Health & Fitness
Sponsored by

any backpackers/hikers in here?

14,981 Views | 177 Replies | Last: 6 yr ago by wangus12
bayouaggie
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
mtnrunner - awesome info, thanks for that. I'll check out the details on the RMNP site to at least have a few hikes to start off the week with. With the baby along for the trip, gonna have to go day-by-day and see how everyone is feeling.
The Lost
Hitting up grays and torreys as 14er season winds down here in CO!
gigemhilo
AG
Hiked up to Pawnee Pass last week (12,500). Steep vertical and was very windy. it was a good hike though.

Be aware - the Colorado Rockies are very smokey right now due to the wildfires in the NW.
Your Friend
The Lost said:

Nice. Colors should be spectacular. I'm gonna tackle Lindsay and maybe Blanca and ellingwood in late October
wangus12
AG
Your Friend said:

The Lost said:

Nice. Colors should be spectacular. I'm gonna tackle Lindsay and maybe Blanca and ellingwood in late October
Be ballsy and do Blanca in January. That was my first winter ascent. What a sweet climb.

Also if you have the time, you can cram Little Bear and do a three-fer with Blanca/Ellingwood

October is a gorgeous time to climb. Definitely watch the weather though.

Pics from Bierstadt earlier this year. GF's 1st 14er. She did really well on her 1st backpacking trip and climb

We got to the summit pretty early and I tried to convince her to let us go across the Sawtooth and hit Mt. Evans as well, but that was a no go

AggieOO
Nothing as crazy/exciting, but leaving for the Davis mountains this afternoon. Running a race tomorrow, then a little hiking sunday.
AggieOO
wangus12 said:

you were great in Game of Thrones!
Your Friend
Ha. I'm not ready for a winter ascent. Did little bear last October. The hourglass was wild
wangus12
AG
Yeah definitely one of the harder routes. We had these two chicks above us raining rocks because they weren't being careful. My buddy chewed wholesale ass when we caught up to them
AggieOO
Wife and I just got back from 3 days on the outer mountain loop. Will try to get some pictures posted later.

Two weeks ago, we hit mckittrick Canyon in Guadalupe for fall colors and tacked on Carlsbad caverns.

I'm headed back to big bend for a solo trip in 3 weeks.
Presley OBannons Sword
AggieOO said:

Wife and I just got back from 3 days on the outer mountain loop. Will try to get some pictures posted later.

Two weeks ago, we hit mckittrick Canyon in Guadalupe for fall colors and tacked on Carlsbad caverns.

post em!

I'm considering a solo trip to BB to use up some vacation before the end of the year as well.
AggieOO
Bumping so I remember to post pics
Presley OBannons Sword
How packed is big bend between Christmas and New Year's? I know it's pretty busy, but does that include backcountry sites?
AggieOO
Still owe pics. But to answer, one of the busiest times of the year. You won't have a problem getting a Backcountry site, but you'll want to have second and third options, bc you likely won't get what you want. The park is getting more popular every year. Things I didn't worry about a few years ago now require backup plans.

All that said, BBNP at it's busiest is empty compared to places like Yosemite.
Presley OBannons Sword
Thanks OO
Presley OBannons Sword
What areas are likely to be full
AggieOO
Chisos basin will def be full. RGV will likely be full or close to it, as well as cottonwood. As far as backcountry sites, anything up in the chisos/south rim are will likely be booked. There are a lot of "car camping" backcountry sites. Any that can be reached without high clearance vehicle will likely be booked. The good thing about the park is that almost everything outside of the chisos can be zone camping, so you can hike in, even off-trail, in most areas, and find a clear spot to camp.
Presley OBannons Sword
Any recommendations? I've really only hiked up in the chisos/rim area.
AggieOO
You have a high clearance vehicle?

How comfortable are you with route-finding in the desert on lightly used trails?

What length of hike?

It's a great time of year to explore the desert trails since it's cool enough to not die. Have some favorites depending on the answers to the above. Independent of those, Marufo Vega is great. Can be done in two days, or a long day hike. Chimneys is great of you want to see some pictoglyphs.

Answer the above and I can recommend other stuff.
Presley OBannons Sword
AggieOO said:

You have a high clearance vehicle?

How comfortable are you with route-finding in the desert on lightly used trails?

What length of hike?

It's a great time of year to explore the desert trails since it's cool enough to not die. Have some favorites depending on the answers to the above. Independent of those, Marufo Vega is great. Can be done in two days, or a long day hike. Chimneys is great of you want to see some pictoglyphs.

Answer the above and I can recommend other stuff.

Yes I have a high clearance vehicle

Very comfortable

I'm good with any realistic length per day. I'm in good shape with a pretty good amount of hiking experience.
Presley OBannons Sword
I'm probably looking at leaving Houston on Thursday early morning, hiking that afternoon, all of Friday and Saturday in the backcountry, then returning Sunday.
AggieOO
if you want to get away from people, I'd head down river road and check out Mariscal Rim, Mariscal Mine, Dominguez Spring, maybe elephant tusk. Almost all of those are only day hikes, though you could easily make any of them multi-day hikes by going off-trail if you care comfortable with that.

