Texas A&M Football
Sponsored by

Coaching Dominoes in the SEC

22,188 Views | 150 Replies | Last: 6 yr ago by . . .
MetoliusAg
How long do you want to ignore this user?
I figured Gundy might be a fallback option for Arky, but wow, he is not helping his own case today.

The old white haired purple wizard dude has taken his 1940's single-wing offense and rammed it down Gundy's throat.
aggiehawg
AG
etcetera said:

I figured Gundy might be a fallback option for Arky, but wow, he is not helping his own case today.

The old white haired purple wizard dude has taken his 1940's single-wing offense and rammed it down Gundy's throat.
Gundy wiffed on the Vols job when they hired Butch. He might get some consideration if Mullen turns them down.
jml2621

Frost per UN: "I can promise you that no decision has been made."

He gone.
. . .

Bruce Feldman & Stewart Mandel; taped on Monday morning:

BF: Florida brass flew out to New Hampshire to sit down with him; never any intention no matter how well it went for him to be back on the plane to go back to Gainesville. Meeting from both sides felt it went well but an understanding he'd be deliberate. He finds both jobs appealing for different reasons & we'll see what he decides is best.

Will he wait for other dominoes that might fall?

BF: I think Florida would love to have something decided by/before Thanksgiving. ... Is there a chance another job that could intrigue him? Perhaps but I don't know what it is. Even if Texas A&M can get Jimbo Fisher, my gut is Florida State wouldn't be the school to try & hire Chip Kelly. I don't know that other job. I could see Nebraska being interested? I don't know.

What does UCLA do if they can't get Chip Kelly?

BF: Maybe they could get Kyle Whittingham. They were interested in Kevin Sumlin before. He almost came out here 5 years ago. That's a possibility. There's some interest in Bryan Harsin. Do you raise $12M to get rid of Mora to hire Bryan Harsin? Jedd Fisch, the interim now, did a nice job this year. I know they like him internally.

SM: The name that makes a lot of sense for them is Kevin Sumlin. You mentioned he could get out before they could fire him.

BF: He's not going to get out. They're gonna have to fire him & would owe him $10M. He's worked to put together a recruiting class. He's not leaving before they fire him.

SM: The whole thing could happen kinda back to back.

BF: It could. I'm sure A&M will want to move. Maybe they have someone in mind. We know they have interest in Jimbo Fisher. If they couldn't get him to leave, do they go to someone like Gary Kubiak, who has a lot of Aggie ties? Who knows what Scott Woodward will do from there.

SM: I think Sumlin could do very well at UCLA. It's almost like a Mark Richt situation. Georgia, it was definitely time to make a change there & yet I thought Miami made a good hire. I can't deny it's time for A&M to make a change. 8-4 every year won't get it done at A&M but at UCLA, you're not in the same division as Alabama. You're in the same division as USC. I think he could do pretty well there. If Kelly did come to UCLA, it's the worst possible thing for USC & Oregon. Willie Taggart would be measured against him. If he goes to Florida, that'd be the most exciting thing with SEC coaching in many, many years. We'd begin counting down until...does Florida play Alabama next year? I can't wait for the first match-up if that comes to pass.

BF: Best they've ranked on offense the last 6-7 years is like 89th. It's been brutal. Who better to fix it than Chip Kelly? His protege Scott Frost, now in the same state at UCF, worst offense now the best. To people who say people caught up to the system, take a look at UCF.

SM: It's not that people have caught up to the system. Wherever he lands, he won't be running the same exact offense as in 2010.

BF: Keep in mind, people said Leach's first couple years at WSU, everyone caught up to his system. If you execute it really well, it works.

SM: If you're constantly tweaking it, adding new wrinkles & most of all, have the players.

BF: Players but also how well you execute it. Everyone said they caught up to Leach. ... I wouldn't bet against Chip at Florida. The talent he can get at Florida is more than he can get in Eugene, Oregon.

SM: They don't play Alabama in 2018. The way the SEC is, maybe not until 2030, I don't know. They would face Alabama-light in Georgia. I don't think he'll be scoring 50 points a game with Feleipe Franks. It'll take some time to get his people in place but Oregon could never quite get past the perception in the SEC that that offense wouldn't work against the SEC. He'll face that same scrutiny going into Florida but he can get better players. He can get more physical linemen. He got to the national title game with Darron Thomas as his QB.

