Houston
Sponsored by

Houston Top 100 Restaurants Out

14,301 Views | 142 Replies | Last: 1 yr ago by swimmerbabe11
DiskoTroop
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Diggity said:

what would you say is the appropriate look/political leanings for your "dream food critic"
While the intent of your question is dead on, I'd say this... I'd prefer a food critic that didn't allow her leanings to influence her critiques. Her open distaste for Preslee's because of political issues and support of Giacomo's for the same smack loudly of bias to me.

That means nothing RE the food. So my dream food critic would be ... get this ... a food critic.
Diggity
AG
I would question why a place like Preslee's would ever be on a food critic's radar in the first place. Must have missed that outrage.

I have no love for Allison Cook. Just think the criticism of a food critic's appearance is funny.
DiskoTroop
Diggity said:

I would question why a place like Preslee's would ever be on a food critic's radar in the first place. Must have missed that outrage.

I have no love for Allison Cook. Just think the criticism of a food critic's appearance is funny.
Yeah, I can agree with that. Preslee's was on her radar BECAUSE of their political stances. Hence my distaste for the fact that she even bothered. Just speaks to the bias.
Hammerly High Dive Crips
Diggity said:

what would you say is the appropriate look/political leanings for your "dream food critic"
Pretty much this.

Agnes Moffitt Rollin 60's - RIP Casper and Lil Ricky - FREE GOOFY AND LUCKY!
cajunaggie08
AG
TheFunnierPhideaux said:

Diggity said:

While the intent of your question is dead on, I'd say this... I'd prefer a food critic that didn't allow her leanings to influence her critiques. Her open distaste for Preslee's because of political issues and support of Giacomo's for the same smack loudly of bias to me.

That means nothing RE the food. So my dream food critic would be ... get this ... a food critic.
On the flip side, I would also prefer for restaurants to avoid being political. The owners are allowed to have their opinions, but the moment you start using your business as a megaphone for your personal opinions I would just rather avoid going there. In some cases it works as a marketing technique to attract certain customers, but you run the risk of driving away others.
Hammerly High Dive Crips
TheFunnierPhideaux said:

Diggity said:

Yep. It's more what the person's appearance entails. That we have very little similarities. Almost nothing in common. She probably hates extremely masculine and hyper athletic alpha males like me. And I simply don't trust crazy old liberal ladies to be objective. I trust this board WAY more than I ever would her recommendations. This board has almost never steered me wrong in the last 15 yrs or so when it comes to food. So much so that my t-sip wife is a big fan of the tine board and has often asked if there were any new recs from the degenerates on here.
Hammerly High Dive Crips
cajunaggie08 said:

TheFunnierPhideaux said:

Diggity said:

On the flip side, I would also prefer for restaurants to avoid being political. The owners are allowed to have their opinions, but the moment you start using your business as a megaphone for your personal opinions I would just rather avoid going there. In some cases it works as a marketing technique to attract certain customers, but you run the risk of driving away others.
Can't blame a start up business for "getting political" when an entire political party wants to shut them down and ruin them over a virus with a 99+% survival rate. Their setup and business model is the antithesis to the tyrannical Covid protocol that was pushed on small businesses. I think they just believe in freedom and simply wanted to be left alone. Insane that they didn't want to be crushed "for a good cause", right?
texagbeliever
Diggity said:

A common man, who looks at Allison Cook, can tell he most likely will never order the same food she would at a restraunt. At the same time, her appearance would suggest she doesn't have a great attention to detail either. Not that there is anything wrong with that, just doesn't seem to make for a valuable food critic review for most.
Panama Red
AG
We frequent Preslees, especially during kid baseball season. Its a great spot for a big group with kids. But the food is not very good. Its probably best there is no review of the food out there.
Diggity
AG
texagbeliever said:

Diggity said:

A common man, who looks at Allison Cook, can tell he most likely will never order the same food she would at a restraunt. At the same time, her appearance would suggest she doesn't have a great attention to detail either. Not that there is anything wrong with that, just doesn't seem to make for a valuable food critic review for most.
I think the Chronicle has a reader's choice list for the best "common man" restaurants.
BohunkAg
AG
Diggity said:

You f-cked her didn't you
Ducks4brkfast
AG
Ayo
cone
AG
yuck
Hammerly High Dive Crips
BohunkAg said:

Diggity said:

You f-cked her didn't you
Diggity has to constantly fight the burning desire to include her on the "Tine Traffic/Weather/Sports Girls" thread. He knows the judgement will be too much, so he keeps the crush to himself.
Diggity
AG
I think she's fair game...we should throw in John McClain while we're at it.
Irish 2.0
Diggity said:

Actually saw him speak at an A&M breakfast last week. Was enjoyable listening to him, but he loves the name dropping and had a bit of an 'infallible' presence to himself for anything Houston sports related.
Diggity
AG
did you tell you guys about the time he shot a movie with Bruce Willis?
Hammerly High Dive Crips
Diggity said:

He wasn't lookin too bad in "Facing Nolan" TBH.
ThunderCougarFalconBird
AG
Harry Lime said:

cone said:

if you ever saw Alison Cook in the wild and saw how she acts inside restaurants, you'd realize what kind of list this is
Never had the pleasure, but I did hear a first hand story from the guy she had kicked out of Anvil for saying a word she doesn't like - after overhearing a conversation that didn't involve her.
HtownAg92
AG
TheFunnierPhideaux said:

Diggity said:

Yeah, I can agree with that. Preslee's was on her radar BECAUSE of their political stances. Hence my distaste for the fact that she even bothered. Just speaks to the bias.
Reminds me of when the NYT went out of their way to review and trash the restaurant Guy Fieri opened up in Times Square. They knew it was not NY food critic standard and touristy donkey sauce, but they went after it anyway.

