Health & Fitness
Sponsored by

Just got a Peloton bike

466,192 Views | 4211 Replies | Last: 8 days ago by txags92
StringerBell
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Buy one if you want to

Don't buy one if you don't

No one here is going to convince you of anything
txags92
AG
It is really hard to put a value on the convenience of the peloton, and that is one of the most valuable parts about it for my wife and I. How much is not driving to the gym to get a workout worth? How much is being able to step off the bike and straight into your own shower at home worth? How much is having the ability to pick any kind of class you want to take (spinning, yoga, running, bootcamp, strength, stretching, etc.) at any time of the day or night and always from your favorite instructor worth? Work that out and you will know if it is worth it to you. For us, the answer is yes...the price is worth every penny.
JoeOlson
AG
100% this. As someone who normally works from home, the health benefits are absolutely massive. It completely cuts out my gym commute and it's a great supplement for when I want to ride outdoors - I'm getting faster, stronger and the workouts are absolutely addictive.

I am the type that enjoys group workouts (Camp Gladiator, CrossFit, OrangeTheory, etc). The leaderboard is a total game changer for me - I ride with a number of work colleagues and it's a great motivator to really take advantage of a 30/45 minute window. I'm doing a lot more Yoga, Stretching and Meditation as well (all things that are a lot more comfortable for me when I'm in my own home).

As I've told my friends/family who ask me. It's absolutely worth it if you have the disposable income - if not, the App is still a fairly solid tool to get a nice range of workouts. We've heard great things about the Tread as well, but we already have another treadmill in the garage so I'm less motivated to get a new one.

For more experienced riders:
- Do you recommend going in and going the Power Zone or Tabata programs? I just started taking classes and I'm continuing to beat PRs, but I'm thinking it might be a good idea to go back to the basics and try to push a heavy improvement. Right now, I'm just trying to keep my Avg Watts >200 in every ride (I ride a decent amount so it's not a standing start), but I would enjoy any specific training programs.
mrsbeer05
AG
PZ rides are my bread and butter. The workout never gets easy because you keep keep redoing your FTP test
singer10
AG
mrsbeer05 said:

PZ rides are my bread and butter. The workout never gets easy because you keep keep redoing your FTP test

This. Absolutely love PZ rides. I'm over 150 rides since I got my bike in mid January and 90% of them are PZ. Finishing the last week of the powerzone pack challenge and going to do some easier rides for the last two weeks of May before getting into the new challenge in June.
Nitro Power
AG
JoeOlson said:

100% this. As someone who normally works from home, the health benefits are absolutely massive. It completely cuts out my gym commute and it's a great supplement for when I want to ride outdoors - I'm getting faster, stronger and the workouts are absolutely addictive.

I am the type that enjoys group workouts (Camp Gladiator, CrossFit, OrangeTheory, etc). The leaderboard is a total game changer for me - I ride with a number of work colleagues and it's a great motivator to really take advantage of a 30/45 minute window. I'm doing a lot more Yoga, Stretching and Meditation as well (all things that are a lot more comfortable for me when I'm in my own home).

As I've told my friends/family who ask me. It's absolutely worth it if you have the disposable income - if not, the App is still a fairly solid tool to get a nice range of workouts. We've heard great things about the Tread as well, but we already have another treadmill in the garage so I'm less motivated to get a new one.

For more experienced riders:
- Do you recommend going in and going the Power Zone or Tabata programs? I just started taking classes and I'm continuing to beat PRs, but I'm thinking it might be a good idea to go back to the basics and try to push a heavy improvement. Right now, I'm just trying to keep my Avg Watts >200 in every ride (I ride a decent amount so it's not a standing start), but I would enjoy any specific training programs.

