Houston
Sponsored by

Tine Coronavirus thread

2,475,819 Views | 20959 Replies | Last: 1 mo ago by Ciboag96
terradactylexpress
How long do you want to ignore this user?
terradactylexpress
Jet Black said:

Two week shutdown accomplishes nothing significant.

Totally agree, if you are going to shut down it needs to be long enough to hammer the cases down and accompanied with financial support and a plan to keep the cases low or else it's just insanity
Jet Black
terradactylexpress said:

Jet Black said:

Totally agree, if you are going to shut down it needs to be long enough to hammer the cases down and accompanied with financial support and a plan to keep the cases low or else it's just insanity

Yep. Knowing them it will be two weeks initially, and then they will start to extend it. That will really piss a lot of folks off. If it needs to be a month then say a month and let people come to terms with it.
Nitro Power
AG
And where the hell is this financial support coming from? I don't know about the rest of you all, but I'm tired of paying taxes out the ass and getting absolutely o support from anything or anyone. People considering/supporting a shutdown need to keep this **** in mind.
terradactylexpress
The same place it all comes from, the government prints more. Just this time maybe some of it goes to non-billonaires
SirLurksALot
Nitro Power said:

And where the hell is this financial support coming from? I don't know about the rest of you all, but I'm tired of paying taxes out the ass and getting absolutely o support from anything or anyone. People considering/supporting a shutdown need to keep this **** in mind.

The question the lockdown crowd needs to answer is how many lives will another lockdown actually save. Nobody seems to have the answer. But, it doesn't matter cause "we have to do whatever it takes to save just one life".
jenn96
AG
terradactylexpress said:

Jet Black said:

Based on past experience that's completely unlikely to happen. Instead we'll see a shutdown with no attempt at any strategies, just keeping people home at major financial hardship, and then open again and rinse repeat. Better to just let the cases move through the community, trust people to act responsibly and ride it out. The end result of deaths is the same but we try to limit the economic and emotional damage. Not a good option but better than anything else that's out there.
TXTransplant
And no matter what kind of shutdown you implement, you're always going to have people who do this...

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.foxnews.com/us/texas-hospital-died-covid-party.amp

This is why you just let everyone decide for themselves. If people can choose to engage in high-risk behavior, then the rest of us should each be able to choose what level of risk is acceptable for ourselves and our families.
cone
AG
that's crazy that you know such a relatively significant portion of overall Texas deaths

are you close to the Hispanic or Black community?
cone
AG
actually it does if you think we're overshooting

it would be worth it to hit a reset in that case. you can check the exponential growth.
Build It
AG
Mamacita's owner is only Hispanic. Others gringo.

I'm class of 86 so I know lots of old people.
cone
AG
that's a remarkable percentage of Caucasian deaths in the area
BohunkAg
AG
This is just stupid. The Chron does this section every year (as does every other paper). It's so funeral homes and others can advertise. These people are nuts.

cone
AG
there might be areas in the county with surprisingly high seroprevalence if the anecdotal reports from the frontline folk about the SES of hospitalized patients is any indication

same thing happened in NYC

they had/have 25% prevalence across the boroughs but Manhattan didn't get hit anywhere close to as hard as Queens
cc_ag92
AG
Maybe someone else has responded, but just in case they haven't.... Houston teachers report August 10th. We're 28 days away from that, not 45.
Fitch
AG
BBRex
AG
Most teachers had to make a decision by the first week of July. Contracts renew or take effect around the early part of July. If a teacher resigned but hasn't signed a new contract yet, that's different.
BBRex
AG
The government supports businesses, not individuals. Hopefully your business both got some relief and decided to pass it along. That's why people are mad about crap like this: https://time.com/5863616/trump-ppp-bailout-loans/

Oh, and the Catholic Church got $1.4 billion. But we won't worry about that.
FarmerJohn
AG
cc_ag92 said:

Maybe someone else has responded, but just in case they haven't.... Houston teachers report August 10th. We're 28 days away from that, not 45.

My mistake, I thought it was 45 days from the first day of school, not the report day.
cajunaggie08
AG
TXTransplant said:

And no matter what kind of shutdown you implement, you're always going to have people who do this...

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.foxnews.com/us/texas-hospital-died-covid-party.amp

This is why you just let everyone decide for themselves. If people can choose to engage in high-risk behavior, then the rest of us should each be able to choose what level of risk is acceptable for ourselves and our families.
To me the flaw in that is we have to trust those who have been exposed to the virus to take the precautions necessary to not go about spreading it so we can participate in what we think is low risk activities. My mom spent the past weekend going on bike rides with friends, hitting up grocery stores, going to neighbors houses despite the fact that she lives with my dad who is currently COVID positive. Her excuse is that she isnt showing any symptoms so she probably doesn't have it. Any she very well may not. She also could be putting a bunch of late middle aged people at risk.
cone
AG
lol come get your people

holy ****
BohunkAg
AG
cajunaggie08 said:

TXTransplant said:

To me the flaw in that is we have to trust those who have been exposed to the virus to take the precautions necessary to not go about spreading it so we can participate in what we think is low risk activities. My mom spent the past weekend going on bike rides with friends, hitting up grocery stores, going to neighbors houses despite the fact that she lives with my dad who is currently COVID positive. Her excuse is that she isnt showing any symptoms so she probably doesn't have it. Any she very well may not. She also could be putting a bunch of late middle aged people at risk.
So this anecdotal story is why everyone is dumb and we should leave it to the government to blanket everyone with one solution. Got it.
cajunaggie08
AG
BohunkAg said:

cajunaggie08 said:

TXTransplant said:

So this anecdotal story is why everyone is dumb and we should leave it to the government to blanket everyone with one solution. Got it.
My anecdotal story is to remind you that people is dumb and putting trust in people to do the right thing is nothing more than hopeful wishing. Putting trust in people to do the right thing is why our hospitals are extra crowded.
BohunkAg
AG
Well, you may get your wish...Dora to the rescue! A shut down at this point is silly.

