Texas A&M Football
Sponsored by

Interesting article about Blow U and the SEC

34,739 Views | 318 Replies | Last: 7 yr ago by aggiehawg
Ex-liberalag12
How long do you want to ignore this user?
http://www.espn.com/blog/big12/post/_/id/113902/would-oklahoma-be-better-off-in-sec

Personally, I don't think it would happen due to the OSU/OU political or legislature link BUT it's close...
DeereTX
That would be awesome but agree they are handcuffed to OSU. I think they would rather be in SEC anyways. They have to look ahead as they are riding a sinking ship now.
fightinag
Don't they have to get permission to leave from tu first ?
agnerd
AG
OU would be better off, but the SEC wouldn't. End of story.
FullDraw
AG
No OU
aggiehawg
AG
quote:
OU would be better off, but the SEC wouldn't. End of story.
Only OU would benefit monetarily from this, the rest of the SEC would not. Nor would our TV partners.

And OU in the SEC West would mean Auburn gets sent East. That is not going to happen.
ntxVol
Wouldn't it be neat if OU could join the SEC? That's all we hear out of the Big12 talking heads it seems.

The SEC expansion from 12 to 14 was a no-brainer IMO. The conference has been pretty pragmatic about expansion and I don't see the SEC doing anything too risky just for short term gains. It has to make sense long term.

I don't believe the SEC will expand at all anytime soon (15-20 years). I also believe that we will most likely see a consolidation at the top of the FBS (long term) rather than expansion but that is a topic for another thread.
Zombie Jon Snow
AG
yeah everything is neat and cool in utopia.

somebody (anybody) tell me the incentive for SEC to go to 16 teams......i'll wait......<crickets>

there are not 2 teams anywhere (that are really available and want to move) that bring enough to the table as far as revenue. period. not in the current model. until something changes this is a non starter.

Al Bula
AG
There is nothing interesting about OU in the SEC.
PCC_80
AG
If I recall correctly, any new team entering into the SEC has to bring about 6.5 Mill potential viewers into the SEC TV footprint in order to keep the $$$$ about the same for all the present members. Oklahoma is a state of about 3 Mill residents, so OU by itself does not meet the mins. In addition, OU would still have to break free of OSU. Two schools from any state is never going to happen. This means that tu is never getting into the SEC because they bring nothing to the SEC. ( I always love saying that)

The SEC has only 2 possible spots left and would like to expand East with schools from Virginia and N. Carolina. Va Tech and NC State are generally mentioned as the best fits into the SEC Culture. These states would be new markets and would bring about 15-16 Mill potential viewers.

I think that if the SEC were able to snag only one of the Va or NC schools but not the other then OU would be a possible alternate since VA or NC plus OU would probably add about 12 Mill potential viewers. The numbers would have to be looked at closely.

The only other way I could see OU getting into the SEC would be if the SEC were to lose a team. The only one that comes to mind is if Missouri were to leave for the B1G. OU would be a possibility as a replacement.
ChemEAg08
AG
The fact that the author thinks that the SEC would want to add fsu or Clemson shows how little he knows about SEC expansion...
kammrath
AG
I think this would be a really good thing...

SEC West
1) A&M
2) OU
3) KU
4) MU
5) ARK
6) LSU
7) Miss
8) Miss St

SEC East
1) Bama
2) Auburn
3) UK
4) Vandy
5) UT
6) GA
7) SCar
8) UF

It may not make short term money sense, but it might make LONG term money sense as it will facilitate the death of the Big 12.
Bottlehead90
AG
No thanks

Scientific
AG
How is OU in the SEC awesome or a good thing?

They were the second biggest recruiting rival.

Arkansas and LSU are already enough.

We left the Big12 for more than one reason, I dont know why we would want old baggage to join us now.
greg.w.h
AG
I think OU believes the 2010 conversation--when most OU fans and probably many A&M fans viewed as a package deal that required OU and viewed A&M as a positive upper for the SEC--is still active as an open opportunity. But several things happened:

1. Both Oklahoma and A&M chose not to follow through on those conversations. OU got blindsided when Dodds pulled out of the relationship with the Pac presumably because they weren't going to be allowed to launch the LHN as a Pac regional equivalent (though not conference owned and not in the two-schools per regional structure). A&M cooled on the move to the Pac (imagine corps trips at Berkeley, Palo Alto, or Seattle...) and that gave Beebe, ESPN, Fox, and Dodds the opportunity to re-negotiate the media rights and make the promise of $20 million each to Texas, OU, and A&M on behalf of the other seven.

2. OU courted the Pac with OkStU in 2011 and was informed that without Texas in the package the Pac wasn't interested.

3. The OU/Texas rivalry got "promoted" from OTA broadcast to FS1 when ESPN chose not to select it this fall.

I think ignoring the TV financials OU is a very good all-around sports school very similar to Alabama. And they have a gymnastics program for women like the majority of the SEC schools. But I'm not sure whether there is a motivating reason for expansion right now unless it clearly strengthens national, in-footprint viewership or moves out of footprint rates higher. I doubt the latter and the former seems limited to in-Oklahoma viewers...
CentexAg
AG
Something will happen when Bevo's Harem breaks up in 20something, but until then I don't see any movement in the 4 remaining conferences. It will be interesting who lands where. My guess- OU/OSU and KU to Big 10, NUT independent or swallows their ego and drops the bongwh*%re network for entrance to the Pac 12 and the rest are left to fend for themselves- TT might get to ride in the trunk with the sips if they promise to swallow the whole way there.
BrandoC
AG
GTFO of here. Your an obvious OU fan. We dont give a **** what you think. Its invalid.
dave94
AG
quote:

SEC West
1) A&M
2) OU
3) KU
4) MU
5) ARK
6) LSU
7) Miss
8) Miss St

SEC East
1) Bama
2) Auburn
3) UK
4) Vandy
5) UT
6) GA
7) SCar
8) UF

It may not make short term money sense, but it might make LONG term money sense as it will facilitate the death of the Big 12.
There will never be a world where Bama and LSU don't play each other every year.

