Health & Fitness
Sponsored by

Ready to finally lose the weight? My IMF Success Story

84,334 Views | 399 Replies | Last: 2 yr ago by Tailgate88
Vernada
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Gomer95 said:

Can I do IMF at the same time that I am doing a keto diet or keto paleo diet? I was thinking of combining the two to lose weight.
yes
Gomer95
AG
Cool. Thanks!
Dad
AG
After reading this thread and watching some videos I started daily 16-18 hr IF along with daily exercise a little over 8 weeks ago. Currently down 18 pounds with a lot more to go to reach my goal weight. I am currently prediabetic.

I recently bought Jason Fung's fasting book which I have only read a portion of so far but I have a few questions after seeing the benefits of the extended fasts and trying today and failing.

I have zero issues fasting 16-18 hours and feel like I could do it daily for the rest of my life. Today, I set a goal to make it 24 hours just to see what it was like. I got hungry of course during the time I normally eat lunch but I felt the hunger go away and thought I would surely make it to 24 hours but 21 hours into my fast while talking to a patient I suddenly felt anxious and a little shaky and I thought my sugar might be crashing. I didn't have time to check my sugar so I just broke the fast by eating a snack I had in my office. The weird thing about it was that the anxiety pretty much instantly went away the moment I started eating so I wonder if it was really even a sugar crash. I've had those before but it seemed to take a little while after eating to feel better.

Has this happened to anyone else? What should I do? Right now I am thinking of trying again tomorrow when I won't be working and if I get anxious I can check my sugar and see if it is a moment I can get through.
bilbobag
Tailgate please check your messages..

Or

If anyone has his PDF, I would appreciate a copy
Tailgate88
AG
bilbobag said:

Tailgate please check your messages..

Or

If anyone has his PDF, I would appreciate a copy

Checked and replied.
AGGIE WH08P
AG
I'd love a copy of the pdf file as well!
John_5684 @ y@h0o.c0m. Thanks!
Tailgate88
AG
Email sent!
AGGIE WH08P
AG
Gracies! Can't wait to read it!

Question for you IF folks...
When it comes to weigh tracking, I'm guilt of checking my weight every morning. I tell myself it holds me more accountable on a daily basis. I usually weight at 5am before I head to the gym.

Here is my issue/gripe. If I do a 18-22 hour fast and my first meal is around 2-4pm, I'm consuming a bunch of calories in 4-6 hour window. Usually I break my fast with a big protein shake (400-500 cal) then have dinner around 6:30. Maybe 1,000-1500 cal. When I weigh in later the next morning, I'm not happy with what I see. Scale never changes. +/- 1-2 lbs. However, when I started checking my weight right before I break my fast, I feel like it's a better representation of where I am. No joke, I can change 5 lbs from 5am til 2pm with only drinking water. Daily!

Anyone else experience this?
AgFB
AG
Did you try again? I've had a similar anxiety hit when I started an extended fast.
tailgating hall of fame
I began my IMF journey on Sunday - I'm 6 ' 5, 261 lbs. fasting for 18 hours, eating in a 6 hour window. I'm down 8 pounds as of this morning. I'm happy with the weight loss, I'm currently on meds for high blood pressure and cholesterol and hoping weight loss will help with that, but I just wanted to make sure that this is normal for the first week. I figure I'll be down 11 - 13 pounds by the end of the first week.
Tailgate88
AG
Howdy all!

Hope everyone is enjoying the last gasps of summer. IS IT FOOTBALL SEASON YET?

So the Weekday Fast book final edits are done and it's off to the designer to lay out the interior. It will be available on Amazon hopefully in a couple weeks. Seeings as this thread was deleted once before due to a misunderstanding by the mods that I was trying to sell something to my friends on TexAgs, let me reiterate that it is my intention to give it away free to anyone on this thread. Basically, the Kindle version will be available at the lowest price Amazon allows for the first couple weeks, 99 cents. I realize that isn't technically free, but to make it "free", I will donate $1 for every Kindle book sold at $.99 to the Mercy Project. So basically, donate $1 to the Mercy Project and you get a free copy of the book.

For those of you who have read the PDF, I have a request for you. There is a blog post on my website. I hesitate to post the link but knowing the name of the book hopefully you can figure it out.

I am really grateful for all of you. It is really cool to see so many of you that have had success with intermittent fasting.

Thanks!

