Texas A&M Football
Sponsored by

Interesting article about Blow U and the SEC

34,725 Views | 318 Replies | Last: 7 yr ago by aggiehawg
PJYoung
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
quote:
Big deal. A 3.8 rating on a week with very few good matchups. Actually that was the overnight estimate. If you look up the final ratings it was a very pedestrian 3.3.

Some other comparisons
Iowa Nebrasksa drew a 3.9
Army Navy 4.5
OSU Indiana 4.3

You think those are some marquee matchups?

Of course a bunch of good b10 and sec games exceeded it. It was probably 50th rated game of the year. And that's one game. No other game either of them played in surpassed it except OU postseason game.

Ouch. I knew there was a reason it got moved to fs1
Joe Exotic
AG
OU doesn't have a "national brand". Only notre dame can lay claim to that.
Junction1956
quote:
OU and Kansas to the SEC makes sense in so many ways.

(Assuming that the SEC can't get to 16 by adding a couple of ACC schools like North Carolina and Virginia Tech.)

If the SEC wants it to happen, there's probably not much that could be done to stop it. Similarly, I'm not sure that Oklahoma State could do much to prevent it, either.
Respectfully,

OU and Kansas makes no sense what so ever. They do not bring any money to the table.

(1.) why dilute conference shares for TV markets the SEC already has?

(2.) blue look programs, puleeze, the SEC already has those, again,what do these schools offer that the SEC already has?

OU and Kansas are not necessary.

Now, Virginia and North Carolina would be taken in a New York minute for the TV markets. It won't happen because of the prospect of the ACC network and their GOR.

Besides, neither school has the votes.

Roll Tide
TXAggie2011
AG
quote:
quote:
Big deal. A 3.8 rating on a week with very few good matchups. Actually that was the overnight estimate. If you look up the final ratings it was a very pedestrian 3.3.

Some other comparisons
Army Navy 4.5
OSU Indiana 4.3

Of course a bunch of good b10 and sec games exceeded it. It was probably 50th rated game of the year. And that's one game. No other game either of them played in surpassed it except OU postseason game.

Again, it drew the same viewership CBS usually gets for their SEC games. In a year where the game was about the least compelling as it has since TV was invented.

It is moving to FS1 because they're trying to turn that channel into something that competes with ESPN.

But y'all spin whatever direction you want, I guess, and I'll spin my way.
MarathonAg03
AG
quote:
quote:

(Assuming that the SEC can't get to 16 by adding a couple of ACC schools like North Carolina and Virginia Tech.)

If the SEC wants it to happen, there's probably not much that could be done to stop it. Similarly, I'm not sure that Oklahoma State could do much to prevent it, either.
Respectfully,

OU and Kansas makes no sense what so ever. They do not bring any money to the table.

(2.) blue look programs, puleeze, the SEC already has those, again,what do these schools offer that the SEC already has?

Now, Virginia and North Carolina would be taken in a New York minute for the TV markets. It won't happen because of the prospect of the ACC network and their GOR.

Roll Tide

Please enlighten us as to which schools have which votes, since you evidently have so much insider knowledge.
Junction1956
quote:
quote:
quote:

Respectfully,

Roll Tide

Please enlighten us as to which schools have which votes, since you evidently have so much insider knowledge.
Re read the post and it will tell you.

Roll Tide
Agsuffering@bulaw
quote:
Again, it drew the same viewership CBS usually gets for their SEC games. In a year where the game was about the least compelling as it has since TV was invented.

The CBS game is at 2:30 CST, and competes with (most weeks) a good match-up on ABC, Notre Dame home games, and other halfway decent SEC games on ESPN.

The rrs did not have to compete with squat. And it was still a decent match-up on paper. I think ou was a 7 point favorite. Most 11 am games are trash:think baylor/kansas. So the die-hard cfb fans that start-watching games at 11am all probably tuned into the rrs instead of whatever bad BTN game they would have normally watched.
TAMU74
AG
SEC does not need either school today.
IMO the conference is fine as it exist today.
If MO. wants to leave to the big10, the powers that be can look at blow u then, but not now.
However, there are better schools to add before ou.
Ian Neff
AG
NOU
PJYoung
AG
quote:
quote:
quote:

Some other comparisons
Army Navy 4.5
OSU Indiana 4.3

It is moving to FS1 because they're trying to turn that channel into something that competes with ESPN.

