Texas A&M Football
Sponsored by

Interesting article about Blow U and the SEC

34,747 Views | 318 Replies | Last: 7 yr ago by aggiehawg
TXAggie2011
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
quote:
So your answer is "the contract can't be that so I'm just going to pretend it isn't"
Nope. I'm just a lawyer who likes sports and keeps up with this stuff.

But I'm curious how much you actually know about this. How much more money did the SEC get from CBS after A&M and Missouri joined?

Here's a real easy google-able one. How much would the Big 12 make if they added teams?
Joe Exotic
AG
None. They did allow the mouse to add games during their formerly exclusive 2:30 time slot though in renegotiations which was helpful to the sec network future inventory.
Joe Exotic
AG
Don't know about he big 12. I don't keep up with piece of **** "conferences".
TXAggie2011
AG
By the way, can you send me the source for where you saw the terms of the contract because that obviously contradicts with everything I've seen or known to be the case.

I think its the only way you'll convince me that adding San Jose State is the best move, in the short, and certainly long-term, for the SEC's coffers.
Junction1956
I see 2011 is still being an ass.

The B1G chose Rutgers and Maryland for two simple reasons.

(1.) TV markets. Rutgers delivers the NY market and overlays Maryland with the Northern Virginia (DC) and the
Philadelphia TV markets, all top ten markets.

OU brings the 35th (OKC) and the 42nd(Tulsa)

(2.) Rutgers and Maryland are AAU institutions.

OU is OU....not an AAU institution. That is what both the B1G and the PAC 12 want. AAU institutions.

The PAC 12 was willing to hold it's nose and add OU. The PAC 12 wanted Texas and Texas A&M, both AAU institutions. That died when Texas A&M decided to go east to the SEC that fit Texas A&M both academically and athletically.

OU is ****ed and they know it.

The ACC is set with its network and ND.

The PAC 12 is set and is 4th place.

The B1G is set and is in 1st place.

The SEC is set and in 2nd place(for now)

OU and Texas are dead last in a ****ty conference holding up last place with 18 schools lining up to be miss runner up on the lido deck of the RMS Titanic simply because no conference network.

Sucks to be OU, Texas's *****.

Quit being a 2%, have some class.

Roll Tide

Joe Exotic
AG
quote:
By the way, can you send me the source for where you saw the terms of the contract because that obviously contradicts with everything I've seen or known to be the case.

I think its the only way you'll convince me that adding San Jose State is the best move, in the short, and certainly long-term, for the SEC's coffers.

So it is news for you
TXAggie2011
AG

I see Junction is forgetting the SEC invited Oklahoma in 2012.
Joe Exotic
AG
quote:

According to OU's president
Joe Exotic
AG
quote:
quote:
quote:

So it is news for you
So you're making it up? Excellent.

Isn't your fat ass ***** of a wife sad that you're ignoring her to pound out a fantasy on Texags?

And a personal attack. I think you've officially conceded.
petey88

what we got here is a crusader
TXAggie2011
AG
Just a test for limp wristed *****es. Back to it.

Where is the link? Do you have any evidence at all that the SEC contracts pays out per capita on state population?

Also, awhile back you said you being a member of a Power 5 conference mattered. Remember all that jazz about Rutgers and the Big East and choosing NC State over Charlotte?

Now, why does that not seem to matter? Why is it San Jose State over Michigan? Charlotte over power conference teams?

Mountain West overtook the Big 10 for power status?
trm94
AG
The door is shut for OU... And they know it. They are stuck in the Little 10 with the sips for quite awhile. They had their chance to leave, and blew it.

Too bad, so sad...
Joe Exotic
AG
quote:
Just a test for limp wristed *****es.

Where is the link? Do you have any evidence that the SEC contracts pays out per capita on state population?

Back to it.

Awhile back you said you being a member of a Power 5 conference mattered. Remember all that jazz about Rutgers and the Big East and choosing NC State over Charlotte.

Now, why does that not seem to matter? Why is it San Jose State over Michigan?

Mountain West overtook the Big 10 for power status?

Is the Sec being given a choice currently between San Jose and Michigan? You need way too many fantasy scenarios to illustrate your points. Might tell you something...
TXAggie2011
AG
Avoiding everything. I think you've officially conceded.
Joe Exotic
AG
Avoiding nothing. Your arguments aren't very good. You seem to have a love affair with a school with limited options. Why? Not sure, but it's clouding your judgement.
ntxVol
quote:
quote:
So your answer is "the contract can't be that so I'm just going to pretend it isn't"
Nope. I'm just a lawyer who likes sports and keeps up with this stuff.

