Texas A&M Football
Sponsored by

Michael Bennett sits for national anthem

21,683 Views | 198 Replies | Last: 6 yr ago by jml2621
Mike Elko
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
He's as ignorant as they get in the NFL, and that's saying A LOT.
bmorton
AG
His interview on ESPN was near incoherent.
Kozmozag
Would have been great if a antifa had jumped onto the field and hit him over the head with a stick.
Ragoo
AG
take a sit for a cause. just doesn't roll off the tongue the same...
Canyon99
He's not a thug he is just misguided in his thought process.
Fightin Ag491
I wonder why y'all are still so bent out of shape over this.

It's a very disrespectful act, and I would never consider doing anything like it myself. Nevertheless, the constitution gives each person the rights to peaceful protest, and if sitting during the national anthem is a way of doing that, at least it's peaceful. Better that then him being associated with black lives matter, or something to the degree of this white supremacy thing going on in Virginia right now.
trm94
AG
He doesn't claim A&M, and we sure as Hell don't have to claim him either. Paid millions, and protesting - he should protest by not accepting his paycheck for a few weeks.
lakeside aggie
AG
He's a wothless piece of crap.
texancanuck11
If I remember correctly, the kneeling/sitting during the anthem last year was a protest to the current state of affairs in our country, specifically around race related incidents. Would it not make sense, for him to protest the similar incidents following what happened in Charlottsville this weekend? A white woman was murdered by a white man in a car. If he was protesting that, how does that make him a thug?

Maybe, just maybe, he wants Americans to stop killing each other in the name of race.
JodyMcD96
AG
Meximan said:

Ol Rock said:

Very disappointed.

I'm not sure they are articulating why they are doing this very well since I still have not seen it explained.

Whatever their message, not honoring those who stand and have died for the freedoms we enjoy is going to carry their message.

It's stupid that the NFL is okay with this. Why don't we let all of the guys do different political statements.
We can have them wear a patch about who they voted for. We could do a Back the Blue head covering. We could do Little Sister's of the poor purple gloves and pink socks for cancer (I know they already do this).

OR, we could play football and try to at least be unified for our teams and our way of life.

We have a long way to go but we have also come so far! Be a part of our imperfect fabric and be part of the solution to make us all better or move to the country that is better than this one.
They have a right to express themselves. If you don't like it, get out.

See how easily that turns around?

I think the falling rating numbers are people who don't like it "getting out". They have heard the message loud and clear and they are voting with their dollars and their time.
vander54
S
brisket-n-beer said:

RealTalk said:

GetThoseKeysMilo said:

What evidence do you have that he's a "thug"? I've never seen him that way. A little quirky, opinionated...but thug insinuates guns/drugs/violence/gang.
No need to sugarcoat it. He's called a "thug" because he's black. If it was JJ Watt who sat down for the national anthem, you think he be called a "thug"?

I'll take it step further and say people of non-African decent use the word "Thug" as a replacement for nig**r because it's more acceptable. People will deny this, but they know deep down it's true.

And we wonder why we have Nazis coming on campus...

Seriously?

This is a prime example of what is wrong with our country. How do you know this for sure?

There may be some that claim him as a thug because he's black but you are claiming that anyone that calls him a thug is racist and that is wrong. Instead of getting to know why they say it you labeled them. You are no different than the people you claim are racist.

This is not a way to fix the tension or issues that exist. Stop labeling people. Get to know them and figure out why they think the way they do.
TMF
AG
Who cares. Or actually I should say why care? This is his right and we should support his right whether we agree or disagree. All someone can do is choose not to watch his or his companies product. I wish he and others wouldn't use their platform (I'm only talking about gametime) to voice their opinion. I just want to watch football and not turn it into politics. That is probably why I and many others quit watching (or watched much less) last year.
Lungblood

Quote:

That is probably why I and many others quit watching (or watched much less) last year.
It absolutely is... some people just cannot accept this, but it's 100% true.
PatAg
AG
hard to take his civil "stance" seriously

94chem
Quote:

Maybe, just maybe, he wants Americans to stop killing each other in the name of race.
Great, but you make a difference in life by what you stand for, not by what you sit for. Dude thinks he's Rosa Parks, MLK, and Abe Lincoln all rolled into one.

That flag still flies because Americans, through blood and bullets, righted the wrongs of the past, both their own wrongs and those of others. America has never been perfect, nor will it ever be. But as long as the flag flies, it should symbolize our freedom to pursue a more perfect union. Bennett cherishes his freedom so much that he's willing to sit on his butt. JFK would be so proud.
cc10106
Fightin Ag491 said:

It's a very disrespectful act, and I would never consider doing anything like it myself. Nevertheless, the constitution gives each person the rights to peaceful protest, and if sitting during the national anthem is a way of doing that, at least it's peaceful. Better that then him being associated with black lives matter, or something to the degree of this white supremacy thing going on in Virginia right now.
It is getting confusing as to when and how people can protest in this country. So pro athletes who have a means to give back to their communities and actually improve this country and who have a platform to speak for others and not just for themselves cannot exercise their right to peacefully protest. I respect anyone's right to their opinion, but equating Bennett and Lynch to the real thugs in white supremacist groups, Antifa, BLM and others in general that resort to violence to spread fear and intimidation is laughable and offensive.
texancanuck11
94chem said:

Quote:

Great, but you make a difference in life by what you stand for, not by what you sit for. Dude thinks he's Rosa Parks, MLK, and Abe Lincoln all rolled into one.

