Houston
Sponsored by

Houston Oilers

33,070 Views | 309 Replies | Last: 3 mo ago by Chewy
Stat Monitor Repairman
How long do you want to ignore this user?

Anybody remember an abandoned Houston Oilers truck parked over west of Shepherd at around 18th street?

Truck was parked on the side of an old house next to a couple other junk cars.

Was done-up like the photo above. Seems like it may have been a larger truck, maybe a one-ton.
DustysLineup
AG
Look at the google street view for Big Star Bar. Pretty sure it's that Dodge in the picture that's been parked there for years.
sts7049
AG
yep pretty sure thats the one
Hwy30East
Where did you get the photo of that truck at?

Stat Monitor Repairman
Thats it no question.
Chewy
AG
Houston Oilers number one.
CW Griswold
The Oilers were a football team in Houston from 1960-1996.
Stat Monitor Repairman
Losing the Oilers changed the culture of the city for the worse.

Texans have been a donkey show since inception.
Stat Monitor Repairman
GIS.

Traced it to this chronicle blog article.

https://blog.chron.com/thetexican/2013/09/this-luv-ya-blue-truck-is-the-stuff-that-vintage-houston-football-dreams-are-made-of/#photo-319492
Big Cat `93
AG
RIP, Curley Culp.
Hwy30East
Thanks! I knew the owner of it, and had driven that truck around back during the Love Ya Blue days after he won it.
DustysLineup
AG
You can probably go visit it any time you like at the Big Star. I didn't notice if it was still there last time I went by, but it's still there in the latest google street view.
tmaggies
AG
Stat Monitor Repairman said:

Along with the NFL! Miss that team and the old NFL.
MAROON
AG
Wish we still had a fancy passing Dago and the Oiler Cannonball
What do you boys want for breakfast BBQ ?.....OK Chili.
JABQ04
AG
CW Griswold said:

The Oilers were a football team in Houston from 1960-1996.

v
Jock 07
AG
I have nothing to add other than **** bud adams.
FBA
Jock 07
AG
Oh and also they should put that on display at 8th wonder. ****ty beer but cool spot.
Stat Monitor Repairman
Tony B should buy it and restore it.

Park it on the street in river oaks in celebration of the Astroworld settlement.

An oilers truck would piss off river oaks s***birds slightly more than a WWII tank.
2girlsdad
Bringing the Oilers back would be the ONLY way to get my interest back into the NFL.
CW Griswold
The primary colors of the Houston Oilers was Columbia blue, scarlet red, and white.
Stat Monitor Repairman
Big Cat `93
AG
Amen.
Stat Monitor Repairman

We went from this ... to this in 40-years.

scd88
AG
2girlsdad said:

Bringing the Oilers back would be the ONLY way to get my interest back into the NFL.

Yep.
scd88
AG
Even when they sucked, I loved the Oilers. I miss them.
Stat Monitor Repairman
"He can take his'n and beat your'n, and then he can take your'n and beat his'n."

-Bum Phillips talking about Bear Bryant
NoahAg
Stat Monitor Repairman said:

Pretty sure that had more to do with demographics, a string of garbage mayors, Dora, and DA, and not some trash football team.
Let's go, Brandon!
Scientific
AG
It's offensive when Tennessee wears our throwbacks. Would anyone in Nashville even buy Oilers merch? It's such an engrained part of Houston. Same thing with the Thunder and the Sonics.
Ciboag96
Ohhhh, man. I often day dream about the Houston "I'm in Finance" Texans packing up their weak ass **** and moving to Omaha. They can change their name to the Berkshire Hathaway MidCap Funds. Their following wouldn't change.

Then, the true Luv Ya Blue moves back from that toothless state into the warm and humid embrace of the rough and tumble town it so desperately needs. Toss that Titan moniker for the name that real men would re-adopt. The Derrick would fly again, baby. Grit would be back, and grit would follow them. The "I'm in Private Equity" bunch would curl their nose up to my beloved Oilers, like they opened up a corked '97 Chatue Lafite Rothschild. **** 'em. They can pick up polo. My great aunt would whip out her industrial size fan of hair spray, puff out her blondish buffant and bring the Derrick Dolls back, baby. Cigarettes and Bud Heavy for everyone.

That reminds me, I haven't pissed on Bum Adams grave in at least 3 weeks. I need to head over there.

Milwaukees Best Light
AG
Can we get a list of businesses his family owns? There was a car dealership mentioned in a recent thread, but would be nice to know what all so I don't give them any of my money.
Stat Monitor Repairman
I was a Houston Oilers fan growing up.

I never got a chance to go to a game at the Dome.

So, for those who were there,

What was the biggest Houston Oiler's home game of all time?
Hwy30East
The first game that always comes to mind, is the Monday night game against the Miami Dolphins, and Earl Campbell ran for 199 yards for the win.
scd88
AG
Ciboag96 said:

Ohhhh, man. I often day dream about the Houston "I'm in Finance" Texans packing up their weak ass **** and moving to Omaha. They can change their name to the Berkshire Hathaway MidCap Funds. Their following wouldn't change.

Then, the true Luv Ya Blue moves back from that toothless state into the warm and humid embrace of the rough and tumble town it so desperately needs. Toss that Titan moniker for the name that real men would re-adopt. The Derrick would fly again, baby. Grit would be back, and grit would follow them. The "I'm in Private Equity" bunch would curl their nose up to my beloved Oilers, like they opened up a corked '97 Chatue Lafite Rothschild. **** 'em. They can pick up polo. My great aunt would whip out her industrial size fan of hair spray, puff out her blondish buffant and bring the Derrick Dolls back, baby. Cigarettes and Bud Heavy for everyone.

That reminds me, I haven't pissed on Bum Adams grave in at least 3 weeks. I need to head over there.

****ing awesome post.
AgCPA95
AG
Milwaukees Best Light said:

Can we get a list of businesses his family owns? There was a car dealership mentioned in a recent thread, but would be nice to know what all so I don't give them any of my money.
That was West Point Lincoln on Katy Freeway. Not sure of any others.
Hwy30East
https://www.chron.com/news/houston-texas/houston/article/Bud-Adams-car-lot-off-59-is-finally-for-sale-11111382.php

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.