Landcruisers

522,765 Views | 3498 Replies | Last: 3 days ago by AgCMT
KY AG
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
With those headlights, the Iron Pig is the Nissan Juke of the 1960s.

They are slow, ugly, and were rusting before they even got off the lot. If I could've ranked it lower, I would have.
ILikeTacos
AG
KY AG said:

With those headlights, the Iron Pig is the Nissan Juke of the 1960s.

They are slow, ugly, and were rusting before they even got off the lot. If I could've ranked it lower, I would have.

Thus the name IRON PIG.

They are like bulldogs, so ugly they are cute.
Centerpole90
AG
https://www.ebay.com/itm/1972-Toyota-Land-Cruiser/323035000002?hash=item4b3662ecc2:g:WmoAAOSwbP1aa563&vxp=mtr

Let's see where this goes; from my previous post.... and it looks like the front half goes with it.

reddog90
AG
So you 40 guys tell me what's wrong with that truck.
Complete Idiot
Sold my 80 yesterday, off to it's new home in Colorado. I carefully chose the owner and location I sold to, because I'm weird.
Streetfighter 02
AG
The bezel is upside down. The wheels are not stock. The paint job was done so quickly they didn't even remove the gas cap.
reddog90
AG
So if I were looking for a rough but sound 40 to work on, drive on the weekends, gradually restore over time etc. those don't seem like major setbacks.
Streetfighter 02
AG
From the pics the body looks to be in good shape. The older ones are thicker metal with less impurities and tend to rust far less. The air intake and possibly the carb are aftermarket. It probably runs fine but it's hard to say. I think '72 is drum brakes all around but you'll have to verify. It doesn't have a roll bar which from the factory is more cosmetic than anything.
Centerpole90
AG
The carb has been changed. I have a close up of it - it's a 2bbl MotorCraft carb. The heater core has also been bypassed; I don't know if it was because the core was bad or the hoses got rotten somewhere along the way, but it was bypassed and the hot water valve that controls flow to the heater is gone.
Streetfighter 02
AG
My horn wasn't working this morning. I really wanted to let someone know about their bad driving (turning left from center lane). Guess I'll be searching for a fuse or something that needs repair.
aTm2004
AG
Streetfighter 02 said:

My horn wasn't working this morning. I really wanted to let someone know about their bad driving (turning left from center lane). Guess I'll be searching for a fuse or something that needs repair.
Was your middle finger broke?

Streetfighter 02
AG
This was not the type of person that uses their rear view mirror.
ILikeTacos
AG
aTm2004 said:

Streetfighter 02 said:

Was your middle finger broke?

He was inverted.
aTm2004
AG
Streetfighter 02 said:

This was not the type of person that uses their rear view mirror.

But it'll make you feel better.
HBCanine08
AG
aggieforester05
AG
I've never seen that, but I want one!
Streetfighter 02
AG
Anyone got a hookup on Toyota parts? I need wheel cylinder assemblies for the rear brakes.

Part #s:

47570-69065
47580-69055
47550-69075
47560-69055

Right now I'm looking to buy at www.toyotapartsdeal.com and the total with shipping is working out to $313.47.
RVAg02
AG
So far, I've bought everything for my 100 and 200 from toyotapartsdeal and can't recommend enough. Good communication and fast turnaround.

May be different for an older model like yours though.
Streetfighter 02
AG
Ive bought quite a few things from them already. I did the rear tail lights recently with OEM parts. I'm wondering if I can't get something from cool cruisers or SOR that is just as good for half the price. SOR is supposed to have specific parts for FJ43 series trucks. The part numbers are enigmatic. I'm pretty sure the numbers I posted above are good because I pulled them from http://www.japan-parts.eu/ which allows you to select very detailed trim levels for your truck aka FJ43 from a general market.
Streetfighter 02
AG
Update: I got Cool Cruisers to cross reference the part numbers for me and their kit for all four rear wheel cylinders matches. It's $144.72 for everything and they were able to confirm other people with general market trucks had success with their kit.
RVAg02
AG
Excellent
reddog90
AG
Centerpole90 said:

https://www.ebay.com/itm/1972-Toyota-Land-Cruiser/323035000002?hash=item4b3662ecc2:g:WmoAAOSwbP1aa563&vxp=mtr

Let's see where this goes; from my previous post.... and it looks like the front half goes with it.

Back on ebay for $3k more than the winning bid last time??

https://www.ebay.com/itm/1972-Toyota-Land-Cruiser/323054040266?hash=item4b378574ca:g:WmoAAOSwbP1aa563&vxp=mtr
Centerpole90
AG
That's his asking. I was going to tag you in his IG post but didn't want Mrs reddog to hit me over the head with a rolled up set of house plans.

