Houston
Sponsored by

Tine Coronavirus thread

2,499,805 Views | 20959 Replies | Last: 2 mo ago by Ciboag96
htxag09
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Numbers don't reflect it, but hospitals are starting to get overloaded.

My mom is currently at MD Anderson in the med center. Most treatments have been put on hold as doctors are weighing the risks of treatment vs. the side effects of weakened immune systems. My mom is an exception as they think what will happen if she stops chemo is her biggest risk. On top of that, they just announced that all treatment will now have to be done at MD Anderson Katy. They are turning their med center location into a home base of sorts for COVID-19. We aren't sure if it's just for cancer patients with it, all people and they need more beds, what.

The scariest thing for us is she still has to go to the med center location a couple times a week. She can do her normal chemo in Katy but for one of her treatments, MD Anderson med center is the only hospital in the world that does it.

She also hasn't been able to sleep because she's scared of the new no visitor rule. She pretty much told me she's terrified she gets sick, falls, whatever, then will be isolated from us and have to be completely alone.

It's a scary and crazy time. I'm not a Hidalgo or Turner fan. But these orders aren't coming from them, they're just the puppets.
BMX Bandit
htxag09 said:

It's a scary and crazy time. I'm not a Hidalgo or Turner fan. But these orders aren't coming from them, they're just the puppets.
who is pulling the strings?
lunchbox
htxag09 said:

My mom is currently at MD Anderson in the med center. Most treatments have been put on hold as doctors are weighing the risks of treatment vs. the side effects of weakened immune systems. My mom is an exception as they think what will happen if she stops chemo is her biggest risk. On top of that, they just announced that all treatment will now have to be done at MD Anderson Katy. They are turning their med center location into a home base of sorts for COVID-19. We aren't sure if it's just for cancer patients with it, all people and they need more beds, what.

The scariest thing for us is she still has to go to the med center location a couple times a week. She can do her normal chemo in Katy but for one of her treatments, MD Anderson med center is the only hospital in the world that does it.

She also hasn't been able to sleep because she's scared of the new no visitor rule. She pretty much told me she's terrified she gets sick, falls, whatever, then will be isolated from us and have to be completely alone.

Not only that but I saw tweets from a few MDA researchers saying that they were told to shutter their labs and move to in-patient help. Think of all the work and potential discoveries that are lost...
CFTXAG10
AG
Yea my mom had a surgery scheduled this week at Methodist. Not life-threatening, thank God, but needs to be done nonetheless. They canceled it. I am actually kind of glad they did.
Teddy Perkins
AG
Bondag said:

Anyone seen a copy of the actual order?
Looks like it hasn't been finalized yet.

Quote:

The text of the order was not immediately available Tuesday morning, as the county attorney's office has yet to complete its review of the document.
Zobel
AG
Wow, that's incredibly competent.
Ag_07
AG
Yeah I was just gonna say I'm actually impressed at the thought and thoroughness they're putting into this.

I fully expected them to just copy and paste an order drafted from somewhere else and search and replace the city name.

Seems like they're not jumping into this lightly and giving some thought to how they want this worded/implemented.
IrishTxAggie
AG
k2aggie07 said:

Wow, that's incredibly competent.
This is par for the course with them...
XpressAg09
AG
Bondag said:

Does the county have one ASL interpreter and the city have another one?
I'd imagine they have a number of folks. Typically, you'll see them switch out every 15 minutes or so during speeches. In all honesty, probably contract workers with other full-time jobs. Or ASL teachers. That's my hunch based on past experience (took a couple years of ASL in high school and heard the teachers talk)
XpressAg09
AG
jayelbee said:

Bondag said:

Does the county have one ASL interpreter and the city have another one?

I'm betting yes, and the switch is required because they've read the speech and practiced just like Lina/Sly.
I'm 99% sure that the interpreters have not read the speech. They're a couple words behind in every situation I've ever seen. Plus they're looking at the audience, not a teleprompter.

Interpreters are so used to 'talking' to deaf people, they just search for eye contact in the audience. Watch them look around the room next time.
Lee Van Cleef
AG
I would greatly appreciate it if someone could post the official Harris County Order if the document has been made available to the public. Thank you.
Diggity
AG
how many WPM do you sign?
Fitch
AG
They mentioned during the speeches that lawyers are still reviewing to confirm there's no contradictory issues with other declarations that have been issued to date.

Not new news for anyone here, but Harris Co. is larger than something like 25 other states...
LostInLA07
AG
Be patient. They are using science.
98Ag99Grad
AG
BMX Bandit said:

htxag09 said:

who is pulling the strings?
Doctors in the med center have urged county officials to make the order. saw report stating that this morning but can't find the article now.
Teddy Perkins
AG
Lee Van Cleef said:

I would greatly appreciate it if someone could post the official Harris County Order if the document has been made available to the public. Thank you.
The actual order has not been published yet, the Harris County Attorney's Office is still reviewing and finalizing it.
TexAg91
AG
Bondag said:

Anyone seen a copy of the actual order?
have not found it on county, city or news websites. Why would you not have it accessible when issued so people can read for themselves instead of having to rely on some newsreader to "explain" what it means?
TexAg91
AG
any why even talk about it until finalized?
Teddy Perkins
AG
TexAg91 said:

any why even talk about it until finalized?
Our law office is closing because of the order - so announcing it before it's finalized gives us a chance to get everything we need out of our offices before it goes into effect tonight. But yea, the order should have been finalized prior to the announcement this morning. No good reason to not have that done first.
XpressAg09
AG
Diggity said:

how many WPM do you sign?