That flag still flies because Americans, through blood and bullets, righted the wrongs of the past, both their own wrongs and those of others. America has never been perfect, nor will it ever be. But as long as the flag flies, it should symbolize our freedom to pursue a more perfect union. Bennett cherishes his freedom so much that he's willing to sit on his butt. JFK would be so proud.
I agree and understand what you're saying about the flag. I have never and would never kneel or sit during the anthem, but also see what he is trying to accomplish. Sitting/kneeling is the medium that these athletes have to share their voices on the issues. Last year he caught hell for kneeling because he was "pandering to black lives matter". Nobody is going to approach an athlete and say: "what's your opinion on what's going on in the world today" unless they make a stand or do something like this. People listen to what athletes say and they have influence in the community. If taking a seat is what it takes for him to get a microphone to say "killing each other is wrong", then so be it.

Protests are meant to get people talking about the issues, not to be convenient for everyone.
Come Out Roll
AG
He could at least TRY to be original and do something different....but then again ,that would take critical thinking skills, of which by his expressive tome, he's seriously lacking......
Build It
AG
Fightin Ag491 said:

Sure he has the right to do it. That doesn't make him immune to the consequences which includes disgust, hatred, and the need to turn his games off.
cc10106
Even if they didn't sit or kneel for the anthem but were still in the headlines for peacefully protesting by other more creative means, they would still be vilified here and elsewhere.
vander54
S
cc10106 said:

Even if they didn't sit or kneel for the anthem but were still in the headlines for peacefully protesting by other more creative means, they would still be vilified here and elsewhere.

Not necessarily.
texancanuck11
Build It said:

Fightin Ag491 said:

Sure he has the right to do it. That doesn't make him immune to the consequences which includes disgust, hatred, and the need to turn his games off.
Hatred. Really? I'm pretty sure that's the whole point of his peaceful protest: to say that it's wrong to hate because someone is different than you, believes differently, or looks different. If you don't want to watch his games, that's fine, but hatred?

vander54
S
Build It said:

Fightin Ag491 said:

Hatred is taking it a little to far. Hating someone because they don't have the same beliefs is wrong. You can be upset with his approach and that's fine but hating him because he is different than you makes you wrong.
2thFixinAg
Fightin Ag491 said:

The right to protest doesn't obviate an idiot from the negative or positive opinions of others. Anyone that has a job where the money is dependent on a general positive opinion is ******ed to espouse politically charged opinions.

This is why I choose to stay anonymous on message boards and forums. I don't ever want anything I say to bite me in the butt down the road. just takes one wrong thing at the wrong time. Misinterpreted or no and your career is in shambles.

pro football is entirely fan based. smart to never be politically active. Doesn't matter which side you're on... you're going to tick off 40% of the population no matter what.
Build It
AG
Not saying that I hate him for it. I do have disgust. The guys in harms way for our flag certainly have a reason to hate. It doesn't matter what he says to justify it.

And to sum it up what's the old saying "shut up and sing".

Play football and leave the politics out of it.
The_Accountant15
Not surprised one bit, he's been pretty outspoken in the past. Completely despise anyone who sits for the national anthem though, it's a complete slap to the face to those who have fought for our freedom
ILuvAgLand
You would think he would have some respect after all the time he was exposed to the corps on campus
Very disrespectful. I'd like to see admission policies changed so we don't bring in this element to campus.
texancanuck11
ILuvAgLand said:

You would think he would have some respect after all the time he was exposed to the corps on campus
Very disrespectful. I'd like to see admission policies changed so we don't bring in this element to campus.
If you start getting rid of 'elements' on campus, you end up with a seminary. A&M should always welcome different opinions on campus, and the day it stops doing that is the day it will cease to be a great university.
peace
S
What exactly, is Michael Bennett's statement? I mean, what is his protest saying, in as few words as possible? What is he hoping to accomplish?
Liquid Wrench
cc10106 said:

The Bennett boys have always been vilified and hated on this board. It doesn't matter why.
texancanuck11
Anti-violence, pro peace.

His interview yesterday is worth watching, even if you disagree with him, to at least understand his point of view. I posted it earlier in this thread.
Mort Rainey
Surprise, a bunch of people on texags calling a black guy a thug because he isn't behaving the way they want him to.
JPK89
AG
Don't put the camera on these guys.

Problem solved.
S.A. Aggie
AG
I really don't watch the NFL anymore because of stuff like this. The league has lost control. Ratings will continue to drop.
R E L
AG
Good to see

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.