I think he's trying to make $5k +/- on it. His IG handle is @barn_find_rusty_gold he's always got some cool stuff happening, and his own stuff is off the charts: duramax swapped 68 suburban, LS swapped, procharged 68 C10 w/ air conditioning, LS swapped 2wd 72 Blazer... and that's just his personal 67-72 stuff - look at that 57 Chevy Cameo truck he found in a barn that had $500 worth of 68 chevy hubcaps on it! He's playing with some serious cash.

https://instagr.am/p/BewUPIhFHoG

Turn up the speakers...

https://instagr.am/p/BQEBSWkA7A3
KY AG
AG
How is that possible? The reserve was met. Did this guy just flake out of the deal?
1agswitchin4lanes
AG
KY AG said:

How is that possible? The reserve was met. Did this guy just flake out of the deal?
Welcome to the world of shady ebay shill bidding....
Centerpole90
AG
Had same bidders on that AND the LS Blazer he was offering... like 1 Ags said - I'm convinced that was him bidding.
reddog90
AG
Let me get this straight. The barn_find_rusty_gold guy finds the FJ40 and buys it. Then he lists it on ebay through your original link. Reserve bid was met, but probably by a fake account set up by himself. So now he lists it again on ebay for an additional $3k?
Centerpole90
AG
Well, I wonder if he ended the original auction early or something similar - because the original auction has a "Buyer has relisted this item" banner WITH a link to the new acution. IF it were bought under a separate account the first time I don't know if that banner would be there - but I'm not that savvy on ebay from the selling standpoint... so don't take my word for it.

The first auction had no 'buy it now' , this auction is more of an offering than an absolute auction so maybe he changed strategy because it's obvious that for now his asking price is $17k, not the $12-14 where it flattened out before. He did have same bidder on multiple items, but maybe that was just bargain seekers, I have no way to know.
KY AG
AG
The original went to close. I watched it like a hawk because I was genuinely curious how it would play out. I was honestly thinking about bidding, but glad now that I did not. With centerpole's backing, I thought there was some veracity to the seller but now there's no way I'd buy from this dude.
Centerpole90
AG
KYAG, keep in mind please, because now I feel like I'm getting hitched to the ebay auctions. I don't know the seller except through his online perona. Like I said in my earlier posts, I do know the fellow who was local to the truck, who pointed him to the truck, who retrieved the truck. Later it was handed it off to the guy who actually bought it and took it to Iowa (and then later offered it on ebay and IG).

The day the FJ came out from under that lean-to I had multiple pictures of it and helped talk my friend through the routing of the heater hoses when one came loose. That's the day I posted the original sales receipt. I think the truck is pretty solid actually, ebay theatrics notwithstanding, and if you want to talk to someone who drove it but has zero stake in it's disposition - PM me and I can make that happen; but that's as close I am to this. BFRG could be great guy or a crook, I have no way to know because I've neither spoken to him or traded with him. I just follow him on IG and we have common friends.
KY AG
AG
Completely understand, thanks for sharing.

You have a superb reputation Centerpole, so I would never suspect anything bad tied to you.
reddog90
AG
https://bringatrailer.com/listing/1972-toyota-land-cruiser-fj40-9/

Someday...
Streetfighter 02
AG
The reserve was too high. That thing is overpriced at $22,500.

Of course you've got this thing going on right now:

https://bringatrailer.com/listing/1979-toyota-land-cruiser-fj43-4/

If it's a '79 the bezel is incorrect. It's got the top welded on permanently. It looks like they spent a bunch to restore it but something as seemingly trivial as a square bezel shouldn't have been overlooked. It would make me wonder what else got skipped over for the lipstick.
reddog90
AG
What's you opinion on it's value? There are some slight cosmetic things I would change but it's just about exactly what I would want for a weekend truck. I'm not in the market right now but not sure if I should anticipate a future rig being $15k or $30k etc.

And I thought Terra did nice work. Idk about the bezel. Here is another '79 43 of theirs. I don't think I'd ever want a permanent hard top personally.

https://www.terra-cruisers.com/1979-fj43-olive
Streetfighter 02
AG
Anything without a 2F motor (pre '75) is generally less valuable. The bumpers on that '72 are from 4Plus in Arizona.

In this photo, above the kick vent, it looks like there is a washer with a screw plugging an unknown hole. Possibly a CB antenna or something. Crap like that being sprayed over should red flag any paint work as lazy at minimum and poorly performed at best.

Aftermarket flip down tailgate.

Some sort of added panel to the rear quarters.

I'd be looking for bondo on this rig. It looks great in pictures. It may not be as great as it looks in reality.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.