Houston
Sponsored by

May flood event

33,567 Views | 279 Replies | Last: 2 yr ago by FHKChE07
Seabreeze
How long do you want to ignore this user?
NHC monitoring now. Not going to be anything much to worry about it looks like, but a good trial run to start the season..
Seabreeze
New euro, 6pm tomorrow
Rustys-Beef-o-Reeno
AG
CDUB98
AG
This is seriously screwing with my training for Hotter Than Hell.
Jugstore Cowboy
AG
What ended up happening with the Kyle Field 100 or whatever they did this year?

Screwing up lots of other plans for outdoor activities this wknd. But WE NEED THE RAIN!!!
Seabreeze
Taking in alot of drier air right now. Don't see it being much of a big deal. But who knows.
Teddy Perkins
AG
These guys - https://spacecityweather.com/

The bottom line is that yes, we realize no one wants to see a tropical blob in the Gulf of Mexico. However, this one likely carries a minimal threat, and we expect the region to really begin to dry out on Sunday. We'll have more in the morning.
atmtws
AG
Teddy Perkins said:

These guys - https://spacecityweather.com/

The bottom line is that yes, we realize no one wants to see a tropical blob in the Gulf of Mexico. However, this one likely carries a minimal threat, and we expect the region to really begin to dry out on Sunday. We'll have more in the morning.
40% chance of developing now.

Quote:

. The National Hurricane Center gives the system a 40 percent chance of becoming a depression before moving into Texas tonight. Even so, we don't think it will change our forecast much. If that changes, we will of course update later today.
Jack Klompus
AG
To add insult to injury:
https://abc13.com/houston-harris-co-left-out-of-$1-billion-in-flood-mitigation-aid/10669614/
Quote:

The city of Houston and Harris County won't receive a single cent from $1 billion in federal funds that communities could apply for and use for flood mitigation projects related to Hurricane Harvey.

The Texas General Land Office will make the formal announcement on Friday, but on Thursday it told 13 Investigates it has already met with Houston and Harris County to let them know they were not awarded any funds.
atmtws
AG
Good. They've already proven they can't manage these funds after Ike and Harvey. Let the Feds manage these projects. The city is joke with them. They also want to create a "Gulf Coast Protection District".

https://legiscan.com/TX/bill/SB1160/2021
V8Aggie
AG
Whelps guys weekend at the beach house should be interesting.
Diggity
AG
you know what they say: if it's sunny, drink beer. If it's cloudy, drink whiskey
Cromagnum
AG
atmtws said:

Good. They've already proven they can't manage these funds after Ike and Harvey. Let the Feds manage these projects. The city is joke with them. They also want to create a "Gulf Coast Protection District".

No joke. I don't want Dora anywhere near any decision that money would have touched.
Teddy Perkins
AG
Not sure I'd consider the GLO the feds.
chimpanzee
atmtws said:

Do we not recall our water bills doubling to support drainage projects that reached their zenith with the city asking citizens to clean out storm drains by hand?
BQ_90
AG
V8Aggie said:

Whelps guys weekend at the beach house should be interesting.
WHATEVER YOU DO, SAVE THE CART
FarmerJohn
AG
What I read in the article, after sifting through the whining.

Quote:

Harris County said it was not contacted about the technical errors and thus were not able to correct their application.
Quote:

No new applications will be accepted, but the GLO said it will consider changing its scoring formula. The formula has been in place since 2019 and HUD approval will be needed in order to change it.
Harris County's submittal was poorly done and probably assumed that they would automatically get the money without any trying or effort. The errors caused them to score very low in the formula. The state didn't want to open pandora's box where Houston and Harris get to redo their bids without every community getting another shot. The formula isn't even the states, but the Feds.
Diggity
AG
No matter how little you think of CoH and Harris County, the area that got the majority of the flood damage getting zero dollars from this pool because of alleged "clerical errors" is pretty silly.

Sounds like it amounts to partisan politics. Big surprise.
Teddy Perkins
AG
Diggity said:

No matter how little you think of CoH and Harris County, the area that got the majority of the flood damage getting zero dollars from this pool because of alleged "clerical errors" is pretty silly.

Exactly. We all have issues with Dora and Sly but the GLO bending over the residents and businesses in Harris County and Houston is all kinds of ****ed up.
Teddy Perkins
Teddy Perkins
AG
htxag09
AG
Teddy Perkins said:

Diggity said:

Exactly. We all have issues with Dora and Sly but the GLO bending over the residents and businesses in Harris County and Houston is all kinds of ****ed up.

