Texas A&M Football
Sponsored by

White Gold Aggie Ring

107,721 Views | 183 Replies | Last: 4 yr ago by AgPediRPh
JJxvi
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Ring snobs.

New Army lives at Reed Arena
Buck Compton
AG
I remember looking at the rings from way back when in the Hagler center when I got mine last semester, the old ones had rubies in them. I think it would look great with a small ruby (.1 carat) where the diamond would go, the smallest diamond you can get, the one that doesn't screw up the shield. Either way, I love my 10k natural, the '12 looks especially good on it...

The price for 10k currently on the website is $1048, probably because the price of gold has skyrocketed in the last few years....
Aggie1806
AG
I support white gold or silver over a graduate not wearing one at all. I don't understand those who elect not to wear one when financially able to do so.
chipotle
meh, it will turn yellow later anyway
jeffk
AG
Wife has hers in white gold to match the wedding ring.
Randy03
AG
I saw this thread and I was like .. man TexAgs just repeats the same old crap over and over, but no .. this is actually the same thread I posted on almost 3 years ago. Why did someone gravedig it?
steadfasttuna
AG
Does anyone have a pic of the 'polara' ring? My friend that just graduated cannot afford the 1000 for a gold ring, sounds like a good option for him.

ps. I CANNOT WAIT TO GET MY RING!!

Fightin' Texas Aggie Class of 2013!
Randy03
AG
Lay some sod for a month or so on the side and you got your $1000.

Hard work never killed anyone.
jeffk
AG
^not necessarily true.

But getting a job isn't a bad idea anyway.
steadfasttuna
AG
I am already saving for mine! He figured he could get the cheaper one now and when he had the extra cash (after paying off student loans) he could get a gold one.

Fightin' Texas Aggie Class of 2013!
Braxton.Sherrill
AG
Wear your white gold ring for two years and magic it becomes yellow gold.

The white of white gold is a plating not actual gold.
DisTex
AG
It's under more options

http://www.aggienetwork.com/ring/buildring.aspx

You can also get a cheaper Polara ring for about $278.
Johnny Z
AG
I have a Rose Gold ring (Class of '01) and to be honest, you can't really tell a difference between the Rose and the Natural. The Rose is supposed to be a deeper shade of yellow. I think because it was plated in 24K gold, but not positive.
JJxvi
AG
quote:
Wear your white gold ring for two years and magic it becomes yellow gold.

2 years, huh?
bigtruckguy3500

Not all the same ring, but I believe they are all polara.

And I know someone with white gold, and he's had it for much more than 2 years and it looks exactly the same, just a little more banged up.
superbowlringd
White gold is harder and wears better.
TMoney2007
AG
I would've gotten a rose gold ring and had it stripped if the option was available when I ordered.

I don't think any of the aggie rings are plated...
fixiekatie
Does anyone know anything about the Polara rings? Google search yields nothing and Balfour's site says nothing about the material.

I lost mine and for that price, I could finally replace it. Gold has about as much value to me as a piece of celery, so if they look similar and don't affect my skin, it's really just a matter of $500 vs less than $200. It just kind of weirds me out how they have no info on what exactly this "Polara" is or what it looks like.
St Hedwig Aggie
AG
What is even crazier is that some of us wear the ring on the left hand!!!

A few may faint...but I prefer to leave my writing hand free of obstructions!
cartercreek1995
I selected a white gold ring 12 years ago because ...I'm not a rapper. I don't wear gold chains or teeth or anything gold. The only other jewelry I wear is a titanium (silver-look) wedding band and silver looking watch. So...yellow gold would've been weird to me. All the previous generations of Aggies in my family didn't give me **** about it, but I guess that's why I come to texags. If they offer a lime-green ring to my sons, then what the hell, still an Aggie ring.
xfactor91
Man I paid $250 for my ring in 1991!
Imsodopey
AG
think i paid $130 for mine in '79
DDowl44
AG
My father posted on this board as I am '09 and he is '82. I never doubted what color I wanted as I wanted to have white gold just like him. I also plan on being able to wear mine overseas when I am deployed in the Middle East as yellow Gold is effiminate there. I also do not own any yellow gold jewelry as the only other piece of jewelry I wear is a cross given to me by my father for my confirmation. I hope that if I have a child that he/she will wear both the cross and a white gold Aggie ring just like their grandfather and me. And anyone who doubts my Aggieness can contact me and Ill be sure to show them the video of me singing Jesus loves me (the first song I learned) and then the Aggie War Hymn (the second song I learned).