BF: He was a head coach four years. In the last 3, he finished 3rd, 4th & 2nd. That's not an accident.

BF: We talked about Dan Mullen, maybe he's the guy at Tennessee. Let me ask you this: who is a better coach, Dan Mullen or Mike Leach?

SM: Random comparison.

BF: It is and it isn't. Dan Mullen's name is out there for a lot of jobs. Leach was a coordinator in the SEC at one time. You're talking about guys who have worked at P5 jobs not that well resourced. They're both offensive guys. The hunch here is Leach would love to be in the mix for some the same jobs Mullen is in on. I'm asking, who is the better coach?

SM: Mike Leach. He has a longer track record. Mullen is a good coach too. You know, it's not that simple. Mullen can translate anywhere. Leach has coached in Lubbock & Pullman, two middle of nowhere places where his unique personality goes over well & isn't controversial in any ways. Many of those things would scare of mainstream programs that Mullen would be in the mix for.

BF: If you're Tennessee, would you be scared of...this program hired Lane Kiffin.

SM: And for that reason, I'd be scared to hire Leach. Leach has spent this season battling Texas Tech for his money on twitter. Think Tennessee wants to deal with that?

BF: I don't think they would. I'm sure that doesn't help his chances for someone else to sign on for that.

SM: I hate to say that but yeah, it's hard for me to imagine him at a place like Tennessee. Speaking of Kiffin, they just clinched a spot in the conference championship game. At the same time, making it less likely he'll ever resurface at a P5 job with the twitter stuff.

BF: I think some P5 AD will take a shot on him at some point. I don't know who that AD is. He'll need more than one good year at FAU. I don't know, someone hired Bobby Petrino.

SM: Yes, Petrino's misconduct was unquestionably worse than anything Kiffin has done but if the idea he's supposed to be more mature... He did a sit down a few weeks ago and said he doesn't care. He'll be himself. He's not worried about proving he's more mature. He wants to make people laugh on twitter. He is who he is. That's great at FAU. There's a possibility & I admit every domino has to fall for this to happen but it's possible half the SEC will change coaches this year. There will be at least 5.

BF: I suspect 6 if Mullen can get a new job.

SM: And the one that could throw things for a loop is Malzahn. There are increasing rumblings he could just get out of there & go to Arkansas.

BF: He's been on the hot seat to some degree for like 2 years running. I always feel like he's one two-game losing streak from being back on the hot seat, no matter how much he wins there. That has to be taxing for your family & certainly for him. He'll have a new AD coming in. If Arkansas loves him & Tyson chicken guys want to throw a ton of money at him, he's still in the SEC West, it's more home. He's a really good coach & has done a nice job there. It feels like Auburn is the craziest of all the crazy jobs.

SM: Without question. ... If I'm him, even if they win the SEC & go to the playoffs, I'm still feeling like I spent 3 years trying to fight for my job, next year we go 8-4, they'll want to fire me again. Arkansas is available, let's do this. If that happens, 7 jobs open, could Lane get any?

BF: I don't think it's on the table. Too risky at this point. ...
aggiehawg
AG
We'll see but I'm sticking with my original premise. SEC is going to have a very active coaching carousel.
SeMgCo87
AG
aggiehawg said:

texancanuck11 said:

Everybody rotate clockwise and that's your coach for 5 years. We get orgeron.
Would be more entertaining counter-clockwise. Saban at Auburn?? Heads would explode.
And we'd get Curly Joe Bielema.

Talk about heads exploding...
aggiehawg
AG
SeMgCo87 said:

aggiehawg said:

texancanuck11 said:

Would be more entertaining counter-clockwise. Saban at Auburn?? Heads would explode.

No. we'd get Malzahn.
SeMgCo87
AG
aggiehawg said:

SeMgCo87 said:

aggiehawg said:

texancanuck11 said:

No. we'd get Malzahn.
Oh, are you thinking after the carousel? Not near as much fun...because LSU would get Sumlin... Mullen would go to Bama, and Luke goes to MSU The collective heads of the SEC would explode then...

MetoliusAg
Florida is a bigger job than Ucla, but at Ucla Kelly could dominate the Pac12 and get into the playoffs more often.