Markus

beanbean
Anyone still doing this? I'm down from 185 to 154 after starting IMF the first week of April. I have only been doing 16-8 this whole time. Never tried the 2-5 500 calorie day thing. Plateaued out for a while in the low 160's but started to mix some running and weight lifting into it and now I'm past my original goal of 155. I eat pretty clean during the day, but for dinner I still eat what I want. Just don't stuff myself like I always have.

I've lost 4 inches off my waist. Had to buy a bunch of new pairs of pants. 45 years old and I'm in better shape than I was in my 20's. I was always a little chunky back then. Cannot believe this transformation happened because I totally cut out breakfast.

To the OP, thank you so much for starting this thread. It's changing my life.
Vernada
AG
That's awesome. I'm in the same place. Down 35 lbs or so. Waist down 4 sizes. Off BP meds.

Basically life changing.
Post removed:
by user
KY AG
AG
Starting this program today.

6'1"/264/48" waist.

Looking forward to the book when it releases, but currently reading Mosley's 'the Fast diet'.
selk
AG
Starting 16:8
Current 269
Post removed:
by user
Dad
AG
AgFB said:

Did you try again? I've had a similar anxiety hit when I started an extended fast.

I'm sorry I didn't see your post. I've since been able to nail down the 22-24 hour fast two to three days per week with no anxiety issues. I don't think it was a sugar crash and outside of that incident fasting has gone great.
Dad
AG
brucoh said:

Anyone still doing this? I'm down from 185 to 154 after starting IMF the first week of April. I have only been doing 16-8 this whole time. Never tried the 2-5 500 calorie day thing. Plateaued out for a while in the low 160's but started to mix some running and weight lifting into it and now I'm past my original goal of 155. I eat pretty clean during the day, but for dinner I still eat what I want. Just don't stuff myself like I always have.

I've lost 4 inches off my waist. Had to buy a bunch of new pairs of pants. 45 years old and I'm in better shape than I was in my 20's. I was always a little chunky back then. Cannot believe this transformation happened because I totally cut out breakfast.

I'm still doing it and I am four months in. I am down 35 pounds but still overweight and unhealthy because I let myself go so badly before starting this.

SW: 235 CW: 200 GW: Somewhere between 155-170 depending on health markers and what the mirror shows.

I did a HBA1C before starting and I was nearly diabetic and now it is normal. My triglycerides went from nearly 300 to now 63. My total cholesterol was high and is now on the high end of normal but my HDL and LDL ratio still sucks. I am trying to lose more weight and eat more fiber to see if that helps. Still have high blood pressure but taking half of my original dosage.

My goals are based on getting thin enough that hopefully those obesity associated health issues go away. I know there is a chance I could lose all the weight and still have issues but regardless I am better off thin than obese.

One thing i have learned along the way is that calories in calories out still matter with Inermittent fasting. I weigh every day to see how my body responds to various meals and fasting times. I have noticed that if I am a glutton during my two meals I might gain weight. If I eat only one meal I usually lose weight but once I went crazy at a Pappadeaxs and actually weighed more the next day. I have found that for me intermittent fasting is a tool to help me create a calorie deficit without being hungry and miserable all the time but I still have to try and regularly make good decisions when it comes to eating.
Tailgate88
AG
KY AG said:

Starting this program today.

6'1"/264/48" waist.

Looking forward to the book when it releases, but currently reading Mosley's 'the Fast diet'.
KY Ag I'm sorry I missed your email - just sent you a link to the PDF.

All, sorry I've been out of pocket, had a huge project get dumped in my lap at work and everything was pushed back, but the *final* edit is now in the hands of the person who is formatting it for Amazon etc. so hopefully I'll have an actual book ready by the end of the month.

Glad everyone is doing well!

Tailgate88
AG
brucoh said:

You are absolutely welcome - It's changed my life too. As I've said - once I discovered IMF (thanks to Mosley's book initially) and *finally* found something that worked after 20 years of trying and failing to lose weight, I knew I had to make it my mission in life to spread the word.

And hopefully all of you will do the same!
KY AG
AG
Thanks for the pdf!

I'm on Day 4 right now - Tuesday and today (Thursday) have been my 5/2 days. A few comments:

• I'm down about 9.5 lbs, or 3.5% from my starting weight
  • I'm down 1", or 2%, from my starting waistline
  • The first 5/2 day was hard - but I managed, and today's 5/2 seems a lot easier
  • I've found carbonated water and chewing gum to be a great distraction for hunger pain
  • I've tried "get up and go" and I think a large portion of my success can be attributed to that

All in all pretty good so far. My only goal is to KEEP GOING.

