Houston
Sponsored by

Houston Top 100 Restaurants Out

14,250 Views | 142 Replies | Last: 1 yr ago by swimmerbabe11
Irish 2.0
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Gotcha.
cone
AG
it's her fiefdom you're just living in it
MAROON
AG
Not sure it belongs in top 25 but to say it's just a hair above hospital food and terrible is just silly.

What do you boys want for breakfast BBQ ?.....OK Chili.
jh0400
AG
MAROON said:

Not sure it belongs in top 25 but to say it's just a hair above hospital food and terrible is just silly.

The burgers at MH in the Med Center are surprisingly good.
DiskoTroop
MAROON said:

I've been a few times now because a family friend loves it. Besides the bread with the pesto spread on it, everything needs salt, pasta is thick, doughy and sometimes undercooked, the esteemed tortellini in brodo is $7 and it's 8 tortellini in chicken broth.

No. It's not great. DEFINITELY, not top 25.
Jugstore Cowboy
AG
cone said:

if you ever saw Alison Cook in the wild and saw how she acts inside restaurants, you'd realize what kind of list this is
Never had the pleasure, but I did hear a first hand story from the guy she had kicked out of Anvil for saying a word she doesn't like - after overhearing a conversation that didn't involve her.
Ducks4brkfast
AG
She's a see you next Tuesday for sure
Sea Speed
AG
Well what was the word?
cone
AG
nm
bularry
Harry Lime said:

htxag09 said:

Almost as if they just went out of their way to make it diverse or to include friends, etc.
Well, it's Alison Cook, sooo..... Her reviews have always seemed like more foodie/scenester opinions than pure food critic. She seems to base a lot on how much she likes the owners, atmosphere, and how important they make her feel. Very different than a lot of traditional critics who tried to slip in like normal customers.

But I can understand why they try to find new places and not just write up the same "celebrity" chefs/owners over and over.
this time they actually used a committee, so not just Alison, and they said they were definitely trying to broaden the pool of restaurants on the list
bularry
TheFunnierPhideaux said:

Giacomo's bring top 25 doesn't surprise me. She loves that stupid place. Food is a hair above hospital quality. Just terrible.
She isn't alone in loving that place... I haven't been in years except for one to go order several months ago which was pretty good.
cone
AG
it's probably near her apartment
Diggity
AG
Service was much better this time. Kid was totally cheesy but very attentive.

Food was fine too. This isn't a place I would rush to go back to but good option for the area. Just seems a bit pricey for what you get.
McGibblets
AG
Tried Khang while I was in the area. Not a bad sandwich, but also not even close to as good as Don's is just a few miles down the road
Charlie Murphy
CowtownAg06 said:

The slipping in of My Backyard is a great addition to the list and needs to recognized.
It had to be done.
angryocotillo
AG
I loved Street to Kitchen when I lived in the East End. It is the only restaurant I have ever been to where I thought I HAD to take other people there. I'm not much of a food critic though FWIW.
AggieZUUL
AG
Trendy restaurants typically fade out after 3 to 5 years...there should be a separate list for new restaurants because of course foodies are going to favor trendy over established.
tandy miller
AG
No gus'? Absurd
FJB
swimmerbabe11
I can get on board with this. how old is new though?
Ryan the Temp
AG
tandy miller said:

No gus'? Absurd
Gus' gave me the hot snakes.
tandy miller
AG
Ryan the Temp said:

tandy miller said:

No gus'? Absurd

What is the hot snakes
FJB
Echoes97
AG
MF Sushi is damn legit IMO
Us And Them - The Pink Floyd Experience
http://www.usandthemband.net
BohunkAg
AG
Ryan the Temp said:

tandy miller said:

No gus'? Absurd
don't need to know about your private life.
Ryan the Temp
AG
tandy miller said:

Ryan the Temp said:

tandy miller said:

No gus'? Absurd

What is the hot snakes
tandy miller
Hammerly High Dive Crips
I'm not gonna take food advice from an unkempt pasty old hag who looks like she has 5-6 cats and a Beto sign in her front yard. Houston is easily a top 3 food city in the US. It's hard to F up and have a bad meal.

Agnes Moffitt Rollin 60's - RIP Casper and Lil Ricky - FREE GOOFY AND LUCKY!
Irish 2.0
Hammerly High Dive Crips said:

I'm not gonna take food advice from an unkempt pasty old hag who looks like she has 5-6 cats and a Beto sign in her front yard. Houston is easily a top 3 food city in the US. It's hard to F up and have a bad meal.

No it's not. That's a homer statement. I'm not even sure Houston would crack the top 10 for restaurants in the US
Charlie Murphy
Be interested in your top 10 then. My guess is you are about to way over estimate places on the west coast/PNW.
Hammerly High Dive Crips
Irish 2.0 said:

No it's not. That's a homer statement. I'm not even sure Houston would crack the top 10 for restaurants in the US

I'm not necessarily talking about high rated fancy Michelin restaurants. Ethnic and cheap to moderately priced restaurants, we are very spoiled with options imo. I used to travel the country almost constantly, seeking out the good local joints. Houston kicks ass at food. And my backyard is better than any fancy steakhouse obviously so I don't even go to those anymore.

I feel like if Anthony Bourdain would have ever spent a month down here, he would have been blown away.
agz win
AG
No Zydecos- trash list. Try the gumbo.
Sea Speed
AG

Spitting image.

DiskoTroop
Irish 2.0 said:

Clearly not part of the food scene.
Hammerly High Dive Crips
Haha nails...only missing the cat collector glasses.
Diggity
AG
what would you say is the appropriate look/political leanings for your "dream food critic"
RK
AG

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.