Health & Fitness
Sponsored by

Ready to finally lose the weight? My IMF Success Story

84,329 Views | 399 Replies | Last: 2 yr ago by Tailgate88
Tailgate88
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
I'm not distributing the PDF any longer, but you can get the paperback for $4.99 at Amazon, or you can install a Kindle app on your device or computer to read the Kindle version.

Thanks!
Markus
chupacabra tacos
AG
Got my book today! I look forward to reading and starting this week.
First scan through looks great!
NomadicAggie
AG
Has anyone experienced headaches while doing IMF? I've been careful to stay hydrated but have had a headache the last couple of days.
JJWAGGIE
AG
Got my copy today. Starting tomm!
Run N Shoot
AG
NomadicAggie said:

Has anyone experienced headaches while doing IMF? I've been careful to stay hydrated but have had a headache the last couple of days.
I am on an 18:6 schedule and wanted to try to take it to 20 hours starting this past weekend. The first day I did get a headache but I wondering if that was just me not drinking enough water? Today I am attempting my first 24 hour fast and at 21.5 hrs in no headaches or significant hunger, which surprises me.
Tailgate88
AG
NomadicAggie said:

I get a headache if I don't stay hydrated, but I typically drink a gallon of water a day. It's usually on the weekends when I'm out and and about that I don't drink enough. I have my 32oz Kyle Field cup that I carry around at home so don't have a problem then but if I forget to take a to-go water when I head out on the weekends I sometimes get dehydrated. A slight headache is usually my first reminder, and I'll just pull over at a store and buy a big bottled water. ("Always remember your weekend water....")

The other thing that can cause headaches while fasting is low blood sugar - particularly if you normally eat a lot of sugar in your diet. I've heard that you should try to consume more calories from (healthy) fat on days while you are not restricting calories to help your body adapt to being less reliant on getting energy from sugar.
degreedy
AG
I got terrible headaches when I started cutting out fats/caffeine when I did my last intermittent fasting.

As what was said above, I attribute a large part of it to low blood sugar. Before the change, I was eating donuts & Dr. Pepper every morning on my way to work *Charles Barkley Turrible, Just Turrible*. When I decided to cut all that out, the headaches went on for about a week until my body adjusted to healthier eating habits.
91_Aggie
AG
I have jumped on this IMF bandwagon.

Last January I found my self at age 50 at 225 pounds (on 6'3 ectomorph frame).
I ate right and exercised like a madman and I got down to 189 around April.

then it started getting hot outside and running sucked... and I just wanted to be lazy... because Hey, I met my goal.

So this January, I weighed myself and was at 229 (highest number I've seen on the scale).
Didn't want to see 230 so, I got Tailgate's book in Kindle format and started reading through it.

I was skeptical last year when I was losing the weight "the right way"

But all the science appears sound and it's really easy to do IMF since it doesn't require making my family do anything differently.. I can skip breakfast and lunch and it doesn't impact them at all and I'll just eat whatever we cook for dinner but only 1 serving.

Started Yesterday... seeing if I can handle the OMAD (one meal a day version) of IMF. Yesterday was pretty easy. didn't eat anything until about 6:00pm.

So, 229 on Sunday, 223 this morning (but i know a lot of this is the de-carbing effect and water loss). But nice to see anyways.

Also running as well.

Run N Shoot
AG
Anyone here do a once per week 24 hr fast or longer fasts (48-72 hrs) on a monthly basis? I tried 24 hr Monday for the first time and felt great so now want to give it another go and hopefully try to hit 28 or longer. Just wanted to get any insights on how the longer ones were or how you are doing with a 24 hr once per week?

In some ways I think the natural high I got from the 24 hr fast is addicting.
degreedy
AG
Didn't know that natural high from doing that was a thing
Tailgate88
AG
Run N Shoot said:

Anyone here do a once per week 24 hr fast or longer fasts (48-72 hrs) on a monthly basis? I tried 24 hr Monday for the first time and felt great so now want to give it another go and hopefully try to hit 28 or longer. Just wanted to get any insights on how the longer ones were or how you are doing with a 24 hr once per week?

Once my body got used to the new schedule, it was pretty easy to decrease my eating window. I work from home and used to get up and go to the kitchen just because I was bored or needed a break from whatever task I was on, NOT because I was really hungry. Once your body adjusts to not getting food until mid-day, most people find it easy to push it back even farther into the afternoon.