Thanks again!
General Omar
Tailgate,

Very interesting thread and I am going to do it! Could I get a copy of your pdf?
bhthorne57@yahoo.com and thank you for the thread.
General Omar '79
AggieRAGE
AG
I started IMF in late August after my physical showed higher cholesterol levels. This is a hereditary issue for me but the Doctor is gave me until October to lower it.

Fast forward to this week and have another blood draw. Since doing IMF I am down 12lbs (184 to 172). However, all of my bad cholesterol levels slightly went up as well as my blood sugar and my good cholesterol went down. Diet has improved and drinking tons of water.

Not sure what is going on or if it's just something I can't change due to genetics. My follow up visit is next week and I'm probably heading towards cholesterol medicine. Anyone else experience this?
claym711
AG
I developed blood sugar issues doing IMF as well, which I never had before. I'm in shape, 6'4 200, so not a fatty issue. Couldn't figure it out, so I quit.
Tailgate88
AG
CastleRock said:

General Omar said:

Tailgate,

Very interesting thread and I am going to do it! Could I get a copy of your pdf?
bhthorne57@yahoo.com and thank you for the thread.
If you get it, forward it to me at txextrastuff AT gmail

been asking for a week or two, no response
Apologies - I've been slammed at work and have not kept up with TexAgs as much as usual! Just emailed you both a link.
General Omar
Thanks again Tailgate for the pdf...very well written and motivational. After watching the video and reading both your book and Moseley's Fast Diet updated book, I am 2 weeks into it and down 8 lbs. It has motivated me to look harder at my diet. I have always relied on working out to allow me to eat what I want and not have weight difficulties, but at 62 am finding that diet HAS to enter into the equation. I appreciate the thread and all the information.
General Omar '79
Tabasco
AG
Any chance I can get pdf? Been meaning to ask for many months.

Tabascoag at gmail
KY AG
AG
One month check-in:

1. I've lost 19.8 pounds, or 7.5% of my starting weight.
2. I've lost 2 inches on my waist, or 4.2%.
3. I've completed 10 fast days (less than 600 calories)
4. Every week day that's not a fast day has been an 8/16 day, with a goal of sub-2400 calories.
5. Weekends I eat whatever, sometimes I fast in the morning, sometimes I don't, sometimes I eat 3000+ calories. I generally don't care on weekends.

Overall I'm content with the results thus far. The most I ever lost in one month on Keto was 18 pounds, so this is pretty phenomenal.

I think I'm most satisfied with the fact that this seems sustainable. I've gotten into a groove now and I'm generally okay with the schedule. With Keto I always had a tremendous amount of anxiety with meal-planning, and trying like hell to stay on Keto, particularly with a travel-heavy job. Now, I'm pretty relaxed - if I eat bad one meal, who cares.

Some lessons learned:
1. Carbonated water is extremely helpful (LaCroix pineapple strawberry is my jam).
2. Gum is helpful.
3. Walking in the morning is really the key to successful weight loss. I had a week where I stalled around 248. Looking back on the data, due to my schedule I had not walked at all that week. The very next week I was walking again and the weight loss resumed.

Thanks again Tailgate!
KY AG
AG
I should also post some other supplemental benefits:

1. My mind has been extraordinarily stable this month, even on gluttonous weekends. Thus...
2. I've crushed 4 books this month.
3. My productivity (measured by pomodoros), is up pretty dramatically.
4. I've been more inclined to tackle projects that I kept punting on. Thus, my "Adjustment" score (if you've ever taken a Hogan exam) has dramatically improved.
5. My ability to wake up has improved pretty substantially - some mornings now I'm waking up before my alarm (5:24), which is pretty unheard of for me.

Surprised somewhat by all of this.
Tailgate88
AG
Tabasco said:

Tabascoag at gmail
Email sent!
Tailgate88
AG
Thanks for sharing your experiences KY AG!
Tabasco
AG
Tailgate88 said:

Tabasco said:

Tabascoag at gmail
Email sent!
Thanks!
Tailgate88
AG
Vernada,

Could you shoot me an email at markus <at> weekdayfast <dot> com? I appreciate the testimonial you did on my website but wanted to get your permission to use it on the book cover.

Thanks!

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.