Houston
Sponsored by

May flood event

33,536 Views | 279 Replies | Last: 2 yr ago by FHKChE07
Nobody Knows My Name
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
ABC's lunch time news yesterday was the same... "This is outrageous that Houston was left for this money!" The news desk anchor's head was about to explode.
htxag09
AG
Nobody Knows My Name said:

ABC's lunch time news yesterday was the same... "This is outrageous that Houston was left for this money!" The news desk anchor's head was about to explode.

Yep. Let's use some common sense here. If this were a formula issue that handicaps us we would have gotten something. Maybe not the amount proportional to the damage or population, but something. We got completely shut out. That tells me it's not because the formula, but because of incompetence. They really should be digging into that
Sea Speed
AG
So ridiculous. Its sad that not one single local entity will hold these morons accountable but instead will just blame others for their incompetence. How dare the feds not just fork over tons of money to us so we can fuel our cronyism and graft.

Complete trash.
Teddy Perkins
AG
Again, the GLO is not the feds. The GLO is a state agency run by George P. Bush. The decision to screw over Harris County residents and businesses because of their ****ty democrat officials and blame it on paperwork errors is bull***** The number of folks ok and supportive of this butt ****ing is troubling.
Sea Speed
AG
Fair enough on the GLO. That's my bad leaving them out, but if I'm not mistaken, its federal money. On that note, rules are rules. Sure Harris County has a need but the leadership is too incompetent to do things required to ensure their constituents are taken care of. Dora is more focused on code red and landing a fed gig and being the poster child for the DNC that she was derelict in her actual duties. Its pathetic and you shouldn't be pissed at the people who made the rules amdnthen enforced them, you should be pissed at the stupid ****s that couldn't follow them.
Teddy Perkins
AG
I'm pissed at the politics that keeps needed money from residents and businesses of Houston. I don't buy the paperwork error excuse from the GLO for a second. This is political.
TriAg2010
AG
Some of the arguments made by Harris County don't make any sense. Fair use excerpt from the Chron article:

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.houstonchronicle.com/news/houston-texas/houston/amp/Bush-blames-Houston-Harris-County-for-failure-to-16195442.php

Quote:

Hidalgo and Harris County Flood Control District Executive Director Russ Poppe said two criteria that discriminate against populous areas appear to have doomed their applications. The first considered a project's cost per person helped; the second tallied the share of the applicant's total residents who could benefit from the project.

That meant the city and county's status as the most populous in Texas worked against them when it came time to score the applications. For example*, Poppe said, on one project Harris County scored less than three points out of a possible 20 in those categories, which made up one-fifth of the total score.

"So right there, you're somewhere between 18-19 points at a disadvantage on two metrics that one could reasonably argue have no bearing whatsoever on the value or the benefits of the project," Poppe said.

The first criteria should help populous areas because you can spread a project's cost over more people leading to lower cost per person. That's a completely legitimate measure the value of a project and ration a finite resource.

The second probably favors smaller communities where one project could conceivably help everyone in a community where a project of equal scope in Harris County would only help a fraction of the population.

I don't think it's unreasonable to have some offsetting criteria like this so that all of the funding doesn't favor one community type. That Harris County got nothing is probably on them for proposing bad projects.

* - Also, this is pretty shoddy journalism right here. This example doesn't prove any point. So "one project" scored especially poor on this dimension. Whoopty doo. A proper example is comparing and contrasting a project in Harris County and one outside Harris County of similar cost/benefit that was not awarded to Harris County because of these criteria.
Sea Speed
AG
Well it wouldn't be reasonable to expect anyone at the chron to do any actual journalism.
Al Bula
AG
Can't wait to see the updated totals on drought.gov when the May numbers roll in! Galveston, Matagorda, Chambers and Brazoria should be good.
W
AG
okay, had enough of the rain for the month of May.

save some for June & July
Jack Klompus
AG
Harris County's CDBG-MIT Grant Applications - https://harrisrecovery.org/cdbg-mitigation/
City of Houston CDBG-MIT Background Information - https://www.publicworks.houstontx.gov/houston-drainage-studies
htxag09
AG
W said:

For real. The forecasts for this have sucked. I don't think anyone had the rain going past last Friday or Saturday.
Texan_Aggie
AG
Mosquitoes gonna be lit next week.
Cromagnum
AG
W said:

Gotta get past memorial day weekend first. Oof
Marvin_Zindler
AG
Weather like this always makes me laugh at the fact they used to try having a weekend concert festival in the middle of the largest detention pond inside the loop this time every year.
txags92
AG
Hopefully the MS Society will eventually realize the futility of planning a bike ride at the end of April or beginning of May for the same reason. They made it 20+ years without cancelling when they held it in the first half of April, but have cancelled at least 1 day more often than not since they moved it to the last half of April, and now to the first weekend in May.
chimpanzee
Marvin_Zindler said:

Weather like this always makes me laugh at the fact they used to try having a weekend concert festival in the middle of the largest detention pond inside the loop this time every year.
Not any dumber than what the Houston Press put together and put on paper every week.
Seersucker Ag 2011
AG
Marvin_Zindler said:

I'll never forget FPSF 2014(?) when about 10,000 people ran from the rain and packed into The Refinery. It took about two hours to get one beer I never paid for. That and all of the parking garage parties while the rain poured down.

