Health & Fitness
Sponsored by

any backpackers/hikers in here?

15,001 Views | 177 Replies | Last: 6 yr ago by wangus12
tmtxco
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
AgEng06 said:

Look into the Garmin (formerly DeLorme) inReach. It's a sat/gps unit that allows text messaging. It also pairs with your phone and the Maps app. They have service plans where you only pay when you use it (in monthly blocks).

https://explore.garmin.com/en-US/inreach/

+1 on the inReach. I have the old Delorme model, too, and it has served me well.

It does a great job of giving peace of mind to spouses/friends/family when you are out all day. It sends tracking points every so often and anyone with the private link can follow along and see where your route.

Being able to send and receive text messages also helps with scheduling pickups or letting someone know you are running early/late.

I never used their mapping functionality in their app as I prefer the GaiaGPS app.

JPTC08
AG
If you're doing a bunch of solo treks, you might want to look into this emergency beacon: ACR. My personal opinion is that it's one of the best emergency beacons on the market. You can also sign up for an additional service that allows texts to be sent out with your GPS coordinates.

I've used a much older model on numerous excursions .
hurleyag
AG
Zion & Bryce Canyon hike

Just got this email. Very tempted to sign up if I can convince some buddies to go.

Has anyone done a REI hike before? Are they worth the price?
Your Friend
hurleyag said:

Zion & Bryce Canyon hike

Just got this email. Very tempted to sign up if I can convince some buddies to go.

Has anyone done a REI hike before? Are they worth the price?
It being REI, I'm sure everything is gangbusters but this event seems like more of a family fest. If you and your buddies have experience and the gear, with some research and planning yall could probably follow damn near the same itinerary without a guide. And I personally might consider going sometime other than summer due to crowds.
Goldie Wilson
What do yall recommend for a first-time trip to Big Bend? Planning on about 3-4 days there.
RedlineAg08
South Rim trail. It's about 15 miles. You can camp out on the south rim and watch the sunset and rise. It's quite an amazing view. You can add in Emory peak on the end if you go counter clockwise.

Edit: It sure about the crying face..
mpl35
AG
I moved to Colorado so I could hike more. In the summer and early fall I love getting out for about 10 mile morning hikes in N Colorado.
AggieOO
Dan 07 said:

What do yall recommend for a first-time trip to Big Bend? Planning on about 3-4 days there.
car camping or backpacking?

For a first trip, car camping might be a better option if you'd like to see more of the park. Its a BIG park. If you are fit, south rim can easily be done in a long day hike. If you go up boot canyon and skip the SE/NE Rim section, you can fit an Emory Peak summit.

anyway, answer the first question and then I can give you some ideas.
Goldie Wilson
Probably 1-2 nights of car camping, and 2-3 nights of backpacking. I figure at the very least I'll be car camping the first night I'm there, since I probably wouldn't arrive until mid afternoon or so. I do have backpacking gear and probably an intermediate experience level.
AggieOO
forgot to ask what time of year. That'll completely change my answer as to what you can do.
Goldie Wilson
Late spring / early summer
wangus12
AG
Got a chance to spend some time talking to Beck Weathers last night. He's on of the survivors from the 1996 Everest disaster. An incredibly humble guy and also very funny. He was giving a talk about the incident and I happened to catch him on the way out.
AggieOO
In that case, you'll pretty much be relegated to the high Chisos, unless you are out on the trail in the desert super early and done by 10a or so due to heat. That or you can just drive around and do super short stuff like Santa Elena, Boquillas Canyon, etc.

Sticking to the mountains, I'd suggest a night or two up on the south rim somewhere. You can easily fit Emory Peak into that as well. Since its an out-and-back, you can drop your packs at the bear box and go up to the peak without the load. Believe me, you'll be happy you did, especially on the last scramble section. Its about 1.5 miles from the bear box up to the peak.

Other day hikes you can do:

- Lost Mine. This trail is always super busy. Great views from there. Bear activity is high in this area, so spotting one isn't uncommon.
- Window Trail. If you head down, i'd suggest also hiking the .25 mile or so out to the lookout on Oak Spring (before the trail starts descending). The views from there are better than from the Window.

I'd also suggest taking in Terlingua one evening. Have a beer on the front porch, dinner at starlight, and some drinks at La Kiva.

If you want some car "touring" and short hike type stuff for the desert, I can list a few things too. What kind of vehicle would you be taking?
Goldie Wilson
Bump. I'm headed out to Big Bend today in an SUV. Weather conditions aren't ideal (i think alternating between sweltering heat and pouring rain), but it's my last chance to get out there for a long time so I couldn't pass it up.
AggieOO
Dan 07 said:

Bump. I'm headed out to Big Bend today in an SUV. Weather conditions aren't ideal (i think alternating between sweltering heat and pouring rain), but it's my last chance to get out there for a long time so I couldn't pass it up.
we just got back yesterday.

first two nights up in the basin were uncomfortably warm sleep, even with the rain fly off. There was no wind at all. third night was glorious. nice breeze and 60 degrees.

not sure what your trip plan is, but if you are backpacking, getting up to the rim would benefit you greatly.

during the day, it's going to be hot pretty much everywhere.