In my opinion you shouldn't try to push a heavy improvement. The more fit you get the hard it will be to see improvement, and that can frustrating or even demoralizing. With power zone training, you can see a performance increases no matter how minute. I'm no expert, but I can tell you what works for me.
When you fall to your knees and ask God for help, don’t forget to fall back on your knees and say ‘thank you’ when He answers.- Steve Torrence
Nitro Power
AG
I am really looking forward to the break. I am in the 4 ride challenge. When you do the 4 rides + accelerator ride + 3 extra credit rides, you can get burnout.
When you fall to your knees and ask God for help, don’t forget to fall back on your knees and say ‘thank you’ when He answers.- Steve Torrence
A New Hope
txags92 said:

It is really hard to put a value on the convenience of the peloton, and that is one of the most valuable parts about it for my wife and I. How much is not driving to the gym to get a workout worth? How much is being able to step off the bike and straight into your own shower at home worth? How much is having the ability to pick any kind of class you want to take (spinning, yoga, running, bootcamp, strength, stretching, etc.) at any time of the day or night and always from your favorite instructor worth? Work that out and you will know if it is worth it to you. For us, the answer is yes...the price is worth every penny.
Appreciate all the replies however hostile. Incredible that I got posts deleted for criticizing Peloton's value equation. I totally understand convenience. I've got a treadmill, elliptical, rower and weights along with yoga and Pilates equipment. Adding a stationery bike (peloton or otherwise) is what I'm considering. Imo, only piece of equipment I own that I've gotten my moneys worth out of is my treadmill. Wife and I used it daily while marathon training some years ago. I hate running now, can't swim, and despise rowing. Need to incorporate cardio somewhere and that's where my cycling fits in. Thanks for all the opinions and advice. Happy Mother's Day.
bthotugigem05
AG
Olivia tried to kill me today (her 5/7/20 ride) but I ended up setting a new PR by 30 points and broke 400 pelotons or whatever the units are called for the first time on a 30-minute ride!
RustyBoltz
AG
Fedup said:

txags92 said:

Appreciate all the replies however hostile. Incredible that I got posts deleted for criticizing Peloton's value equation. I totally understand convenience. I've got a treadmill, elliptical, rower and weights along with yoga and Pilates equipment. Adding a stationery bike (peloton or otherwise) is what I'm considering. Imo, only piece of equipment I own that I've gotten my moneys worth out of is my treadmill. Wife and I used it daily while marathon training some years ago. I hate running now, can't swim, and despise rowing. Need to incorporate cardio somewhere and that's where my cycling fits in. Thanks for all the opinions and advice. Happy Mother's Day.
You have treadmill and wonder if a Peloton is worth it? I have a road bike, a tri bike, a H2 turbotrainer and Zwift. Granted, the Peloton was purchased for the S/O but I do enjoy the music based HIIT classes as a quick alternative to cycling outdoors or getting on my trainer. If you just want to do a whole lot of Z2, fat burning riding, get a bike and ride outside - your all in cost will far exceed $2500. Cycling, for those that really enjoy it, is a hobby which returns happiness and overall better health - we often shy away from analyzing the cost of our hobbies.
For your situation, I think a Peloton bike and the subscription would bring a lot of value to your home gym as it will add variety and structure to other elements such as your strength training and yoga.
Aggie09Derek
AG
or will be a waste of 9-10k
The Milkman
AG
I'm so happy we got ours. We moved to DC in March and our building has 2 pelotons in the gym, but soon after I moved here we closed all our amenity spaces due to the virus. So we bought our own and it was delivered about a month ago. I can already tell how great of an investment this is going to be for us. Both my wife and I have been riding ~5 times per week. We are both out of shape and this is really getting us back in the right direction.

Feel free to add me! TXMilkman
JoeOlson
AG
Great feedback! I'm TheOlsonShow if anyone ever wants to ride. I'm really enjoying the Climb Series, but up for just about anything. It's always fun to have a few people in a class push you.
txags92
AG
bthotugigem05 said:

How about a group ride on the 12th of the month at 12:12pm?

So which one are we doing tomorrow?
mrsbeer05
AG
txags92 said:

bthotugigem05 said:

How about a group ride on the 12th of the month at 12:12pm?

So which one are we doing tomorrow?

