Texas A&M Football
Sponsored by

White Gold Aggie Ring

107,716 Views | 183 Replies | Last: 4 yr ago by AgPediRPh
84HartAg
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Why is this on the football board?

Take it to the GB!
txag2k
AG
Sorry, still think it looks like a High School ring.
Foreign2%er
Your mom still looks like a high school ring
BullSprig07
AG
Hot damn, mugsy, I LIKE it!!! Those are "STICKA Rings".
JMH
AG
Same ring as yours. Two different views. I've never regretted my decision. I think going without antiquing is more against the grain then not goin' with yellow gold.

I like how one poster said, we haven't even talked about those with diamonds. You purists are talkin' silly.
nkc1981
AG
White gold here. I just dont like the look of yellow gold jewelry. And the natural finish ones look way too gaudy on guys in my opinion. If i'm gonna have it on everyday, i'd rather wear something that I like how it looks instead of worrying about who does or doesn't recognize it as an Aggie ring...couldnt care less
AW 1880
AG
Here in South Carolina, I am often approached by Citadel grads because our rings are similar.
heddy Lamarr
AG
very stylish

MouthBQ98
AG
I went for the 10K gold (durable and cheaper) with the natural finish. I figured antiquing is just fake grode, and I could let real grode build up on mine if I wanted to..so went natural. Plus it is nice and shiny when you clean it if you want it to stand out a little.

White gold? Probably not my thing, though if you like it that's fine. It should look aggie enough so long as it has a tiny tinge of yellow like most white gold, instead of looking completely silver. Whatever floats your boat...its still an earned aggie ring with the same seal on it.
Louis Armstrong
txag2K, only cheese balls actually bought a high school class ring. and the one's that were sold at my high school were gold.
coonag85
i had a goth guy in class back in '85 that got a female white gold Aggie ring and wore it on his pinky for non-conformance.
jrw05
Yes, white gold with antiqued look like a hs ring.
aarjon
any pictures of the rose gold ring??
GoneGirl
AG
Maybe? Looks like it anyway

Harry Dunne
quote:
i had a goth guy in class back in '85 that got a female white gold Aggie ring and wore it on his pinky for non-conformance.

That's...awesome.
94 Aggie
Blackness
Professional Ag
quote:
Professional Ag, I always heard that platinum is considerably harder than gold.

Hardness was probably the wrong term. It won't wear out the same as gold, but it will get "dinged up" easier. My wedding ring is proof.
spaceag07
AG
quote:
Professional Ag, I always heard that platinum is considerably harder than gold.

http://www.matweb.com/search/DataSheet.aspx?MatID=85
http://www.matweb.com/search/DataSheet.aspx?MatID=7

Yup. CP Platinum has a Vickers hardness of 40. Pure Gold has a Vickers hardness of 25. Can't find a hardness value for 10k...
hans_12thman
AG
That reply was to quackshackAg
Aftermath
AG
White gold ring is like a clip-on tie,or a dickie.Some guys like them,kind of like strechy pants,"they're for fun".
I Drink Your Milkshake
AG
Suck it?

Dude, c'mon.
Red Velvet
quote:
Serious question here, can you get a platinum Aggie Ring?

No jewelry comes into contact with my skin unless it's platinum.

Just ask AFS. I spoke with a girl several years ago who said she ordered a white gold Aggie ring and then had her ring dipped in platinum. I didn't think it was possible as I thought she would lose some of the finer detailing on the ring. I can't imagine how expensive that had to have been though on top of the ring itself.
GoneGirl
AG
quote:
ORIGINAL YELLOW GOLD RING

Wasn't an option during the early 90's. Lots of folks would get the rose finish, then take it to a jeweler to get stripped.
Bowlinag
AG
The ttu ring makes me laugh. I was at a bar with some friends and the bartender had a ttu ring that looked like my Aggie ring. He got all excited and asked me when I graduated. I told him, "No this one is from A&M where you guys got the design."

He spilled 5 drinks that he had just put on a tray for a waitress stumbling over his words. I grabbed my 2 beers and walked off laughing.

Kinda felt bad for the guy after.
ThunderCougarFalconBird
AG
quote:
and to answer your question, yes I believe you can get one in platinum.

To clear up confusion from my recent (monday) experience:

YOU CANNOT GET A PLATINUM AGGIE RING. The only non-gold option offered is an alloy of silver and palladium that is slightly lighter yellow than gold with an antique finish (only, natural is not available). It was first offered for religious purposes (Muslim students that cannot wear gold) and soon people that have topical reactions to gold jumped on the bandwagon. I recently had my original 10k ring stolen (car was broken into) but I could not wear it for more than about 20 minutes at a time because my skin would react quickly.

I called the ring office to ask about other options, and they said that the "Polara" (palladium/silver alloy) ring was the only non-gold option available. It cost $278. I will actually be able to wear it regularly. The current 10k price is $822. I am curious when undergrads with less money will start requesting the non-gold ring so that they don't have to starve themselves for a semester or sell their bodies just to get an Aggie ring.

FWIW, I will be getting my "polara" ring on June 13
Bowlinag
AG
Congrats. Nice that you will be able to wear it more.

[This message has been edited by Bowlinag (edited 4/9/2008 11:35p).]
Louis Armstrong
yellow gold looks like mack brown's yella teeth.
phoenix491
AG
quote:
Wasn't an option during the early 90's. Lots of folks would get the rose finish, then take it to a jeweler to get stripped.

That's what I did ... John Huntley stripped it for me, and it looked 100% better. Before, it was essentially orange. No bueno.
kristin87ag
AG
To me, it doesn't look like a 'true' Aggie ring if it's not yellow gold. Even though I don't like yellow gold, my Aggie ring is the only yellow gold piece of jewelery I wear...all my other jewlery is silver, platinum, or white gold.
TXAG 05
AG
The current price for a 10K is $822? That is almost twice what I paid 4 years ago
olarmy69
We had new army back in my days also. While drinking with AG Pilot buddies in New Orleans before going out to fleet, met a new Ag. His ring was a stand out. I asked him the details about it.

He said while out with fleet he left his ring with new Non aggie wife and told her while he was gone she was to take ring to local jewelers and put a stone in it. He returned home to see the shield totally removed and a ruby in it's place. He did not have the heart to tell her she did wrong. Still wears it to this day.
SO SAD. Moral of the story AGS you dont need to worry about the little things like color of gold on your ring
olarmy69
We had new army back in my days also. While drinking with AG Pilot buddies in New Orleans before going out to fleet, met a new Ag. His ring was a stand out. I asked him the details about it.

He said while out with fleet he left his ring with new Non aggie wife and told her while he was gone she was to take ring to local jewelers and put a stone in it. He returned home to see the shield totally removed and a ruby in it's place. He did not have the heart to tell her she did wrong. Still wears it to this day.
SO SAD. Moral of the story AGS you don't need to worry about the little things like color of gold on your ring
Ancalagon06
the Polara ring sounds kind of cool, actually.
Ancalagon06
the Polara ring sounds kind of cool, actually.
aTm papi
White Gold FTW! I've never been a gold person, and I don't like the color.

Fightin' Texas Aggie Class of 2002

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.