But, every day is different. Some days I really am physically hungry by mid-afternoon, and I'll grab a small snack. It really doesn't take much food to get rid of physical hunger pangs. String cheese and a few berries or nuts are my go-to. At least a couple days a week I go right up until dinner time without even really thinking about food. And I do love the clear head feeling, which I assume is the same thing you are describing when you say natural high. Digestion uses up a ton of energy.
Premium
AG
Tailgate88 said:

Run N Shoot said:

Once my body got used to the new schedule, it was pretty easy to decrease my eating window. I work from home and used to get up and go to the kitchen just because I was bored or needed a break from whatever task I was on, NOT because I was really hungry. Once your body adjusts to not getting food until mid-day, most people find it easy to push it back even farther into the afternoon.

But, every day is different. Some days I really am physically hungry by mid-afternoon, and I'll grab a small snack. It really doesn't take much food to get rid of physical hunger pangs. String cheese and a few berries or nuts are my go-to. At least a couple days a week I go right up until dinner time without even really thinking about food. And I do love the clear head feeling, which I assume is the same thing you are describing when you say natural high. Digestion uses up a ton of energy.

Did you ever lose your last 20 lbs?
Tailgate88
AG
Some of them, then the holidays happened (which I always take off) so I gained some back. My wife and I started back on the program this week though and I'm down 3lbs since Monday. My goal is to get to my goal weight by Spring Break.
91_Aggie
AG
Since sunday i have lost 10 pounds doing One meal a day version. This is great. I understand that 5 of that is probably water weight. But still.
beanbean
I was doing excellent on IMF, weight lifting, and running up until about a week before Christmas. Then the sugary treats started rolling in everywhere I was at....work, home, family members houses. My eating went to crap. With the days off and traveling and getting sick in between, my exercise has been almost non existent for the last 3 weeks or so.

During all this I have still stuck to 16:8 eating schedule but I still gained 10 pounds due to all the sugar I was consuming. Started cleaning up my eating last week and ate really healthy this week and as of this morning the scale shows that those 10 pounds are back off. I am back down to where I was before the holidays.

That's what I love about IMF. If you get off track, you can get right back on track fairly quickly.

fido00
AG
Great work to take the weight off!
Tailgate88
AG
Howdy all - hope everyone is having a great and relaxing Sunday.

Just a quick note - the 30 day intro period on my book is almost up so you only have a couple days to grab it on Amazon for $.99. Remember for every book sold I am donating $1 to the Mercy Project on behalf of the Health & Fitness board! So far we are at 84 books sold - so looks like I'll be writing a check for at least $100, which I am thrilled to be able to do for such a worthy cause.

Also, if you have read the book and are so inclined, I'd really appreciate an honest review on Amazon.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B082Z8C91G/

Thanks!

Markus

P.S. Staff - This is the last time I'll mention the book, except I'll post proof that I made the donation to the Mercy Project.
backintexas2013
AG
Loved the book. Very good information
Quinn
AG
Tailgate88 said:

NomadicAggie said:

I get a headache if I don't stay hydrated, but I typically drink a gallon of water a day. It's usually on the weekends when I'm out and and about that I don't drink enough. I have my 32oz Kyle Field cup that I carry around at home so don't have a problem then but if I forget to take a to-go water when I head out on the weekends I sometimes get dehydrated. A slight headache is usually my first reminder, and I'll just pull over at a store and buy a big bottled water. ("Always remember your weekend water....")

The other thing that can cause headaches while fasting is low blood sugar - particularly if you normally eat a lot of sugar in your diet. I've heard that you should try to consume more calories from (healthy) fat on days while you are not restricting calories to help your body adapt to being less reliant on getting energy from sugar.
How much does the blood sugar level of a non-diabetic actually vary? People talk about this, but as a type 1 diabetic, I'm always curious, and frankly, a little skeptical that there is much movement at all. I can't find it right now, but I saw a test of a continual glucose monitor on a non-diabetic, and I think they were in range 99% of the time.
Oryx
Anyone have experience with the 5:2 IF plan? Just starting today and will do the fasting on Tuesday and Thursday, with weight training on Saturday, Monday, and Wednesday and running/HIIT on Tuesday/Thursday/Friday.