I'm up for a PZ endurance ride
Nitro Power
AG
Wish I could make it, but at the same time, I am happy to be at work
bthotugigem05
AG
I could do a 60-minute PZE ride but if not everyone is into power zone we could do the 60-minute yacht rock ride from 7/21/19.
tbirdspur2010
AG
bthotugigem05 said:

I could do a 60-minute PZE ride but if not everyone is into power zone we could do the 60-minute yacht rock ride from 7/21/19.

I vote for a PZE. Regret that I went harder than necessary tonight (505 kjs in Alex Toussaint's 30 min Low Impact Ride from 2/13/20), but, hey, count it all joy! Will check back tomorrow morning to see what the ride consensus is. Never done one with others online simultaneously before.
AgFB
AG
Good lord! 500 on a 30 min low impact?
AgFB
AG
I procrastinated and finished week 7 with my 90 minute PZE today. That was a killer week. Ready for FTP week.
mrsbeer05
AG
I propose 45 min PZ ride with Denis Morton from 3/26/20
XpressAg09
AG
AgFB said:

No joke. I'm afraid to find out his regular outputs if that's a "low impact" effort.
XpressAg09
AG
Where do you find a 7 week PZ collection? Is it in the app, or are you following something offline?
StringerBell
AG
THANKS FOR MAKING ME FEEL BAD ABOUT MY CURRENT LEVEL OF FITNESS A HOLE
tbirdspur2010
AG
XpressAg09 said:

AgFB said:

No joke. I'm afraid to find out his regular outputs if that's a "low impact" effort.

Haha no that's definitely the higher end (I think my PR for 30 mins is like 515 kjs or something), hence my saying I went a little too hard. Music was good and I got carried away. Still working on controlling my outputs tbh.
XpressAg09
AG
My PR for 30 minutes is 375 kj...and I was pretty happy with that, until just now.
tbirdspur2010
AG
Shoot, my fitness level is nowhere near where I want it to be. I'm just kinda strong so I can push a little weight, but aerobically I have a ton of work to do. And my wife is 8 months pregnant and still hits the Peloton 3-4 times a week, so I can't slack off with her beasting it every other day lol. Her idea to get this bike in the first place. Glad I listened to her!
Spinnaker96
AG
I am pretty certain that calibration is different between Peloton bikes, so comparing output can be disheartening/deceiving. The good thing is that you're mostly competing against yourself.
tbirdspur2010
AG
mrsbeer05 said:

I propose 45 min PZ ride with Denis Morton from 3/26/20

I'm down for this.
tysker
AG
Elevated96 said:

I am pretty certain that calibration is different between Peloton bikes, so comparing output can be disheartening/deceiving. The good thing is that you're mostly competing against yourself.
The leaderboard is a blessing and a curse. Probably my favorite update was the ability to swipe it away during a ride.
dodger02
AG
Elevated96 said:

And some dude who's 6'2" 220# is probably going to push some heavy resistance and run the kJ up much higher than a guy who's 5'10" 170#. I've seen some of these former athletes push ridiculous numbers. It's not uncommon to see them pushing 80-100% average resistance for 30-45 min rides with outputs well above 1000 kJ.

High kJ doesn't equate to better fitness.
dsharp90
AG
I just did the Jenn Sherman 30 minute Classic Rock ride from Sunday with the tags filtered for the first time. I'm sufficiently disappointed in myself compared to most of y'all haha. My fat post knee surgery butt held on for all but the last climb
bthotugigem05
AG
Ok, the 45 minute PZ Denis Morton ride from 3/26/20 it is, since he lived in Texas somewhat recently. Hit start at 12:12pm and make sure you have your #TexasAggies tag so we can see each other!
Aggie09Derek
AG
I've been off the bike for the last 3 weeks after I jacked up my knee somehow on a walk....so much fail.

Hopefully back on it regularly soon. Need to shed some lb's and build my strength back up.
mrsbeer05
AG
dsharp90 said:

I just did the Jenn Sherman 30 minute Classic Rock ride from Sunday with the tags filtered for the first time. I'm sufficiently disappointed in myself compared to most of y'all haha. My fat post knee surgery butt held on for all but the last climb
I did that yesterday. I tried to kill the leader board then realized it wasn't my jam.
First Page Last Page
Page 32 of 121

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.