&M
3 - Tenn.
5 - Ark/ Ole Miss

FIFY. Even the Austin radio guys think A&M and Florida are the two best coaching jobs in the country. It's close in their mind. 104.9 hates A&M. A guy who is pretty smart paired with the biggest UT suckass on earth. That should tell you something. I was shocked when I heard them make the correct analyses.

Its more than obvious with the amount of money, facilities and, resources that A&M has to offer. That SEC tag is worth more than a lot of you think. How can we be the #1 richest athletic department per business insider and be considered any less than 2nd.
aggiehawg
AG
hogfan14 said:

Agsuffering@bulaw said:

Looking back on it, Nutt won at least 8 games in 6/10 seasons and went to Atlanta twice. I think most Arkansas fans would be ok with that as long as there aren't the 4-8 seasons mixed in. Petrino was a god here for winning 11 games and that season he only finished 3rd in the division.
Yeah. Timing is everything. Before Nutt, the hogs were in coaching hell. The move to the SEC wasn't kind.

But when the Right Reverend Hometown (Little Rock) Boy, Houston Dale Nutt took the job, things changed.

Look, the Nutt Family has been a big deal in sports in Arkansas for awhile. Houston was a God until Clint Stoerner screwed up with a stupid fumble,
AnalogyAg
Quote:

The Hubs will talk to his Dad tonight (after church where he gets the inside skinny), so I'll know more later.

he sits in the pew just behind the Fish Pond Maintainer.
BOZO
AG
Mance -- where did you get your handle?. I used to hang out on his porch in the late 60's -
#1 Jaylen Henderson Fan
Some team in the east should hire Sumlin, he's only ever lost one game against the east.
Showstopper
AG
Malzahn isn't leaving Auburn for the Arkansas job any more than Saban is leaving Bama for the Ole Miss job. But I'm glad the Arkansas boards get to enjoy a few days of thinking they aren't a have-not.
Meximan
Small dominoes lead to big ones...

Tiger1992
aggiehawg said:

Auburn makes a hard run at Muschamp and he goes back, now South Carolina is open.

Bite your tongue and don't ever even think that again.
Auburn DOES NOT want Muschamp.
(I sincerely hope)
War Damn Eagle!
HustlerAggie
Showstopper said:

Malzahn isn't leaving Auburn for the Arkansas job any more than Saban is leaving Bama for the Ole Miss job. But I'm glad the Arkansas boards get to enjoy a few days of thinking they aren't a have-not.
Hope we can keep the undefeated streak against them going while we are both SEC-West members with the new coach(es).

That is the one game a year I don't really worry about too much.
biobioprof
Showstopper said:

not even close. Hitting an inside straight is low probability but still orders of magnitude higher than the probability of winning the lottery.
bero88
Kelly is going to Florida and Gruden is going to Tennessee so this thread can be deleted.
aggiehawg
AG
bero88 said:

Kelly is going to Florida and Gruden is going to Tennessee so this thread can be deleted.
LOL. Yeah right.
Agsuffering@bulaw
Quote:

He thinks that he can bring Arky up to the level of challenging for the West most years, a far cry from where they are now. He certainly understands the recruiting challenges there, but thinks he can overcome them.

Then he is arrogant.

Nutt won 61% of his games at Arkie and got fired. Malzahn is good enough to win 67% of his games at Auburn, where he can recruit.

I see writing on the wall. Malzahn is not a good enough tactition. Unless Arkie lowers their expectations (acknowledge that they were greedy to fire Nutt), a reasonable person does not bet on Malzahn to keep that job for more than 4-5 years.

Again, I think he is good enough to win 9 games most years at Auburn.
Tamu_mgm
AG
aggiehawg said:

I want to add another thought, this one about Mullen. My gut is telling me he finally leaves Miss State this year.

I know Vols fans are convinced they are getting Gruden but Mullen is who they need...and some reports are that he has signaled that he's open to a move to the Vols. When push comes to shove, Gruden doesn't want a real job and he flakes on Tennessee yet again.

aggiehawg prediction is Mullen goes to the Vols.
Mullen would be an absolute freaking grand slam for Tennesee..........so what that really means is they won't hire him.

He would kill it there though.
HustlerAggie
Agsuffering@bulaw said:

Nutt won 61% of his games at Arkie and got fired.
Nutt left for Ole Miss. He was not fired.
aggiehawg
AG
Update: Reports out of Arkansas is that they expect to have a new AD in place by Jan 1st. And further that AD will make the hiring decision.

Two ways to view this: The BOT wasn't really planning on firing Long but something happened that forced it. They pulled the trigger without a back-up plan. (Unlikely, in my view, as they would have fired Long for cause under that scenario.)

Or, Gus is their guy and this way they can wait until after a potential playoff run and let the recruiting chips fall where they may. Gus also gets to pick his new boss.
MetoliusAg
Sounds like they have their next AD targeted and talks have begun.

Surely they'll have their new coach hired before Jan. 1? Cant afford a missed recruiting class if its avoidable.
aggiehawg
AG
etcetera said:

Sounds like they have their next AD targeted and talks have begun.

Surely they'll have their new coach hired before Jan. 1? Cant afford a missed recruiting class if its avoidable.
Hedging their bets, I expect. The already know whether Malzahn is coming. This way they can tamp down expectations of a quick fire/hire cycle in case Auburn gets into the SEC CCG.
CatmanBoo
Why do people think Arky CAN'T recruit?? They're just as close to Texas as Ole Commode and they're kind of a name program.
TxAg76
AG
aggiehawg said:

bero88 said:

LOL. Yeah right.

Given the Spurrier influence, i think UF's candidates also include:
- Mark Stoops
- Kevin Sumlin (yep, I said it)
aggiehawg
AG
TxAg76 said:

aggiehawg said:

bero88 said:

LOL. Yeah right.

- Mark Stoops
Spurrier got his wings clipped by the Florida AD, Stricklin. Spur-dog had to tweet out that he's not in the circle of trust regarding the hiring decision, but trusts Stricklin to make the hire. lulz.
TxAg76
AG
aggiehawg said:

TxAg76 said:

aggiehawg said:

bero88 said:

LOL. Yeah right.

- Mark Stoops
Spurrier got his wings clipped by the Florida AD, Stricklin. Spur-dog had to tweet out that he's not in the circle of trust regarding the hiring decision, but trusts Stricklin to make the hire. lulz.

Seriously?? Orange/blue jesus got castrated??
aggiehawg
AG
Yeppers.

Quote:

I am not recommending anyone for the job. We all have complete confidence that Scott Stricklin will make the best choice for our school - and we will support his decision 100 percent.
Coach Steve Spurrier added,
[url=https://twitter.com/DarrenHeitner/status/930858949120847873][/url]
His twitter
aggiehawg
AG
Well this is kind of disturbing:

HustlerAggie
aggiehawg said:

Well this is kind of disturbing:

That is an Arkansas State fan from 2012:

http://larrybrownsports.com/college-football/arkansas-state-fan-deformed-right-arm-poster-picture/109484

Then he had a sequel about a year later after Malzahn left again:

https://www.cbssports.com/college-football/news/photo-arkansas-state-fan-wants-his-arm-back-from-gus-malzahn/

aggiehawg
AG
LOL.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.