Health & Fitness
Sponsored by

any backpackers/hikers in here?

14,963 Views | 177 Replies | Last: 6 yr ago by wangus12
Goldie Wilson
How long do you want to ignore this user?
IS BBNP dog friendly?
whoop91
AG
Growing up a scout leader i did plenting of hiking/backbacking/back country stuff. Since leaving venture crew i havent been back out. Love to go back to big bend or hit the rockies again.

Last venture crew trip several years ago was to rocky mountain high adventure base.

Loved the place and the manager. Not sure if he is still there as he told us he was getting out.
AggieOO
Dan 07 said:

IS BBNP dog friendly?

Not really. Dogs are not allowed on trails. You can have them in campgrounds and such, but it SEVERELY limits what you can do.
bert harbinson
AG
Generally no on pets

Here's a link
AggieOO
not that I was worried about it, but just got my time off approval for early June to go do ERL.
bmc13
AG
nice
tmtxco
AG
Our family lives in Estes Park for the summer, so we put hundreds of miles a season hiking and running through Rocky Mountain National Park. Each year, we learn our way around a little more so that we can avoid the crowds (which also seem to increase each year).

I'm usually wearing my A&M hat and have met a few Ags on the trails over the years.
wangus12
AG
Gf and I will be in RMNP for the 2nd week in July.
Presley OBannons Sword
mtnrunner said:

Our family lives in Estes Park for the summer, so we put hundreds of miles a season hiking and running through Rocky Mountain National Park. Each year, we learn our way around a little more so that we can avoid the crowds (which also seem to increase each year).

I'm usually wearing my A&M hat and have met a few Ags on the trails over the years.

Love it up there. I did Longs a few years back
AggieOO
I just added the High Sierra Camps Loop in Yosemite to my list. I've been to Yosemite once, but it was a very quick trip. After looking through pictures of the high sierra loop, i HAVE to go.

Stupid work always getting in the way of fun stuff.
wangus12
AG
I've always wanted to do HSL, for no other reason than Vogelsang H.S.C. is my namesake as well as the peak its attached too which I need to climb
JPTC08
AG
I mostly do car camping now with the wife and kids ( 2 & 3 year olds). We go every month to a different state park. I'm excited for when they get older so we can do some backpacking trips.

I really miss backpacking. I did a lot in Scouts, and spent my summers in college at Philmont in New Mexico. I've backpacked in most of the NPs out west including Denali. Thru hikes of the AT and PCT.

I don't have premium, but just post here if anyone wants advice on backpacking/lightweight backpacking.
wangus12
AG
Nice, I spent 2 summers working at Philmont
JPTC08
AG
What years? I was a Ranger/RT out there 06-08.
coop-aero-06
AG
AggieOO said:

I just added the High Sierra Camps Loop in Yosemite to my list. I've been to Yosemite once, but it was a very quick trip. After looking through pictures of the high sierra loop, i HAVE to go.

I have a campsite reserved in Yosemite Valley in July. You've inspired me to run the High Sierra Camp Loop while I'm there.

Another route that's on my bucket list is the Sierra High Route. It's basically the John Muir Trail, except you stay up high and go peak to peak. The trail rarely goes below 10,000 feet.
wangus12
AG
'11-'12

Ranger/Medical Services Staff
AggieOO
coop-aero-06 said:

AggieOO said:

I have a campsite reserved in Yosemite Valley in July. You've inspired me to run the High Sierra Camp Loop while I'm there.

Another route that's on my bucket list is the Sierra High Route. It's basically the John Muir Trail, except you stay up high and go peak to peak. The trail rarely goes below 10,000 feet.
watched a documentary on the Sierra High Route. Its was year when there was a lot of snow. They had a hard time following the route.

I'd love to get back out to Yosemite. Hoping to do that on the back end of the trip when I get into Western States, though I probably wouldn't be able to do the hiking I'd want to do after that race.
tmtxco
AG
wangus12 said:

Gf and I will be in RMNP for the 2nd week in July.
If you want to catch up for a hike or run, just send me a PM and we can exchange contact info. Always enjoy meeting fellow Ags.
dave99ag
AG
My wife and I don't get to hike as much as we used to now with a little one around, but we're closing on a little bit of land south of Alpine this week. Wanted a place relatively close to town, but still a short distance to BIBE. Plenty of space to hike and find arrowheads. Love it out there and can't wait until our little one is able to go!