If Kelly does choose Ucla, then Florida has to start looking again. This is gonna be a fun thing to watch.
Agristotle
AG
Thanks for posting all that!
aggiehawg
AG
etcetera said:

Florida is a bigger job than Ucla, but at Ucla Kelly could dominate the Pac12 and get into the playoffs more often.

If Kelly does choose Ucla, then Florida has to start looking again. This is gonna be a fun thing to watch.
Hope Stricklin has a solid and obtainable Plan B, other than Frost. (Who is not obtainable as he is Lincoln bound, IMO.) For the sake of the Gator fans, I hope Plan B isn't Charlie Strong. He was a fish out of water in Austin. In Gainesville he will be in a giant fishbowl. Further, the Gator faithful want offense, offense, offense. Strong has shown he's pretty clueless on that side of the LOS.
TAM85
I believe Gruden is going to Tampa Bay.
aggiehawg
AG
TAM85 said:

Agree. If his ESPN gig is about to go away, NFL is more his wheelhouse.
MetoliusAg
If Kelly chooses Ucla and Frost goes to Nebraska, the next logical question is whether Fuente is willing to leave VaTech yet. He has only been there two years, but if UF, A&M, or Tenn came calling?

Openings:

Florida
A&M
Tennessee
Nebraska
Ucla
Arkansas
Ole Miss

Possible openings:

Florida State
Auburn
Miss State
VaTech

aggiehawg
AG
Fuente stays put, IMO. Foster has a large contract as well as Fuente himself. VaTech is a good job with medium expectations. He could stay there and be very comfortable for a long time.

Now, if Dabo left Clemson for Bama and Clemson came calling, I think he takes that one.
aggiehawg
AG
Don't look now but Auburn may be kicking the tires on a hire they wanted to make over a decade ago--Bobby Petrino. Jacobs is still nominal AD but seems the power brokers are working on a back-up plan in case Malzahn walks.
Iowaggie
AG
aggiehawg said:

FishingAggie said:

What are the odds ( if any) Sumlin ends up back in the sec?
Ole Miss might take a flyer on him. They will have a hard time getting anybody other than Luke, their Interim. Maybe South Carolina, if Muschamp went back to Auburn.

If Mullen leaves Miss State, they immediately go up the road to Memphis and grab Norvell, in my view.

If Arkansas does not get Malzahn, I believe Mike Norvell wants the Arkansas job (not that him wanting it means he gets it).
Played HS football near Dallas, went to college at Central Arkansas. Worked under Malzahn at one point.

I could really see Norvell filling one of the SEC jobs, especially those programs like Tenn, Ole Miss, and MS State that recruit Memphis.

(Then Hugh Freeze back to Memphis?)
MetoliusAg
Auburn and Petrino. I like it. Maybe they'll put the band back together: hire Jurich and Pitino, too. A plaintiff attorney's dream if ever there was one.
aTm2004
AG
TAM85 said:

Chuckles to Florida and Gruden to USF?
ArticPenguin:
I am a middle aged lesbian with two children. In Texas, the GOP would love to claim I am an unfit parent and take my children.

Response when pressed for proof:
I actually have 6 links, and was getting super pissed the more info I looked up...So, look it up yourself, I am not going to fight about something I know to be true, to a person who would just as soon see me in prison or dead.
https://texags.com/forums/16/topics/2948036/replies/51680255
TAM85
I heard the former- Gruden to TB.
. . .
https://www.cbssports.com/college-football/news/coaching-carousel-free-agent-chip-kelly-will-set-the-tone-of-this-silly-season/
Quote:

Gus Malzahn: There is too much buzz out there to believe that Auburn's coach doesn't go to Arkansas if he loses to Bama this week. The fascinating possibility is Malzahn leaving even if he beats Alabama. He'd be welcomed in Fayetteville as a conquering hero where an 8-4 record would get him a bonus. At Auburn, it gets him on the hot seat. You'd have to think an SEC title and College Football Playoff berth keep Gus at Auburn with a hefty raise and extension. Anything less? Hello, Hogs. Oh yeah, one other thing. Bret Bielema still has the Arkansas job.

