Houston
Sponsored by

IRS raid at alliantgroup

36,385 Views | 150 Replies | Last: 11 mo ago by cj774
cajunaggie08
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
https://www.fox26houston.com/news/irs-conducting-raid-at-high-rise-building-in-galleria-area

I interviewed there around 10 years ago and something felt off about them then.
Hydrocele_aggie
cajunaggie08 said:

https://www.fox26houston.com/news/irs-conducting-raid-at-high-rise-building-in-galleria-area

This is what I tend to say when I don't get the job something was off about them
EconAg18
AG
I worked there for awhile. I can confirm - something was not right. I was not privy to a lot of the behind the scenes work going on, but there were a few situations that occurred right before I left where I raised concern and said I thought something funny was going on, and I was told to shut up and drink the kool-aid, and when I didn't i faced repercussions until I finally quit.

From the texts I've received today about this situation, I don't expect the company to exist much longer.
Texan_Aggie
AG
Their business model is not quality, it is sell as many projects as possible, crank them out as quickly as possible, and hope the IRS doesn't look at a majority of them.
Chewy
AG
Surprised it took this long. I worked there for a couple of months and it was a weird place. If you didn't 100% drink the Kool-Aid you were gone.

It was shady as hell.

There was a sign that said, "Friends and family may come and go but Alliantgroup is forever." They really meant that. If you wanted a life outside Alliantgroup then you'd never fit in.

My guess is the their tax credits became harder and harder to come by so they started stretching things more and more.
one MEEN Ag
AG
So I'm not familiar with Alliantgroup, but it looks like their business model is to help businesses structure their accounting to take advantage of normally harder to get tax credits/deductions? I assume this business was incredibly careless/aggressive and are now getting investigated by the IRS not for their own misdoing, but what they've sold their clients?
Chewy
AG
My guess is they went too far stretching what they were claiming as credits for their clients. They need big refund claims to charge hours against. I wouldn't be shocked if they were making up numbers different than what clients provided to get bigger returns.

At it's core it's a legit business but it was a big machine that requires a lot of money to keep the machine fed. The founder and CEO was a really weird dude that had a very fragile ego.

His entire life was Alliantgroup and he expected everyone to fall in line.
LPHA
AG
https://www.goingconcern.com/the-irs-is-paying-an-unwelcome-visit-to-alliantgroup/
AgLA06
AG
Hydrocele_aggie said:

cajunaggie08 said:

This is what I tend to say when I don't get the job something was off about them

As everyone else said, it was the case here. They needed experienced people from within the industries they targeted to pair with their accountants for legitimacy.

They recruited me. I went for an in person interview after a remote interview and it was a different world. People were expected to practically live there and prioritize "team building" projects that appeared to happen constantly. It came off as a accounting / consulting cult constantly looking for new slave labor that would drink the nothing is more important than work kool-aid.

When they pointed out how they catered breakfast, lunch, and dinner for employees daily so they didn't have to leave, I noped out.
swimmerbabe11
Quote:

When they pointed out how they catered breakfast, lunch, and dinner for employees daily so they didn't have to leave, I noped out.

mmm you sayyyyy benefit, but it looks awful lot like a large red piece of fabric waving in the air

fire09
AG
Got offered a job there in 2015, salary negotiations were weird, hours they expected us were odd too, I called them and told them no thanks the Friday before my first day. Knew a guy that ended up working there putting in 60 plus hours a week and making about 75k.
Cynic
Voted best place to work according to the huge banner on their building.
bigjag19
AG
Cynic said:

Voted best place to work according to the huge banner on their building.

My gf and I (insurance biz) were joking about how they may struggle to repeat this year.
Al Bula
AG
Any business that makes a huge deal about Being a best workplace is not to be taken seriously.
EconAg18
AG
The lead on this case is Ramsey E. Covington, the new special agent in charge of the Houston IRS field office. Has two decades of experience at the IRS handling high-profile cases, and he was relocated from DC to Houston specifically for this case.

So yeah, they're bringing out the big guns. I don't think they would have moved on it today unless they had them dead to rights.
Dill-Ag13
AG
I interviewed with them, shady vibes…

Asked me all kinds of questions like:
What do you consider a stressful workday
Define workplace culture
What is a long day?
Al Bula
AG
Dill-Ag13 said:

Define workplace culture
What is a long day?
not sure what is irregular about these questions that you would call "shady" but as your name indicates your are class of 2013… maybe there's a bigger problem here, not with the company in question.
maroon barchetta
Pretty sure this thread details that the company in question has some problems.

Sorry your company is getting investigated.
Aggie09Derek
AG
Are they pretty similar to Ryan?