Edit: Settled on a 36Fast/12Feed/36Fast window during the week, let's see how it goes
Tailgate88
AG
backintexas2013 said:

Loved the book. Very good information
Thank you very much!
Tailgate88
AG
Quinn said:

Tailgate88 said:

NomadicAggie said:

How much does the blood sugar level of a non-diabetic actually vary? People talk about this, but as a type 1 diabetic, I'm always curious, and frankly, a little skeptical that there is much movement at all. I can't find it right now, but I saw a test of a continual glucose monitor on a non-diabetic, and I think they were in range 99% of the time.
I'm not sure, it's just something I've read in a few places. One always hears "I need to eat - blood sugar is low" but who knows if that is true or just a theory that has been propagated? If you find a link to that study please post it - always interested in learning!
Tailgate88
AG
Oryx said:

Anyone have experience with the 5:2 IF plan? Just starting today and will do the fasting on Tuesday and Thursday, with weight training on Saturday, Monday, and Wednesday and running/HIIT on Tuesday/Thursday/Friday.

Edit: Settled on a 36Fast/12Feed/36Fast window during the week, let's see how it goes
36/12/36 is definitely a lot more hardcore than what most of us do. The nightly dinner with the family ritual is important to me so I wouldn't want to skip it twice a week, but if it works for you, awesome. Please keep us informed on your progress, I'm betting you have good luck with it if you can stick to that routine.
Oryx
Tailgate88 said:

Oryx said:

36/12/36 is definitely a lot more hardcore than what most of us do. The nightly dinner with the family ritual is important to me so I wouldn't want to skip it twice a week, but if it works for you, awesome. Please keep us informed on your progress, I'm betting you have good luck with it if you can stick to that routine.
It definitely was a bit challenging the first day, but I can also say my "bloat" feeling went away almost completely by the end of the first fast period on top of having more energy for HIIT and kickboxing in the evening. Coffee machine at work and water is also a great help along with a tracker app.

I might switch to 16:8 in the future, but I like the idea of giving myself more leeway for the weekends and I've read some supposed benefits of longer fasts such as increased fat burning and cell recovery that I wanted to see if are legit since I only have to drop 15 lbs or so.
Oryx
Ok after starting the next fast cycle at 7PM and getting home from work at 9PM like I usually do, the motivation isnt there like it is steaming through a fast 12+ hours in, especially if you do high intensity exercise and need nutrition and food.

Therefore, I'm gonna shave off the first bit and go from a 36 fast to a 31/32 give or take fast. (1 or 2 hours before fast day +24 hrs + 6/7 hrs sleep on eat day = ~32)

It's way too easy to break a fast starting awake, and in my mind when you start it sleeping like normal, you already have 6-8 hours under your belt when you start moving and much easier to get the motivation to continue on with. That also means I can add a day too since I dont have to cut an eat day in half midday like one would do with a 36 hr fast, meaning my fast periods are (Saturday Sleep + Sunday Fast + Sunday Sleep), (Monday Sleep + Tuesday Fast +Tuesday Sleep), and (Wednesday Sleep + Thursday Fast + Thursday Sleep). So with taking out those trouble/vulnerable to reset periods, I can still have 3 good 32 hr fasts instead of two 36 fasts, with half of the stress.

I doubt those 4 or 5 extra fast hours are critical enough not to change it around scheduling.

The next question is whether or not the 32 hr fast beats the simple 16:8 with its benefits, but from what Ive read, the 32 hr fasts primarily benefit those with Type 2 and rebuilding cells, hopefully it can open up a bigger fat burn window with the exercise done during the fast and the fast ending after weight training with a protein shake.
maverick2076
I started this 2 weeks ago, planning to do 16/8. I quickly found that it is pretty easy for me to skip lunch as well as breakfast, have a snack when I get home, and then eat dinner an hour later when my wife gets home. No matter what, I close my eating window at 8. If I do want lunch, I eat lunch, as long as I've fasted at least 16 hours. I haven't stuck to it over the weekends, I've had dessert almost every night, and even eaten out a few times. I'm still down 8 pounds in 2 weeks.
91_Aggie
AG
Doing the OMAD method still.
Starting Date/Weight:
Jan 5th - 229 pounds
Feb 14th - 201 pounds

I did start 16/8 - 5/2, but after 5 days realized i could get through to dinner relatively easy without needing to eat.
Only thing I really miss is half/half in my coffee in the morning.

I do run through... but only about 3-5x a week... usually 5 miles
And that one meal is relatively small. Only 1 serving of whatever we cook.

cmow14
AG
Anybody do IF while training for an endurance race? I've done IF for about 2 years now and completed 2 ironmans while training with IF. I've historically had a cut off of anything greater than 2 hours to add in food (I train in the mornings fasted usually). Curious to see what others have done.
Tailgate88
AG
I meant to do this last week when sales hit 100 books but I got busy and there were eight more sales, so as promised, here is our $108 donation to the Mercy Project.