just a warning, the last 2 miles of Santa Elena Canyon Road was still closed as of Sunday. Its clear down to the boat ramp, but you can't get down to the canyon currently. Its also really hazy out there right now, so views can be limited if you are up high and trying to get those amazing south rim views.
Goldie Wilson
Don't really have a trip plan right now, I'm gonna get out there and see what the weather permits. I suspect it'll be mostly car camping and say hiking, but I'd like to get out for a night or 2 of backpacking if the forecast clears up. Santa Elena and South Rim are definitely on the to do list in some capacity.
AggieOO
Dan 07 said:

Don't really have a trip plan right now, I'm gonna get out there and see what the weather permits. I suspect it'll be mostly car camping and say hiking, but I'd like to get out for a night or 2 of backpacking if the forecast clears up. Santa Elena and South Rim are definitely on the to do list in some capacity.
have fun, even a warm night in big bend is better than a day at work!
Goldie Wilson
Thanks. Any recommendation on car campsites? Or is everything in the same general area of the park?
AggieOO
you'll need to stay up in the Chisos Basin. Too hot to camp anywhere else.

Memorial day weekend was the last weekend of peak season, you'll have no problem getting a walk-up campsite, and if you are there a couple days, you'll likely have the place to yourself after the last few memorial day weekend stragglers leave.
Presley OBannons Sword
I'm three weeks out from my Denali trip. Just wanted to update everyone so you can be jealous.
Presley OBannons Sword
Just returned from an awesome trip. Was not eaten by bears. Great success.
RedlineAg08
Picture when you have a chance please
Presley OBannons Sword
I'll get some up shortly.
RedlineAg08
Thank you Presley! Looking forward to them.

I'm 5 weeks out from my South Lake to Onion Valley hike in the Sierras. Bags have been packed, food repackaged in bear casister for a month. It's in the bedroom and I refuse to let my wife relocate it to the garage.
Presley OBannons Sword
RedlineAg08 said:

Thank you Presley! Looking forward to them.

I'm 5 weeks out from my South Lake to Onion Valley hike in the Sierras. Bags have been packed, food repackaged in bear casister for a month. It's in the bedroom and I refuse to let my wife relocate it to the garage.
yeah I packed, repacked, checked gear, and then did it all over again several times. wife wasn't that excited about it. what bear canister do you have? I'm thinking about buying one.
RedlineAg08
BV500
wangus12
AG
Thats what I carry. Will be using it next week. Week long in RMNP and some 14ers in the front range
Pendragon12
AG
AgEng06 said:

Look into the Garmin (formerly DeLorme) inReach. It's a sat/gps unit that allows text messaging. It also pairs with your phone and the Maps app. They have service plans where you only pay when you use it (in monthly blocks).

https://explore.garmin.com/en-US/inreach/

Thanks for this. I'm a solo hiker (no backpacking yet) and my family can get overly worried. Like OO, I didn't want to buy the Spot since it required such a heavy contract commitment.

Now I just need to plan another trip to use it on.
Your Friend
wangus12 said:

Thats what I carry. Will be using it next week. Week long in RMNP and some 14ers in the front range

You attempting Longs?
wangus12
AG
Not this time. I've climbed Longs 3x, once in winter and it is by far the hardest one I've ever done.

Gf is going with me and she's never done one so we'll be looking at Bierstadt and Grays/Torreys.

Told her once she climbs a mountain I'd consider proposing to her
Presley OBannons Sword
My dad is doing longs in August and I'm considering going up with him. Climbed it once before in 2006
tmtxco
AG
wangus12 said:

I'm out here in Estes Park for the summer. If you are wanting to meet up for a hike or just want some route suggestions in RMNP, feel free to PM me.

Quote:

My dad is doing longs in August and I'm considering going up with him. Climbed it once before in 2006
Be sure and start really early in the morning unless you are running it. The crowds continue to grow and it really shows in some of the single-file areas (ledges, narrows) as well as the trough where you have to dodge falling rocks from those above you.
agcivengineer
AG
I took my boy scouts to Rocky Mountain High Adventure Base camp last week near Salida , Co. We hiked Mt. Shavano at around 14,230 ft. That was an awesome hike, the straddle was crazy windy, atleast 50 mph, and some snow leftover for a snowball fight. The boys had a blast. We also did 2 days of whitewater rafting on the Arkansas River and did a half day of mountain biking. Tons of fun.
NoHo Hank
AG
wangus12 said:

Not this time. I've climbed Longs 3x, once in winter and it is by far the hardest one I've ever done.

Gf is going with me and she's never done one so we'll be looking at Bierstadt and Grays/Torreys.

Told her once she climbs a mountain I'd consider proposing to her
Gray and Torreys are a highway. Good introductory 14er. Also, that was the least prepared I've ever been for a climb. Had a decent amount of water, no food, and no inhaler. Went to bed at 2am and woke up at 5 to get out there, was hungover so I didn't eat breakfast. So depending on how your gf is doing, let her know that it could be worse.

Depending on how a few things work out, want to try to climb Long's over labor day or the week before. Never done that one before.
NoHo Hank
AG
Apologies for the gratuitous back patting, but here is one of my favorite pictures from Denali last year.

There's just no scope or scale to anything out there but the place is absolutely massive. We're at the 14k' camp right here and behind us is the West Buttress. If you zoom in, you can see a couple dots, that's climbers making their way up the ridge.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.