Tennessee: At last check, the Vols are interested in Kelly, Mike Gundy and David Cutcliffe. If Kelly doesn't come, Cutcliffe could unite the masses. At 63, the Vols' former offensive coordinator is a legacy to the 1998 championship year. And what if he brings in USC offensive coordinator Tee Martin as a sort of coach-in-waiting?

Texas A&M: Haven't heard anything beyond Fisher. The only question -- and it has yet to be answered fully -- is whether Jimbo is serious about leaving his high-paying Florida State job. So far, this is a one-way conversation with no definitive answers. Would Texas A&M take him? Absolutely. Is Jimbo willing to depart Tally? Stay tuned.

Florida State: We told you Mullen has options. He might be the guy if Jimbo leaves for Texas A&M. Notre Dame's Kelly is a speculative choice if the Irish coach prefers access to a wider talent pool.

Kevin Sumlin: Assuming he isn't retained at A&M, Sumlin is a possibility at UCLA and Arizona State. That's assuming ASU doesn't keep Todd Graham, who has the Sun Devils bowl eligible. Beat Arizona this week and it's unlikely Graham gets fired.

Mike Norvell: Sources say the Memphis coach would crawl to Arkansas. That is if Gus doesn't get there first. If Gus goes to The Plains, congrats Mike. Auburn may be calling.

Ole Miss: Sources indicate South Florida coach Charlie Strong is trying to get his name in the mix with the Rebels and Gators.

Texas Tech: If the school decides to pull the plug on Kliff Kingsbury, Sonny Dykes would be a popular choice. Dykes, son of late former Red Raiders coach Spike Dykes, is currently an offensive analyst at TCU.

Nebraska: A possible example of there not being enough coaches to go around. If Frost doesn't come, Nebraska may be in trouble. Mullen would be a possibility if Florida, Florida State or Tennessee don't get him first.

Oregon State: Cal offensive coordinator Beau Baldwin and Virginia coach Bronco Mendenhall were identified as possible candidates in this column.

Kansas State: Bill Snyder gained leverage last week in what could be a messy departure from Manhattan, Kansas. Snyder got the Cats bowl eligible at Oklahoma State. If the 78-year-old Snyder does step down, Oregon defensive coordinator Jim Leavitt remains the logical replacement.
W
AG
etcetera said:

if Kelly chooses UCLA over Florida...I'm thinking the schedule / competition is a huge part of the decision.

right off the bat he knows that Florida is going to play:

Georgia, Tennessee, LSU, and Florida State every year...and then another good West team as part of the crossover rotation or in the SEC title game.

at UCLA...it's Southern Cal every year, but then not another traditional power in the Pac-12 South.

as previously mentioned...much easier road to the CFP through the Pac-12
W
AG
as aside...the Gators' west crossover opponents the next 4 years:

2018 at State
2019 Auburn
2020 at Ole Miss
2021 Alabama
aTm2004
AG
Quote:

if Kelly chooses UCLA over Florida...I'm thinking the schedule / competition is a huge part of the decision.
Clay Travis made a pretty good argument for UCLA over UF yesterday that made sense. Essentially, UF is the best path to the CFP and possible championship, but with it comes UF expectations. He'll be the King in Gainesville and will get noticed everywhere. At UCLA, he'll be able to be more of "just a coach" as UCLA has expectations, but not like UF. He'll also be walking around LA, and 99.8327% of people won't recognize him from Adam.
ArticPenguin:
I am a middle aged lesbian with two children. In Texas, the GOP would love to claim I am an unfit parent and take my children.

Response when pressed for proof:
I actually have 6 links, and was getting super pissed the more info I looked up...So, look it up yourself, I am not going to fight about something I know to be true, to a person who would just as soon see me in prison or dead.
https://texags.com/forums/16/topics/2948036/replies/51680255
HustlerAggie
etcetera said:

Auburn and Petrino. I like it. Maybe they'll put the band back together: hire Jurich and Pitino, too. A plaintiff attorney's dream if ever there was one.

So, Gus goes from Auburn to Arkansas and Arkansas' old coach (Petrino) goes to Auburn.

Talk about some bad blood between those two schools for the next few years...
aggiehawg
AG
etcetera said:

Jurich, maybe but after all of the sturm and drang with their hire of a "reformed" Bruce Pearl?? No way on Pitino.
. . .

http://www.espn.com/espnradio/play?id=21504520

Adam Rittenberg, Chris Low and Mark Schlabach discuss the coaching vacancies in college football and break down the most likely candidates to fill the slots.

