Texas A&M Football
Sponsored by

Michael Bennett sits for national anthem

21,465 Views | 198 Replies | Last: 6 yr ago by jml2621
ColoAg95
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
texancanuck11 said:

Have you taken a minute to at least figure out why he is protesting? Watch his video. He knows why he's protesting. I would venture a guess that most people that are pissed off haven't objectively looked at both sides of the issue before making a judgement.

Extra family time is always better anyways.

Yes Canuck. I have had a little exposure to the subject in the past year. Can you read a newspaper and not be slightly educated about it? And I watched his videos yes. He is against racial injustice, segregation, riots, etc. How specifically will his anthem sitting stop riots, segregation, or social injustice?

Ticking off the type of people he needs to reach can only serve to enlarge the divide and polarize people to the issue. I'm not judging his cause. I generally agree with his issues. I'm saying that anthem sitting is the worst way to actually make change. That is what I meant by "not knowing what is he protesting". Poorly stated. Better stated: MB doesn't understand that the end result of his protesting is contrary to his intent.

Start a foundation. Donate some actual money to educational programs. Get to a school and start changing kids minds with a positive message about equality. Having today's kids listen to other racially insensitive people complain about anthem sitters will hurt his cause and propagate racial inequality.

I talk to my kids about racial inequality. For whatever good comes from my talking about it, they hear 10 other totally negative (and unintentionally racist) opinions about it. We go backwards, and I'd like to avoid the issue altogether. At my core, anthem sitting ticks me off as much as flag burning. I understand the right to do it, and I would not change it. But I don't have to watch it.

We were late to a rodeo last week, and I had to run back to the trailer during the anthem. My 7 year old was standing by himself with his hat over his heart singing quietly. It was a touching dad moment and it made me think about the anthem protests. It's hard for a 7 year old to understand how someone can love their country and disrespect it's national anthem.
Random Ag
AG
TrillOBrien said:

Amazes me how some of you are offended by this but found some reason to give the nazis in Charlottesville the benefit of the doubt.
heddy Lamarr
AG
Good for him. I mean, I don't agree but he obviously feels strong enough about issues of race and whats happening to Kaepernick that hes willing to place his job and public support, especially from Aggies on the line to take a stand (no pun intended).

so, two things...

We can disagree with a cause yet celebrate the fact we live in a country where the government doesn't haul your ass in front of a firing squad when you stand against it...

and second, I am curious...which one of you calling his protest out for being all whatever are African-American?...just curious. I am going to bet...Zero.

BJM1781
AG
He's on CNN live right now.
TheBro
MadisonvilleAg said:

No respect for MB now. This great country gave him the opportunity to make millions and now he disrespects it. Bad Ag.
Would it be different if he wasn't a millionaire? Wasn't this country also founded on a principle that you can freely protest? If so, how is he disrespecting the country by a peaceful, silent protest? What if he goes home every night and pledges allegiance to the flag?
Mort Rainey
ColoAg95 said:

texancanuck11 said:

Have you taken a minute to at least figure out why he is protesting? Watch his video. He knows why he's protesting. I would venture a guess that most people that are pissed off haven't objectively looked at both sides of the issue before making a judgement.

Yes Canuck. I have had a little exposure to the subject in the past year. Can you read a newspaper and not be slightly educated about it? And I watched his videos yes. He is against racial injustice, segregation, riots, etc. How specifically will his anthem sitting stop riots, segregation, or social injustice?

Ticking off the type of people he needs to reach can only serve to enlarge the divide and polarize people to the issue. I'm not judging his cause. I generally agree with his issues. I'm saying that anthem sitting is the worst way to actually make change. That is what I meant by "not knowing what is he protesting". Poorly stated. Better stated: MB doesn't understand that the end result of his protesting is contrary to his intent.

Start a foundation. Donate some actual money to educational programs. Get to a school and start changing kids minds with a positive message about equality. Having today's kids listen to other racially insensitive people complain about anthem sitters will hurt his cause and propagate racial inequality.

