Houston
Sponsored by

Tine Coronavirus thread

2,500,703 Views | 20959 Replies | Last: 2 mo ago by Ciboag96
aTm2004
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Hopefully this is just for resource availability, but his comment in the article doesn't give me much hope for what he's going to do this week.

htxag09
AG
To be fair, we're still in a state of emergency and disaster relief. But it isn't from Covid, it's from an absolutely destroyed economy.
aTm2004
AG
I understand that, but this is the part that makes me believe he's going to continue to play it overly safe...

Quote:

"I urge Texans to take precautionary steps to protect their health by wearing a mask, social distancing, and sanitizing their hands. Working together, we will slow the spread and keep our communities safe."
chimpanzee
Ok, now we have to be in the stage where the # of COVID admits are related to otehr treatments popping positive. Look at the TMC new admits from yesterday...

And census...

rononeill
so when do we not have to wear masks anymore?
Fitch
AG
My bet is March.
FalconAg06
Post removed:
by user
rononeill
but, like, when can we stop wearing them. is the local ordinance indefinite? or is it tied to a date or an achievement?
ptothemo
AG
Current Harris County mask order is scheduled to end 14 days after Abbott declares that the virus is no longer a public health disaster.
Nitro Power
AG
ptothemo said:

Current Harris County mask order is scheduled to end 14 days after Abbott declares that the virus is no longer a public health disaster. the day Abbot declares it to be, since Dora has absolutely no authority per the governor.

FIFY
Post removed:
by user
Fitch
AG
Like Hurricane Laura, right?
Post removed:
by user
coolerguy12
AG
rononeill said:

but, like, when can we stop wearing them. is the local ordinance indefinite? or is it tied to a date or an achievement?

You can stop wearing them now.
RenoAg
Any of yall follow EthicalSkeptic on Twitter? Interesting stuff. Not gonna lie. I don't completely understand much of it. Maybe some of yall might?
gougler08
AG
RenoAg said:

Any of yall follow EthicalSkeptic on Twitter? Interesting stuff. Not gonna lie. I don't completely understand much of it. Maybe some of yall might?
I'm sure Keegan can explain it
chimpanzee
gougler08 said:

RenoAg said:

I'm sure Keegan can explain it
Keegan may be able to take a better cut at it than I can, but I have been following ES. I actually only set up a Twitter (a truly horrible medium for the worst of humanity's impulses to thrive) account at all when I saw the garbage analysis that media was doing around this issue, and ES's angle is an interesting one that is too math-y and non-panicky for any of the talking heads to pick up on.

From what I have gathered, his approach is to look at all cause mortality and separate out any/all detail that you can get from it. The big obvious thing that he hits on is the difference between dates of cases/deaths reported and when they actually occur. The issue with Texas' data being unprocessed is a prime example of ES's hypothesis playing out. They reported cases when received and then held on to them as they were processed and subsequently reported positive results at a later date. There remains a stockpile of historical cases and deaths that can be released at whatever pace "public health" officials want to maintain the idea that we're dealing with impacts that are worse than they actually are at the moment.

It takes a willful act to be misleading like that, and ES characterizes the restriction of liberties via intentional misleading handling of data to present it to a fearful public as a human rights abuse. I tend to agree.

Another local guy is JoeWo2020, he tends to respond under anything Hidalgo or Houston Health tweets out calling them out for what they are not saying using their own data. It is clear that we're being intentionally misled.
Fitch
AG
Neither here nor there, but as a medium I have come to strongly dislike the tweet box. Had one for a while, gave it up for Lent one year and realized how often I had started looking at it and going down the rabbit hole on meaningless stuff.

At the end of the day it's an echo chamber just like other platforms. The Twitter algorithm will bring you posters it thinks you'll agree with and will make you stay on the site longer. Facts don't matter as much as opinions that elicit likes & dislikes.
aggiemike02
AG
Fitch said:

Neither here nor there, but as a medium I have come to strongly dislike the tweet box. Had one for a while, gave it up for Lent one year and realized how often I had started looking at it and going down the rabbit hole on meaningless stuff.

At the end of the day it's an echo chamber just like other platforms. The Twitter algorithm will bring you posters it thinks you'll agree with and will make you stay on the site longer. Facts don't matter as much as opinions that elicit likes & dislikes.
I had the exact same experience. Gave it up for lent and never went back.
chimpanzee
Fitch said:

Agree completely. In this case I think it was worth it to find some well reasoned contrarians in a world of emoting panic, but it's a horrible place. People (or bots) cheerfully promote obvious lies and actual experts amplify them. It's all a very sad commentary on the state of reason.
BohunkAg
AG
aggiemike02 said:

Fitch said:

I had the exact same experience. Gave it up for lent and never went back.
I need to do that
CW Griswold
I cancelled it several years ago. You won't regret it.
-
XpressAg09
AG
Bad news guys, hospitalizations literally doubled yesterday. #Teetering

In related news, Dora's Gauges-o'-Death aren't looking too shabby.

wessimo
AG
jetch17
AG
Still no word outta hot wheels?
jetch17
AG
Looks like our buddy Sly is comin our at 3:00 today for a finger waggin
Ag06Law
AG
jetch17 said:

Looks like our buddy Sly is comin our at 3:00 today for a finger waggin
Looks like we're going to be allowed to restart "limited special events":

https://www.click2houston.com/news/local/2020/09/09/turner-to-discuss-plan-for-restarting-limited-special-events-in-houston/

Probably BLM protests and Democratic get out the vote rallies.
chimpanzee
Nice of Covid to give people the holiday.

AgLiving06
16% of patients in the ICU are COVID related.

Insanity that we keep things locked down still. How low does it need to be? 0%?
BohunkAg
AG
Still in red alert baby

jetch17
AG
the virus WILL take advantage of any opportunity we give it!!!!
Jackal99
AG
jetch17 said:

the virus WILL take advantage of any opportunity we give it!!!!
Just like Sly and Dora.
jetch17
jetch17
AG
Sly says we can now go to the symphony! get your fuggin tophats out!
First Page Last Page
Page 262 of 599

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.