AR: Sense on where this is heading with Chip Kelly?

MS: I think he's gonna be deliberate. The fact he hasn't taken the Florida job by now perhaps isn't a good sign for Florida. He made it clear he'll weigh his options. I don't know if he's waiting to see if Texas A&M opens. There's been some rumblings about a big Big Ten job opening by the head coach going to the NFL. Is he waiting on that? Florida is a great opportunity for him. UCLA might be a better fit. We saw how Jim McElwain & some others have wilted in that spotlight down in Gainesville when it's the only show in town. There's a lot more freedom to be yourself & go places in LA because not everyone recognizes the UCLA football coach.

AR: ... How do you look at this as far as what Florida has done in pursuing Kelly?

CL: You take your shot. That's what the Gators have done. I know what that fan base wants: they want someone to come in & light up scoreboards again. Yeah, they want to win & win national championships but want to do it a certain way. That's what Chip Kelly has done offensively. If he doesn't take the job, I don't think there will be egg on their face as long as they get someone that fits there, wants to be there & can handle being in that fish bowl.

AR: If this doesn't work out with Kelly, feels like almost phase 3 of the search. Phase 1 was Scott Frost, then shifted to Chip Kelly as there were rumors of a massive offer to Scott Frost at Nebraska. That obviously hasn't happened yet. It does feel like if Kelly says no, there's phase 3. Is that Frost again? Dan Mullen? What is phase 3 of that search?

MS: I've struggled to figure out if Frost told Florida he was going to Nebraska so they moved away from him & went to Chip Kelly or did Scott Stricklin & others decide Kelly was a better fit than Frost, so now do they go back to Frost. If it's not Frost or Kelly, I think Mullen comes into the picture. Maybe Willie Taggart comes into the picture. Those two & then from there, we'll have to see. I'd be surprised if Taggart or Mullen turned it down. It's a job both would love to have.

AR: Appetite for Mullen? Would there people be standing in the way of Mullen going to Gainesville? He seems to make sense but he hasn't been the focus of the search.

CL: I would not rule Scott Frost out at Florida. That's a possibility. As for Mullen, business is business. If he's the best guy out there, any past issues with Jeremy Foley or others & we've heard Scott Stricklin would feel bad about pulling a guy away from his school, you set all that stuff aside. Absolutely I think Mullen could still get into that. Let me give you a wild card: Dana Holgorsen. Is that a guy they would talk to? I wouldn't rule out them speaking to Holgorsen.

AR: That'd be an interesting move. Let's shift to Tennessee. What are you hearing is the latest in their search?

CL: John is spreading a pretty wide net. He's talked to a lot of people. Coaches in the NFL(not necessarily head coaches), people who are coordinators(some with Tennessee ties), & more than anything, just vetting people trying to get a feel for what Tennessee needs. You talk about fit, Tennessee much more than any of these schools needs the right fit. Someone who can handle what Tennessee is right now. It's a fan base that expects to win 10+ games every year & go to SEC championship games & win them on a regular basis. Over the last 10 years, none of that has happened. I think Mullen is right there. I'm not sure he'd leave Mississippi State for Tennessee. Not saying he wouldn't but certainly not a slam dunk. Matt Campbell at Iowa State is a guy I keep my eyes on if I'm Tennessee. He has a big buyout but Tennessee likes him & I think he'd listen. I would not rule him out at all for that Tennessee job.

AR: I've heard that too. $9.4M buyout. I do know if he leaves there, he wants to take a job where he can compete nationally. Tennessee might be that place. I don't think he'd want to move within the Big 12 & don't think he'd move to a Big Ten job that isn't Michigan or Ohio State. In many ways, Tennessee might be a good spot for him. Thoughts on Campbell/Mullen/Tennessee search?

MS: I'm still trying to remember the words to Rocky Top so when they hire Gruden, I can sing it. I think Mullen would be a great fit. I don't know that Dan would leave Mississippi State for Tennessee right now. He has a really good team coming back next year. They're not losing much. I tried to tell Tennessee people it's a tough job. You have to recruit nationally. That's part of it. Matt Campbell would be a great fit. Mullen would be good. People talk about his record against top 10-15 opponents not being good but 9 out of 10 times, they have better talent than he does. He'd be fine. Norvell, we'll see. I think Matt Campbell, look at what he did at Toledo & one year at Iowa State. If they can get Matt Campbell even with the buyout, I find a way to make it happen.