But y'all spin whatever direction you want, I guess, and I'll spin my way.

LOL, dude. You don't see it being the only thing to watch on at 11am that day as a big deal? And even then it couldn't get into the top 40 for the year. And this is THE game for OU, tu and the Big 12. Army Navy drew a 4.5! Iowa Nebraska 3.9 Indiana a 4.3.
TXAggie2011
AG
quote:
LOL, dude. You don't see it being the only thing to watch on at 11am that day as a big deal? And even then it couldn't get into the top 40 for the year. And this is THE game for OU, tu and the Big 12. Army Navy drew a 4.5! Iowa Nebraska 3.9 Indiana a 4.3.
LOL, brotato. You don't see Army-Navy just about being the only college game between December 4th and December 19th as a big deal?

And lets see...

The argument is the SEC, if it expands, would want a team from Virginia or North Carolina, right?

Oh, goodie. Virginia Tech and North Carolina played each other at noon on a Saturday, the biggest competition being a game featuring Purdue and Iowa.

How many viewers did they get? 2.086 million.

That's 42% of the viewership for the Texas-OU game.

In fact, the Texas-OU game, out of all 12:00 pm games, only bested by Ohio State-Michigan and Georgia-Penn State in a bowl game. Tied with Michigan-Oregon State.

Those were actually the only few 12:00 pm games to get above about 3-3.5 million viewers.

That would include Ole Miss-Auburn at 3.49 million; Florida-South Carolina at 1.736 million; etc.; etc.

If you don't think OU-Texas draws good viewership, then I don't know what to tell you. If you don't think OU playing in the SEC would draw good viewership, then I'd say you missed OU playing Tennessee. At least Texas was **** this year otherwise maybe the game would have had more normal ratings and say, had the 6 million viewers that OU-Baylor got in an 8pm game competing against Arkansas-LSU (3.7 million); and Oregon-Stanford (2.8 million)

http://www.sportsmediawatch.com/college-football-tv-ratings/
Junction1956
Respectfully,

One game does not make a school attractive to a conference.

Again, OU brings nothing to the table,period.

The 35th and 42nd TV markets do not benefit the SEC. We already have the TV markets and recruits.

Tell me again, why the SEC should even consider OU?

Blue blood? Nope, already have more than enough.

No, should the SEC expand, go east with Virginia and North Carolina. Won't happen because of the ACC network.

OU is stuck in the Big 12

Roll Tide
SECTAMU#1
I think we work on a school from North Carolina and a school from Virginia.
Aftermath
AG
Let's see.....7 national championships.....I think OU has a lot of football history and is a lot more revered program than ours....fans love to see them play....Do I want them , not really,but with expansion coming ,few teams outside of ND would bring more to the table...we would take them. be real folks
crimsonblooded
quote:
Let's see.....7 national championships.....I think OU has a lot of football history and is a lot more revered program than ours....fans love to see them play....Do I want them , not really,but with expansion coming ,few teams outside of ND would bring more to the table...we would take them. be real folks

If I am surfing for a game to watch I will quickly flip past any NC or VA team, with the occasional brief glimpse at VT. If OU is playing and It isn't up against a decent SEC game then I would watch OU. Same could be said of other storied programs. Media people in the SEC that have spoken of OU recently have said what I believe: if. OU wants in, they would get in. But, there are insurmountable objects preventing that, for anytime in the near future.
TXAggie2011
AG
The argument for OU is not one (would be non-conference) game. Of course not. The argument is they're a traditionally excellent athletics department that routinely draws national attention and eyeballs from coast to coast. And for all the excuse making, the numbers support that they draw eyeballs. Year after year.

But again, am I saying I think OU moves to the SEC? No, I'm not saying that.

Anyways, North Carolina...fine.

I think the yearning for a team from Virginia, while sure, it'd be OK, I think it shows people don't fully understand the NOVA (Northern Virginia) area and its preferences for sports.

1) The population is relatively transient. And very few people in NoVa are Virginians.
2) The DC area is a professional sports town.
3) U of Maryland challenges for attention in football and Maryland and Georgetown run that college basketball market.

When Virginia football tanks, so does its support. And Virginia Tech, while it has a great local following, well, Frank Beamer is gone and it wasn't and probably won't be a demanding force across the state or country as far as popularity.
CrazyDayDuck
Very true about the carpet baggers ruining the great state of Virginia.