Or a world where KU football sniffs the SEC. Hoops is not a big enough revenue generator to offset that.

i.e., this is a ridiculous hypothetical.
wesag
AG
No
MaroonStain
AG
That idea makes a sane person want to cut things off themselves.
kammrath
AG
quote:
quote:

SEC West
1) A&M
2) OU
3) KU
4) MU
5) ARK
6) LSU
7) Miss
8) Miss St

SEC East
1) Bama
2) Auburn
3) UK
4) Vandy
5) UT
6) GA
7) SCar
8) UF

There will never be a world where Bama and LSU don't play each other every year.

Or a world where KU football sniffs the SEC. Hoops is not a big enough revenue generator to offset that.

i.e., this is a ridiculous hypothetical.
1) Bama and LSU would be every year cross-division rivals as Bama would then be in the same division with their current cross-division rival. Come on man, think.

2) The SEC could use a boost in basketball and another patsy in football. Also KU is an AAU school. Also it is a geographically connected state. It actually fits the criteria just laid out by the SEC commissioner himself.

3) The redoing of the division lines would make a ton of sense both competitive wise and also geographically with travel and such.

I am in no way suggesting it would happen, but the idea is far from "ridiculous."
dave94
AG
Regarding the cross division rivalry, even with a 9-game conference schedule, it's not likely they'd be able to keep them.

Otherwise you're playing the other 7 teams on a very long rotation.

Even the Big Ten will only have 1 yearly cross divisional game.
TxAg76
AG
OU and OkSt won't ever be split, and if the SEC is gonna take on two more teams, it won't be those two due to the lack of $$ sense and lack of added eyeballs.
dave94
AG
And the state of Kansas certainly doesn't bring enough eyeballs to add tv revenue.
hunter2012
AG
Why we would want to do a favor for the sip's b*tches is beyond me. Remember that they hamstrung us by renouncing the $20 million with the sips. They deserve conference purgatory for being complicit with texas for decades.
Spyderman
AG
quote:
That would be awesome but agree they are handcuffed to OSU. I think they would rather be in SEC anyways. They have to look ahead as they are riding a sinking ship now.
W
AG
from the A&M perspective...we don't want any more former BDF teams in the league. Otherwise the SEC West would start looking more and more like the old Big 12...which = boring.

if OU & OSU joined the SEC, the Ags' schedule would be too similar to the 2009-2011 seasons...when the Ags already played OU, OSU, Mizzou, and Arkansas each year. And A&M would lose the big crossover East division games like Florida at Kyle in 2012 and Tennessee at Kyle in 2016.

no thanks
Meximan
"Would Oklahoma be better off in the SEC?"

I'm going to boil that entire article down to one word: Yes. Every school in America that isn't already in the SEC would be better off in the SEC. Even the power programs (USCw, FSU, tOSU) would benefit immediately from the money, the prestige, the recruiting, and the exposure. Every one.
Tamu_mgm
AG
Reality: OU ain't coming to the SEC.
MassAggie97
AG
In defense of the poster above with the map, adding KU and OU basketball to the SEC would make the SEC a powerhouse in all three major sports, every year, without question. Maybe not something that would necessarily pay off monetarily, but interesting anyhow.

And beyond the money having yet another power team like OU in football raises the bar competitively for everyone in the conference.

I don't really understand why people on Texags feel like they have to focus 100% on the negative aspects of something like this.
dave94
AG
Because there are mostly only negative aspects to something like this.
heddy Lamarr
AG
Virginia and North Carolina...
kammrath
AG
quote:
Virginia and North Carolina...
Sure that makes sense in a vacuum....BUT there is a whole landscape of college football to consider. Is it possible to grab those schools with the new ACC deal? Likely not.

So why not poach the Big12 and destroy the Big12 in the process and eliminate some competition from the field? If you destroy the Big12 then suddenly UH, Baylor, TCU, and TT no longer annoyingly steal as many significant recruits from A&M. There is a big draw to play in the Big12 by players whether we like it or not...easier path to a conference title and possibly even the playoff (and easier on their bodies in the process). Destroy the Big12 and have a Power4 and things are better for the SEC and A&M in the long term.
Bullet Tooth Tony
quote:
There is nothing interesting about OU in the SEC.
To the casual observer. To the rabid CFB fan that doesn't have ties to OU or A&M, or maybe Ark and LSU, it would probably be very interesting. A&M would probably have the biggest competition and most to lose of anyone.

Virginia or VT and UNC don't seem to be available in the slightest, but I agree with others that this scenario is what the SEC covets.

One could argue that the SEC waited 25 years for A&M. What makes us think they will not wait 25 years again until the time is right?
technoviking
AG
quote:
In defense of the poster above with the map, adding KU and OU basketball to the SEC would make the SEC a powerhouse in all three major sports, every year, without question. Maybe not something that would necessarily pay off monetarily, but interesting anyhow.

And beyond the money having yet another power team like OU in football raises the bar competitively for everyone in the conference.

I don't really understand why people on Texags feel like they have to focus 100% on the negative aspects of something like this.
it's because most folks on texags have a vested interest in keeping advantages over former rivals. if oklahoma comes to the SEC, they then gain the recruiting advantage of having good commits that say things like "i wanted to play in the SEC but still be close to home", like a&m has had the last few years.

why strengthen your enemy if you have a choice??

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.