AR: (Mullen) I know he has a good team coming back but if he doesn't move this cycle with the number of jobs open in the conference or even UCLA or Nebraska, safe to say he may never move if he doesn't move now?

MS: Has to be the right fit. He's been smart about it. He tried for Florida when McElwain was hired & Miami when Richt was hired. He's been selective & hasn't jumped at the next opportunity to get out of Starkville. He's making good money. His wife seems to be happy there. People at Florida who I've talked to over the last couple weeks described him as a bull in a china shop when he was there under Urban & didn't sit well with a lot of people but feel like he has matured and may be better equipped to come back. If it gets beyond Chip Kelly & Scott Frost, I'd be surprised if it wasn't Mullen. He worked with Scott Stricklin. Stricklin likes him & they had a good working relationship. They didn't go out to parties & dinners together but they got along. If Stricklin believes he's the best fit, I think he'll go get him.

CL: If you're Mullen, why leave to go anywhere unless you think you're going somewhere with a really, really good chance to win a national championship. Florida would be that place. UCLA? Texas A&M? I don't blame him. He's been selective, maybe picky. He's had chances but is making a lot of money. If he goes 9 wins, 9 wins and then 5 or 6, he's fine (at Mississippi State). At Tennessee? You'll be where Butch Jones is: unemployed. You can't do that at Tennessee. You're on the proverbial hot seat every year. Who thought 10 years ago, Mississippi State would be paying their head coach $5M a year? No way. Comfort, family, fit, quality of life matters more than they ever have. Kudos for Dan Mullen picking his spots.

AR: Agree. You have to ask yourself as a coach, am I more worried about keeping my job or more worried about winning a national championship? Maybe Dan believes he can win one next year. I find it hard to believe but he's there. Another SEC West coach in a somewhat similar situation but reversed: he's at a school where he can win a championship but may be moving to one where he has comfort & appreciation that Mullen has at Mississippi State: Gus Malzahn at Auburn. Arkansas still has a coach but it doesn't look like he'll keep it too much longer. There's a lot of talk Arkansas is preparing to make a run at Malzahn. Chris, what do you think will happen with Gus/Arkansas/Auburn?

CL: If they beat Bama, he's not going anywhere. Where he's going is up in salary; he'll get an extension & raise. Then it's a one game season for Auburn. Is this as SEC as it gets? 3 weeks ago, most of the chatter around Gus & that program was he's gonna get fired. Now he has a chance to take that team to the playoff. If he beats Alabama, they'd play Georgia, win that, in the playoffs. If they lose, then it could get interesting. Does Auburn drag their feet on an extension & raise? If they do, it's very possible he can be in play at Arkansas. It just depends on what happens Saturday. Arkansas is home for him & his wife. If you go back, you restart your clock. I don't think you'll see it happen if they win Saturday.

AR: I do wonder if he wins Saturday & loses the SEC title game.

MS: I don't know if it changes much. So much rides on the Iron Bowl. If he loses to Alabama for a 4th straight time, odds are greater he takes the Arkansas job. Arkansas fired their AD. He'd be taking the job without knowing who is boss is which would be a risk. He knows that he's a 2-game losing streak away from being on the hot seat at Auburn. They expect him to compete & beat Alabama on a consistent basis. If he can beat Alabama & get one win away, someone close to him told me earlier this week Auburn will have to step up & step up and pay him. He's 44-20 at Auburn but it's been kinda boom or bust. Either really good (NC 2013) or not great the other 3 years(losing at least 5 games). Auburn fans would like more consistency. It's not the greatest of options. It's pretty dysfunctional at Auburn right now with Jay Jacobs stepping down. There's still some questions about how much he or Chip Lindsey is calling plays. At Arkansas, Jeff Long is gone. It'll be interesting to watch.

