Health & Fitness
Sponsored by

Just got a Peloton bike

463,576 Views | 4208 Replies | Last: 2 mo ago by txags92
jamotoe1
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Ugh, now I really, really want the Peloton Tread. I've never been that into spin and will just do it once or twice a month on class pass so the bike was a nonstarter, but I'm loving this. I really enjoy the Orange Theorish style classes, but I'd hate to order something that pricey before there are any reviews out. Plus I'd have to figure out somewhere to put it. Anyone preorder yet? Decisions, decisions....
runontexas
AG
Yeah worked just fine thanks.

Anyone else have issues with it shaking a bit when getting off the seat? Guess I need some plywood to put underneath
law80
AG
When they put ours together they suggested 3/4 inch ply wood that is 38x73.
tmas
AG
Looks like they have come out with an app...is this a cheaper way to peloton?

https://www.onepeloton.com/ios
wreckt01
Yes and no. It's cheaper but you still have to buy a bike, and you won't get live classes or any of the metrics. I use the metrics to see performance based progress and push myself so it would be pointless without these features for me.
That said if you don't care about the metrics it's a solid way to peloton for half the price...
jh0400
AG
I've been looking at these since I broke my leg in December. I was a six day a week runner before suffering a tibial plateau fracture, and I'm afraid it will be several more months before I'm able to run again. I have been struggling with the price and am torn between biting the bullet on a Peloton or buying a cheaper bike, an iPad mount, and paying $13 per month for the recorded classes.
thirty-two
AG
It's a steep price tag, but worth the investment. This is a very high quality bike. Super smooth pedaling and resistance, and great technology and stats. I love being able to review the charts after a ride. I've done 180 rides over the last year since purchase, and have done zero maintenance on the bike.
BlitzBrother
BlitzBrother
Mine coming Friday !
Scriffer
AG
Can you use your own peripherals? Pedals, hrm, headphones, etc?

With a new kid, workout time is at a premium, and this seems like an answer. Just looking for the hidden costs.

What about delivery fees and setup? There's a store near my house, and I don't think it's rocket science to assemble.
DeLaHonta
AG
Yes to all three. The pedals are just standard Look pedals attached the same way as they would be on a road bike. It can connect to both Bluetooth and ANT+ heart rate monitors, and the same HRM strap can connect to both the bike and a Garmin at the same time. Headphones can be connected by either Bluetooth or via the 3.5mm headphone jack.

I don't think buying it in the store and setting it up yourself is even an option. I'm pretty sure the only option is to get it delivered and installed. I bought mine used on Craigslist, so I don't really know all the details of the setup.

One of the minor annoyances is that the Peloton will automatically post your activity to Fitbit and/or Strava, but mot Garmin. I like to have all my stats in GarminConnect, so I have to manually enter them.
easttexasaggie04
AG
Yea there's really no assembly besides mounting the screen and plugging it in. Took the delivery guy 5 minutes. It's super simple. I've had mine over a year with zero complaints. I'm in the same boat as y'all... young kids at home, zero time to train these days.
Scriffer
AG
Thanks. Gonna watch Craigslist and Facebook groups for awhile to see if I can score a deal.
easttexasaggie04
AG
You'll find a used one. There's for sure folks selling on FB and other places.
DeLaHonta
AG
Do note that there are two generations of the Peloton bike. The way to tell which one it is is based on the location of the power button: if it's on the top of the tablet, it's generation 1; if it's on the back of the tablet, it's generation 2. Both generations can do the same stuff (other than only the 2nd gen can cast to an external screen), but the 2nd gen has faster internals. I have gen 1, and my brother in law has gen 2, and gen 1 is noticeably laggier when navigating around.

Also, definitely buy a fan and a mat to put underneath the bike. I pour sweat on this thing like I would never have expected to where there is a giant puddle underneath the bike by the end. The fan will help evaporate sweat off of you, and the mat will save your floors.

