Health & Fitness
Sponsored by

Just got a Peloton bike

463,621 Views | 4208 Replies | Last: 2 mo ago by txags92
athensag94
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Some one pm me with their 6 digit code before you..
Sorry
Shawdaddy
AG
Mine is showing up this Saturday! Two kids (1&3) so looking forward to squeezing in some workouts. Need to get back in shape!

RAT90
AG
We have had ours almost two months and we are now starting to fight over who gets to ride. However, I am the morning person and usually win the early morning time. Sometimes during the day, the wife will appear in her gear ready to go and swipe a ride.

#DrRAT90
runontexas
AG
U do the one with Willie Geist, funny dude.
BlitzBrother
Climbing the curve , from a 10 minute scenic ride to now 30 minutes with a couple " hits " at the end - Have added a couple 25 pound dumbells to start before getting on bike - Close to joining first class , before going live - Age 62 here , but athletic looking to get better shape - Love the bike and more than anything , the connivence !
tmas
AG
Looking to buy shortly. What are the reviews on the accessories?

Shoes? Should I buy theirs or get my own with LOOK clips
Heart Rate Monitor?
Headphones? Seems like I can use my own but they are bundled into the packs

Here are the prices the salesperson gave me:

Accessory Bundles:
$399 - Family Pack
2 pairs of Peloton shoes
2 heart rate monitors
2 water bottles
2 pairs of headphones
1 set of weights
1 bike mat

$229 - Works Bundle
1 pair of Peloton shoes
1 heart rate monitor
1 pair of headphones
1 set of weights
1 bike mat

Accessories a la carte:
$125 - Peloton shoes
$59 - bike mat
$49 - heart rate monitor
$29 - wired headphones
$25 - weights
$119 - bluetooth headphones
DeLaHonta
AG
I'm going to plug my referral code to you, since nobody else has, which will get you $100 off accessories purchased with the bike and me $100 credit at the Boutique store.

Referral code: 35MUZJ

Shoes
The bike uses LOOK pedals, which I also have on my road bike, any my road bike shoes fit into these. That said, my wife has the Peloton shoes, and hers fit more snugly into the Peloton pedals than my Shimano shoes/cleats, even when I adjust. Nothing major, mine just have a little more movement in them than hers. The Peloton shoes seem decently well made, but I wouldn't expect them to last as long if they were used outdoors.

Heart Rate Monitor
You can use ANT+ or Bluetooth monitors. I use the one that came with my Garmin watch, and it syncs with both the bike and my Garmin watch simultaneously. Not worth buying a new one if you already have one.

Water Bottles
I mean, they're water bottles. Go get some $7 ones at a sporting goods store. You're riding indoors on a stationary bike. You don't need anything fancy.

Headphones
The only nice thing about the Peloton in-ear wired headphones is that the cord is long, which is nice when you're bobbing up and down and whatnot. The audio quality sucks, but it's not like you're listening to the symphony on them. I've never used the wireless ones. 95% of the time, I don't use headphones, just the speakers on the bike, which also is mediocre (and it faces backwards). The bike has both Bluetooth and a 3.5mm jack.

Weights
They are tiny (2-3 lb) rubberized dumbbells, exactly like you could buy from any sporting goods store. Personally, I usually don't do the arm stuff portions of any rides that have them, because I think it's a better workout to spin only on the spin bike and do separate arm workouts, but my wife likes doing the arm workouts. $25 from Peloton is more than you'd pay at any sporting goods store.

Bike Mat
This is a must. I POUR sweat when on this thing, and there is a huge puddle underneath the bike when I'm done. You will ruin your floors without a mat. Definitely worth buying this.

I'd also recommend getting a box fan or something to increase airflow when you're on it. Helps keep the sweat from just streaming down your face/arms and onto the floor.

My username is: tape251. Add me if you want once you get it set up.
tmas
AG
Thanks for the info, I will definitely use the code when ordering.

Thoughts on the extended warranty? I'm using not one to get the warranty, but this is a big investment.
DeLaHonta
AG
I bought mine used, so the warranty wasn't an option for me. My bike has held up well in the just over a year that I've owned it, and I haven't noticed any signs of wear and tear that I'm concerned about. It gets ridden by either myself or my wife about every other day, so it's not like it's been lightly used in that time. I have no idea how much the prior owners used it, but mine is a first generation bike (I think they released the second generation sometime in 2016), so it's held up since at least then.

That said, warranties are kind of a personal choice. I'm personally not a big believer in them, but to each their own. Pretty much anything on the bike, other than the tablet, could be repaired if it breaks and you are handy.
wreckt01
Sciatica is finally clearing up, what an absolute beating. Hope to get back on the bike next week.

On the positive: I have learned an awful lot about stretching and core stabilization.
tmas
AG
I ordered my bike, it will be here Saturday!
tmas
AG
Thanks everyone! Scenic ride done today. First class tomorrow.