I cannot fiddle but I can build a great state from a small city-Themistocles
Fighting Texas Aggie Class of 2009
Titan 20
True to our Corps could ask no more
Bast damn outfit on Campus
Scientific
AG
Wow, has the price of gold gone up. The price for a 10K today was the price for a 14K only what, last year or so? Glad I got mine when I did.
Sq1dvm
AG
Got a 10k in '00 for 400 seems like. That sound right to anyone from back then?
acidic36
AG
i dont wear gold jewelry, i went white gold!!
mid90
AG
To all the ****** bags complaining about the white gold ring: the cheapest men's gold ring is nearly $1100. The white gold is around $300. Unless you want to shell out the difference I suggest you can it.
Jewfish
AG
quote:
To all the ****** bags complaining about the white gold ring: the cheapest men's gold ring is nearly $1100. The white gold is around $300. Unless you want to shell out the difference I suggest you can it.

WRONG! The white gold's the same exact price as the other gold rings.
rcb05
AG
quote:
The white of white gold is a plating not actual gold.

Yes it is. It's just gold dipped in rhodium, which makes it look silver. You are right though that after a few years the yellow will begin to show through and you'll have to get it re-dipped.
JJxvi
AG
Dipping a gold in rhodium to make "white gold" is kind of a new fangled cheapie thing isnt it? Im pretty sure Balfour does white gold by casting out of a gold alloyed with another metal (10k yellow gold is also an alloy, anybody with 10k ring, yellow or white is wearing more of some othe rmetal in their ring than actual gold) that gives it a white color. Ive never seen an Aggie ring give a hint of turning gold, unless some of the people Ive met with gold ones had white gold ones first while other people's rings havn't turned in 15-20 years...

New Army lives at Reed Arena

[This message has been edited by JJxvi (edited 1/27/2011 4:53p).]
britt_restivo
so nobody knows really exactly what it is or has had one? i just want to know if it will last as long as the other ones. a 200 dollar ring sounds so much better than 500 but i dont want it to fall apart easily because the material is cheap. it says its 75%sterling silver and 25% palladium.
j16low04
quote:
I know a couple guys who stoped wearing theres because they hate the, "Are you and Aggie question?"

Sounds like those couple guys need to lighten up.
Robbh
AG
I have a white gold ring. Got it about 10 years ago. I have opened up hundreds of bottles, broken a windshield, rubbed it against concrete, bricks, and many other surfaces. Still white gold. If it's plating (as opposed to solid) isn't not coming off anytime soon.

Very rarely does somebody not instantly recognize it as an Aggie ring. For those who say it's not because it's not yellow gold: find something better to ***** about. A&M has made leaps and bounds on the national stage in the last 20 years because they've found ways to evolve traditions. Also, my family has probably been around A&M before yours too considering I have my great grandfathers 1913 ring.

[This message has been edited by Robbh (edited 8/19/2013 11:28p).]
AggieBQ03
AG
Terrible thread bump.
aggiewoodie
AG
FYI-

White Gold is, and always has been, an alloy of gold and some whiter metals like palladium and silver, often rhodium plated to normalize the color to a better white.

Polara is a silver + palladium alloy that is white, but, to my eye, an almost chrome-like color. It shouldn't wear as badly as white gold. It's offered because Muslims can't wear any jewelry with gold in it, as per their religion.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.