Houston
Sponsored by

Tine Coronavirus thread

2,500,002 Views | 20959 Replies | Last: 2 mo ago by Ciboag96
SirLurksALot
How long do you want to ignore this user?
We can have normal economic activity now. There's no reason not too other than irrational fear.

We still have lower deaths per capita than several of those European countries that have allegedly handled this so well.
terradactylexpress
We can't and we haven't. With or without government intervention.
SirLurksALot
terradactylexpress said:

Complete lie. Covid is a mild illness and needs to be treated accordingly. The only reason most people aren't living normally is because the government won't allow it.
98Ag99Grad
AG
How about a treatment instead of vaccine? Ive read common steroids used for allergies is now seen as effective in treating it. Are docs prescribing anything to people who are sick or are you just toughing it out with tylenol and rest?
Build It
AG
SirLurksALot said:

terradactylexpress said:

Complete lie. Covid is a mild illness and needs to be treated accordingly. The only reason most people aren't living normally is because the government won't allow it.

Do you really believe that?
SirLurksALot
Build It said:

SirLurksALot said:

terradactylexpress said:

Do you really believe that?

Yes. It's the only logical conclusion based on the facts.
Silky Johnston
If there is anything this stupid pandemic and response to it has shown is that "logic" is a pretty fluid term.
swimmerbabe11
I've never met a single person that doesn't believe that they are logical.
SirLurksALot
Only if you believe it's logical to make 330 million people suffer for a virus which even the worst case estimate only predicts .6% of the population will die.
Build It
AG
People I've known.

Boss-62 - 5 days straight if 102 temp
Son- 18 - no symptoms
Wife's uncle 79, critical condition
Coworker grandparent, 96 dead
Friend father 86, dead
Local restaurant owner friend, 63, dead

I hope you don't have any old people close to you.

SirLurksALot
Build It said:

People I've known.

Boss-62 - 5 days straight if 102 temp
Son- 18 - no symptoms
Wife's uncle 79, critical condition
Coworker grandparent, 96 dead
Friend father 86, dead
Local restaurant owner friend, 63, dead

I hope you don't have any old people close to you.

People die. That's life. The government needs to do what's in the best interest of the over 99% of people that will survive.

There's no guarantee that lockdowns will save lives anyway. It's all just an attempt to buy time for a vaccine that may never come.
Build It
AG
Let me get this straight your willing to risk the life of your parents, grandparents, your immune compromised baby sitter. For what?
Post removed:
by user
terradactylexpress
No they are supposed to stay at home, yet still contribute to the economy...
SirLurksALot
Build It said:

Let me get this straight your willing to risk the life of your parents, grandparents, your immune compromised baby sitter. For what?

Are you saying that what we're doing now will guarantee their survival?
SirLurksALot
terradactylexpress said:

No they are supposed to stay at home, yet still contribute to the economy...

No, they are supposed to make the best choice for themselves. If they choose to stay locked up in fear of a mild illness then that is their choice. It shouldn't be forced on the rest of the population.

As we witnessed during the period when restrictions were eased. Millions of people have no problem returning to normal life right now.
cone
AG
brutal

all Texas deaths?
Build It
AG
No but I damn well want to give them the best shot.
Build It
AG
Yes, don't be old, don't have diabetes
dragmagpuff
AG
The idea that the only thing keeping people from engaging in normal economic activity is the government saying they can't is absurd.

Even when restaurants in Texas were allowed to be open at 75% capacity (-25%), they didn't come close to hitting that. According to OpenTable, Texas reservations were still -53.7% year over year for the Month of June. Houston was -59%. If the government was the only thing holding people back, that should be -25%.

In comparison for the month of June, Germany was only -14%.

I personally am not worried about getting the virus. I'm young and relatively healthy. I would just rather be able to visit my at-risk parents with out worrying about it then go drink at a bar or eat in restaurants. I also get a flu vaccine to keep them from getting the flu from me.

texagbeliever
dragmagpuff said:

The idea that the only thing keeping people from engaging in normal economic activity is the government saying they can't is absurd.

Even when restaurants in Texas were allowed to be open at 75% capacity (-25%), they didn't come close to hitting that. According to OpenTable, Texas reservations were still -53.7% year over year for the Month of June. Houston was -59%. If the government was the only thing holding people back, that should be -25%.

I personally am not worried about getting the virus. I'm young and relatively healthy. I would just rather be able to visit my at-risk parents with out worrying about it then go drink at a bar or eat in restaurants. I also get a flu vaccine to keep them from getting the flu from me.

Now imagine you were a bartender, bar owner, waiter, restraint owner, etc and your livelihood was now stopped. What is more important visiting your parents or providing a living for your family (possibly supplicating your at risk parents income)? Stop being so selfish and thinking about this as between you having fun and your family instead of thinking about this as the minority whose livelihoods are being destroyed so that some extremely at risk people dont die (earlier then they otherwise would).
SirLurksALot
dragmagpuff said:

If people weren't going out then why did we have to shut down bars, beaches, and state parks again?

