Houston
Sponsored by

Local Restaurant Specials

30,746 Views | 228 Replies | Last: 4 yr ago by Texan_Aggie
n_touch
How long do you want to ignore this user?
94chem said:

aTm2004 said:

Why do you not think it will be enough? There always seems to be people in there when I go, especially on the weekend for breakfast.

Because it's a tough business. You take a weekend off, somebody forgets to put the lemons out for the tea, 2 yahoos raise a stink on Yelp, and you're clawing your way uphill just because you took your kids fishing.

I look at a national brand like Starbucks, add up the cost of those buildings, employees, benefits, and oh yeah, the coffee...I figure if cars were lined up bumper to bumper and did nothing but hand over $5 bills all day long, it still amazes me that they turn a profit.
It is because they are handing over more than $5 per car. Secondly their coffee cost is insanely cheap to what others can get it. We are a small roaster and buy with other companies to lower our cost and can not even come close to what they get theirs.
aTm2004
AG
94chem said:

aTm2004 said:

Why do you not think it will be enough? There always seems to be people in there when I go, especially on the weekend for breakfast.

Because it's a tough business. You take a weekend off, somebody forgets to put the lemons out for the tea, 2 yahoos raise a stink on Yelp, and you're clawing your way uphill just because you took your kids fishing.

I look at a national brand like Starbucks, add up the cost of those buildings, employees, benefits, and oh yeah, the coffee...I figure if cars were lined up bumper to bumper and did nothing but hand over $5 bills all day long, it still amazes me that they turn a profit.
You're comparing a national chain that you can't drive more than a mile without seeing another to a single owned shop that looks to primarily be family run? I've gone in there many times and haven't seen the owner, but there's always someone there who is able to make me the tacos or quesadillas I want. When I went to pick up the tamales, we spoke for a while and he stated they're doing OK through this. As I waited for them to get my order ready, 4 other people walked in to pick up theirs. Do they have the numbers Torchy's or Starbucks has? No, but they also don't have the overhead or need for it. You know, sometimes I just want good tacos, and I don't need a beer or margarita to go with it. Honestly, Kingwood Meat Market is the one I'm amazed is still going (may not be now since this started).
MOCO9
AG
Any houston Mexican restaurants delivering orders? Thanks in advance.
bluefire579
AG
MOCO9 said:

Tony's does within 5 miles, but obviously doesn't help you if you're outside of heights/washington/garden oaks.

Any others I've seen personally have been on door dash or uber eats
RK
AG
fajita pete's. their queso sucks, but their fajitas were a lot better than i remember from a while back.
HtownAg92
AG
RK said:

fajita pete's. their queso sucks, but their fajitas were a lot better than i remember from a while back.
We had one in my old hood that was a go-to for a while for meal trains. I remember not caring much for their tortillas either. It's been about 5 years, so I'll give them another try like you did, especially since there is one in the GOOF.
Diggity
AG
I like their tortillas. Pretty similar to Lupe. Guess they're not for everyone.

Seems like Fajita Pete's must vary a lot from location to location because some of them get terrible reviews. The one in Bellaire is run by corporate so that may help.
RK
AG
that's where we ordered from. i thought the tortillas were good, too. it was bout $10-20 less for 1.5x food than when we ordered from lupe's and everything except the queso was just as good (except for the lack of that delicious lupe bean dip).
94chem
I was in HEB several weeks ago when the madness was kicking into full gear. Bread aisle was completely depleted, except for tortillas. A middle-aged couple next to me was having a discussion about whether they could figure out something to do with tortillas. I thought that some people just aren't cut out for surviving an apocalypse.
Bondag
AG
bluefire579 said:

MOCO9 said:

Tony's does within 5 miles, but obviously doesn't help you if you're outside of heights/washington/garden oaks.

Is that as the crow flies or driving distance? I could go for some tony's margs.
bluefire579
AG
Bondag said:

bluefire579 said:

MOCO9 said:

Is that as the crow flies or driving distance? I could go for some tony's margs.
As I recall, it didn't specify. We're at that point within driving distance, so we were fine either way. You'll be glad to know that they absolutely do deliver margs, though
MOCO9
AG
Thanks for the responses!
aTm2004
AG
Effing yankees. There ar e loads of things to do with tortillas. Also, just as a FYI, I've learned to avoid the HEB craziness right now and go to the Kroger at LKP/NP. Not as crowded and they have pretty much everything, including lots of bread.
wessimo
AG
Need inspiration for a good pick up meal for tonight. Preferably within 15 minutes of the Heights. Any suggestions?
Premium
AG
wessimo said:

Need inspiration for a good pick up meal for tonight. Preferably within 15 minutes of the Heights. Any suggestions?

I thought everything was within 15 minutes of the heights
Stringfellow Hawke
AG
https://www.agricolehospitality.com/
SockDePot
aTm2004 said:

Effing yankees. There ar e loads of things to do with tortillas. Also, just as a FYI, I've learned to avoid the HEB craziness right now and go to the Kroger at LKP/NP. Not as crowded and they have pretty much everything, including lots of bread.

I try and go to the Kroger on wirt instead of heb bunker hill. Every time I'm in there I feel like it's the scene from men in black, where everyone that works there and shops there is an alien in disguise.
drumboy
AG
Premium said:

wessimo said:

I thought everything was within 15 minutes of the heights

It is, that's why it's so hard to figure out what to eat everyday.

Saw on FB that Tony's has 2x1 enchiladas today. Hughies has cheap growler fills.
CowtownAg06
AG
wessimo said:

Field and Tides and Maison Pucha have been good take out.
Texan_Aggie
AG
CowtownAg06 said:

wessimo said:

Field and Tides and Maison Pucha have been good take out.

Mastrantos has been solid. Turned their waiters into delivery drivers, free delivery. Super thankful and personable each time we've bought. Good food too at a very reasonable price. Never been in person, but definitely will be in the rotation once things open back up

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.