Houston
Sponsored by

Tine Coronavirus thread

2,475,618 Views | 20959 Replies | Last: 1 mo ago by Ciboag96
aTm2004
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Is this for sure? Wife works there and she hasn't heard anything.
gougler08
AG
This was from 2 days ago:

https://www.vype.com/Texas/Houston/katy-isd-humble-isd-set-to-restart-strength-conditioning-camps

And my boss mentioned his son starts band back up today at Atascocita, so think they are going forward at least in prep for sports...I would assume things are still delayed to actually start back up until UIL dates that were posted
Nitro Power
AG
AgLiving06 said:

I believe if we hold on another two weeks, the slope will have a significant enough grade, that we we can open everything up. I am not an expert, but the rate seems to be two weeks, so I will stick with that.
aTm2004
AG
Ahh, you were talking about extracurriculars. I was thinking you were talking about school
Fitch
AG
Hopefully schools / sports can get back to some state of normalcy. One of my co-worker's family got it and was out of commission for a few weeks after one of the teenagers brought it home. The kids were down a couple days and then, just like a switch, back to normal.

I've had another two cousins, 18 and 22, catch it from summertime social gatherings and basically had the same routine - flu like sickness for a couple days, lost taste/smell for a day or two, then back working out ~10 days after symptoms started. Freaked out their parents pretty good, though.
aTm2004
AG
My wife's cousin, who is going into her sophomore year of college, got it earlier this month. She just had a scratchy throat and had aches for a couple days, then that was it.
Ducks4brkfast
AG
I can quickly and easily get to a dozen people I personally know that have had it. Earl7 20s to unhealthy late 60s.

One of the guys lives 4 doors down from me. Late 30s, 3 kids. His office was allowing some folks back, but had to test negative through whatever clinic his HR set-up for them to go to. Tested positive. Zero symptoms. Doctor told him to quarantine and they'll test again in 14 days. Still zero symptoms and tested positive again. Waited 7 more days, another test - positive. It was on like day 30 or something he finally tested negative. Wife and kids never got it.
cone
AG
but they might have long term heart damage
chjoak
AG
Neighbor's oldest who is up at Ok St got it while in Stillwater. He had loss of taste & smell for 2 days and that was it. Only reason he knew he had anything was that he couldn't taste his food.
chimpanzee
cone said:

Not sure if serious.

cone
AG
that's the latest and greatest in findings

hate to see it
aTm2004
AG
cone said:

There's going to be a lot of long term heart damage from boyfriends and girlfriends quarantining with other people during this.
chjoak
AG
chimpanzee said:

cone said:

Not sure if serious.

You gotta quit paying so much attention to the liberal media. How can they find LONG TERM heart damage when this whole thing has been around only a few months?
I could see the possibility of those hospitalized ending up with organ damage but there is no way that asymptomatic or mild symptom people are gonna have long term effects.
TXTransplant
T Durden said:

BohunkAg said:

Cy fair sent an email yesterday saying they were going to resume athletics, cheer, drill team, etc. As well.

Tomball just sent an email saying there will be no participation in marching band competitions this fall.

That's a big decision because both schools are 6A, and this is a state competition year.

Letter did say that bands would be present at home football games, if and when the season starts. In person practices have been suspended until further notice (presumably when the district opens up to in-person instruction).

The biggest factor in this decision was cost. They didn't want to obligate parents to spend a bunch of money on band only to have the season cancelled (not to mention the expense to the school and band boosters). I actually think that's a pretty fair and responsible decision.
aggie_sprt
Ducks4brkfast said:

I can quickly and easily get to a dozen people I personally know that have had it. Earl7 20s to unhealthy late 60s.

One of the guys lives 4 doors down from me. Late 30s, 3 kids. His office was allowing some folks back, but had to test negative through whatever clinic his HR set-up for them to go to. Tested positive. Zero symptoms. Doctor told him to quarantine and they'll test again in 14 days. Still zero symptoms and tested positive again. Waited 7 more days, another test - positive. It was on like day 30 or something he finally tested negative. Wife and kids never got it.

So neither the company or the doctor were following CDC guidelines regarding ending self-isolation or re-testing.