If we had kept things open more people would've gone out over time once they realized that there was nothing to fear. Government fear mongering is just as damaging to the economy as the lockdowns.
FarmerJohn
AG
I tried Googling job mobility, but couldn't find a concise ranking of jobs. I know that finding jobs in oil and gas isn't easy right now. But right now we are about 45 days away from the start of the HISD school year. So a teacher could resign without penalty to their license but had better make their decision fast. When they feel it's safe again, they could return. Yes, this has significant financial and professional reprocussions. This is the same considerations everyone has to make. At the end of day, you work where you do because you choose to. That's not the same as an easy choice.
BarryProfit
https://www.houstonchronicle.com/news/houston-texas/houston/article/Turner-in-favor-of-a-step-back-two-week-15402756.php
dragmagpuff
AG
SirLurksALot said:

dragmagpuff said:

If people weren't going out then why did we have to shut down bars, beaches, and state parks again?

If we had kept things open more people would've gone out over time once they realized that there was nothing to fear. Government fear mongering is just as damaging to the economy as the lockdowns.

I'm not saying that a lot of people weren't going out. I'm saying that a significant number of people are deciding to not go out.

And I am also saying that Germany, a country which was slower in their reopening and hasn't had flare ups , has much higher economic participation.

There are more new hospitalizations in Houston than Germany had new cases yesterday. It's no surprise to me that they're getting back to normal in a quicker and more sustainable way.
BarryProfit
If Abbott is going to shut it down I bet he does it soon so they can still try to hit the mid August school opening dates.
SirLurksALot
dragmagpuff said:

SirLurksALot said:

dragmagpuff said:

I'm not saying that a lot of people weren't going out. I'm saying that a significant number of people are deciding to not go out.

And I am also saying that Germany, a country which was slower in their reopening and hasn't had flare ups , has much higher economic participation.

There are more new hospitalizations in Houston than Germany had new cases yesterday. It's no surprise to me that they're getting back to normal in a quicker and more sustainable way.

Germany also did a much better job controlling their outbreak at the beginning. No city in Germany had "horror stories" coming out like the New York area did. It's expected that their population would feel comfortable returning to normal sooner.
dragmagpuff
AG
texagbeliever said:

dragmagpuff said:

Now imagine you were a bartender, bar owner, waiter, restraint owner, etc and your livelihood was now stopped. What is more important visiting your parents or providing a living for your family (possibly supplicating your at risk parents income)? Stop being so selfish and thinking about this as between you having fun and your family instead of thinking about this as the minority whose livelihoods are being destroyed so that some extremely at risk people dont die (earlier then they otherwise would).

That's why many European countries provided direct financial assistance to the places and employees they mandated closed as opposed to our convoluted PPP.

I agree that Texas giving bar owners 3 hours notice that they have to close down again, with no financial support is idiotic.
terradactylexpress
Right, because they have the outbreak under control.
SirLurksALot
terradactylexpress said:

Right, because they have the outbreak under control.

Yeah, that's the point. They didn't a great job early on and we didn't. That doesn't help us now though. It makes no sense to continue the 4 months of failed attempts at restrictions. At this point it's best to just let the virus run it's course.
dragmagpuff
AG
SirLurksALot said:

dragmagpuff said:

SirLurksALot said:

dragmagpuff said:

Germany also did a much better job controlling their outbreak at the beginning. No city in Germany had "horror stories" coming out like the New York area did. It's expected that their population would feel comfortable returning to normal sooner.

That's my whole point. There is no reason why Texas couldn't have responded similar to Germany. We delayed a NY or Italy first wave. But we had no interest in using tools other than economic self destruction to keep the virus under control. Germany limited their long term economic damage with targeted government support, and has got the virus in a manageable state. 250 cases and declining. More economic activity. Lower unemployment.
SirLurksALot
dragmagpuff said:

SirLurksALot said:

dragmagpuff said:

SirLurksALot said:

dragmagpuff said:

That's my whole point. There is no reason why Texas couldn't have responded similar to Germany. We delayed a NY or Italy first wave. But we had no interest in using tools other than economic self destruction to keep the virus under control. Germany limited their long term economic damage with targeted government support, and has got the virus in a manageable state. 250 cases and declining. More economic activity. Lower unemployment.

Texas isn't an independent country with the ability to control immigration and economic response.

Germany never had a large outbreak, because they had an effective testing and tracing program in place at the beginning. The US didn't and still doesn't. We were never going to stop the spread here.

Also it should be noted that Germany never had widespread protests. Lockdowns don't do any good if 60,000 are gathering to participate in a protest anyway.
Jet Black
Two week shutdown accomplishes nothing significant.
Ag_07
AG
Just two more weeks
Marvin_Zindler
AG
F*** Sly and Dora the Explorer.
First Page Last Page
Page 196 of 599

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.