Northern Virginia is just suburb of DC these days. I love Virginia, but I felt like I needed a shower after visiting the DC area three years ago.
CrazyDayDuck
quote:
quote:
quote:

Respectfully,

Roll Tide

Va Tech and NC St were the top candidates. However, now with the ACC's new TV contract, I don't think either is a possibility for a very long time. Likewise for UNC, UV and even Duke.

Cincinnati is the second largest school in Ohio with 43k students. It's consistently at the top of the non-Power 5 conference schools as far as revenue from athletics. The geography works too since Ohio is next to Kentucky.

The other I would look at is East Carolina. Similar to Cincinnati but a little smaller school (27k) and a few spots lower as far as the non-Power 5 schools with regards to revenue from athletics (although still among the top). However, it gets the SEC into North Carolina.

I just don't see Zero U or Kansas coming to the SEC. Not enough television sets in those states.
TXAggie2011
AG
Well, I can't see the SEC adding a team that is physically proximate to North Carolina television sets for the sake of having a team physically proximate to North Carolina television sets.

Sorry UNC-Charlotte, you're stuck in C-USA for the time being.
DisTex
AG
Am I wrong or when A&M came into the SEC, the SEC was courting OU. What has changed? MU was the backup plan. I agree the SEC would rather have a NC and Virginia School. I think that ship has sailed. Unless NC state and VT bail. I don't see NC leaving their fellow NC schools. NC state could.

So the next big shakeup will be when OU Texas and KU leave the Big 12.

Take off your maroon colored glasses.
Texas will be a desirable target for the BIG, the PAC and the ACC. And a defensive target for the SEC. to keep the other conferences from receiving money by delivering Texas Tvs. I think Texas doesn't want SEC. The only way they would consider if OU was heading that way.

The conference with the least amount of options is the PAC. They really need tu OU. KU and probably OSU.

I don't see a good tu to BIG option unless they take OU KU tu. I don't see a fourth team from the Big 12.
That's assuming they are going to 18 or 20. Or. 32 by taking the ACC teams.

The ACC is the more stable conference and may try to get a central time zone Group from the Big 12.
technoviking
AG
quote:
quote:
i disagree that adding OU would increase the stature of the SEC. the SEC's stature is already where it needs to be.
Agree to disagree. By your logic, Google should've rejected the opportunity to acquire Android because "they're already pretty great". The more big-name, high-profile schools attached to our conference (and detached from others, BTW), the better our entire conference is, and the higher profile.

quote:
and I also disagree with the idea that being in the SEC is not a recruiting tool in and of itself. i have seen too many recruits commit to a&m that said: "I wanted to play in the SEC"
I didn't say it wasn't a recruiting tool. I just said it's overblown. While many recruits probably know that the SEC is perceived as superior, I also think conference affiliation is pretty far down on the list of reasons that a recruit picks a school. And many of the times I've heard recruits mention the SEC in press conferences or interviews the question asked was something along the lines of "how much did being able to compete in the SEC factor into your decision".

I know it's been a while, however, i recently read an article that may make you reconsider your position on being in the SEC as being overblown for recruiting purposes:

http://247sports.com/Bolt/How-Texas-AM-has-continued-to-reload-in-the-SEC-46724006

Here are some pertinent excerpts from the article:

"Texas A&M has finished better than fifth in the SEC recruiting class rankings just once in the last five years but in the Top 20 nationally all five of those cycles. In the five previous years when the Aggies were in the Big 12, they finished better than fifth three times but in the Top 20 of the national recruiting class rankings just twice and not once in the Top 15, something they've done three of the last four years while in the SEC."

"Over the last five years, Texas A&M has averaged 260.13 247Sports Composite recruiting points 53.99 more than in the previous five years. The Aggies' average national recruiting class ranking in the last five years is 11.8, compared to 27.2 in the five years before that when they were in the Big 12."

"Texas A&M had only one five-star signing in its last five years in the Big 12...When the Aggies failed to ink a five-star prospect in this year's recruiting class, it was the first time since they were in the Big 12 they didn't sign at least one five-star prospect. They have eight in the last five cycles (since being in the SEC)."

Being in the SEC is an irrefutable recruiting advantage, especially when you factor in the amount of money the SEC is bringing in for us to keep our facilities state of the art to continue being appealing to blue chip recruits.

