Houston
Sponsored by

IAH is an unmitigated effing disaster right now - it's Afghanistan level

37,609 Views | 375 Replies | Last: 1 day ago by BohunkAg
exp
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Does anyone have any tips for how to get into Terminal E to check in for an international flight efficiently right now? They're sending everyone to check in at Terminal C and it's third world stuff. The traffic to go around the terminal building takes 45 minutes at least. The lines once you get inside are hours long literally.

I am taking a family 5 through there next month, no option to change, and am seriously dreading it. I will not voluntarily book another flight through IAH until this construction ends. Any help is appreciated.
drmwvr
AG
Park in A/B and take the train over
exp
AG
drmwvr said:

Is the train behind security? If check in is at C how would we get past security without boarding passes? I'm assuming this plan only works if you already have boarding passes?

Have you actually tried this during the current mess?
scd88
AG
exp said:

drmwvr said:

Is the train behind security? If check in is at C how would we get past security without boarding passes? I'm assuming this plan only works if you already have boarding passes?

What airline are you flying?
Charlie Murphy
I flew out of there a week ago with little to no issues.
Welcome to the China Club

"Here's the pitch...POPPED it up! Oh man, that wouldn't be a home run in a phone booth."
-Harry Carey
Jock 07
AG
exp said:

drmwvr said:

Does the below ground train not run anymore?
karmapoliceman
AG
More specifics on your travel needs for this trip (airline, checked bag requirements, departure day/time, etc.) may help others provide higher quality input, but in general, I would recommend the following:

-If taking an Uber, consider having them drop you at terminal B or maybe at the IAH Marriott (from which you can take underground train to terminals)
-If driving yourself, reserve a spot ahead of time and park in A/B garage (spot must be reserved at least 24 hours in advance)
-If not checking bags, check in online ahead of time, go through security in terminal A or B, and the take tram to terminal C or E (note: tram and train are different)
-If checking bags, see if you can check in ahead of time and do bag drop only, which should be faster than a full checkin and bag drop together

I did this last week (parked in A/B, domestic flight on United, carry on only), and it worked very smoothly.
Crazy Ag 97
AG
We always park at and go in thru B regardless of our departure gate. This includes flights where we are checking bags. Just go to the counter at B and check in, go thru security and take the above ground train to your terminal. Super easy.
scd88
AG
I have started to park on the A side of the A/B garage and walk in the AC through the terminal versus B. That's if I have no checked luggage.

If I need to check bags, I'll go to B as I'm typically flying United. Even did that last year for London and took the above terminal train to E for departure.

There a lot of options, including taking the below terminal train to whatever terminal to check in.
exp
AG
International flight on United. Looks like we'll be able to get boarding passes beforehand so going thru security in B sounds like a winning plan. (United's passport scanning system wasn't working for my wife last week but it seems now that she's in the system we might be good)
Al Bula
AG
exp said:

International flight on United. Looks like we'll be able to get boarding passes beforehand so going thru security in B sounds like a winning plan. (United's passport scanning system wasn't working for my wife last week but it seems now that she's in the system we might be good)
wait you aren't the wife?!

1876er
AG
Charlie Murphy said:

I flew out of C just 10 hrs ago with no issue. I was shocked at how short the lines were. I kinda debated just taking the regular security line because it was so short.

The Ecopark at JFK was crazy full though. I wouldn't be surprised if they turned away non reservations.
NoahAg
Family and I got picked up via Uber a couple weeks ago. What a cluster f$&@ that was.
Stat Monitor Repairman
2024 and the fourth largest city in the US can't run an airport.
exp
AG
Can you get back to your car in B lot easily after exiting International arrivals in E?
TX04Aggie
AG
Yes. Just go down escalators after you exit customs down to subway and take it to B. If you are flying United, just park and do everything at terminal B no matter what terminal your plane is at
TXTransplant
1876er said:

Charlie Murphy said:

I flew out of C just 10 hrs ago with no issue. I was shocked at how short the lines were. I kinda debated just taking the regular security line because it was so short.

The Ecopark at JFK was crazy full though. I wouldn't be surprised if they turned away non reservations.

Can anyone else provide info on the current situation with Ecopark? Is anyone getting in without a reservation? We fly out in one week.

Last time we made a reservation and prepaid, the machines weren't working. So we had to pay a second time just to exit and get home.

I got my money back, but it was a pain. And we still would have paid full price (no discount).

