Houston
Sponsored by

Tine Coronavirus thread

2,496,000 Views | 20959 Replies | Last: 1 mo ago by Ciboag96
Hulla Baller
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
How would a shelter in place in Harris county affect the chemical plants? Can you imagine the impact if they are told to shutdown...
aggietony2010
AG
Cstrickland05 said:

Harris County expected to shelter-in-place 'very soon': Dallas County Judge says
https://www.click2houston.com/news/local/2020/03/23/harris-county-expected-to-shelter-in-place-very-soon-dallas-county-judge-says/

Press conference tomorrow morning at 9:30

So you mean to tell me that tomorrow evening I may not be legally allowed to take a walk around my neighborhood (where I have been giving wide berths to anyone I encounter) without having an essential reason. I get that I can likely continue doing so, but the fact that it is being outlawed is ****ing lunacy.
98Ag99Grad
AG
That's not what the order said. It specifically mentions out door activity is ok as long as you stay 6' apart.
Pahdz
The list of essential businesses is long and distinguished
tylercsbn9
AG
aggietony2010 said:

Cstrickland05 said:

Harris County expected to shelter-in-place 'very soon': Dallas County Judge says
https://www.click2houston.com/news/local/2020/03/23/harris-county-expected-to-shelter-in-place-very-soon-dallas-county-judge-says/

Press conference tomorrow morning at 9:30

So you mean to tell me that tomorrow evening I may not be legally allowed to take a walk around my neighborhood (where I have been giving wide berths to anyone I encounter) without having an essential reason. I get that I can likely continue doing so, but the fact that it is being outlawed is ****ing lunacy.
No. You will still be able to go outside and exercise. It won't be any different than other orders likes this. You can still get groceries. You can still get curbside. You can still go to home depot. You can still go outside.

Hell you can still do everything you were doing last week. If a cop even pulls you over in the first place for being out just say your getting groceries or gas or food. Or even going to take care of a relative. They won't do **** to you.

All this order is, is just for a politician to say see I did something. A very high % of people have already been doing this.
TXTransplant
Read the info about the Dallas County order.

https://www.khou.com/mobile/article/news/health/coronavirus/dallas-county-judge-clay-jenkins-orders-shelter-in-place-order-from-monday-until-april-3/287-ff6d4fce-c590-4b4a-8f97-d8b3e1692873

Exceptions include medical care, trips to the grocery store, outdoor exercise and other events that contribute to health or safety but allow for social distancing.

aggietony2010
AG
TXTransplant said:

https://www.khou.com/mobile/article/news/health/coronavirus/dallas-county-judge-clay-jenkins-orders-shelter-in-place-order-from-monday-until-april-3/287-ff6d4fce-c590-4b4a-8f97-d8b3e1692873

Exceptions include medical care, trips to the grocery store, outdoor exercise and other events that contribute to health or safety but allow for social distancing.

I'm stupid for not reading the entire document.

The document is stupid for it's broad definition of essential activity. I'm glad it is so broad, but it certainly includes more than essential activity.
Diggity
AG
Hope they don't ban the beach. It's been a nice way to get the kids some fresh air and social distancing has not been an issue. Most folds are 50 yards away.
bearkatag15
AG
Hey liquor stores are incredibly essential in times like these
Fightin' Texas Aggie and Sam Houston State Bearkat
ThunderCougarFalconBird
AG
Let's start a recall Hidalgo campaign STAT.
TXTransplant
aggietony2010 said:

TXTransplant said:

The document is stupid for it's broad definition of essential activity. I'm glad it is so broad, but it certainly includes more than essential activity.

You're not stupid. We are all on edge which is giving us a tendency to jump to worst-case-scenario conclusions.

If people would just stay the heck home, we wouldn't need gov't issuing these types of orders. Because all they are is a written version of what we've already been told to do!
Al Bula
AG
tylercsbn9 said:

If a cop even pulls you over in the first place for being out just say your getting groceries or gas or food. Or even going to take care of a relative. They won't do **** to you.
Good to know. I will be tippin' and sippin' and just tell the mark ass buster po-leece that i be checkin on my auntie.

aggietony2010
AG
TXTransplant said:

aggietony2010 said:

TXTransplant said:

You're not stupid. We are all on edge which is giving us a tendency to jump to worst-case-scenario conclusions.

If people would just stay the heck home, we wouldn't need gov't issuing these types of orders.

Shelter-in-place is a really terrible name for it. That conjures up images of poison gas leaks and other things that would literally make you stay inside your house except for dire reasons. It also didn't help that I listened to an interview with someone it Italy where the phrase meant just that. In order to leave your property you had to have a form prefilled out with your destination.

And we have been staying home. I've gone to the store a couple times and to a drive thru once. My wife went to the grocery store once. My dad came over to our house once, where I placed a tray of rolls on his passenger seat.

It really should be called mandatory social distancing.
Pahdz
Amen....the words lockdown and all that need to stop
TXTransplant
Hulla Baller said:

How would a shelter in place in Harris county affect the chemical plants? Can you imagine the impact if they are told to shutdown...