I talk to my kids about racial inequality. For whatever good comes from my talking about it, they hear 10 other totally negative (and unintentionally racist) opinions about it. We go backwards, and I'd like to avoid the issue altogether. At my core, anthem sitting ticks me off as much as flag burning. I understand the right to do it, and I would not change it. But I don't have to watch it.

We were late to a rodeo last week, and I had to run back to the trailer during the anthem. My 7 year old was standing by himself with his hat over his heart singing quietly. It was a touching dad moment and it made me think about the anthem protests. It's hard for a 7 year old to understand how someone can love their country and disrespect it's national anthem.

Probably because your 7 year old is white and hasn't had to deal with any of the crap that anyone black deals with their entire life. I'm not sure if that story is supposed to make us well up in tears, but it makes me roll my eyes. Your 7 year old, like everyone his age, has a pretty limited knowledge about the world and how it works, so yeah, this probably doesn't make sense to him. It doesn't have to either.
peace
S
Sad the way things are going currently, the ENEMY WITHIN may be successful in causing the elimination of the National Anthem at any time or event.

I hope things 'bottom out' soon, and some sense returns to our population. But I also have my doubts.
chipotle
Meh, he can sit if he wants. What a country. But if his boss doesn't like it he can fire him. What a country.

oldcrow91
AG
TheBro said:

MadisonvilleAg said:

No respect for MB now. This great country gave him the opportunity to make millions and now he disrespects it. Bad Ag.
Would it be different if he wasn't a millionaire? Wasn't this country also founded on a principle that you can freely protest? If so, how is he disrespecting the country by a peaceful, silent protest? What if he goes home every night and pledges allegiance to the flag?

As has been stated many times. He can peacefully protest.

The folks that disagree with the protest OR the time and place he is doing it, can peacully gripe about it on a message board and they can peacefully tell him AND the NFL to piss off. I rarely missed a cowboy game on TV. Now I rarely see any NFL. If Texas A & M ALLOWED players to do this during football games or removed Sully, After voicing my opinion to more than a message board, I would peacefully tell Texas A&M to PIss off too.
Emilio Fantastico
AG
I can't believe it. The zoo has really let me down. Five pages in and yet nobody has enetered what should've been the first and only reply to the OP.

"He also sits when he pees."
helloag99
RealTalk said:

GetThoseKeysMilo said:

What evidence do you have that he's a "thug"? I've never seen him that way. A little quirky, opinionated...but thug insinuates guns/drugs/violence/gang.
No need to sugarcoat it. He's called a "thug" because he's black. If it was JJ Watt who sat down for the national anthem, you think he be called a "thug"?
JJ Who?
Liquid Wrench

Quote:

I'm not sure if that story is supposed to make us well up in tears, but it makes me roll my eyes.
I didn't even read the story you quoted but I agree with this.

Will never understand why people get upset about stuff like this.
Token
AG
Nothing gets old man white people riled up like someone of color peacefully choosing the protest in their own way.
Falsedawn
AG
Token said:

Nothing gets old man white people riled up like someone of color peacefully choosing the protest in their own way.

"Why don't the blacks say 'yes sir' and 'no sir' and step off the sidewalk when I walk by like they did when I was a boy in 1950s Mississippi?"
OldCorpsTerd86
AG
i don't think he sat while at a&m
mjfrog
AG
He's earned his stripes at a difficult time in our era in regards to football, still an Aggie in my eyes. Perhaps he'll come around in time (on political posturing). No need to demonize him or his brother.
Token
AG
Come around to what? That he's supposed to be in line with whatever you think is right? lol you gonna beat him if he doesn't?
Tamu_mgm
AG
Quote:

"the crap that anyone black deals with their entire life."

such as.....
bjork
ColoAg95 said:

texancanuck11 said:

You're implying he doesn't already do those things.