We've been able to park without a reservation since then. I know there are other lots, but we prefer Ecopark.
MAROON
AG
if on United you can check in at B and then move to any of the terminals.

When coming home from an international flight, skip UBER and get a cab instead. Walk past all those people waiting for Ubers to the very end of the walkway where the taxi stand is located. You will have a taxi within five minutes and be on your way (my experience two weeks ago).
citizenkane06
AG
Man, I'm grateful for this thread!

I'm going to Canada this week, and my United flight is being operated by Air Canada. I think I have to check in through Air Canada - does anyone know if parking at A/B and taking the train over will work if I don't check in through United?
TXTransplant
citizenkane06 said:

I'm going to Canada this week, and my United flight is being operated by Air Canada. I think I have to check in through Air Canada - does anyone know if parking at A/B and taking the train over will work if I don't check in through United?

You should get an electronic BP. I flew AC a few weeks ago and did not have to check in at the counter. Proceeded straight to security. I did have to get the AC app.
citizenkane06
AG
OK thanks! We've been looking into the AC app.
Ferris Wheel Allstar
AG
the few times I have been on Air Canada it was out of B
citizenkane06
scd88
AG
Air Canada has check in counters in A. I saw them last week.
Beau Holder
AG
Crazy Ag 97 said:

We always park at and go in thru B regardless of our departure gate. This includes flights where we are checking bags. Just go to the counter at B and check in, go thru security and take the above ground train to your terminal. Super easy.

Bingo. End of thread.
kubiak03
AG
I flew into E Sunday. Who ever said it was a cluster f and like a third world city is 100 percent correct.
citizenkane06
AG
Thanks!
jh0400
AG
TXTransplant said:

citizenkane06 said:

You should get an electronic BP. I flew AC a few weeks ago and did not have to check in at the counter. Proceeded straight to security. I did have to get the AC app.

I try to avoid the AC counter if at all possible. The counter agents are sticklers for carry-on bag size and tried to get us to check ours even though there was no issue with them fitting in the overheard once we were on the plane.
Head Ninja In Charge
AG
I flew out of E last Thursday evening. It wasn't too bad. I parked in the Brown garage at C knowing that check-in was there for all departures out of E currently. Opted out of Uber or a shuttle because 1) I don't like lines, and 2) I'm in total control of ingress/egress. Getting through the security line wasn't bad at all, I've been through worse.

Granted, it was just me. My boarding time was 5:35 PM. I got to the airport parking garage at 4:58 PM. Was at my gate (parked/entered through C, walked to second-to-last gate in E) by 5:32 PM.
schmellba99
AG
exp said:

Does anyone have any tips for how to get into Terminal E to check in for an international flight efficiently right now? They're sending everyone to check in at Terminal C and it's third world stuff. The traffic to go around the terminal building takes 45 minutes at least. The lines once you get inside are hours long literally.

I am taking a family 5 through there next month, no option to change, and am seriously dreading it. I will not voluntarily book another flight through IAH until this construction ends. Any help is appreciated.
Imma give you a little bit of advice - much like I-45, 59 and I-35 - construction never ends at any major airport.
JJxvi
AG
jh0400 said:

TXTransplant said:

citizenkane06 said:

I try to avoid the AC counter if at all possible. The counter agents are sticklers for carry-on bag size and tried to get us to check ours even though there was no issue with them fitting in the overheard once we were on the plane.

Lol. This happened to my wifes parents on a flight to Montreal a few weeks ago. They were standing around waiting for my wife and I to check in and were convinced they needed to check their carry ons. Then the bags didnt even make it. They were reunited with them in Ottawa 6 days later.

Even outside of that fiasco I dont recommend them. Good luck.
billyjack2009
We Uber to and Taxi from the airport.
AggieSam02
AG
This. Done it for a year on at least 4 occasions. Piece of cake.

Park at B. Check in, drop bags,go thru security - all at B. Then ride train over to your terminal you fly out of.

It is starting to become a little more known so it's getting a little busier but it's way better than the CE cluster.
gougler08
AG
Another option is Terminal D, normally not that crowded for United flights and security is always a breeze. Can now walk directly to Terminal C or E from it, 5-10 min walk max
12th Man Ag
AG
Flew out of C on Monday morning. No issues getting to Departures. Bag tag printing and drop off took 10 minutes for a family of 5. TSA Pre-check took 5-10 minutes. Eating at Pappasito's 30 minutes after arriving at airport. United flight boarded and left on time. Flight was smooth. Costa Rica is beautiful and SCARY!

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.