Texas A&M Football
Sponsored by

Coaching Dominoes in the SEC

22,035 Views | 150 Replies | Last: 6 yr ago by . . .
aggiehawg
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
With Long's firing from Arkansas today and Malzahn suddenly being in play to make a move back home it got me to thinking about back fill.

Picture this scenario:

Current and Near Enough Coaching Vacancies in the SEC:
Ole Miss
Florida
Tennessee
A&M
Arkansas.

Mullen takes either the Florida or Tennessee jobs. Now Miss State is open.
Malzahn goes home to Momma, now Auburn is open.
Auburn makes a hard run at Muschamp and he goes back, now South Carolina is open.

Eight out of 14 teams change HCs. Wow!
texancanuck11
big papi
AG
What if Gus takes Auburn to the playoff this year?

Still leaving?
Phoenix1
Malzahn will not leave for Arkansas. If he's tired on Auburn their will be better opportunities- here, Tennessee, Florida if Kelly falls through, West Coast, etc. He doesn't have to go to Arkansas.
Bob Loblaws Law Blog
AG
What? Since when do we have a school sponsored Dominoes team?
FishingAggie
What are the odds ( if any) Sumlin ends up back in the sec?
aggiehawg
AG
Phoenix1 said:

Malzahn will not leave for Arkansas. If he's tired on Auburn their will be better opportunities- here, Tennessee, Florida if Kelly falls through, West Coast, etc. He doesn't have to go to Arkansas.
Malzahn has wanted the Arkansas job for over a decade. The main thing standing between him and getting that job was Frank Broyles and then Jeff Long. Both are gone.

The wild card is the potential playoff run. If Auburn loses the Iron Bowl, the chance he accepts the Arkansas job is very good. His wife would like to go back to Arkansas.
Phoenix1
aggiehawg said:

Phoenix1 said:

Malzahn has wanted the Arkansas job for over a decade. The main thing standing between him and getting that job was Frank Broyles and then Jeff Long. Both are gone.

The wild card is the potential playoff run. If Auburn loses the Iron Bowl, the chance he accepts the Arkansas job is very good. His wife woul like to go back to Arkansas.

I seriously doubt this is true.
aggiehawg
AG
FishingAggie said:

Ole Miss might take a flyer on him. They will have a hard time getting anybody other than Luke, their Interim. Maybe South Carolina, if Muschamp went back to Auburn.

If Mullen leaves Miss State, they immediately go up the road to Memphis and grab Norvell, in my view.

aggiehawg
AG
Phoenix1 said:

aggiehawg said:

Phoenix1 said:

The wild card is the potential playoff run. If Auburn loses the Iron Bowl, the chance he accepts the Arkansas job is very good. His wife woul like to go back to Arkansas.

Based on what exactly? I've been reading the Arkansas boards and the GusBus is rolling. The Hubs will talk to his Dad tonight (after church where he gets the inside skinny), so I'll know more later.
NoahAg
Quote:

Ole Miss
Florida
Tennessee
A&M
Arkansas.
Unfortunately for us, we rank 4 of 5, in terms of desirability:

1 - Florida
2 - Tenn.
3 - Arkansas/A&M
5 - Ole Miss
aggiehawg
AG
NoahAg said:

Quote:

Ole Miss
Florida
Tennessee
A&M
Arkansas.

1 - Florida
2 - Tenn.
3 - Arkansas/A&M
5 - Ole Miss
We are better than Tennessee in desirability. And Arkansas is a tough job from a recruiting standpoint.
biobioprof
aggiehawg said:

Phoenix1 said:

aggiehawg said:

Phoenix1 said:

Based on what exactly? I've been reading the Arkansas boards and the GusBus is rolling. The Hubs will talk to his Dad tonight (after church where he gets the inside skinny), so I'll know more later.

Finebaum is quoting an Arkansas Democrat-Gazette sports columnist.

Edit to add; the lack of an AD at Auburn makes it even more interesting!
texancanuck11
Everybody rotate clockwise and that's your coach for 5 years. We get orgeron.
Camino
AG
aggiehawg said:

NoahAg said:

Quote:

Ole Miss
Florida
Tennessee
A&M
Arkansas.

1 - Florida
2 - Tenn.
3 - Arkansas/A&M
5 - Ole Miss
We are better than Tennessee in desirability. And Arkansas is a tough job from a recruiting standpoint.
Kevin Sumlin can recruit Texas, which would make him a nice fit at Arkansas. What if we strike out on others and keep Sumlin without extending so he walks for a long term deal with pigs?
aggiehawg
AG
Yeah, Malzahn got his tail feathers burned when he didn't get the job when Nutt left. Then he was torqued when he didn't even get an interview when Petrino was canned, despite being down the road at Arky State. That was when Broyles still wielded a lot of influence.

There has been a power shift at Arkansas. The NW Arkansas high rollers are in charge now and they are on the Gus Bus.