But I'm curious how much you actually know about this. How much more money did the SEC get from CBS after A&M and Missouri joined?

Here's a real easy google-able one. How much would the Big 12 make if they added teams?

I believe CBS screwed themselves when it comes time to renegotiate that deal. I don't believe they negotiated in good faith after adding A&M and Mizzou. I don't believe that will be forgotten.

I think some here are confusing tier 1 value and tier 3 value.

The SECN is tier 3 and in state population matters when adding a team because of the higher subscriber rate. That's the only way to add revenue to the pie short term.

Tier 1 value is where TV ratings matter. CBS has already failed to renegotiate that contract in good faith so nothing is moving the needle there until 2023-2024.
Joe Exotic
AG
Prepare to be hammered on hypothetical fantasies.
TheAngelFlight
You seemed happy to talk about fantasies earlier until asked to back them up...
Joe Exotic
AG
Who are you?
Joe Exotic
AG
Hahaha you forgot to log out of your sock

Junction1956
quote:

Lol,

OU entertained approaching the SEC in 2010. By 2012 the SEC had its 2 schools in Texas A&M and Missouri.
You remember that because 2012 introduced Texas A&M to the nation with Johnny Manziel, the Heisman, and an ass whipping of OU in the 2013 Cotton Bowl.

OU is Texas *****. Texas wasn't going to let OU leave. All Dodds had to do with OU is wave dollar bills as a patron to a stripper and OU lap danced for Bevo.

OU is so ****ed.

Roll Tide
TXAggie2011
AG
Yes. The old premium account. Now the sock. Happy to own it.

So, you have no idea what you're talking about? You just dislike Oklahoma and that's what you know?
Joe Exotic
AG
Sure thing.
TXAggie2011
AG
Junction1956
quote:
Hahaha you forgot to log out of your sock

Epic fail.

Roll Tide
petey88

Okie's have angels ?
TXAggie2011
AG

quote:
I believe CBS screwed themselves when it comes time to renegotiate that deal. I don't believe they negotiated in good faith after adding A&M and Mizzou. I don't believe that will be forgotten.

The SECN is tier 3 and in state population matters when adding a team because of the higher subscriber rate. That's the only way to add revenue to the pie short term.

Tier 1 value is where TV ratings matter. CBS has already failed to renegotiate that contract in good faith so nothing is moving the needle there until 2023-2024.
I don't recall specifically what changed on CBS's front. How many games did they add?
ntxVol
quote:

quote:

I don't recall specifically what changed on CBS's front. How many games did they add?

They added none, they just allow the SECN to air a game during that time slot. But they gained more games to choose from and have profited from that in the ratings.
TXAggie2011
AG

quote:
You need subscribers, though. Payout isn't a function of population. Its a payout of how many folks are expected to actually subscribe. Population is maybe your starting point, not saying its nothing, but it doesn't define subscriptions.

But expansion is going to be driven by looking for actual eyeballs. Everything in the SEC is nationally televised and you're looking to drive national interest at each level, at each tier, as well as finding a school with those rabid locals that will pony up the cash.

ntxVol
quote:

quote:
You need subscribers, though. Payout isn't a function of population. Its a payout of how many folks are expected to actually subscribe.

There SECN gets packaged with ESPNU as well as other sports and non-sports channels. So if your wife wants the lifetime movie network, you will pay for the SECN network as well because they will be packaged together.
Joe Exotic
AG
The sec network gets the additional rate for all subscribers in the ESPN bundle. For example, an 80 year old woman in Missouri who gets the Choice package on Directv so she can watch Lifetime Movies will pay $1.40 of her bill to ESPN/SEC network even if she never watched a second of the SEC network because it's included in that package.
Joe Exotic
AG
Haha great minds and such
TXAggie2011
AG
In the age of cutting chords and ESPN losing millions of subscribers a year, its not so simple anymore for ESPN.
Joe Exotic
AG
quote:
In the age of cutting chords and ESPN losing millions of subscribers a year, its not so simple anymore for ESPN.

Disney will eventually bundle steaming options as well.
ntxVol
quote:

Not so fast, you are looking longterm and the actual net effects of cord cutting can't be quantified just yet. The SEC will not expand based on a hypothetical.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.