Ah, to be young and wasting money on a stupid festival in a drainage ditch.
cajunaggie08
AG
Marvin_Zindler said:

The first few years it went on the area was going through a drought pattern so I can see the organizers thinking it was minimal risk as I worked with many young transplants that thought houston was just supposed to be dry from march through october.
Skillet Shot
Teddy Perkins said:

These guys - https://spacecityweather.com/

The bottom line is that yes, we realize no one wants to see a tropical blob in the Gulf of Mexico. However, this one likely carries a minimal threat, and we expect the region to really begin to dry out on Sunday. We'll have more in the morning.
Starting the week off strong with their Monday prediction...

Quote:

Monday

The overall setup remains the same, with moisture streaming in from the Gulf of Mexico today. However, areas east of Interstate 45 are increasingly unlikely to see more than light rain today and for the rest of the week.

However, areas along and west of Interstate 45including the hard hit Matagorda Bay regionmay continue to see at least moderate showers today. Accumulations of 1 to 2 inches are possible in these regions. Skies will otherwise be cloudy, with high temperatures getting up to around 80 degrees. Rain chances should slacken considerably this evening.

Kingwood is getting pounded like a red headed step child.
And the side of town has seen light rain all day.
I like the Space City guys, but they are just as bad at forecasting the weather as the rest of them.

The Kingwood Pain Train rides again.
Marvin_Zindler
AG
Skillet Shot said:

Teddy Perkins said:

The bottom line is that yes, we realize no one wants to see a tropical blob in the Gulf of Mexico. However, this one likely carries a minimal threat, and we expect the region to really begin to dry out on Sunday. We'll have more in the morning.

Quote:

Monday

The overall setup remains the same, with moisture streaming in from the Gulf of Mexico today. However, areas east of Interstate 45 are increasingly unlikely to see more than light rain today and for the rest of the week.

However, areas along and west of Interstate 45including the hard hit Matagorda Bay regionmay continue to see at least moderate showers today. Accumulations of 1 to 2 inches are possible in these regions. Skies will otherwise be cloudy, with high temperatures getting up to around 80 degrees. Rain chances should slacken considerably this evening.

I like the Space City guys, but they are just as bad at forecasting the weather as the rest of them.

Take it to the Conroe board.
aTm2004
AG
It's been pouring here since about 11. Probably 3" of rain.

At least I'm not going to have to run the sprinklers for a while.
Ezra Brooks
AG
aTm2004 said:

Oh Four Five
AG
Skillet Shot said:

Teddy Perkins said:

Quote:

Monday

They're certainly not perfect but at least they're honest about it.
Quote:

More rain is possible on Tuesday, but it should be less intense, and concentrated more to the south and west of Houston. How confident are we in that forecast? Not particularly given how badly today's heavy rains were forecast.

Ezra Brooks
AG
Ezra Brooks
AG
Ezra Brooks said:

aTm2004 said:

4.5" since 11AM
Dr. Doctor
AG
I've got 3"+ since it started in the back of Kingwood.

~egon
aTm2004
AG
Just checked my 5" rain gauge and I it's overflowing. It had ~1.5" in it from the weekend that I didn't dump out this morning, so 4" at least at my house and still coming down.
CDUB98
AG
I'm out here in my garage drinking beer and these mother ****ing mosquitoes are already getting drunk off my mother ****ing blood.
DiskoTroop
I was gonna have to put some water in my pool today if it hadn't rained... My fairly large pool is not very over filled. Probably 3" at least.
TexAgs1992
Seersucker Ag 2011 said:

Marvin_Zindler said:

I'll never forget FPSF 2014(?) when about 10,000 people ran from the rain and packed into The Refinery. It took about two hours to get one beer I never paid for. That and all of the parking garage parties while the rain poured down.

Ah, to be young and wasting money on a stupid festival in a drainage ditch.

Goodness, that was a **** show
Cromagnum
AG
Bigole dick about to piss on us some more.

tk for tu juan
Balls deep in Katy right now

It is raining sideways
Fitch
AG
Great light show going on here inside the loop.
tk for tu juan

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.