It won't. Where do you think manufacturers are going to get plastic and other materials to make PPE? And where do you think freight companies are going to get fuel to deliver all of those medical supplies?

Besides, even when shut down, these plants need a crew on-site. You don't just turn them of and walk away.

The majors all probably have plans in place already, whether it is trailers on-site so key personnel (ie, operators) don't ever have to leave or changed to rotation shifts to minimize turnover (ie, 14 on/14 off).

The last thing any major wants is an outbreak in a control room that takes out an operations crew.
CowtownAg06
AG
TXTransplant said:

aggietony2010 said:

TXTransplant said:

If people would just stay the heck home, we wouldn't need gov't issuing these types of orders. Because all they are is a written version of what we've already been told to do!

This is what drives me crazy. Most people here are doing this. We just went to Social Distancing last week. We sure it's not working?
TXTransplant
aggietony2010 said:

TXTransplant said:

aggietony2010 said:

TXTransplant said:

If people would just stay the heck home, we wouldn't need gov't issuing these types of orders.

Shelter-in-place is a really terrible name for it. That conjures up images of poison gas leaks and other things that would literally make you stay inside your house except for fire reasons. It also didn't help that I listened to an interview with someone it Italy where the phrase meant just that. In order to leave your property you had to have a form prefilled out with your destination.

And we have been staying home. I've gone to the store a couple times and to a drive thru once. My wife went to the grocery store once. My dad came over to our house once, where I placed a tray of rolls on his passenger seat.

I agree. I've also only been to the store once since the SHTF. Maybe they think calling it shelter in place will scare people into staying home?

And I didn't mean to imply that you haven't been staying home. I just know plenty of people have not been.
TXTransplant
CowtownAg06 said:

TXTransplant said:

aggietony2010 said:

TXTransplant said:

This is what drives me crazy. Most people here are doing this. We just went to Social Distancing last week. We sure it's not working?

I think the point is to not find out that social distancing isn't working because then it's too late.

Problem is, I'm doubt these orders will change the behavior of those who simply don't want to comply.
tylercsbn9
AG
aggietony2010 said:

TXTransplant said:

aggietony2010 said:

TXTransplant said:

Shelter-in-place is a really terrible name for it. That conjures up images of poison gas leaks and other things that would literally make you stay inside your house except for dire reasons. It also didn't help that I listened to an interview with someone it Italy where the phrase meant just that. In order to leave your property you had to have a form prefilled out with your destination.

Exactly. The name for it is terrible. All it will do is create panic for people that half ass pay attention.Turner needs to make is extremely clear what will still be open.
Liquid Wrench
I've been to the grocery once, along with Wallgreens and a couple beer runs. Most people I've seen don't seem concerned at all with distancing, especially not at checkout.
Stat Monitor Repairman
Haven't been out. So people are more concerned with someone cutting in line rather than maintaining social distancing?

Dr. Doctor
AG
My work requires me to come in even though we're consultants.

I've been the person to go out in our household.

Going out, the people I see don't follow any of the suggestions. At the grocery store I see groups of old people talking and hugging each other in line. With signs saying to distance.

The target group we're trying to keep safe.

Then talking about how this is a big overblown issue and everything is fine.

And this isn't a single one time event. Of the 4 times I've gone to the store, I've seen at least one set of these geriatrics.

I also think the order is for my companies like mine to finally force WFH that don't really need to have people come in.

Since about 3/4 of my company is 60+, overweight and have massive health issues.

~egon
Serotonin
AG
Agree with Dr Doctor and BBF. A significant number of people out there are acting like it's no big deal, which is why you escalate things. Because none of this is going to work and the economic damage will be in vain if a lot of people continue to do their normal thing.
aTm2004
AG
I've gone out a few times to make grocery runs for perishables that we ran out of. Outside of bike rides on the greenbelts, my wife and kids haven't left our street in over a week, so yesterday, we just all loaded up in the car and drove around for about an hour. Didn't make any stops, but just got out of the house for some sanity.
AgLiving06
I posted this on the Politics thread but thought it fit here too.

Dallas County lied at their press conference and doctored the data from the website. While I disagree with the data itself on the website, what Dallas County did amounts to criminal.

The 4 categories listed on the website are these, not what was presented:

1. No action

2. Three months of social distancing

3. Three months of shelter in place

4. Three months of Wuhan style Lockdown.

The category Dallas County "changed" to Texas style has these assumptions:

Quote:

• Delay/Distancing
    • Goal: Delay the overloading of the healthcares system to minimize unnecessary deaths, while minimizing damage to the economy
    • Duration: 3 months (12 weeks)
    • Measures: Voluntary "shelter-in-place" for high-risk groups, ban on events over 50 people, public advocacy around "social distancing" and enhanced hygiene, possible school closures, restricted travel, and passive monitoring. Roll-out of population-wide testing and quarantine, so that quarantines can be relaxed for those who are not infected.
    • After-effects: Measures likely to be extended for 12-18 months in order to fully #flattenthecurve
R0 assumptions: 1.7 for 3 months. Based on rough extrapolation of reducing 50% of overall transmission opportunities in society, thus cutting a worst-cases R0 of ~3.2 to roughly 1.7.