Thanks to everyone who bought the book - and keep up the good work!

Cheers,
Markus

buddybee
Just came across thread, tried Keto last year not for me. My wife and I are ready to get started, thanks for the info. we just ordered the book.
Vernada
AG
buddybee said:

Just came across thread, tried Keto last year not for me. My wife and I are ready to get started, thanks for the info. we just ordered the book.

So much easier than keto.
ZoneClubber
AG
Tailgate88 said:

Howdy all - hope everyone is having a great and relaxing Sunday.

Just a quick note - the 30 day intro period on my book is almost up so you only have a couple days to grab it on Amazon for $.99. Remember for every book sold I am donating $1 to the Mercy Project on behalf of the Health & Fitness board! So far we are at 84 books sold - so looks like I'll be writing a check for at least $100, which I am thrilled to be able to do for such a worthy cause.

Also, if you have read the book and are so inclined, I'd really appreciate an honest review on Amazon.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B082Z8C91G/

Thanks!

Markus

P.S. Staff - This is the last time I'll mention the book, except I'll post proof that I made the donation to the Mercy Project.
Anyone selling the used book? Amazon price is $15 now.

Thanks for this thread and your book
beanbean
91_Aggie said:

I have jumped on this IMF bandwagon.

Last January I found my self at age 50 at 225 pounds (on 6'3 ectomorph frame).
I ate right and exercised like a madman and I got down to 189 around April.

then it started getting hot outside and running sucked... and I just wanted to be lazy... because Hey, I met my goal.

So this January, I weighed myself and was at 229 (highest number I've seen on the scale).
Didn't want to see 230 so, I got Tailgate's book in Kindle format and started reading through it.

I was skeptical last year when I was losing the weight "the right way"

But all the science appears sound and it's really easy to do IMF since it doesn't require making my family do anything differently.. I can skip breakfast and lunch and it doesn't impact them at all and I'll just eat whatever we cook for dinner but only 1 serving.

Started Yesterday... seeing if I can handle the OMAD (one meal a day version) of IMF. Yesterday was pretty easy. didn't eat anything until about 6:00pm.

So, 229 on Sunday, 223 this morning (but i know a lot of this is the de-carbing effect and water loss). But nice to see anyways.

Also running as well.

I have had a similar story to this over the last 20 years. I would get chubby and then decide to do something about it. I'd exercise really hard and drop about 20 lbs. Then once I let up on the exercise, I'd gain it all back. Then a couple of years ago, I did whole 30 and dropped 20 lbs. Whole 30 turned out to be a major pain in the a** because of all the meal prep so I got burned out on that and gained all the weight back within a couple of months.

Then I stumbled across this thread 11 months ago. Started the first of April last year and dropped 35 lbs by about mid summer. Worked out a lot of that time, but stopped around the holidays. Here's the good part though, even though I stopped working out, the weight did not come back. I've actually even dropped some more lbs since Christmas and haven't worked out once. That's what I love about this. As long as I stick to my 16 hour fast everyday (which is very easy to do) I know that fat bomb isn't just waiting around the corner to come back. I will start working out soon though to tone up for the warm weather.
AgFB
AG
I've tried to be pretty focused the last couple of weeks - tracking all my calories in MFP, riding the Peloton every day and doing 16:8 pretty consistently but haven't seen the drop this week. Pretty frustrating to do everything and not see the drop for about four days in a row. I've never seen my weight show up the exact same - to the decimal point on three mornings in a row.
Tailgate88
AG
AgFB said:

I've tried to be pretty focused the last couple of weeks - tracking all my calories in MFP, riding the Peloton every day and doing 16:8 pretty consistently but haven't seen the drop this week. Pretty frustrating to do everything and not see the drop for about four days in a row. I've never seen my weight show up the exact same - to the decimal point on three mornings in a row.

It's frustrating, but plateaus happen.

Have you mixed in a 5/2 day or two? That might kick you out of the plateau. We usually say 600 calories for guys, 500 for the ladies but you don't have to necessarily obsess on that exact number. Baked or grilled chicken or white fish and lots of veggies will fill you up and keep the calories low.

If not already, watch the carbs. Zoodles instead of pasta, cauliflower rice instead of the real thing, avoid starchy vegetables.

Finally, even when the scale isn't moving, focus on the health benefits of intermittent fasting. We all like to see the weight drop too, and it usually does, but even when you don't drop any pounds that week, you can still feel good about the IMF lifestyle!

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.