Houston
Sponsored by

Tine Coronavirus thread

2,475,458 Views | 20959 Replies | Last: 1 mo ago by Ciboag96
Ag_07
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
So they can't even keep up with their bullchlt.

We had the dreaded '2nd wave' way back when. This would be the apocalyptic 3rd wave.
CW Griswold
I don't think they even know what wave it is. End of the first? Middle of the second? Is the top of the order coming back around in the third?

-
chimpanzee
If city officials think we are on the verge of another surge, well, I guess we ought to ruin our lives since it worked so well in every single place it has been attempted.
Silky Johnston
From Dr. McDeavitt. World renowned PM&R doctor, which stands for Physical Medicine and Rehabilitation.
ThunderCougarFalconBird
AG
I am honestly shocked we haven't seen massive civil
Rights lawsuits over this. The purported same class of kids that lawsuits regarding race, immigration status, and other comparable situations are being tossed to the bin in the name of junk science and partisan politics. It's really sad. I think the Maltese number I've heard is that HISD has completely lost contact with north of 10,000 "at risk" kids. And for what? Worst case, Greg Abbott should have stepped in and stomped on this nonsense. Local leaders like Sly and Dora are also on the hook. They'd better never tell me they stand for the "little guy" ever again.
kapon
AG
They want these kids to be dependent on government.
To feel helpless and always feel like they need to be taken care of by government.
TXTransplant
Hadn't looked at the data in a while, but here are the stats from 2/1 to 10/10. Number in () is deaths from all causes

Deaths involving COVID-19
< 1 year: 22 (12,405)
1-4 years: 15 (2,351)
5-14 years: 37 (3,690)
15-24 years: 374 (23,838)
25-34 years: 1,588 (48,782)

Deaths involving pneumonia, with or without C-19, excluding influenza
< 1 year: 114
1-4 years: 77
5-14 years: 107
15-24 years: 482
25-34 years: 1,759

Deaths involving C-19 and pneumonia, excluding influenza
< 1 year: 3
1-4 years: 2
5-14 years: 7
15-24 years: 134
25-34 years: 709

All deaths involving influenza, with or without C-19 or pneumonia
< 1 year: 16
1-4 years: 42
5-14 years: 53
15-24 years: 55
25-34 years: 151

Deaths involving pneumonia, influenza, or C-19
< 1 year: 149
1-4 years: 132
5-14 years: 190
15-24 years: 773
25-34 years: 2,775

Source data (includes numbers for older age brackets):

https://www.cdc.gov/nchs/nvss/vsrr/covid_weekly/index.htm#AgeAndSex

Of the 203,043 C-19 deaths reported by the CDC, 160,080 of them (79%) have been age 65 or older.

If you add in the 55-64 year age group, that accounts for 92% of deaths.
gougler08
AG
But the teachers, think of the teachers!
TXTransplant
I edited my post. IDK how many active teachers are age 65+, but it seems like it should be pretty easy to keep them out of the classroom.

I suspect there are significantly more teachers in the 55-64 age group, and who knows how many have "pre-existing conditions" over the entire range of ages.

I'm realizing, though, anyone who doesn't want to go back to work (for whatever reason) can probably get a "pre-existing condition" waiver from their doctor for something.
gougler08
AG
TXTransplant said:

I edited my post. IDK how many active teachers are age 65+, but it seems like it should be pretty easy to keep them out of the classroom.

I suspect there are significantly more teachers in the 55-64 age group, and who knows how many have "pre-existing conditions" over the entire range of ages.

I'm realizing, though, anyone who doesn't want to go back to work (for whatever reason) can probably get a "pre-existing condition" waiver from their doctor for something.
Oh no doubt, I was being more facetious than anything as it's increasingly clear that if you are somewhat in shape and not 75+, you're going to be ok in almost all cases
TXTransplant
Yeah, I knew you were being facetious. I just wanted to add the extra data.