So yeah, I can basically only finger-spell at this point...it was too long ago.
. . .
Quote:

Montgomery County judge says he won't issue stay-at-home orders

While county leaders around the state are issuing stay-at-home orders as COVID-19 cases climb, County Judge Mark Keough said Tuesday he will not implement similar orders for Montgomery County.

As Harris County Judge Lina Hidalgo hosted a press conference to announce a stay at home order, Keough released a statement that he would not follow her lead.

"I believe they mean well and I believe they are trying to do the right thing for their people, but the fact of the matter is they have so many exemptions in (their order) that we have already allowed for," Keough said, referencing an order he signed March 18. "To add additional orders on top of that to restrict us in more of our freedom (is) not what we are doing in Montgomery County."

In the March 18 order, all restaurants must cease all onsite dining operations but may continue to-go, takeout, delivery and catering operations. Additionally, all bars, clubs, gyms, movie theaters and amusement type businesses must cease all operations.

The order cancels any event sponsored or permitted by Montgomery County and events greater than 10 people at public facilities. Keough urged events greater than 10 people at private facilities to cease operations as well.

Retail stores, private businesses, clubs or civic organizations and religious organizations to include churches, synagogues, mosques or other places of worship are urged to comply with the CDC guidelines related to 10 persons gathering in any one place or at one time.

Retail stores who sell groceries or medical supplies are exempt from the order.

The order is in effect through April 3.
MOCO9
AG
. . . said:

Quote:

Montgomery County judge says he won't issue stay-at-home orders

While county leaders around the state are issuing stay-at-home orders as COVID-19 cases climb, County Judge Mark Keough said Tuesday he will not implement similar orders for Montgomery County.

As Harris County Judge Lina Hidalgo hosted a press conference to announce a stay at home order, Keough released a statement that he would not follow her lead.

"I believe they mean well and I believe they are trying to do the right thing for their people, but the fact of the matter is they have so many exemptions in (their order) that we have already allowed for," Keough said, referencing an order he signed March 18. "To add additional orders on top of that to restrict us in more of our freedom (is) not what we are doing in Montgomery County."

In the March 18 order, all restaurants must cease all onsite dining operations but may continue to-go, takeout, delivery and catering operations. Additionally, all bars, clubs, gyms, movie theaters and amusement type businesses must cease all operations.

The order cancels any event sponsored or permitted by Montgomery County and events greater than 10 people at public facilities. Keough urged events greater than 10 people at private facilities to cease operations as well.

Retail stores, private businesses, clubs or civic organizations and religious organizations to include churches, synagogues, mosques or other places of worship are urged to comply with the CDC guidelines related to 10 persons gathering in any one place or at one time.

Retail stores who sell groceries or medical supplies are exempt from the order.

The order is in effect through April 3.

Insert Terrell Owens "That's My Judge" gif
P.H. Dexippus
AG
Montgomery County didn't get swept by Beto's coattails. How sad for them.
"[When I was a kid,] I wanted to be a pirate. Thank God no one took me seriously and scheduled me for eye removal and peg leg surgery."- Bill Maher
combat wombat™
AG
We live in Harris Co. but my spouse works in Montgomery Co.
Al Bula
AG
Skeeters have woken up and made Off a necessity once again for driveway social distancing.

Have we had a panic about mosquitoes biting the infected and transmitting to healthy people yet?
agnerd
AG
cap-n-jack said:

Government employees and officials will continue to get paid. The rest of us will have nothing to come back to.
Government employees already vote Democrat. After this is done, everyone will be so poor that they will have to vote Democrat too.
CDUB98
AG
That's the plan.
AgLiving06
I know you'll be shocked to find out that the "covidactnow.org" website wasn't updated as it was supposed to be.

Can't believe people are making decisions based on the crap they put out.
Quincey P. Morris
AG
I saw that site shared on nextdoor and the first post was a guy talking about how it sounded like they had good sources. I found that interesting because I really couldn't find how they were coming up with these numbers. Granted, I was on my phone, but it sure seemed tailor made to scare more than inform.
i is smart
AG
Will we need a letter to keep on hand if we're deemed 'essential' employees?
Zemira
AG
Any word on Fort Bend County?

Seems business as usual until they say otherwise.. I honestly would rather be at work, but I don't want to be blind sided at people changing their minds last minute.

Edit: I finally found they are having a press conference at 4:30pm, so way to drag it out all day.
swimmerbabe11
IrishTxAggie
AG
OK. That's funny.
Jock 07
AG
lunchbox said:

htxag09 said:

Not only that but I saw tweets from a few MDA researchers saying that they were told to shutter their labs and move to in-patient help. Think of all the work and potential discoveries that are lost...

My father in law has been part of a cancer study at md Anderson since last summer, driving in once a month or so from Georgetown. My wife thinks he's headed down today for more treatment.
BMX Bandit
Ban Cow Gas said:

Will we need a letter to keep on hand if we're deemed 'essential' employees?

No
First Page Last Page
Page 50 of 599

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.