Houston
Sponsored by

Tine Coronavirus thread

2,497,003 Views | 20959 Replies | Last: 1 mo ago by Ciboag96
jja79
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Went to Super Mercado on Veterans. Toilet paper everywhere, lots of produce and the meat and fish counters were fantastic.
David_Puddy
AG
We about to go in statewide lockdown?
bearkatag15
AG
Louisiana just did. I imagine we would follow
Fightin' Texas Aggie and Sam Houston State Bearkat
gougler08
AG
David_Puddy said:

Will it really change much for Houston? Might as well just do our 2 weeks now and then try to have some normalcy start in April
Head Ninja In Charge
AG
gougler08 said:

David_Puddy said:

Will it really change much for Houston? Might as well just do our 2 weeks now and then try to have some normalcy start in April
Exactly. Been trying to talk certain "heavy-FB-user" family members and friends off the ledge. The terms "shutdown/lockdown/shelter in place/curfew" seem to be what are freaking people out. We've basically been doing this for 10 days now.
Jock 07
AG
gougler08 said:

David_Puddy said:

Probably not, we've been in "lockdown" here in ca for a few days now but folks are still going to the beach, going out for exercise. It's mainly just that everything indoors is shutdown
gougler08
AG
Jock 07 said:

gougler08 said:

David_Puddy said:

Probably not, we've been in "lockdown" here in ca for a few days now but folks are still going to the beach, going out for exercise. It's mainly just that everything indoors is shutdown

Yeah, it's also a pretty long list of essential businesses that stay open. Basically just naming what we've already been doing for a week +. I'm just hopeful that when it's announced officially we have an end date so that people can focus on getting back to real life where we can
Diggity
AG
It would be silly to give an end date
David_Puddy
AG
Abbott leaving it up to local officials in all counties to implement their own rules. Sure as hell wouldn't be surprised to see Turner put it in
gougler08
AG
David_Puddy said:

Abbott leaving it up to local officials in all counties to implement their own rules. Sure as hell wouldn't be surprised to see Turner put it in

He called a press conference for that?
CowtownAg06
AG
Turner has been adamant he's not doing it right now. Could down the road but he really doesn't want to.
CowtownAg06
AG
Main thing was loosening rega for nurses to practice/hospitals to expand capacity. He said some hospitals could expand beds by 50%.
David_Puddy
AG
gougler08 said:

David_Puddy said:

He called a press conference for that?

Among other things....beds,testing, etc
AgLiving06
Diggity said:

It would be silly to give an end date

Nobody's gonna follow it though unless there's an end date.

We can't just keep doing this for perpetuity because "maybe" it helps.
Diggity
AG
They'll give some "hopeful" dates but it's useless to speculate when this thing will sort itself out. You just subject yourself to the ire of voters when you miss the date.
Cromagnum
AG
David_Puddy said:

Meanwhile, Turner and Hidalgo be all like.
agdaddy04
AG
Did you not watch it? There was more discussed. Does every press conference have to come with major restrictions?
swimmerbabe11
https://texags.com/forums/16/topics/3090341/551

I paraphrased the whole thing on this thread. Took me three posts.

Mostly it was to release executive orders regarding increasing hospital beds, remind you that he's not locking down the whole state, announce some peeps that he is tasking with procurement of supplies, etc.
gougler08
AG
swimmerbabe11 said:

https://texags.com/forums/16/topics/3090341/551

I paraphrased the whole thing on this thread. Took me three posts.

Mostly it was to release executive orders regarding increasing hospital beds, remind you that he's not locking down the whole state, announce some peeps that he is tasking with procurement of supplies, etc.

Thanks!
AgLiving06
Diggity said:

They'll give some "hopeful" dates but it's useless to speculate when this thing will sort itself out. You just subject yourself to the ire of voters when you miss the date.

But likewise, they are going to be subject to the ire of the voter if a large amount of people lose their jobs, which is almost certainly going to happen.