I'm not sure why, since the people reading this thread are not the ones who need to see the data. It's more of an outlet for my frustration, I guess.
WES2006AG
AG
TXTransplant said:

What does this mean? I am firmly in the pre-existing condition category and in my district I have 1 choice. Show up in person and teach. That or don't get paid. A doctors note wouldn't have anything to do with it.
chimpanzee
third coast.. said:

The TC Jester said:

Seersucker Ag 2011 said:

The TC Jester said:

Open it all up and let people get it if they want. If you are at-risk, mask up, wear a face shield and gloves...or just hunker down. But don't ask us to keep suffocating businesses and our economy and making countless lives miserable. This is f-ing ridiculous.

OF COURSE cases are going to rise as we open things up. They need to.

You're acting like it's new that a majority of people have to change everything and sacrifice their own rights to make a small minority of people feel better.
I hear you, but the degree of societal sacrifice is unprecedented in modern times. Countless jobs lost and livelihoods destroyed. Significant spike in anxiety/depression/suicide/addiction. So many businesses closed for good. The fallout could last for years. This is f*cked.
I have posted about it here relentlessly, but there are so many people in the school aged generation that are going to be hampered FOR LIFE by this, and most of those are the types of people that the left is always screaming about caring about. You keep someone already on the edge of society and learning out to pasture for an entire year+, they arent coming back, ever. The hill is insurmountable. It is so sad that there are going to be so many young lives destroyed forever because orange man bad. Seriously. It really bums me out.

I wish i had access to the article i have posted a number of times that i stole from someone else posting it, but teachers basically admitted that they stopped wanting to teach when Trump and Devos started pushing for schools to open. It also talks about how much damage it is doing to those already haivng issues with school and those who have rfamilies that dont care like yours or mine may.

This is simply going to cause people that may have been able to pull themselves out of the welfare class to be stuck there forever. I am about as right as they get, but i actually DO care about these kids who are getting their shot at life and a good education ripped out from under them. It is so sad and upsetting and unfair.
Right there with you. I'm not sure why the political left is given a pass like they have the franchise on compassion. In the spectrum of outcomes, the more power they have, the more misery people have to live through.

Just run the phrase "inner city school" past a web search and see what the data says about the efficacy of anything these people have done.

TXTransplant
WES2006AG said:

TXTransplant said:

What does this mean? I am firmly in the pre-existing condition category and in my district I have 1 choice. Show up in person and teach. That or don't get paid. A doctors note wouldn't have anything to do with it.

The comment wasn't specifically aimed at teachers. Just a general realization that there will be some people who don't go back to work (and are accommodated accordingly, when possible) based on a doctor's recommendation.

Out of curiosity for your specific case - what is the alternative if you choose to not teach in person? Are you out on in-paid leave, or is your employment terminated?

I have wondered over the past few months if districts can terminate teachers who can't teach in person. Seems like a pre-existing condition would qualify you for protection under the ADA and you could take FMLA and/or disability leave.

Edit: reread your post and you said it's teach or don't get paid. Wouldn't this be the situation if you couldn't go to work for a medical reason that is not related to COVID?
Silky Johnston
TXTransplant said:

Edit: reread your post and you said it's teach or don't get paid. Wouldn't this be the situation if you couldn't go to work for a medical reason that is not related to COVID?

Yes, if you have a medical condition and are too sick to work or are getting treatment you are protected by FMLA. But these people don't have COVID, they just have an irrational fear that they are going to get it. You don't get FMLA because you THINK you are going to get cancer.
WES2006AG
AG
TXTransplant said:

WES2006AG said:

TXTransplant said:

The comment wasn't specifically aimed at teachers. Just a general realization that there will be some people who don't go back to work (and are accommodated accordingly, when possible) based on a doctor's recommendation.

Out of curiosity for your specific case - what is the alternative if you choose to not teach in person? Are you out on in-paid leave, or is your employment terminated?

I have wondered over the past few months if districts can terminate teachers who can't teach in person. Seems like a pre-existing condition would qualify you for protection under the ADA and you could take FMLA and/or disability leave.

