Houston
Sponsored by

Tine Coronavirus thread

2,500,250 Views | 20959 Replies | Last: 2 mo ago by Ciboag96
TXTransplant
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Fitch said:

CowtownAg06 said:

I get the point you're trying to make. People shouldn't get too riled up about Sly's moving target b/c it has little authority. However, that is really missing the point. There are plenty of schools, churches, businesses, and individuals who are looking for guidance and don't follow/understand this stuff well. The listen to local leaders rhetoric is strong.

I just want want our leaders to tell the truth and lead. This goes to all reaches of government and ideological tribes.
Well said, and I would hope we can all agree with your last two points.

At the very least, we should have been able to trust the information and data coming from the Houston Health Department and the Harris County Public Health Department.

Politicians are partisan; public health departments and their staff should not be. But I've felt for months that Turner and Hildalgo are influencing the tone of the message coming out of both organizations. Not to mention, the data both agencies report has been suspect, at best. Those two agencies have proven themselves absolutely worthless when it comes to guiding the public through this crisis.

Then you have the Med Center data that everyone in authority is conveniently ignoring, at least as long as the trends have been moving away from threat level Everybody Panic.
chimpanzee
TXTransplant said:

Fitch said:

CowtownAg06 said:

I get the point you're trying to make. People shouldn't get too riled up about Sly's moving target b/c it has little authority. However, that is really missing the point. There are plenty of schools, churches, businesses, and individuals who are looking for guidance and don't follow/understand this stuff well. The listen to local leaders rhetoric is strong.

I just want want our leaders to tell the truth and lead. This goes to all reaches of government and ideological tribes.

At the very least, we should have been able to trust the information and data coming from the Houston Health Department and the Harris County Public Health Departments.

Politicians are partisan; public health departments and their staff should not be. But I've felt for months that Turner and Hildalgo are influencing the tone of the message coming out of both organizations. Not to mention, the data both agencies report has been suspect, at best.

Then you have the Med Center data that everyone in authority is conveniently ignoring, at least as long as the trends have been moving away from threat level Everybody Panic.

And still many questions about the med center data that no one will ask or answer like proportions of admits "with" instead of "for", levels of PCR test amplification, etc. .

It took a few actual smart and semi-anonymous data analysts on twitter hammering at media long enough to get a Bloomberg article published before CoH/Harris County stopped reporting obviously misleading information.

I can not understand any level of trust in a politician of any stripe at this point. Public health departments still answer to politicians and are going to be as self interested as everyone else on the planet. What good does it do you personally to throw yourself in front of someone with no obvious talent or intellect that nevertheless managed to become mayor of the third largest city in the US?
chimpanzee
Fitch said:

Permit office has, surprisingly, been open through all of this. My point was it is City-owned property.

Fair enough, and my point was more general but consistent, that is, if you close the permit office, you close the reason anyone has to seek power in the city at all.
TXTransplant
chimpanzee said:

TXTransplant said:

Fitch said:

CowtownAg06 said:

At the very least, we should have been able to trust the information and data coming from the Houston Health Department and the Harris County Public Health Departments.

Politicians are partisan; public health departments and their staff should not be. But I've felt for months that Turner and Hildalgo are influencing the tone of the message coming out of both organizations. Not to mention, the data both agencies report has been suspect, at best.

And still many questions about the med center data that no one will ask or answer like proportions of admits "with" instead of "for", levels of PCR test amplification, etc. .

It took a few actual smart and semi-anonymous data analysts on twitter hammering at media long enough to get a Bloomberg article published before CoH/Harris County stopped reporting obviously misleading information.

I can not understand any level of trust in a politician of any stripe at this point. Public health departments still answer to politicians and are going to be as self interested as everyone else on the planet. What good does it do you personally to throw yourself in front of someone with no obvious talent or intellect that nevertheless managed to become mayor of the third largest city in the US?

Oh, I don't know...professional integrity, maybe? But your point is correct considering no one with any power or authority seems to have an ounce of that anymore.

It's just frustrating when people who are supposed to be "experts" in their field start supporting political ideology instead of science and data.
chimpanzee
TXTransplant said:

chimpanzee said:

TXTransplant said:

Fitch said:

CowtownAg06 said:

Oh, I don't know...professional integrity, maybe? But your point is correct considering no one with any power or authority seems to have been an ounce of that anymore.

It's just frustrating when people who are supposed to be "experts" in their field start supporting political ideology instead of science and data.