I put a Craigslist and 5miles email search alert out when I bought mine, but ultimately bought off Craigslist. Assuming they are priced well, the bikes sell near instantly, so you have to move fast. As a reference point, most that I've seen are listed around $1,600-1,700 and are gone in a day. I bought mine for $1,000, including the mat, two pairs of shoes, headphones, and weights. The couple I bought it from said they figured they priced it too low when numerous people called them and tried to outbid what they agreed to with me, but fortunately, they said they committed to $1,000 with me and honored it.
easttexasaggie04
AG
What's your name on there? Add me... DOUGinTEXAS
DeLaHonta
AG
I very recently changed my username, as my old one contained my real last name in it, and I didn't want to dox myself. My new one is: tape251

I added you as a friend under my old username a few weeks ago (and didn't mention it on here, earning my true creeper credentials), and you friended me back, so assuming it maintains that through a username change, we should already both be following each other.
easttexasaggie04
AG
Good deal I usually ride at 6:00am or random times at night.
dave99ag
AG
Scriffer said:

With a new kid, workout time is at a premium, and this seems like an answer. Just looking for the hidden costs.
Same boat here and now with two under 2. I've considered a Peloton, but not sure how much I'll like the spin-class like of the workouts. I really want metrics on my TV via Apple TV. Zwift now has a Apple TV app, so I may look into that as well. I already have the bike, trainer and older power meter. Just need to get off my ass.
whitespikes06
AG
Wife and I have had ours for about three weeks now. I was hesitant at first because of the subscription but this thing is great. Definitely a way to challenge ourself and maintain fitness with a young child. We like the fact that you can take live rides or search from the archived rides. Keeps things interesting amd the workout can be intense. We love it.
easttexasaggie04
AG
Anybody else ride the 5:00am live ride from Pyeongchang this morning? There are three more over the next three days. This morning about 4,500 folks were riding.
whitespikes06
AG
Missed it this morning but did Jennifer Jacobs 80s ride this morning. Wife is joining the ride tomorrow morning, me Sunday.
wreckt01
Sciatica has sidelined me for a couple weeks but looking forward to a return.
Wreckt
DeLaHonta
AG
I couldn't get up at 5 AM, but I did it on demand this afternoon. This was my first ride with Robin as instructor, and she wasn't my favorite, but I'm a big fan of Natalie Morales joining the stage.
runontexas
AG
Dylan Dreyer couldn't hang with Natalie. She looked pretty pooped.
runontexas
AG
Guess she had an excuse

https://instagr.am/p/BfRxUp5H3Tl
BlitzBrother
Delivered yesterday - Did all adjustments today and then short scenic ride - Can tell I am going to dig !
BlitzBrother
Trying to keep excercise room simple - In addition to bike , thinking about adding dumb bells and bench - Any thoughts or recommendations ?
herb11
AG
Ours arrived yesterday as well. I did a 20 minute beginner ride and it kicked my tail, but I did enjoy it. I have loved spin since taking spin class at A&M, but like many others here, it's difficult to get to a class with two young little ones.
wreckt01
If anyone needs a morale booster, add me and you can enjoy kicking my butt on the rides...
Peloton handle: wreckt
Joan Wilder
AG
I love Robin, especially the live DJ classes with John Michael.
hbc07
AG
I've been watching craigslist to try and pick off a cheap one... and found one today listed for $2150. I guess that's cheaper than new + delivery, but really?
Joan Wilder
AG
That pyeongchang class with Natalie Morales was no joke.
athensag94
AG
I am buying one this week. It looks like a referral can give both the referrer and referee a $100 credit on accessories/boutique. The referral requires a code. See below from their website:

Eligible Peloton account holders can view their unique referral code on the referral tab of the Settings page under their Account on our website.

If you provide your code, I will use it and we both save $100. Let me know. Thanks
easttexasaggie04
AG
Feel free to use mine. My name is DOUGinTEXAS or email is dlewis@lewisengineeringco.com
First Page Last Page
Page 5 of 121

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.