(23:41)
AR: There's a couple jobs we aren't talking about that could be open that are huge jobs because of surprise movement. One is Auburn, the other is Florida State. Kevin Sumlin has another winning record but likely won't be good enough to keep his job, even if he wins this week vs. LSU. Feels like A&M has been motivated long before the season to make a change. If that job opens, much of the speculation is surrounding Jimbo Fisher & would he want to leave a good situation at Florida State for a new situation in College Station. Why would he leave? There's questions about the administration at Florida State & his relationship there & wanting more, wanting a greater commitment. I spoke to an ACC head coach who said Jimbo gets frustrated in that league. 'Hey, we compete with the SEC everywhere but financially.' That would not be a problem at A&M. Mark, how likely is it we see Jimbo decide to leave for Texas A&M or even Auburn?

MS: It's a possibility. Something has happened down there to where everything that could go wrong has gone wrong. I saw them in the opening game against Alabama & they looked like a top 5 team before Deondre Francois was hurt but no excuse for the way they collapsed this year. Florida State fans' patience is starting to wear thin. He's been accused of being too loyal to his assistants. Charles Kelly, DC, has been on the hot seat last couple years & end up giving him a 5-year extension. The buyout is not huge. It's structured to where he'd have to pay the remaining salaries of his assistants, which comes out somewhere between $5M-$7M. I think it's an option. He's always kinda not been completely satisfied coaching in the ACC. He called it a basketball conference his first few years there. It's gotten better. It seems to be a constant battle between him & the administration and Stan Wilcox, his AD. He wants more, more, more. He's never satisfied with the facilities. He's made some comments here in the last couple of weeks.

AR: Where does Lane Kiffin coach next season?

CL: FAU. He won't jump to just jump. Someone will hire him. Too good of a coach. He'll be Lane but he can coach, recruit & kids relate to him in a big time way. He'll get another job, just not after this first year.

AR: Nebraska Scott Frost or bust?

MS: If Scott were to take Florida, I don't know where they go. Bret Bielema? Craig Bohl? I don't know where they go. They have to make the right hire. Scott Frost, it'll be difficult to turn down Tom Osborne & not return to his alma mater. Ken Niumatalolo? I think it's Scott Frost or bust right now.

AR: And they'll back up the truck for him, I've been told. ... UCLA?

CL: You better bring in someone proven & established. The fascinating guy not mentioned is Mike Leach. Does he fit anywhere?

AR: Heard him a little bit at Arkansas but that would be fascinating, Mike Leach in Hollywood. Ole Miss job?

MS: A lot depends on what the NCAA delivers. A 2nd bowl ban becomes a less attractive job. Willie Taggart's name has come up there. Neal Brown at Troy could be a possibility. Chad Morris at SMU if he's not in play at Texas A&M. Joe Moorhead at Penn State, could he be in the mix? Ole Miss is an attractive job but depends on what the NCAA does.

CL: What about Charlie Strong & Willie Taggart? Neal Brown is another one. Those are some guys that would like to get back into the SEC.

AR: Les Miles, haven't heard a whole lot about him. Any path for him to get back in this year?

CL: College football is better with Les in it. He wants back in it. He thinks there is a place but I'm not hearing a lot of buzz anywhere right now about Les.
Secolobo
AG
Agsuffering@bulaw said:

I dont understand Malzahn's reasoning. Arkie is a recruiting backwater. So great, they go to the dark side. Hugh Freeze tried that. Fun for a few years, but it all came crashing down. Some programs are too big to fail. Arkie is not one of them.

And even if Arkie only buys* a high impact player a year, it would not be enough. Cam had very solid talent around him. Add Cam to Arkie's current team and maybe they get bowl eligible.

So what is the upside for Malzahn? At Arkie, he will have to win by outcoaching the opposition. Houston Nutt tried that, most years it did not work very well.

Is Malzahn so arrogant as to think he can outcoach his way to SEC championships?

*I mean giving dad hundreds of thousands in anonymous donations like Auburn allegedly did with Cam, not bag-man hundred bucks a month stuf that allegedly runs rampant.

Arkie recruits Dallas. That always has been their lifeblood, as is ou's.
Agsuffering@bulaw
Quote:

Don't look now but Auburn may be kicking the tires on a hire they wanted to make over a decade ago--Bobby Petrino.

Any of the other 19 programs with an 80k stadium, I laugh. Only Auburn would do something like that.
MetoliusAg
Fun info to read, even if they are just talking heads. Thks for posting it.