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ryan_LLC
Dill-Ag13
AG
David Happymountain said:

Dill-Ag13 said:

Define workplace culture
What is a long day?
not sure what is irregular about these questions that you would call "shady" but as your name indicates your are class of 2013… maybe there's a bigger problem here, not with the company in question.

You are so far off-base on that I'm not even going to touch that
Frok
AG
What is a long day?

Getting audited by the IRS for tax fraud
ThunderCougarFalconBird
AG
Aggie09Derek said:

Are they pretty similar to Ryan?

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ryan_LLC
they're a low-rent knock off of Ryan.

ETA: I interviewed for a legal position there once around 2013 or 2014. Vibe from the interview was "bad" and that was putting it lightly.
Chewy
AG
Ryan is MUCH more diverse than Alliantgroup. It's been 10 years since I worked at Alliantgroup but it was basically a one trick pony going after Federal R&D credits.

I never worked at Ryan but worked in the industry. They had a reputation of a sweat shop and being aggressive on credits but weren't cultish like Alliantgroup.

Ryan made hay in the late 90s when the state of Texas put in a manufacturing credit on sales and use tax. They were smart enough to diversify beyond that. I've heard some people say the Ryan CEO is questionable in his business ethics but he's clearly an astute businessman. He's made a ton of cash.

I believe Alliantgroup is still milking that same cow never looking to diversify which doesn't surprise me. The founder had one decent idea and couldn't grow beyond that.
shhopkins
AG
I don't know if they did anything unscrupulous, but the IRS are pieces of excrement.

They were weaponized against citizens with opposing views on policy.

In summary, I hope the IRS chokes on it.
cajunaggie08
AG
Dill-Ag13 said:

Dill-Ag13 said:

Define workplace culture
What is a long day?

Haha no kidding. Anyone involved with drilling, field and office, is familiar with putting in extra hours. I don't mind taking calls at 3 am or sending a statement of fact at dinner time. But if I'm going to be judged negatively for expecting to go home for dinner then no thanks. That job and culture is toxic.
EconAg18
AG
Had a lot of former coworkers of mine reach out to me in addition to people working there now. The general consensus is this investigation originally began in 179D, but they've found a lot of activity in both R&D and ERC. One of my friends still there said they all believe this is a "doomsday scenario" and that the company could fold. They also said a lot of people are willing to sing.

Interesting note - all of the execs were walked out by FBI yesterday, but the CEO was nowhere to be seen and agents were asking where he was. The same CEO posted on instagram last night claiming he went to dinner with coworkers, but he wasn't in any of the pics. This is just rumor, but people think he's already out of the country or trying to leave and is trying to make it seem like he's still in Houston.
Milwaukees Best Light
AG
Maybe I have watched too many movies, but trying to get cute and lay red herrings to a government investigation seems like a bad idea. Silence seems much more effective. Don't say anything and just pay cash for a while. Dumbass.
Dill-Ag13
AG
cajunaggie08 said:

Dill-Ag13 said:

Dill-Ag13 said:

Define workplace culture
What is a long day?

Haha no kidding. Anyone involved with drilling, field and office, is familiar with putting in extra hours. I don't mind taking calls at 3 am or sending a statement of fact at dinner time. But if I'm going to be judged negatively for expecting to go home for dinner then no thanks. That job and culture is toxic.

Yup, not all millennials work 35-hour weeks fully remote with their emotional support turtles
bigjag19
AG
Dill-Ag13 said:

cajunaggie08 said:

Dill-Ag13 said:

Dill-Ag13 said:

Define workplace culture
What is a long day?

Yup, not all millennials work 35-hour weeks fully remote with their emotional support turtles

30 hours and it's a bearded lizard.
cajunaggie08
AG
bigjag19 said:

Dill-Ag13 said:

cajunaggie08 said:

Dill-Ag13 said:

Dill-Ag13 said:

Define workplace culture
What is a long day?

30 hours and it's a bearded lizard.

I'm down to 20 and a flock of chickens. Well half of that is true
bigjag19
AG
As is half of mine.
BTHOtrolls
AG
cajunaggie08 said:

Also had an interview, it became so weird, I told the interviewer mid way through that the role wouldn't be a good fit for me. The whole place seemed off and had a Truman show vibe as if employees were all being controlled and told how to behave.
BTHOtrolls
AG

^ video of law enforcement agents telling employees that they must leave the office until their investigation is complete.

The agent also said that employees will not have access to the company server, so can't work from home.
htownag10
AG
Lol one voter
Petrino1
BTHOtrolls said:

^ video of law enforcement agents telling employees that they must leave the office until their investigation is complete.

The agent also said that employees will not have access to the company server, so if the investigation takes several week, It'll be difficult for them to stay in business.
One poster on reddit said its probably the first weekend they havent worked all year lol. Spot on.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.