Just thought you should be aware of the facts.
AggieDadx3
quote:
quote:
JI think this would be a really good thing...

SEC West
1) A&M
2) OU
3) KU
4) MU
5) ARK
6) LSU
7) Miss
8) Miss St

SEC East
1) Bama
2) Auburn
3) UK
4) Vandy
5) UT
6) GA
7) SCar
8) UF

It may not make short term money sense, but it might make LONG term money sense as it will facilitate the death of the Big 12.
There will never be a world where Bama and LSU don't play each other every year.

Or a world where KU football sniffs the SEC. Hoops is not a big enough revenue generator to offset that.

i.e., this is a ridiculous hypothetical.
Couldn't have said it better myself!!
Eff tu
bamaoldtimer
Having OU in the SEC is Gold. Won't happen but they have my vote. Other than Ou, I would say Texas. See, in the future, ESPN will be competing with Amazon, Google, Facebook, etc. These companies are sitting on hordes of cash. Programming will be pay per view . Quality match ups will draw viewers. Internet streaming will replace cable. The conferences will get a bigger cut than currently.

Example: Bama vs Texas A&M at 7pm draws 7 million viewers. Ok, to go to game ticket, transportation, etc might be 200 dollars or more. Would you sign up with Amazon to pay 15.00 to watch. Let's say only half are willing to pay. Let's say of the original 7 million, there are 3,000,000 TV sets x 15 dollars or 45 million. Let's say Amazon deducts 1/2 for productions costs etc. that leaves 22.5 million / by 2 or 11.25 million per school for a Saturday game.

This is the future. Compelling match ups and BIG money for everyone.

This is why Texas and OU would be matches for any conference.

This is why the big 12 is deadman walking. Other than Texas and OU, who cares.

This big boys will become fabulously wealthy. We are heading for semi pro college ball and I'm all for it.

The big boys will pay players to stay in school, finish their degree. That very small percent going to the pros will continue to do so.

The marginal juniors who think they are good enough, will remain to get the paycheck and degree.

Decades from now, I see the big ten, SEC, ACC, Pac Ten, Big 12 forming a super league of 32 teams.

Those in will play each other and the playoff and championship game will come from this league. The Houstons, TCU's, Baylors, Vanderbilts, etc of the world will become D2 programs.

Have a great day. Only 20 days till kickoff.
ntxVol
Bamaoldtimer,
I disagree. I think the real money will be with tier 1 games via broadcast networks. They will reach the most homes as many cord cutters will still recieve their signals over the air.

tu and OU are the last two schools that can add tier 1 value assuming the big12 doesn't survive.

I don't believe there is any real money to be made on a PPV basis.
CrazyDayDuck
quote:
Am I wrong or when A&M came into the SEC, the SEC was courting OU. What has changed? MU was the backup plan. I agree the SEC would rather have a NC and Virginia School. I think that ship has sailed. Unless NC state and VT bail. I don't see NC leaving their fellow NC schools. NC state could.

Texas will be a desirable target for the BIG, the PAC and the ACC. And a defensive target for the SEC. to keep the other conferences from receiving money by delivering Texas Tvs. I think Texas doesn't want SEC. The only way they would consider if OU was heading that way.

The conference with the least amount of options is the PAC. They really need tu OU. KU and probably OSU.

I don't see a good tu to BIG option unless they take OU KU tu. I don't see a fourth team from the Big 12.

The ACC is the more stable conference and may try to get a central time zone Group from the Big 12.

Zero U and Okie St are basically a packaged deal, which is why they and tu will probably end up in the PAC.

KU could end up there too, but it just seems like the B1G is a better fit. Tech would probably be the fourth team to go to the PAC should KU go to the B1G.

If that was to happen and the SEC was to pick up some BDF schools, my guess is that it would look at Iowa St, K State and West Va. All work geographically (Both Iowa and Kansas are next to Missouri and West Va is next to Kentucky). However, all are in small states.

With the new ACC contract, there really is not a whole lot of good options now, and there may never be. Which is why Silva is in no rush to expand

Cincy, East Carolina, Iowa St, K State and West Va would be the schools I would consider. I'm sure Silva is looking at the numbers and has a great grasp of the situation.

Regardless, the SEC and B1G are heads and shoulders above the other conferences now and will stay that way for a few years.