You could also leave from K-bar and hike out to Banta Shut-in. Its about 15 miles round trip, but its on of my favorite spots in the park. Its route-finding for the first bit and then following washes for miles, but it ultimately spits you out in Tornillo creek where the water is actually following through a narrow canyon. LOTS signs of wildlife in the area. I've only done it as a long day hike, but have wanted to hike down, set up camp, and then hike up tornillo and explore more. Then hike back on day 2.

Marufo Vega would still be on my list.

You can always go over to Lajitas and hike into the park via Mesa de Angila. There is plenty of backpacking on the mesa, and you likely wont' see anyone after you leave your car. I've done a bunch of research, but have not been up there yet. Its about the only part of the park I have hit, and its next on my list.
Presley OBannons Sword
thanks. someone on the outdoors board recommended the mesa de anguila as well.

how was the outer mountain loop? considering that as well.
AggieOO
Presley OBannons Sword said:

thanks. someone on the outdoors board recommended the mesa de anguila as well.

how was the outer mountain loop? considering that as well.
its great (and difficult), but includes portions of the chisos, so that's why I didn't include it.
Presley OBannons Sword
just wondering.

do you use GPS or straight map and compass
AggieOO
haven't had a need for either, as I haven't gone THAT far off trail. I know the park well enough to use landmarks to navigate for the most part. though I do have a Garmin InReach and almost always have maps with me just in case.

YellowPot (on the OB thread) is probably the only person I've run across on TA that knows the park better than I do. Not saying there isn't someone else out there, but haven't run across them. He knows that place inside an out.
Presley OBannons Sword
man i wish i could get out there that much. i like using map/compass and keeping my terrain associating abilities sharp. probably should get a GPS for safety, but a sick part of me enjoys knowing that I can only rely on my own skills to make it in and out of a really isolated place.
AggieOO
i'm getting excited. I leave fri morning from san antonio (have a work meeting thursday there, so just staying) for my 8th trip of the year out there.

Just doing some run training on well-worn trails and hanging out, but I love that park so much it doesn't matter what I do, its enjoyable.
Geriatric Punk
AG
wangus12 said:

Your Friend said:

The Lost said:

Be ballsy and do Blanca in January. That was my first winter ascent. What a sweet climb.

Also if you have the time, you can cram Little Bear and do a three-fer with Blanca/Ellingwood

October is a gorgeous time to climb. Definitely watch the weather though.

Pics from Bierstadt earlier this year. GF's 1st 14er. She did really well on her 1st backpacking trip and climb

We got to the summit pretty early and I tried to convince her to let us go across the Sawtooth and hit Mt. Evans as well, but that was a no go

Bierstadt was my first 14er. Lots of marmots at the top. Hope you had a beer at Tommyknocker (or WBD) on the way home.
Life's an endless party, not a pushcart.
Presley OBannons Sword
AggieOO said:

what area of the park are you going solo to?
AggieOO
Already went and came back. I spend a couple days trail running in the basin area trails, saw a buddy play a show up in Marathon at the Gage, and then went solo hiking off-trail to a badass overlook off the Marufo Vega trail.

I tried uploading pics from my OML trip, but the website crapped out. I need to try again, and add some pics from the more recent trip.
coop-aero-06
AG
This thread needs more pics. Here's a photo from the summit of Mount Rose in Nevada (elev 10,776'), looking south across Lake Tahoe.

AggieOO
Here's the overlook I hiked off-trail to this past weekend. The unofficial name of it is Randell's Overlook, and it might be my new favorite spot in the park. I'd had this on my list of places to find for several years, but finally made the trek out there.

AggieDarlin
AG
I figured I'd bump this thread if y'all don't mind. Though hiking/backpacking has always been an interest, I just got into it last year. So far, I've only hit: Guadalupe Mountains (Guadalupe Peak, Devil's Hall and McKittrick Canyon), Big Bend (Lost Mine and a few other small ones), Zion (Subway, Observation Point, and some of Angel's Landing - I chickened out, but could finish if I had someone with me), and a section of the JMT (Tuolumne Meadows to Red's).

I have tons more planned and I'm way too stoked about it. I don't have any friends or family who really share my excitement for this stuff, so I may ask for advice here and/or share some about my adventures.

This September, I went solo on my first backpacking trip through a section of the JMT. It was absolutely AMAZING and I cannot wait to get my permit app submitted for another section this year. Some pics are below...be forewarned that I'm no photographer (or so I've been told), so excuse my lack of skillz

Below, I included a shot of the lake from my campsite on the evening of my last night on the trail, and then again from the following morning. That night, heavy winds and rain battered my tent from 10pm until about 4am, when the snow started to fall. Aside from some snowfall I witnessed in New Mexico a few months prior, I had never actually been in snow before. So, despite the anxiety about the storm, I was thrilled to wake up (after one hour of sleep) to a winter wonderland. It's no biggie to most, but it was exciting for me. Can't wait to do it again!

Seven Costanza
AG
Nice composition on the photos

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.