Houston
Sponsored by

Tine Coronavirus thread

2,500,325 Views | 20959 Replies | Last: 2 mo ago by Ciboag96
Mikeyshooter
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Columbus Day bump!!
LostInLA07
AG
You mean Indigenous Peoples Day!
Ducks4brkfast
AG
5% the goal?

Nah. We gonna want 2.5% now.

Jugstore Cowboy
AG
First we gave em smallpox, now Trump is giving them covid.
Jugstore Cowboy
AG
Cindy is a Democrat lobbyist seabeast who's been wrapped up w/ Turner for years.
CW Griswold
Ducks4brkfast said:

5% the goal?

Nah. We gonna want 2.5% now.

jetch17
AG
Did she make up his quote about 2.5 or did he actually say that?

F that noise, goalposts for sure.
Ducks4brkfast
AG
jetch17 said:

Bondag
AG
MUST...GET.....TO...ELECTION....DAY
Al Bula
AG
The Houston Demtards know no shame. Things must really be out of control if marketing guru behind all the lib PR campaigns had to suck the gravy off of chubby digits to field a response to the good news.
jenn96
AG
Ducks4brkfast said:

jetch17 said:

jetch17
AG
Ducks4brkfast said:

jetch17 said:

F him.
Jugstore Cowboy
AG
Fitch
AG
Sorry if I missed it, is there anything actually tied to a lower % or is that just a goal like "zero fatalities on our roads"?
ChemAg15
AG
It's the easiest metric to manipulate. Fewer tests means only the obviously sick get tested = Code Red. More tests means more overall positive cases = Code Red.

We used to tar and feather mother ****ers for **** like this. This country is ran by the ******* for the *******.
Fitch
AG
That did not remotely address my question.
Post removed:
by user
T Durden
AG
Are the latest charts all green?
LostInLA07
AG
No because we haven't been under 200 reported cases for 7 days - although that's such an arbitrary and meaningless metric and TMC has even removed it from their initial gauge slides. R(t) has been pegged at 0.99 for two days so I wouldn't be surprised to see that gauge move off green today. Need some bad news to invalidate the DSHS positive rate moving to 5% (which is garbage data as TMC has been in the 3% range for awhile now).
BSD
AG
On my Bloomberg feed this morning:

Quote:

Houston Controller Warns of 'Disastrous' Coronavirus Tax Hit
2020-10-12 17:01:34.664 GMT

By Danielle Moran
(Bloomberg) -- Houston collected about $50 million in sales
taxes in August, marking a 11% decrease from the same period a
year ago, signaling the impact the continued impact of the
coronavirus pandemic on city budgets, according to a Twitter
thread posted by city controller Chris Brown.
* For the first two months of FY2021, sales tax revenue is down
9.3%; if the city were to finish the year down that rate, it
would translate to $58 million less in revenue: Brown
** Houston is also impacted by low oil prices
* Houston's adopted budget assumes a sales tax reduction of
0.74% compared with last year: Brown
* "If the adopted budget's sales tax revenue projection is
wrong, it could mean disastrous financial consequences for the
city," Brown tweeted
* "This much is clear: the financial impact of #COVID19 and low
oil prices is significant and -- as stimulus dollars run out --
will continue to strain city finances," Brown concluded. "Sales
tax revenue projections should be adjusted or the city could be
facing a budget shortfall of its own making."

Chris B. Brown
@ChrisB_Brown
This much is clear: the financial impact of #COVID19 and
low oil prices is significant and - as stimulus dollars run out
- will continue to strain city finances.

Sales tax revenue projections should be adjusted or the city
could be facing a budget shortfall of its own making.
LostInLA07
AG
Lol. The solution is to "adjust projections."

It definitely is a budget shortfall of its own making though. And it's going to last for awhile. Who in their right mind would open a business or make an investment in city limits or in Harris county for that matter if there is any possibility of placing that same business or investment in unincorporated Ft Bend, Montgomery, Galveston counties?
Post removed:
by user
cone
AG
don't you have access to City Hall?

ask them and let us know the official response
Milwaukees Best Light
AG
Don't worry, plenty of money in HCTRA they are going to raid.
Fitch
AG
Don't need to, already know the answer.

There's bupkis tied to 5%, 2.5% or whatever through the mayors office, unless you frequent the permit office or convention center. It's a public health campaign with billboards and adverts aimed at washing hands and wearing masks.

The force of closures and reopening are controlled through the governors office, or in a couple instances the county judge.
cone
AG
so this was a ruse

please operate in good faith on this board
CowtownAg06
AG
I get the point you're trying to make. People shouldn't get too riled up about Sly's moving target b/c it has little authority. However, that is really missing the point. There are plenty of schools, churches, businesses, and individuals who are looking for guidance and don't follow/understand this stuff well. The listen to local leaders rhetoric is strong.

I just want want our leaders to tell the truth and lead. This goes to all reaches of government and ideological tribes.
AgLiving06
CowtownAg06 said:

I get the point you're trying to make. People shouldn't get too riled up about Sly's moving target b/c it has little authority. However, that is really missing the point. There are plenty of schools, churches, businesses, and individuals who are looking for guidance and don't follow/understand this stuff well. The listen to local leaders rhetoric is strong.

I just want want our leaders to tell the truth and lead. This goes to all reaches of government and ideological tribes.

Technically, Sly should have no authority, however, Abbott has been so weak, he's given the locals more authority than they should have.
aTm2004
AG
Maybe I missed it, but I don't recall anyone at City Hall or any city/county workers being furloughed/laid off throughout this. There will be revenue shortage, which is 100% on Dora and Sly, they need to start by cutting some of their expenses (including Sly's boy toy) before even sniffing increasing taxes.
CW Griswold
Quote:

There are plenty of schools, churches, businesses, and individuals who are looking for guidance and don't follow/understand this stuff well. The listen to local leaders rhetoric is strong.

Absolutely This

Sly may not have power to do anything, but the rhetoric coming out of people like him contributes to the population staying in a state of fear which in turn influences the people who do have power.

chimpanzee
CowtownAg06 said:

Really and truly, people like Turner are not good at anything but obtaining power and no one should listen to their advice regarding practical decisions that impact their lives. He started ingratiating himself with the crowd that picks the Houston mayor back in the eighties and played whatever game they play long enough to get his turn in the big chair. He practiced law for a handful of years but almost immediately went into politics. He doesn't know how to run, fix, or solve anything but his own political career if you give him three decades.

You look to people that have expertise and track records of accomplishing difficult tasks and overcoming challenges for which others find paths to solutions elusive.

Apart from marshalling support from the party establishment in the area in exchange for whatever it is they want, he apparently only knows how to get an unqualified intern with no experience a six figure full time job. If you want that done, listen to his advice, because that's not something just anyone can do.

To think we had the choice between this guy and... well, he had a cool tank, I guess.
chimpanzee
Fitch said:

... unless you frequent the permit office ...

There's the punch line in the City of Houston political scene right there.

The power to regulate real estate development in a (hopefully) growing city is very important and needs the dutiful attention of luminaries like Mr. Turner.
Fitch
AG
Permit office has, surprisingly, been open through all of this. My point was it is City-owned property.
Fitch
AG
CowtownAg06 said:

Well said, and I would hope we can all agree with your last two points.
First Page Last Page
Page 289 of 599

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.