If positive but asymtommatic, can end self isolation 10 days after positive test and re-testing is not recommended for up to 3 months after positive tests due to persistent shedding of viral RNA. Details at the links below. FYI - if you haven't been on the CDC websites, they do not provide what you might describe as executive summaries so be prepared to read the wall-o-text.

CDC guidelines

CDC testing guidelines
cone
AG
https://www.statnews.com/2020/07/27/covid19-concerns-about-lasting-heart-damage/
TXTransplant
cone said:

that's the latest and greatest in findings

hate to see it

So, the solution is to keep things shut down because a fraction of the fraction of people who get this virus MIGHT have long-term heart damage?

We can't keep moving the goal posts, because if we do, the only solution is going to be for all of us to stay isolated in our homes forever.

We've gone from trying to keep the hospitals from being overwhelmed (stay at home orders), to minimizing spread (certain businesses still closed and masks required), to trying to prevent even a single person from dying from it (keeping schools closed).

And now we're going to try to protect people from heart damage that ~might~ happen IF they get infected???

These objectives are simply not conducive to any semblance of normal life, and we do not behave this way for ANY OTHER disease or illness that has similar or worse impacts on human health.
LostInLA07
AG
Get ready for flu season and the narrative shifting to the risk of overwhelming hospitals by stacking flu patients and a covid second wave. Gotta shut down until January.
P.H. Dexippus
AG
Wow, what a disappointment. Especially for seniors (or at least those that self-identify as band nerds). I marched for Tomball 20 years and looking back, it was much more formative of who I am today compared to competitive sports was.
Ducks4brkfast
AG
Pretty sure the testing he was required to undergo was driven by the industry, and specifically, the job he has.
chimpanzee
cone said:

https://www.statnews.com/2020/07/27/covid19-concerns-about-lasting-heart-damage/

Now do the flu, and give me data on the control group.

Specifically do an analysis of risk factor controlled versus the healthy controlled. There's no context there, just scary speculation.
aggie_sprt
Pretty sure it doesn't matter what industry.

CDC return to work guidelines for healthcare workers

Basically the same as for other workers. Bottom line, re-testing is not recommended.
gougler08
AG
I guess cone is back to being a doomer? Hard to keep up
JYDog90
AG
TXTransplant said:

T Durden said:

BohunkAg said:

Cy fair sent an email yesterday saying they were going to resume athletics, cheer, drill team, etc. As well.

Tomball just sent an email saying there will be no participation in marching band competitions this fall.

That's a big decision because both schools are 6A, and this is a state competition year.

Letter did say that bands would be present at home football games, if and when the season starts. In person practices have been suspended until further notice (presumably when the district opens up to in-person instruction).

The biggest factor in this decision was cost. They didn't want to obligate parents to spend a bunch of money on band only to have the season cancelled (not to mention the expense to the school and band boosters). I actually think that's a pretty fair and responsible decision.
I'm not a band guy...and this may be a bit off the cuff...but I think this sucks. The band can't participate in competition, but it can serve as background music and ambiance for the football team?
oglaw
AG
It feels like multiple people use the cone account.
Agz_2003
AG
TXTransplant said:

T Durden said:

BohunkAg said:

Any word if TISD will change their mind of starting virtually only since Paxton's letter?
TXTransplant
Yeah, that's my understanding. They will perform at home football games, school functions (pep rallies), and community events (i.e., the Christmas parade, if there is one).

It stinks for the kids, but considering how much it costs to create a show and compete, I don't think it was worth the risk. We don't even know if there are going to be any competitions this fall (my guess is it will all get cancelled). Seems irresponsible to spend all that money only to not be able to perform.

Then there is the issue of fundraising - a huge part of the operating budget comes from concession sales at home football games. And we have no idea if they are going to play or if we will be allowed to operate a concession stand (or even if people will be allowed in the stands).

From a financial standpoint, I don't see how they could have made any other decision.

Sadly, though, I think this might push a lot of kids out of band. THS was moved up to 6A this year, and that was already a tough change (they are a small 6A). Quite a few kids had already said they would not be continuing with band before the shutdown. I think it's going to be a tough few years, not just this one.
TXTransplant
I was talking with someone in the district last night, and it looks like they are going to stick with online only, at least until Sept 15.