RedlineAg08
That last photo.. do you think that was an Indian bragging about the size of his dick? I know I'm immature, but dang it. I'm cracking up thinking about someone in a different time and culture sitting by a camp fire talking the same **** to his buddies as young guys talk now.
dave99ag
AggieOO
RedlineAg08 said:

That last photo.. do you think that was an Indian bragging about the size of his dick? I know I'm immature, but dang it. I'm cracking up thinking about someone in a different time and culture sitting by a camp fire talking the same **** to his buddies as young guys talk now.
POTD
RedlineAg08
Just got my permits for 3rd week of July hike of the continental divide loop in RMNP.
htxag09
AG
How did y'all get started in backpacking/hiking. I'm in Denver every other month or so and have done some really short easy "hikes" with the wife but really would love to get into backpacking. Been talking about taking a trip to big bend, will most likely be doing it next springish. I just feel like I'm way over my head...don't even know where to start.
Your Friend
htxag09 said:

How did y'all get started in backpacking/hiking. I'm in Denver every other month or so and have done some really short easy "hikes" with the wife but really would love to get into backpacking. Been talking about taking a trip to big bend, will most likely be doing it next springish. I just feel like I'm way over my head...don't even know where to start.

You and your wife could book your first backpacking trip with an outfitter like RMI or IMG. There you can learn the basics from a professional guide and rent your equipment. Then if you like it, invest in your own gear and go nuts. Otherwise, there's a ton of literature out there you can research. Find a one-nighter loop near Denver, learn everything you can about the trail (trip reports, maps, cell coverage, water availability, weather), and go for it. **FYI rule #1 in backpacking is telling someone when youre going, where youre going, and when you plan to return**

Big Bend is a backpacker's mecca but do your homework. It's desolate, hot, and you must carry A LOT of water.
AggieOO
Your Friend said:

Big Bend is a backpacker's mecca but do your homework. It's desolate, hot, and you must carry A LOT of water.
This.

Feel free to post here if you go. Also, check BigBendChat. its a wealth of knowledge, but like the park, traffic can be light during certain times of the year.
wangus12
AG
Neither RMI or IMG are backpacking guides. They are both high altitude climbing/mountaineering, not backpacking. Completely different deal. That said, if he is in Denver, there are more guides than you can shake a stick at.

Totally agree with what you said. Start with a 1 nighter (even an out and back) and build from there. Couple of overnight hike-in, camp, hike-out, then do a multi-day (2-3 nights in the backcountry)

AND PLEASE TELL SOMEONE WHERE YOU ARE GOING. When I worked SARs, this was the worst thing. If we don't know what are you are in, we can't find you if it comes to that. Period
AggieOO
wangus12 said:

AND PLEASE TELL SOMEONE WHERE YOU ARE GOING. When I worked SARs, this was the worst thing. If we don't know what are you are in, we can't find you if it comes to that. Period
I'm bad about this sometimes in Big Bend. Its not that I don't want to tell someone, but I dont' always know my itinerary before going. Then I get out there and there isn't cell service in much of the park. I've left a note with an itinerary on my windshield before, but if you get too close to mexico, you are basically just telling thieves how long they have to break into your car and steal your crap.

I've gotten better about it though, especially since the wife worries when I'm out solo.
Your Friend
wangus12 said:

Neither RMI or IMG are backpacking guides. They are both high altitude climbing/mountaineering, not backpacking. Completely different deal. That said, if he is in Denver, there are more guides than you can shake a stick at.

Totally agree with what you said. Start with a 1 nighter (even an out and back) and build from there. Couple of overnight hike-in, camp, hike-out, then do a multi-day (2-3 nights in the backcountry)

Yeah not sure why I thought they offered backpacking trips. Wouldn't want you to get roped into a Denali summit.
wangus12
AG
Go big or go home
dave99ag
AG
OO, have you thought about one of those Spot GPS responders for when you go solo? Might be good for down there so your wife knows you're good.
AggieOO
i have, but don't have one.

i hate that you cant' just pay for the service while you are using it. Have to pay $200/yr or $20/mo for 12 months.

Wish I could call them and say, "hey i'll be out from this date to this date, can you activate my device?" and then just pay a fee for that.
AgEng06
AG
Look into the Garmin (formerly DeLorme) inReach. It's a sat/gps unit that allows text messaging. It also pairs with your phone and the Maps app. They have service plans where you only pay when you use it (in monthly blocks).

https://explore.garmin.com/en-US/inreach/
AggieOO
AgEng06 said:

Look into the Garmin (formerly DeLorme) inReach. It's a sat/gps unit that allows text messaging. It also pairs with your phone and the Maps app. They have service plans where you only pay when you use it (in monthly blocks).

https://explore.garmin.com/en-US/inreach/

interesting. its a little more expensive up front, but might come out cheaper in the long run.

plus, WAY more features and its an actual GPS unit, not just a tracker.
AgEng06
AG
Yeah, I have the version right before Garmin bought DeLorme, and it worked great in AZ hunting earlier this year (and my wife appreciates the ability to text her). I got mine used for $250, so look around and you can probably find a decent deal.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.