But that's why they are elected. To make the tough decisions, and if they refuse to, no matter how good they are, they should not be elected again.

Abbott has been talked about as a future Presidential candidate, but he could blow it right here.
AgLiving06
Cromagnum said:

David_Puddy said:

Meanwhile, Turner and Hidalgo be all like.

I think they were certainly counting on Abbott shutting things down and bailing them out. That backfired pretty badly.
Diggity
AG
Nobody has a reasonable idea about when this crap will settle. It's not about making tough decisions, it's about being realistic.
Al Bula
AG
AgLiving06 said:

Abbott has been talked about as a future Presidential candidate, but he could blow it right here.

agz win
AG
Turner said he won't shut down city thru end of Monday.

bearkatag15
AG
Dallas shut it down

Fightin' Texas Aggie and Sam Houston State Bearkat
BohunkAg
AG
The data the Dallas County judge cites was from this group. Not a government agency. Who are these guys?

https://covidactnow.org/about
AgLiving06
Their data is crazy.

They are claiming the following with 3 months of social distancing

Florida: 320,000
California: 597,000
Texas: 430,000
NY: 292,000

So in just these 4 states they are saying: 1,639,000 people would die with social distancing.

Add in the rest of the states and it's going to be in the 2-3 million range.

That seems like a wildly outdated stats.
BohunkAg
AG
Right. These guys are a bunch of Silicon Valley guys and one Dem congressman from Alaska. A strange group of guys to be fueling all of this.
AgLiving06
AgLiving06 said:

Their data is crazy.

So in just these 4 states they are saying: 1,639,000 people would die with social distancing.

I dug further b/c this didn't make sense and I now really don't think it makes sense.

I think they are doing the following using Texas as an example:

Total Population: 29.5 million
Predicted Deaths: 430,000
Death rate: ~1.5%

Since we can assume a significant amount of people are asymptomatic, this math doesn't work. Or they are assuming a much higher death rate.

dragmagpuff
AG
AgLiving06 said:

AgLiving06 said:

Their data is crazy.

I dug further b/c this didn't make sense and I now really don't think it makes sense.

Since we can assume a significant amount of people are asymptomatic, this math doesn't work. Or they are assuming a much higher death rate.

I've seen multiple models that increase the assumed death rate significantly when hospitals get overwhelmed. I dont know if the 1.5% is that or if it's their base case.
tylercsbn9
AG
AgLiving06 said:

Their data is crazy.

It is also within like three weeks.

Asinine.

We're what 10K or so 3 months into this thing across the globe. And Texas will have almost 600K in mid April.

Ok.

AgLiving06
dragmagpuff said:

AgLiving06 said:

AgLiving06 said:

Their data is crazy.

I've seen multiple models that increase the assumed death rate significantly when hospitals get overwhelmed. I dont know if the 1.5% is that or if it's their base case.

That's fair.

But if I look at Italy, which has a comparable population size to Texas (though worse in most everything else).

They are at ~5,500 deaths.

If we assume they should see the same death numbers as this model predicts for Texas, they've only lost 1.2% of the total amount they are expected to lose.

Based on the amount of deaths that they had today (651 per world meter), at that rate (all things unchanged which is unreasonable). they either need a significant ramp up or it's going to take ~2 more years of this for them to get to 430,000.

That seems crazy.
Jock 07
AG
And Texas with a much higher rate than NY while NY is the epicenter right now, not to mention with a much higher population density of people living on top of each other.
TXAG 05
AG
Harris County expected to shelter-in-place 'very soon': Dallas County Judge says
https://www.click2houston.com/news/local/2020/03/23/harris-county-expected-to-shelter-in-place-very-soon-dallas-county-judge-says/

Press conference tomorrow morning at 9:30
CowtownAg06
AG
I think the numbers are not deaths but hospitalizations. That said they still seem insane. Now I miss Ed Emmett.
First Page Last Page
Page 43 of 599

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.