Guy is a cheeseball and has no aspirations of being Michelin starred, but a good dude. The critics just wanted an opportunity to turn their noses up so they could smell their own farts better.

MAS444
AG
I only watched about half of that because it wasn't very funny...but I find it strange the guy did a whole comedy bit on Conan defending Guy Fieri. I feel like I'm missing something...
BohunkAg
AG
Irish 2.0 said:

Diggity said:

Actually saw him speak at an A&M breakfast last week. Was enjoyable listening to him, but he loves the name dropping and had a bit of an 'infallible' presence to himself for anything Houston sports related.
NOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!! I can't believe that.
texagbeliever
Diggity said:

texagbeliever said:

Diggity said:

I think the Chronicle has a reader's choice list for the best "common man" restaurants.
I didn't mean common as in a reasonable price meal kind of person. I mean it as someone who would rate a course more based on the quality of the meat then the Brussel sprouts and cauliflower appetizer.
HtownAg92
AG
MAS444 said:

I only watched about half of that because it wasn't very funny...but I find it strange the guy did a whole comedy bit on Conan defending Guy Fieri. I feel like I'm missing something...
Maybe watch the whole thing to see what you are missing?

Comedians do bits on anything or nothing, like ketchup or camping or fisting or buying a tiger.
cajunaggie08
AG
texagbeliever said:

Diggity said:

texagbeliever said:

Diggity said:

I didn't mean common as in a reasonable price meal kind of person. I mean it as someone who would rate a course more based on the quality of the meat then the Brussel sprouts and cauliflower appetizer.
you and i both know that the common man is more interested in the size of the meat than the quality. and dont knock a high quality brussel sprout side. cauliflower can disappear for all i care though.
Jugstore Cowboy
AG
Your camping trips sound more fun than mine.
schmellba99
AG
tamuwx said:

From Cajuns I know, Ragin' Cajun is meh at best.
This.

Best thing there are the deviled egg appetizers with fried oysters on top. Outside of that have never been overly impressed. Nothing was bad, its just that nothing was holy moly good either.
HtownAg92
AG
schmellba99 said:

tamuwx said:

This.

Best thing there are the deviled egg appetizers with fried oysters on top. Outside of that have never been overly impressed. Nothing was bad, its just that nothing was holy moly good either.
Agree, and feel the same about BB's. Zydeco is way better. Even Treebeards is better.
chico
AG
Try the deviled eggs at Mandola Deli - super good
And yes Zydeco > Ragin Cajun
Hammerly High Dive Crips
HtownAg92 said:

schmellba99 said:

tamuwx said:

This.

Agree, and feel the same about BB's. Zydeco is way better. Even Treebeards is better.
BB's used to be really good in it's initial years imo. It's not bad now, just a shell of what it used to be.

Their Morgan City Catfish plate was awesome.
Chef Elko
AG
Went to a newer place called Marmo on Westheimer and Montrose. Their smoked potato gnocchi was the best entree I've had since moving to Houston 8 years ago.
MAS444
AG
I've heard that a lot about BBs. I haven't been in a while, though....which I guess says something too. The Heights location doesn't look very busy when I drive by. They sure expanded pretty quickly - hopefully not too quickly.
Ducks4brkfast
AG
Danwell Home said:

Went to a newer place called Marmo on Westheimer and Montrose. Their smoked potato gnocchi was the best entree I've had since moving to Houston 8 years ago.

Good to know. Having dinner there soon.
Jugstore Cowboy
AG
Haven't been to BB's in 2 years or so. Used to be semi regular at the Greenway location when it was a little less popular and easy to pop in. But I always liked the variety there. All 3 of the cajun places mentioned here have fairly different menus, outside of couple staples, so I'm not sure how I'd rank them against each other. I'm ordering different things at each place.

*oh, and you reminded me of something else I don't like about Cook. When BB's expanded, she trashed the new locations and said she really wished what'shisname had taken her advice not to expand too quickly b/c the food quality would suffer.

Number 1, a legitimate critic should be reviewing the food, not hanging out w/ the owners & giving them business advice in person or in the column. Number 2, she had her predictable criticism and rationale pre-written to click post right on queue when the new locations opened. So I don't really consider her a food critic, just a very active eater in the Houston food scene and restaurant owner groupie.
DiskoTroop
Harry Lime said:

…just a very active eater in the Houston food scene and restaurant owner groupie.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.