I agree with both of yall. But, devils advocate, the city and county residents elected these jack asses with no experience thus resulting in them not knowing how to submit these applications. Yet nobody will bat an eye and they'll go along getting re-elected easily.
FarmerJohn
AG
Houston and Harris getting stiffed negatively affects me. And is there an element of politics in this? Yes, just like Houston not getting a space shuttle. But I completely understand where the state is coming from. Lets say you are a GLO bureaucrat. This money is is only available because of the Feds and you have to use "their" formula for awarding the contracts. I'm sure the state can put a little weighting here and there in the formula. But really you are just an administrator for their program. If you let Houston and Harris redo their screwups, it delays the awarding of the money to everyone and takes money away from someone that actually did a good job. There will be other chances. The other aspect to this is that if you don't spend the money, the Feds may think you don't actually need it and cut the remaining funds. Hard to believe that the Feds might spend less money, but crazier things have happened.
V8Aggie
AG
Regardless if they get the money, it's not going to help you or me at all.

They will spend the money on other pet projects as always. Screw them.
HtownAg92
AG
Emmett needs to get out there and tell everyone how colossal a screw up this was and that it would never happen, and never did happen, on his watch. Lay the foundation for an election bid for himself or someone competent.

This is the equivalent of legal malpractice. Like having your billion dollar lawsuit immediately dismissed, with prejudice, because you failed to follow the local rules.
Diggity
AG
Common sense has to be introduced at some point. Everyone knows that our area got the brunt of the damage so I would expect that when it came up that these "metrics" resulted in zero dollars being allocated to COH/Harris County, I think some discretion could have been used. I know it's asking a lot.
chimpanzee
If you want competent management, stay as far away from any urban center as you can. It's no guarantee of course, but it's just not a priority for city voters, they genuinely don't care about tangible quality of life as much as they do about the fan fiction version of reality that seems so inspiring or scary.
gougler08
AG
Diggity said:

Common sense has to be introduced at some point. Everyone knows that our area got the brunt of the damage so I would expect that when it came up that these "metrics" resulted in zero dollars being allocated to COH/Harris County, I think some discretion could have been used. I know it's asking a lot.
While I agree that common sense would probably be good, there is something to be said for do your job right the first time COH/Harris County. In private business, you have to do it right or you don't get what you want, I'd expect the same for government entities
txags92
AG
gougler08 said:

Diggity said:

While I agree that common sense would probably be good, there is something to be said for do your job right the first time COH/Harris County. In private business, you have to do it right or you don't get what you want, I'd expect the same for government entities
Being capable of doing the job right is pretty far down the list of hiring criteria for the city and county these days. Lots of demographic considerations and political allegiances come in way higher in importance on deciding who to hire.
schmellba99
AG
Harry Lime said:

What ended up happening with the Kyle Field 100 or whatever they did this year?

Screwing up lots of other plans for outdoor activities this wknd. But WE NEED THE RAIN!!!
It got cancelled.

And no, we absolutely do not need the rain. The entire region of SE Texas and most of the coastal bend, most of centex, all of north texas and most of the llano wasteland and west Texas has had plenty of rain to last a good while.
Sea Speed
AG
I'm not 100%, but I'm betting the we need the rain line was making fun of those who get on every thread prior to a massive event and start talking about needing the rain while the rest of Texas gets their **** pushed in.
schmellba99
AG
atmtws said:

No desire for any new district to be created, that just means more government bureaucracy and probably taxes at some point that won't do a damn bit of good.
schmellba99
AG
Diggity said:

It's not partisan politics, it's Harris County failing to do what apparently a whole lot of other places were capable of doing - filling out the correct paperwork and providing a submittal that demonstrated the need.

There are scoring metrics for a reason, and it would be partisan politics if the GLO and committee shrugged their shoulders at an entity that followed the rules and did the work and instead gave one that was too incompetent or lazy to do so money that others could use better.
Girthquake
Seabreeze said:

Yep.

Not gonna lie. Probably would.
htxag09
AG
Just watched a piece on this on khou. I guess it's too much to ask for these news stations to try and figure out why houston was left out and what errors were made on our end, instead they're fluff pieces with Hidalgo and turner outraged about formulas meant to harm large districts and we should be outraged with the federal government and glo

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.