Username: TommieD
wreckt01
nice
dlr1195
First off I would like to thank everybody for their honest opinion on the bike. It was a big decision and I read a lot of reviews but I did not trust them like I do the **** boards. We got our bike last month. It is great to roll out of bed and ride for 30 minutes take a shower and still have time for a cup of coffee before leaving for work.
My only problem is that my quadriceps burn the whole time I am riding. Is this normal and how long will it go on.
I am a 58-year-old man trying to get back in decent shape. I am down 30 pounds since January and want to lose 15 more.
Thanks.
DeLaHonta
AG
It could be just your quads still building muscle (you are always building it, but I mean if you start from no biking, there is a lot to build), or it could be the fitting of the bike. Something as minor as a seat being too far forward can use more quads than hamstring.

Since you've only had it for a month, depending on how often you ride, it's likely just building muscle. You might want to look into the fitting, just in case, but that's not really something any of us can do for you over the Internet.
wreckt01
Had a similar quad issue on my first ride. I had some knee discomfort as well so I moved the seat back about 1.5" half way through and noticed a huge improvement.

I just kept tweaking the set up until I had it just right for me.
thirty-two
AG
Bump.

Who here is still riding? I am at 211 rides completed since Feb of '17. Still loving it.

I've recently started working in more 30 minute rides vs. 45 min, and using the extra 15 minutes to do some dumbbell activity on my own, as well as some "beyond the ride" weight activity. Overall, I felt that I needed more upper body strength and toning.
easttexasaggie04
AG
I'm still riding. Did you change your name on there?
tmas
AG
Are Encore scheduled rides any different than Ondemand?
DeLaHonta
AG
tmas said:

Are Encore scheduled rides any different than Ondemand?
Encore rides are replays of previous live sessions, but have a live leaderboard.

On demand rides are replays of previous live sessions, but have a leaderboard of everyone who has taken that class since it first aired.

The only difference between the two is that one has a live leaderboard and the other doesn't. Some people like competing only against others taking the class at the same time for the "live" feel. They were mostly added so that west-coast people had more quasi-live sessions to join, since the Peloton filming studio is in NY and stops airing live classes earlier than alot of west-coast people get off work.
thirty-two
AG
easttexasaggie04 said:

I'm still riding. Did you change your name on there?
Nope, same name. thirty_two
Brenner
AG
Wife and I are 2 weeks in with this thing, and it's pretty awesome. This pretty much eliminates any excuse to sit on my butt and not do anything.

First few classes my output skyrocketed, but I think I found my groove now. Butt is starting to not be sore. Favorite classes have been #sweatsteady with Jess and I really like Alex Toussaint.
Shawdaddy
AG
We have had ours for a couple of month now, and are really enjoying it. This is definitely the most consistent exercise that my house has seen since the first kid was born. What has really turned up the intensity for us was challenging our neighbors (who also have a bike) to a month long bet (April) to see who could do the most rides as a couple. It has been fun - we're all always checking in on the app to see who has ridden. The prize is two bottles of wine to the winning couple. The leaderboard is great motivation during the ride, but this little bet has been great motivation to get on the bike!
thirty-two
AG
Shawdaddy said:

We have had ours for a couple of month now, and are really enjoying it. This is definitely the most consistent exercise that my house has seen since the first kid was born. What has really turned up the intensity for us was challenging our neighbors (who also have a bike) to a month long bet (April) to see who could do the most rides as a couple. It has been fun - we're all always checking in on the app to see who has ridden. The prize is two bottles of wine to the winning couple. The leaderboard is great motivation during the ride, but this little bet has been great motivation to get on the bike!
That's awesome!
Shawdaddy
AG
We finished our April challenge victorious! Came down to the last day (We actually ended it Saturday so we could get babysitters and go out and celebrate that night). We won by twenty minutes (total ride time over the month), but had to ride for 6 hours and 40 minutes on Saturday to beat them out. They were at their house riding all day too. Was a lot of fun, but am not doing it again any time soon!

All four of us rode much more often than we otherwise would have for the month. The extra motivation was nice. For now I think I am going back to 3 rides a week or so!
thirty-two
AG
We have any new TexAgs Peloton riders? FYI, I am liking the new Power Zone feature. I'm way more likely to take a class from Matt Wilpers now.

Anyone pull the trigger on a Peloton Tread?
mrsbeer05
AG
Husband got me a Peloton for getting my doctorate and it will be here June 20. Not sure what username will be yet.
thirty-two
AG
mrsbeer05 said:

Husband got me a Peloton for getting my doctorate and it will be here June 20. Not sure what username will be yet.
Congrats!
htxag09
AG
That's drbeer now...
FbgTxAg
AG
I know this is a Peloton group, but does anyone have any experience or feedback on Echelon Connect? Seems to be a lot more reasonable price-wise, as you use your own ipad instead of paying for a display.

Thanks in advance!
The greatest argument ever made against democracy is a 5 minute conversation with the average voter.
Phat32
AG
I don't have one, but my buddy's FTP has gone through the roof since owning his. Jelly.
mrsbeer05
AG
htxag09 said:

That's drbeer now...

Per your suggestion my peloton username is DrBeer
ftaggie09
AG
Looking at getting one my only concern is my internet sucks. Live where satellite internet is my only opinion. Can you download the in demand classes?
mrsbeer05
AG
Not that I know of
wreckt01
Ride #50 today. Still on track to hit 100 this year as planned. Been a rough few months with the wife getting pneumonia but hoping to stay on track.
First Page Last Page
Page 6 of 121

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.