This isn't some big secret.
ABATTBQ87
AG
Quote:

1 - Florida
2 - Tenn.
3 - Arkansas/A&M
5 - Ole Miss
IMO the east will be easier to win the foreseeable future, so taking the Florida or Tennessee job is a much easier road to navigate to Atlanta and winning a conference championship vs. the SEC West & Alabama.
The Lost
ABATTBQ87 said:

Quote:

1 - Florida
2 - Tenn.
3 - Arkansas/A&M
5 - Ole Miss
IMO the east will be easier to win the foreseeable future, so taking the Florida or Tennessee job is a much easier road to navigate to Atlanta and winning a conference championship vs. the SEC West & Alabama.
the day saban retires will make for some craziness as the west will be WIDE open
Agristotle
AG
Arkansas talk includes Chad Morris.
aggiehawg
AG
texancanuck11 said:

Everybody rotate clockwise and that's your coach for 5 years. We get orgeron.
Would be more entertaining counter-clockwise. Saban at Auburn?? Heads would explode.
superunknown
AG
aggiehawg said:

Phoenix1 said:

aggiehawg said:

Phoenix1 said:

This is why i believe you more than most on this board
dirty dan
FishingAggie said:

About the same odd that Les Miles will.
NyAggie
AG
Arkansas is a tough job recruiting wise; they can take Gus but he's going to have a hard time getting the same caliber of players to Arkansas as he gets to auburn

And overall he isn't exactly lighting it up at auburn to the point where he has them in the hunt every year

aggiehawg
AG
NyAggie said:

Arkansas is a tough job recruiting wise; they can take Gus but he's going to have a hard time getting the same caliber of players to Arkansas as he gets to auburn

And overall he isn't exactly lighting it up at auburn to the point where he has them in the hunt every year

I think you are overlooking the obvious here. Who "recruited" Cam Newton?? Malzahn.

Arkansas is going to the dark side and has the money to do it.
leardriver
AG
Ms. aggiehawg (and her hubs) are definitely to be trusted on most things Arkansas. The coaching carousel in the SEC will be a great show over the next few weeks.

Personally, I wouldn't mind seeing Sumlin stay in conference, say, the SEC East.

After the smoke clears, I think we end up with Morris. He possesses that most endearing quality: He would actually take the job... and with minimum drama.

Bill, '67
Sometimes if you want a different answer, you have to ask a different question.
leardriver
AG
Ms Aggiehawg, any update from you (or your Hubs)?

Thanks in advance.

Bill. '67
Sometimes if you want a different answer, you have to ask a different question.
bmc13
AG
lol

aggiehawg
AG
Nothing to take to the bank but the Big Money Hogs are pushing Malzahn pretty heavily and several are on the BOT for Arkansas. The power shift has occurred.

Long was basically fired because he wouldn't hire Malzahn, not because he wouldn't fire Bielema, according to The Hubs' family and friends.

(For background: Long took over for Frank Broyles in 2008. That was during the aftermath of the Nutt/Malzahn fiasco. Emotions were running high and it was his job to quell them. Long may be a Yankee but Broyles taught him quickly how long Southerners can hold a grudge. Long refused to even grant an interview with Malzahn in 2012, after Petrino was canned, for just that reason. Fear it would divide the fan base.)

Best guess right now is much depends on the outcome of the Iron Bowl. If Bama wins, Gus has an offer waiting for his signature. They'll make him say, "No." And as expected, the mere prospect of him returning to U of A is dividing the fan base.
W
AG
you know ol' Tommy Tuberville made an inner-West division coaching switch a while back. So it has happened before
aggiehawg
AG
W said:

you know ol' Tommy Tuberville made an inner-West division coaching switch a while back. So it has happened before
You know Auburn fans considered that a step-up from Ole Miss. From Auburn to Arkansas is not viewed in the same manner.

From my viewpoint, Gus is an odd duck. (And his wife is certifiably nuts.) But one thing Gus is, is stubborn. He's wanted that job for years. If it is offered AND he gets to pick the new AD as his boss?? His ego is too big to turn that down. (Aaannnd, rumors are Houston Nutt is angling for the AD job. Shooting down Houston for that job would be an added BONUS!)
Agsuffering@bulaw
I dont understand Malzahn's reasoning. Arkie is a recruiting backwater. So great, they go to the dark side. Hugh Freeze tried that. Fun for a few years, but it all came crashing down. Some programs are too big to fail. Arkie is not one of them.

And even if Arkie only buys* a high impact player a year, it would not be enough. Cam had very solid talent around him. Add Cam to Arkie's current team and maybe they get bowl eligible.

So what is the upside for Malzahn? At Arkie, he will have to win by outcoaching the opposition. Houston Nutt tried that, most years it did not work very well.

Is Malzahn so arrogant as to think he can outcoach his way to SEC championships?

*I mean giving dad hundreds of thousands in anonymous donations like Auburn allegedly did with Cam, not bag-man hundred bucks a month stuf that allegedly runs rampant.
GeeBee
AG
I'm sure Jerrah jones could write the check for the shabang
aggiehawg
AG
I want to add another thought, this one about Mullen. My gut is telling me he finally leaves Miss State this year.

I know Vols fans are convinced they are getting Gruden but Mullen is who they need...and some reports are that he has signaled that he's open to a move to the Vols. When push comes to shove, Gruden doesn't want a real job and he flakes on Tennessee yet again.

aggiehawg prediction is Mullen goes to the Vols.
Turf_Ag2009
AG
According to Gus' wiki page he is the head coach of the razorbacks. Annual salary is 6.5M
bmc13
AG
I screenshotted that above

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.