Houston
Sponsored by

May flood event

33,563 Views | 279 Replies | Last: 2 yr ago by FHKChE07
Onceaggie2.0
How long do you want to ignore this user?
omg its raining in Houston during the summer.
tk for tu juan
Well actually it is still spring
Jugstore Cowboy
AG
I don't feel as if you adequately warned me for this one.
Rustys-Beef-o-Reeno
AG
gougler08
AG
That **** was pretty intense on the west side for 30 min
jbanda
AG
Agreed. Power went out 4 times but came back within minutes every time. Had winter storm flashbacks every time.
cone
AG

this lady is dumb af
Jugstore Cowboy
AG
Same ***** that camped outside of HEB's for weeks last Spring in the pre-dawn hours trying to stoke panic over grocery supplies. And has lived here (or really anywhere) long enough not to be fazed by blinking lights. She's a stupid menace with an outsized stage.

Oh, and her husband is a member of the Texas legislature.
cone
AG
the comments didn't make me feel any better

are we living on the same planet with these people? you might lose power for hours during a bad thunderstorm. you might lose it for a week during a hurricane. welcome to earth.
Jugstore Cowboy
AG
The amen chorus on Twitter is always astoundingly stupid, but all of these people acting as if they are entirely unfamiliar with electricity just to blame greedy corporationy Republicans is pathetic.
Whoop Delecto
AG
CDUB98
AG
cone said:

the comments didn't make me feel any better

are we living on the same planet with these people? you might lose power for hours during a bad thunderstorm. you might lose it for a week during a hurricane. welcome to earth.

And remember, they vote.
Fitch
AG
And breed.
jc1402
AG
Does anybody have a good resource that tracks number of rain days? I know some construction software does to track potential project delays. But is there a google-able source that will tell you "It has rained x number of days over the past 30 days in Houston and x total days ytd." ?

Looking at the forecast this week got me curious. It seems like we haven't strung 2-3 dry days together over the last month or so.
Sea Speed
AG
The zero dry time is killing me.
TriAg2010
AG
NOAA has long-term rain day data. Not sure about YTD:

https://www.ncei.noaa.gov/access/search/data-search/normals-annualseasonal-1991-2020
TriAg2010
AG
I find it strange we have forecasts for another 4-6 inches of rain in NW Houston over the next few days but there's been minimal release from Addicks or Barker dams since the rain last week. Addicks has been hovering at ~92 feet. Would it have not made some sense to release water between storms and reduce the risk of SH6 flooding? It's not like the bayou levels are high right now.
txags92
AG
TriAg2010 said:

I find it strange we have forecasts for another 4-6 inches of rain in NW Houston over the next few days but there's been minimal release from Addicks or Barker dams since the rain last week. Addicks has been hovering at ~92 feet. Would it have not made some sense to release water between storms and reduce the risk of SH6 flooding? It's not like the bayou levels are high right now.
For whatever reason, the Corps is usually very slow to start releasing water from the reservoirs, even when it is not raining and Buffalo Bayou is already down to normal. Probably trying to hold more water in the reservoirs to "make it hurt" so we are more likely to jump at their plan to channelize Buffalo Bayou and level most of the remaining habitat between Hwy 6 and Downtown.
Cromagnum
AG
Ag_07
AG
Or maybe they're OK with the reservoir do it's job and hold water rather than risk letting water out and raising the level of the bayou right before a forecasted rain event.
chimpanzee
Back in 2004 it rained nearly every day in June, trying to get a job done outside and it kept getting pushed back. Looks like we're in that pattern.
Jugstore Cowboy
AG
Used the window to get some yard stuff done. Had a large tallow branch come down in the wind and electrical storm - fortunately landed in the yard and not on the roof. Will make for some good firewood somewhere down the line.
Jackal99
AG
Oh, look at me, I'm a lumberjack.
txags92
AG
Ag_07 said:

Or maybe they're OK with the reservoir do it's job and hold water rather than risk letting water out and raising the level of the bayou right before a forecasted rain event.
We can agree to disagree here I guess. There hasn't been any risk of flooding rains for at least the last 3 days. Yet the gates appear to have stayed mostly closed and the reservoir levels have stayed basically flat. That was their release window...now the rest of this week and through the weekend, they probably can't do much if any releases. If we get the 4-6" of rain they predict, Hwy 6 (and maybe Eldridge too) will be under water, and the traffic on the West side of town will be terrible for the next week or two.
Jugstore Cowboy
AG
Jackal99 said:

Oh, look at me, I'm a lumberjack.
and I'm ok!
Rustys-Beef-o-Reeno
AG
I don't know about minimal but bayou levels are slightly elevated and flowing pretty good just east of the barker dam on Buffalo bayou.
lunchbox
Almost 3" at my place since 6pm...
FHKChE07
AG
They used to have a rule that if there was more than a certain chance of rainfall they wouldn't release any water. I'm not sure post Harvey what their algorithm is.
Texan_Aggie
AG
lunchbox said:

Almost 3" at my place since 6pm...
You talking rain or
Serious Lee
Sea Speed said:

The zero dry time is killing me.
not being able to kill mosquitoes is killing me
lancevance
Who got caught in that super pour around 7pm near bw8 and 290?
Martin Q. Blank
lancevance said:

Those who were near bw8 and 290 at around 7pm.
chimpanzee
lancevance said:

If you're prepared, it's not so bad.

cajunaggie08
AG
txags92 said:

Ag_07 said:

We can agree to disagree here I guess. There hasn't been any risk of flooding rains for at least the last 3 days. Yet the gates appear to have stayed mostly closed and the reservoir levels have stayed basically flat. That was their release window...now the rest of this week and through the weekend, they probably can't do much if any releases. If we get the 4-6" of rain they predict, Hwy 6 (and maybe Eldridge too) will be under water, and the traffic on the West side of town will be terrible for the next week or two.
I'm fairly certain the reservoirs can handle another 4-6" of rain without flooding anyones homes. Sure hwy 6 and eldridge may flood, but its the reservoirs' primary purpose to hold water back so that the homes and businesses downstream don't have further property eroded away nor flood from the bayou. If anything, HWY 6 should have been built higher up, but I'm guessing TxDOT decided the risk wasnt worth the cost.
Rustys-Beef-o-Reeno
AG
Building them higher only lowers the volume

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.