It's great to be in the SEC.
TennesseeVol
LoL!!! Go over on LT (Land Thieves) and look at a B12 membership application I made for them. It's under 'Conference Realignment and Hospice'.
crimsonblooded
quote:
quote:

If that was to happen and the SEC was to pick up some BDF schools, my guess is that it would look at Iowa St, K State and West Va. All work geographically (Both Iowa and Kansas are next to Missouri and West Va is next to Kentucky).

I think I just threw up in my mouth a little. Not only NO, but HEAVENS NO!

This is the SEC..... it is a knife fight in a ditch, among brothers.
JJxvi
AG
Go ahead and get 8 team divisional alignments out of your head. Never happen. A 16 team conference will use rotating divisions or pods so everyone plays each other more often and preserve more yearly rivalries . Two 8 team divisions is two separate conferences.
MarathonAg03
AG
quote:
quote:

Zero U and Okie St are basically a packaged deal, which is why they and tu will probably end up in the PAC.

KU could end up there too, but it just seems like the B1G is a better fit. Tech would probably be the fourth team to go to the PAC should KU go to the B1G.

If that was to happen and the SEC was to pick up some BDF schools, my guess is that it would look at Iowa St, K State and West Va. All work geographically (Both Iowa and Kansas are next to Missouri and West Va is next to Kentucky). However, all are in small states.

With the new ACC contract, there really is not a whole lot of good options now, and there may never be. Which is why Silva is in no rush to expand

Cincy, East Carolina, Iowa St, K State and West Va would be the schools I would consider. I'm sure Silva is looking at the numbers and has a great grasp of the situation.

Regardless, the SEC and B1G are heads and shoulders above the other conferences now and will stay that way for a few years.

I'm afraid you have no idea what you're talking about.

By the way, who is Silva?
CrazyDayDuck
quote:
quote:
quote:

If that was to happen and the SEC was to pick up some BDF schools, my guess is that it would look at Iowa St, K State and West Va. All work geographically (Both Iowa and Kansas are next to Missouri and West Va is next to Kentucky).

I think I just threw up in my mouth a little. Not only NO, but HEAVENS NO!

This is the SEC..... it is a knife fight in a ditch, among brothers.

Point being, with the new ACC contract, there really is not any good options for the SEC. Which is why the SEC is not even talking about expansion right now.

Taking two schools (Zero U and Okie St) from a small state (Oklahoma) is as bad as an option as there is, which is why I doubt it will happen.

The only ones really pushing another realignment are the ones stuck in a dying conference (tu and Zero U).

Tuck Fexas and that scumbag Stoops as well.
CrazyDayDuck
quote:
quote:
quote:

I'm afraid you have no idea what you're talking about.

By the way, who is Silva?

Says the guy who openly admits to being clueless.

Silve was the previous SEC Commish that wanted a NC and VA school. I assume the SEC under Sankey still wants that but it's not going to happen with the new ACC television contract.

Bottom line is that the SEC is not expanding anytime soon and Zero U is stuck in the BDF as long as ESPN has the albatross of the LHN hung around its neck.

I regret reading this thread and responding to it. This is as silly as talking about who would win in a fight between Batman and Superman.
BMX Bandit

Cincy, East Carolina, Iowa St, K State and West Va Will Never be in the SEC.

"Silva" isn't looking at any numbers or involved with expansion
West Point Aggie
AG
quote:
LoL!!! Go over on LT (Land Thieves) and look at a B12 membership application I made for them. It's under 'Conference Realignment and Hospice'.

That was you, huh? Hilarity!!!

I've cut and pasted it many times...I gave credit to some unknown Vol
rhart
AG
You can't look at ou's tv market as the state's population of 3mm. The tv market is a function of the quality of the game...ou vs bama or florida or A&M beats the sh*t out of any big 12 matchup, and would draw a national audience. If we add teams to the SEC, we need to add quality athletic programs that increase the quality of competition in the major sports. NC, ou and ou light would fit the bill.
crimsonblooded
quote:
You can't look at ou's tv market as the state's population of 3mm. The tv market is a function of the quality of the game...ou vs bama or florida or A&M beats the sh*t out of any big 12 matchup, and would draw a national audience. If we add teams to the SEC, we need to add quality athletic programs that increase the quality of competition in the major sports. NC, ou and ou light would fit the bill.

Bingo!

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.