It would be awesome if the reason Chip Kelly hasn't said 'yes' to UF or Ucla is because he has secretly already said 'yes' to A&M.

Oregon and Phil Knight have gotta be ticked off by all the "Taggart leaving "smoke.
MetoliusAg
hawg: Saw a report from SI this morning mentioning Bielema as a fallback option for Nebraska if Frost doesn't take that job.
. . .
https://sports.yahoo.com/college-football-coaching-carousel-predicting-will-go-234329345.html
Quote:

The prediction here for Kelly is that he ends up going to coach at UCLA ...and the following predictions will all fall in line with that.

So with Kelly predicted to go to UCLA, what else happens? (Feel free to call up this story in two weeks and laugh.)
Quote:

Florida
Names: Scott Frost, Dan Mullen, Matt Campbell

Prediction: Scott Frost.
Quote:

Tennessee
Names: Dan Mullen, Matt Campbell, Scott Frost, Greg Schiano, Mike Norvell

Prediction: Matt Campbell.
Quote:

Texas A&M*
Names: Jimbo Fisher, Gary Patterson, Justin Fuente, Mike Gundy, Chad Morris

Prediction: Jimbo Fisher. This is a prediction made with the least confidence. Fisher had overtures from LSU the past two years and declined. That's telling, as LSU is a much better job than Texas A&M, where they haven't won a league title since 1998 and a national title since 1939. Fisher's family situation is complicated, with a recent divorce and a child with a rare medical condition. If he was going to leave, wouldn't he have taken the better gig? There's a strong relationship with athletic director Scott Woodward, but does that trump all the other complications? The one thing we know is that A&M isn't afraid to pay, but there aren't a bevy of coaches on the board dying to go to College Station. Look for Fisher to break the bank if Woodward can land him.
Quote:

Nebraska*
Names: Scott Frost, Mike Leach, Kevin Sumlin, Greg Schiano, Jason Candle, Bret Bielema

Prediction: Mike Leach.
Quote:

Mississippi
Names: Mike Norvell, Mike MacIntyre, Chad Morris, Willie Taggart, Jeremy Pruitt, Matt Luke, Frank Wilson

Prediction: Mike MacIntyre.
Quote:

Arkansas*
Names: Gus Malzahn, Mike Norvell, Chad Morris, Blake Anderson

Prediction: Mike Norvell.
Quote:

Oregon State
Names: Ken Niumatalolo, Beau Baldwin, Mike Bloomgren, Jonathan Smith, Alex Grinch, Ken Norton

Prediction: Beau Baldwin.
Quote:

*Florida State
Names: Willie Taggart, Dan Mullen, Greg Schiano, Matt Campbell, Brian Kelly, Justin Fuente

Prediction: Since it's not open and may well not end up I'm going to pass on the prediction. But this would be the most fascinating search on the board, as Florida State hasn't run a coaching search in basically 40 years. The facilities have slipped at FSU, as Clemson's vision and leadership have led them to build superior infrastructure. (Just ask Jimbo, who has been vocal about the Seminoles slipping behind). But this job is a monster, and there'd be plenty of people lined up for it.
Quote:

*Arizona State
Names: Kevin Sumlin, Mike Norvell, Blake Anderson, Beau Baldwin, Pep Hamilton

Prediction: Kevin Sumlin: This just makes the most sense. There'd have to be a clear upgrade available, and Sumlin is certainly that. He also has a reputation for being a much better people person than Todd Graham, who has a career-long reputation of awkward exits and aggrieved administrators. This exit would cost ASU nearly $12 million.
zipp99
AG
I stopped reading at Mike Leach to Nebraska. I guess then it'll be Les Miles to Oregon next.
"Great spirits have always found violent opposition from mediocrities. The latter cannot understand it when a man does not thoughtlessly submit to hereditary prejudices but honestly and courageously uses his intelligence." (Albert Einstein)

MetoliusAg
Thamel is making a lot of odd guesses.
Shooz in Katy
AG
zipp99 said:

I stopped reading at Mike Leach to Nebraska. I guess then it'll be Les Miles to Oregon next.

Lol yes. Nebraska would have to pay Leach so much money he'd totally and completely forget about his lawsuit with Texas and the university of Tceh.

It would have to be dumb money like $8.9 million a year.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.