So, the Michael Bennett Foundation and his annual free football clinics are what, fake news?
mjfrog
AG
I don't agree with his stance on sitting for the anthem. I also don't care. There's also the issue that he doesn't credit A&M when introduced as an NFL starter, which is also emphasized each time he is on a televised game. It's best that we understand his views and leave it at that; else, we appear to be another judgemental group of morons that think every athlete needs to bow down to "white culture" in order to adopt our philosophy. If the Bennet boys brought us a NC, I'm guessing you'd give him a little more rope, right? Aggies should take care of Aggies, let's leave it at that.
Unemployed
AG
bjork said:

ColoAg95 said:

texancanuck11 said:

You're implying he doesn't already do those things.

So, the Michael Bennett Foundation and his annual free football clinics are what, fake news?
https://www.usatoday.com/story/sports/nfl/2017/03/09/michael-bennett-seahawks-endorsements-donating/98956998/

He's a terrible person who doesn't put his money where his mouth is.[/sarcasm]
Token
AG
Tamu_mgm said:

Quote:

such as.....

if I ever met you in person I'd gladly have this conversation with you. List is too long and conversation too in depth to have on a message board.
Tamu_mgm
AG
Token said:

Tamu_mgm said:

Quote:

such as.....

if I ever met you in person I'd gladly have this conversation with you. List is too long and conversation too in depth to have on a message board.
And would be a good discussion I'm sure. I'm not naive to think blacks have had a completely equal experience even the last 20 years, but I also know for a fact it isn't as bad as those with a platform exaggerate it to be. I find it ironic Kaepernick is the one to stand for such issues when he's hardly been through adversity.
Mort Rainey
Tamu_mgm said:

Token said:

Tamu_mgm said:

Quote:

such as.....

And would be a good discussion I'm sure. I'm not naive to think blacks have had a completely equal experience even the last 20 years, but I also know for a fact it isn't as bad as those with a platform exaggerate it to be. I find it ironic Kaepernick is the one to stand for such issues when he's hardly been through adversity.
Where to even begin with this? Kaepernick isn't kneeling because he's been through adversity. He's kneeling because people will pay attention when he does it, because of his platform. That's why he is the one standing for such issues. It's pretty astonishing that an adult human being doesn't get this.

Also, you're actually going to say that you know for a fact what life is like for someone who is a different race than you? How arrogant can you possibly be?
Potcake
AG
mjfrog said:

If the Bennet boys brought us a NC, I'm guessing you'd give him a little more rope

When choosing the wrong expression for a topic
aggiepaintrain
AG
Sitting down during the National Anthem is the most disrespectful thing a person can do.
They should really rethink their approach to this.
FJB
Potcake
AG
aggiepaintrain said:

Sitting down during the National Anthem is the most disrespectful thing a person can do.

Are you even serious?
Mort Rainey
aggiepaintrain said:

The most? Seriously? What about someone burning the American flag while taking a steamy corn filled dump on the head of the Lincoln Memorial? It would still be worse than that?
aggiepaintrain
AG
during the national anthem idiots
FJB
Potcake
AG
aggiepaintrain said:

during the national anthem idiots

Speaking of disrespect
libertyag
AG
Token said:

Tamu_mgm said:

Quote:

such as.....

lol
HoustonAg2106
AG
Tamu_mgm said:

Token said:

Tamu_mgm said:

Quote:

such as.....

People like you are the worst because you're racist and you don't even know it
Mort Rainey
HoustonAg2106 said:

Tamu_mgm said:

Token said:

Tamu_mgm said:

Quote:

such as.....

People like you are the worst because you're racist and you don't even know it
Absolutely. And he'll never even consider that possibility, because he just knows he's right.
Seanzy2012
AG
so....arena football or....???
PatAg
AG
arontc09 said:

I disagree. It is a reasonable decision to make, given that Key, a slave owner, referred to killing slaves. It is possible that he meant impressed sailors, but more likely that when he said hireling, he meant mercenary, and when he said slave, he meant slave.
It doesn't make sense that he would celebrate killing impressed American sailors.
Yea, I love thinking back to my days as a child and going to sporting events and singing that verse of the national anthem.

what the **** are you talking about

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.