That's clearly not the "Texas style" that the Dallas County talked about.

The category Dallas County "changed" to California style has these assumptions:

Quote:

• "Shelter-in-place" Containment/Delay
    • Goal: Ideally fully contain disease until vaccine is developed, or at least delay spread until healthcare capacity can be built and therapeutic becomes available
    • Duration: 3 months (12 weeks)
    • Measures: Voluntary/VolunTold "shelter-in-place" community-wide home quarantine (especially firm for high-risk groups), shutdown of non-essential businesses, close schools, ban on events over 10 people, passive monitoring, public advocacy around social distancing and enhanced hygiene. Possibly closed borders or restricted travel. Public aid relief bill. Roll-out of free population-wide testing and quarantine, so that quarantines can be relaxed for those who are not infected.
    • After-effects: If contained, long-term implementation of border quarantines (14 days), active monitoring, and potential for repeat of measures above to ensure containment. If not contained, measures likely to be extended for 12-18 months in order to fully #flattenthecurve, with testing making quarantines more targeted.
    • R0 assumptions: 1.3 for 4 weeks, 1.1 for 4 weeks, 0.8 for 4 weeks. Based on conjecture and extrapolation from Wuhan data above to a less ideal/strict containment scenario.

This is what they say California is doing that we aren't.

Summary: This is complete crap.

The majority of the "Shelter in place" options involve the Federal Government and have already been implemented (i.e. close borders and restrict travel, Public aid relief, free population testing).

So Dallas County. You were just lied to.

RK
AG
Diggity said:

Hope they don't ban the beach. It's been a nice way to get the kids some fresh air and social distancing has not been an issue. Most folds are 50 yards away.

We were at pointe west this weekend. Beaches were all open. But Friday we went to the beach next door so we could drive in. Cops came by later that day and said they were closing a bunch of beaches to vehicle traffic but you could still walk on. We'll see if that changes.
Diggity
AG
Yeah, I saw they had put some roadblocks up around there.
htxag09
AG
Don't know about beaches, they have a lot more space to be able to spread out. But I will be shocked if the city doesn't start to close parks and trails in Houston this week. People completely suck at self regulating this, heights hike and bike trail, memorial park, white oak, buffalo bayou, etc. have been jam packed. I use them regularly for cycling and running and they are easily a couple hundred times busier than normal. I've just been running around River Oaks to get away from the crowds.

Its not that damn hard, if you get to these trails and realize you can't spread your arms in a circle and spin around without hitting someone, go somewhere else. Do a better job of being smart and regulating yourself so the city doesn't step in and mandate what you do.
Ciboag96
I can't wait until our mayor and seasoned county judge claim in their next political ad campaign that their actions single handedly saved millions of lives while Trump ordered everyone in the nation to go lick door handles and toilet seats.
Ferris Wheel Allstar
AG
Ciboag96 said:

I can't wait until our mayor and seasoned county judge claim in their next political ad campaign that their actions single handedly saved millions of lives while Trump ordered everyone in the nation to go lick door handles and toilet seats.
They clearly misunderstood Trump calling them window lickers
IrishTxAggie
AG
Hidalgo said to be announcing shelter in place for Harris at the 9:30 presser
HtownAg92
AG
TXTransplant said:

Hulla Baller said:

It won't. Where do you think manufacturers are going to get plastic and other materials to make PPE? And where do you think freight companies are going to get fuel to deliver all of those medical supplies?

Besides, even when shut down, these plants need a crew on-site. You don't just turn them of and walk away.

The majors all probably have plans in place already, whether it is trailers on-site so key personnel (ie, operators) don't ever have to leave or changed to rotation shifts to minimize turnover (ie, 14 on/14 off).

The last thing any major wants is an outbreak in a control room that takes out an operations crew.
I've had to keep up with all of the "shelter-in-place" orders across the country, and businesses like chemical plants, steel manufacturing, energy, and anything to do with infrastructure and materials like plastics have been specifically named "essential businesses" that keep running.
CFTXAG10
AG
HtownAg92 said:

TXTransplant said:

Hulla Baller said:

I've had to keep up with all of the "shelter-in-place" orders across the country, and businesses like chemical plants, steel manufacturing, energy, and anything to do with infrastructure and materials like plastics have been specifically named "essential businesses" that keep running.
And a lot of these plants are already working with "skeleton crews." FIL works at a plant off 225 and said many of the contract laborers are gone and they have scaled back the # of employees allowed in. Taking temps at the door when you walk in. They have been told to keep identification and given paper in their car that would allow them to travel to work and back as an "essential" employee.

Marvin_Zindler
AG
Lina Hildago can **** right off.
Velvet Jones
AG
Pahdz said:

The list of essential businesses is long and distinguished
First Page Last Page
Page 44 of 599

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.