When the "experts" change their minds from what they recommended prior to the politically expedient solution being apparent and then dedicate their communications to panic anecdotes and personally attacking those that ask actual scientific questions, I don't think there's much integrity in the field to depend upon.
FHKChE07
AG
Many businesses are continuing to work from home based on the guidance from the city/county, and I assume some of this is to limit liability. I don't know how much longer they will hold out like that but I think at least through the end of the year.
Seersucker Ag 2011
AG
Fort Bend bars are open. See you ITL folks out here in the burbs soon.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.click2houston.com/news/local/2020/10/13/judge-expected-to-make-announcement-on-bars-in-fort-bend-county/%3FoutputType%3Damp
BMX Bandit
Because bars are "closed" in Harris county
Betoisafurry
****in morons from the city came out and put tape back up at our neighborhood park. What a joke
Jugstore Cowboy
AG

Quote:

Politicians are partisan; public health departments and their staff should not be.
They have to answer to the people who appoint them and set their budgets. And no matter how independent they wish to be, they usually don't oppose new priorities that raise their own profiles either.
Jugstore Cowboy
AG
Seersucker Ag 2011 said:

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.click2houston.com/news/local/2020/10/13/judge-expected-to-make-announcement-on-bars-in-fort-bend-county/%3FoutputType%3Damp
Good. Made me feel sad last week driving past the Stafford Ice House and not seeing a single old man stumbling in the parking lot in daylight.
TefIon Don
AG
Charlie Kelley said:

****in morons from the city came out and put tape back up at our neighborhood park. What a joke

Just tear that **** down.
Caliber
AG
Teflon Don. said:

Charlie Kelley said:

Just tear that **** down.

Saw tape up at a park when picking me kids up today too. We've been playing there in Friday afternoons all the time... Now freaking tape
Post removed:
by user
jetch17
AG
Lina was busy holding court hosting the Jill Biden appearance in Houston tonight
cone
AG
which park by the way?
Seersucker Ag 2011
AG
Harry Lime said:

Seersucker Ag 2011 said:

Good. Made me feel sad last week driving past the Stafford Ice House and not seeing a single old man stumbling in the parking lot in daylight.

Tell me more about Stafford Ice House. I usually stick to hanging with the drunk geezers at Pennison's and Bullpen. I figured that my gringo ass wouldn't fit in at Stafford Ice House.
Jugstore Cowboy
AG
The Bullpen is a bunch of yuppy snobs compared to the Stafford Ice House.

I've only gone in a few times; mostly older folks. Old white people and old hispanic people. Not what I would call "rough," just old and bare bones. Mostly nice people in my experience. If you want domestic beer in bottles and cans while you shoot pool or watch Tv, they have exactly what you're looking for!

Haven't thought about the bullpen in a long time. There used to be a couple waitresses there that I was fond of several years ago when I had a work project in the area.
Caliber
AG
cone said:

which park by the way?

I saw the tape at Bendwood park on Kimberly just off beltway. City of houston park.
NASAg03
Saints are seriously considering playing in Baton Rouge to make money since New Orleans is blocking fans.

About word on Texans playing outside the city, i.e. Kyke Field?

Would be awesome to see more businesses give Democrats mayors the finger.
Mike Shaw - Class of '03
htxag09
AG
NASAg03 said:

Saints are seriously considering playing in Baton Rouge to make money since New Orleans is blocking fans.

Would be awesome to see more businesses give Democrats mayors the finger.

Uh, fans are allowed at nrg
RK
AG
But football is, apparently, not.
Seersucker Ag 2011
AG
NASAg03 said:

jetch17
Silky Johnston
How many? Looked like there were 5 people there
swimmerbabe11
I just got a negative test. my coworker tested positive though...should be interesting to see how we manage it
aTm2004
AG
Our 2 year old started running a fever yesterday so we took him to the pediatrician today. Tested positive for strep, but they want him to get a COVID test as well. Why? They swabbed and know what the issue is and can see his throat, but hey...
aTm2004
AG
swimmerbabe11 said:

I just got a negative test. my coworker tested positive though...should be interesting to see how we manage it

Have to put the "happy hours" on hold for a week or so.
The TC Jester
Open it all up and let people get it if they want. If you are at-risk, mask up, wear a face shield and gloves...or just hunker down. But don't ask us to keep suffocating businesses and our economy and making countless lives miserable. This is f-ing ridiculous.

OF COURSE cases are going to rise as we open things up. They need to.
Seersucker Ag 2011
AG
The TC Jester said:

Open it all up and let people get it if they want. If you are at-risk, mask up, wear a face shield and gloves...or just hunker down. But don't ask us to keep suffocating businesses and our economy and making countless lives miserable. This is f-ing ridiculous.

OF COURSE cases are going to rise as we open things up. They need to.

You're acting like it's new that a majority of people have to change everything and sacrifice their own rights to make a small minority of people feel better.
Ciboag96
I volunteer to go lick a handrail or three at IAH or whatever. ****, I'm ready to get back to normal, even if I get a severely mild cold.
aTm2004
AG
Post removed:
by user
XpressAg09
AG
Again, voters are exempt from Abbott's order. They cannot turn you away.

Quote:

Every person in Texas shall wear a face covering over the nose and mouth when inside a commercial entity or other building or space open to the public, or when in an outdoor public space, wherever it is not feasible to maintain six feet of social distancing from another person not in the same household; provided, however, that this face-covering requirement does not apply to the following...any person who is voting, assisting a voter, serving as a poli watcher, or actively administering an election, but wearing a face covering is strongly encouraged;

Text here
First Page Last Page
Page 290 of 599

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.