I think at this point, you can't keep yanking parents' chains.

Just anecdotally, it seems like a lot more of my son's friends decided to commit to online only once they learned that in-person was going to be delayed.

I heard the split for the high school was roughly 70:30 in person to online, but at the point that number was shared, only about 50% of parents in the district has responded to the survey.
Agz_2003
AG
TXTransplant said:

I was talking with someone in the district last night, and it looks like they are going to stick with online only, at least until Sept 15.

Just anecdotally, it seems like a lot more of my son's friends decided to commit to online only once they learned that in-person was going to be delayed.

I heard the split for the high school was roughly 70:30 in person to online, but at the point that number was shared, only about 50% of parents in the district has responded to the survey.
The online only decision makes more sense for kids not in K through about 4th/5th. I don't believe teaching such a young age group virtually will be successful. Seems like a waste of time honestly.
cone
AG
I didn't make the virus

the Chinese did, complain to them
TXTransplant
Agz_2003 said:

TXTransplant said:

The online only decision makes more sense for kids not in K through about 4th/5th. I don't believe teaching such a young age group virtually will be successful. Seems like a waste of time honestly.

I totally agree. I was talking with a mom last night, and there were all sorts of unintended/unanticipated problems in the spring.

She said she basically had to supervise her youngest (I think he was in K) constantly.

They had an "assignment" the kids had to count something using tally marks - which is completely easy if you're doing it with a pencil and paper. But the kids had to draw lines with a mouse. And the lines had to be within a certain space, so if they weren't just right, they didn't get counted/detected. She wound up having to draw the lines for him - which is just stupid and a complete waste of time.

Not to mention a good way to give yourself carpal tunnel.

I'm also wondering if the "standards" will be different for the kids who chose online vs those who were forced into it. Because you can't expect working families to just drop everything and educate their kids for three weeks.

Ugh...I need to stop or I'm going to get my blood pressure up.
TXTransplant
cone said:

I didn't make the virus

the Chinese did, complain to them

The problem isn't just the virus. It's as how we as a collective society have reacted to it - giving very little consideration to actual scientific data and instead basing major decisions on emotions and feelings and anecdotes.

That's not China's fault.
Fitch
AG
To be fair, that's been true of all sides of the reaction - mask vs no mask, pro-shut down vs. "open it all up", "Just the flu" arguments and hydroxychloroquine efficacy debates...etc...

Makes me very glad I got off Twitter a few years back.
cone
AG
so you're saying stat news is untrustworthy

maybe you're also cherry picking what you want to believe
TXTransplant
What is "stat news"?

In general, I will question just about anyone's conclusions about data, especially if they aren't a scientist and/or statistician. My preference is to look at the data myself and draw my own conclusions.

But I certainly don't trust politicians or reporters to accurately interpret data. Because when they do, we get statements like "cases are continually increasing". Well of course they are (duh)!

I'm certainly not infallible when it comes to data interpretation, but I got on board with the shutdown when the goal was to prevent hospitals from becoming overwhelmed. We've done that, and it's time to start trying to get back to some sort of "normal life".

Setting some standard that schools can't open unless there are no new cases (isn't that what CA said?) is just ridiculous and unrealistic.

This virus is never going away. We have to adapt and learn how to live with the threat while best protecting those at most risk, just like we have with other viruses.

The idea that ALL deaths from this virus are completely preventable is simply not true any more than all deaths from the flu or pneumonia are preventable. There is no reason to shut down our lives and livelihoods for this one. Modify them, yes, but not shut down.

I work in the fuels and chemicals industry. Given the inherent danger of what we do and the materials involved in doing it, we practice something called "risk assessment". Obviously the goal is to never have even a single environmental mishap, equipment malfunction, injury, or death. But the only way to completely prevent that is to shut all the plants down. And that's just not (and shouldn't be) an option.

Schools should be taking the same approach. Schools should be taking the same approach. With ANY danger or threat, there are absolutely ways to manage the risk that don't involve shutting everything down.
First Page Last Page
Page 225 of 599

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.