I don't know what would happen if lawsuits were filed and this went to court but it is my understanding that if I were unwilling to come to campus because of a fear of COVID due to having a pre-existing condition that I would burn through my sick days and vacation and then stop receiving a paycheck.

We have had teachers who were told that was their option and they chose to resign as a result. I am not saying that we should pay teachers who are unwilling to teach but at least in my experience there is no alternative to being in-person on a daily basis.
TXTransplant
I hear you, and I definitely understand the conundrum.

But you're faced with the same choice as millions of other people who have a job that can't be done WFH. If you have a health/medical reason that you (or your doctor) thinks will prevent you from working safely, then you burn through vacation (maybe paid leave, if your employer offers it) and then take unpaid leave. This was the case pre-Covid, and will be the case if and when Covid ceases to be an issue.

Women make this choice all the time when they get pregnant and/or take maternity leave. Protect your health/the health of your baby, or go to work.

Now that I think about it, in any given year, I bet schools "lose" more teachers to maternity leave than they would to Covid leave.

But keeping schools closed to protect at-risk teachers isn't the answer. We aren't shutting down refineries and chemical plants because the operators might get Covid.
TXTransplant
Silky Johnston said:

TXTransplant said:

Yes, if you have a medical condition and are too sick to work or are getting treatment you are protected by FMLA. But these people don't have COVID, they just have an irrational fear that they are going to get it. You don't get FMLA because you THINK you are going to get cancer.

No, but you can get FMLA if you are immunocompromised. And I think you can get FMLA for mental health problems. I can think of plenty of situations where a doctor could come up with a medical diagnosis that actually covers "fear of Covid".
Poot
WES2006AG said:

TXTransplant said:

WES2006AG said:

TXTransplant said:

I don't know what would happen if lawsuits were filed and this went to court but it is my understanding that if I were unwilling to come to campus because of a fear of COVID due to having a pre-existing condition that I would burn through my sick days and vacation and then stop receiving a paycheck.

We have had teachers who were told that was their option and they chose to resign as a result. I am not saying that we should pay teachers who are unwilling to teach but at least in my experience there is no alternative to being in-person on a daily basis.

You obviously don't teach in Humble. Doctors notice as to conditions is acceptable in that district. You teach in a crappy district
Cromagnum
AG
Dora was on the news talking about how she voted for Biden and Harris because we need someone that doesn't play games with the virus. How hypocritical can one be?
jetch17
kapon
AG
Makes me want to vomit!
Bondag
AG
She voted Biden Harris because she knows she is a one term county judge and needs to line up her next government job.
Jock 07
AG
Cromagnum said:

Dora was on the news talking about how she voted for Biden and Harris because we need someone that doesn't play games with the virus. How hypocritical can one be?

Honestly probably the best Harris county endorsement Trump could hope for
gougler08
AG
Why is a democrat county judge voting for a democrat presidential nominee news? No ****
Noble07
AG
Is it normal for the county judge to get so involved in national politics? Obviously Ed Emmett was a Republican, but I thought at the local level politicians tried to stay a bit more non-partisan.
Diggity
AG
Seems like Emmett was at the tail end of his political career, whereas Lina has to be getting groomed for a congressional run.
cone
AG
sometimes you reap the benefit of hyper competent politicians/bureaucrats that decide to remain in positions where they remain hyper competent

we aren't there anymore
Cromagnum
AG
gougler08 said:

Why is a democrat county judge voting for a democrat presidential nominee news? No ****

It wouldn't normally be news at all, but she just had to run her mouth about the covid response some more.
Post removed:
by user
kubiak03
AG
Dems have big plans for Dora
cone
AG
she's got zero charisma

tap those breaks
Fitch
AG
Best to wait until the tre-cenera to gauge what develops.
ThunderCougarFalconBird
AG
cone said:

she's got zero charisma

tap those breaks
cant motorboat charisma
First Page Last Page
Page 292 of 599

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.