Onceaggie2.0
A lockdown just delays the inevitable we locked for 3 months yet here we are.
BohunkAg
AG
FPS_Dough said:

A lockdown just delays the inevitable we locked for 3 months yet here we are.
You are right....it's a novel virus. Unless, there's a vaccine a lockdown is worthless. And no vaccine seems to be forthcoming. Anyone pushing for a lockdown is just silly....especially those wanting to close restaurants....that has the potential to be an economy killer.
Milwaukees Best Light
AG
Rather than force this mask stuff on us, if they would have done a positive marketing campaign from the start I think it would been more effective and less negative sentiment towards local officials. If you get JJ Watt, Correa, Verlander, Paul Wall, Bun B, Harden and Westbrook all in a commercial showing off masks, maybe have some sham fashion mask contest or some other way to make it cool, the populace would have jumped on it. Have Mask of the Day or something like that in the Chron or channel 2 app. Put up an award for best mask design, then make a couple thousand and give them away. There are plenty of ways to make this cool, but no, lets go with wear a mask or get a ticket.
TXTransplant
cajunaggie08 said:

TXTransplant said:

I agree with you about the flaw, but another shutdown isn't going to fix this. I don't envision one where someone isn't allowed to go to the grocery store, to neighbors' houses, or on bike rides.

Your mom opted to engage in risky behavior (based on her circumstances). The friends/neighbors she interacted with also chose to do so.

Was she honest with her friends and neighbors about your dad being +? If so, then it's on them because it was their choice to visit with her. And it's not the government's place to tell them not to, and they can't really prevent this kind of behavior anyway.

From a personal standpoint, people like your mom are exactly why I'm not in favor of another shutdown. I'm healthy/low-risk AND I'm trying to to the right thing. Yet, people like her are going out and breathing all over everyone and not taking proper precautions like it's no big deal. So, every man/woman for him/herself, I guess.
Bondag
AG
Without contract tracing a lockdown is pointless.

Houston locked down and had little to no spread because we had little to no spread before the lockdown.

Then when we re-opened we did not see a huge jump until the George Floyd protest that literally had people drive in from Covid hotspots to speak alongside Mayor Turner.

We could lockdown Houston 100%, but if one person comes in with the virus it will just start to spread again.
Bondag
AG
Milwaukees Best Light said:

Rather than force this mask stuff on us, if they would have done a positive marketing campaign from the start I think it would been more effective and less negative sentiment towards local officials. If you get JJ Watt, Correa, Verlander, Paul Wall, Bun B, Harden and Westbrook all in a commercial showing off masks, maybe have some sham fashion mask contest or some other way to make it cool, the populace would have jumped on it. Have Mask of the Day or something like that in the Chron or channel 2 app. Put up an award for best mask design, then make a couple thousand and give them away. There are plenty of ways to make this cool, but no, lets go with wear a mask or get a ticket.
https://www.redbubble.com/i/mask/Paull-Wall-Grill-by-renerez/47755911.9G0D8
BohunkAg
AG
TXTransplant said:

cajunaggie08 said:

TXTransplant said:

I agree with you about the flaw, but another shutdown isn't going to fix this. I don't envision one where someone isn't allowed to go to the grocery store, to neighbors' houses, or on bike rides.

Your mom opted to engage in risky behavior (based on her circumstances). The friends/neighbors she interacted with also chose to do so.

Was she honest with her friends and neighbors about your dad being +? If so, then it's on them because it was their choice to visit with her. And it's not the government's place to tell them not to, and they can't really prevent this kind of behavior anyway.

Right...there was behavior like this going on during the first lockdown....I would except more of it during a second one because people are just tired of all of it at this point. The mask rule, while burdensome is probably the way to go. And you won't slow the progression overnight. That's the problem. All these politicos see the cases rising and want an immediate fix....hey there's not one.
n_touch
Quote:

Without contract tracing a lockdown is pointless.
Don't give them any ideas
BohunkAg
AG
Lina and her second lockdown idea is patently absurd. If Abbott caves in to it, I will have lost all respect for him.
TXTransplant
Exactly! No one is willing to stay home anymore. You're doing good just to get people to wear masks at this point.

We can't go back. We have to just let this play out. If there are people who don't care enough to protect their own friends/neighbors from a known infection, then the government stepping in isn't going to change that.

Let the rest of us who are trying to be careful go on with our lives.
BohunkAg
AG
TXTransplant said:

If there are people who don't care enough to protect their own friends/neighbors from a known infection, then the government stepping in isn't going to change that.

Important point here. My mother and dad are 84 years old. They aren't going to church and we have severely limited contact with them. They made that decision, along with us and my siblings. This was before and after Texas began opening.

Again, it's anecdotal, but any new lockdown that is put in place is a meaningless gesture that is going to only end up hurting business. As people have said before, until you start furloughing and taking salary away from the people making these decisions, they will not understand.
First Page Last Page
Page 197 of 599

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.