Houston
Sponsored by

Tine Coronavirus thread

2,499,894 Views | 20959 Replies | Last: 2 mo ago by Ciboag96
Post removed:
by user
wessimo
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Two of our closest friends have had it, with minor symptoms. My cousin who is a nurse had it with flu-like symptoms; her aunt also caught it and died. A couple other distant cousins have had it. Most of my family is out in the hill country and I'm worried what is going to happen when it starts spreading there; they definitely don't seem to be taking it seriously.
wessimo
AG
Yep, school is going to be a frickin mess this fall.
txags92
AG
I love the hypocrisy of our leaders. The news shows Sly at a location talking about how bad Covid is getting and how everybody just needs to wear a mask and stay home. But they show it about 5 mins after they showed him at a vigil/protest for Vanessa Guillen, where he was shoulder to shoulder with about 8 people while he was speaking, including at least one not wearing a mask, and he is speaking to a group of well over 100 people, none of whom are social distancing and quite a few are not wearing masks either. Can't have it both ways Sly...either we need to stay home, social distance, wear a mask, and not gather in large groups...or we don't. Can't pick and choose when it is important and when it isn't based on which people you are talking to.
cone
AG
another shutdown would definitely abate the current epidemic spread

it would do something. whether or not that's acceptable your mileage may vary
BBRex
AG
Lester Freamon said:

Was talking about this with my wife. She has two teacher friends who are the most naive, come from money, zero big picture perspective teacher types you can imagine. Both have actively voiced how great the quarantine has been, teaching lessons online, less time working, etc. they've treated it like an extended summer break. Wish they had to participate in a real job market.

They do participate in a real job market. There's a demand for teachers right now.
swimmerbabe11
This is shocking to me. I know lots of people who have been sick.. or at least tested positive. One of my friends was hospitalized is finally doing a bit better and a friend's brother died. My brother who is a paramedic in fort worth says 9 people in his company are quarantined sick and it's getting pretty bad there.
BBRex
AG
You don't think those are valid questions?
Silky Johnston
Found the teacher
Post removed:
by user
swimmerbabe11
most of those are really valid logistics questions...I work retail and some of those I asked just about what the plan is if any of it happened. Thank God so far we haven't had any issues, but having a plan in place is kind of a big deal.
Fitch
AG
Educators have unique responsibilities and stresses in the workplace, if for no other reason than the extreme situational variability they deal with and have to adapt to daily.

The questions seem somewhat stream-of-thought, but are all fair. Most just read as trying to understand the ground rules. The latter points hint at a concern teachers seem to be voicing about their own vulnerability but which no one else really engages on, instead talking about the low incidence of serious disease in school ages.
BBRex
AG
Silky Johnston said:

Found the teacher

Nope. And never have been. I am a part-time lecturer at one of the local colleges, though.
gougler08
AG
While most of the questions from the teachers are valid, aren't they mostly the same for any employer / employees that don't have an option to work from home? All of our sites have clear guidelines on what to do if there's a positive case, cleaning protocols, contact tracing, etc. and it's something that we manage and move forward with.

I know the kids pose risks and difficulties that adults don't necessarily bring to the workplace but the rest of the work force is figuring this out, teachers will too
AgLiving06

SockDePot
Anyone else feel a little weird about Army being deployed? "Will include 580 medical personnel". How many else are coming, and what are they going to be doing? Are we headed towards a martial law type lockdown?

*puts on foil hat*
FarmerJohn
AG
BBRex said:

Valid for administrators to think about. But teachers are not owed an answer to all those. Frankly, neither are parents. There is always uncertainty and danger in this world and it seems we've forgotten how to take appropriate risks.

There are lots of people who have returned to work or worked through this with similar fears. Their option is either show up or quit, with no unemployment. Teachers get a blank check to complain because "working with kids is hard". Many teachers I know are using that privilege. Great. But either show up come August or quit. Teachers are simply not as effective by Zoom and schools are society's daycare. They must be open to restart the economy. The virus has made their job more dangerous. Everyone's job is more dangerous. But for most people (including teachers) it is not anymore hazardous than being a garbage man or roofer prior to this pandemic. I don't recall many complaints about their working conditions.
Ducks4brkfast
AG
Nine weeks is the new two weeks
tylercsbn9
AG
Ducks4brkfast said:

Nine weeks is the new two weeks

I'd love to see comments. I'm sure she got riped to shreds
07fta07
AG
No cases for 9 weeks? Good luck with that. Kids will never go back to school.
Ducks4brkfast
AG
It's a pretty good mix of YASS GIRL and you're fking cra cra
swimmerbabe11
how will they handle school buses?

I know one teacher said her school was keeping kids in the same classes and the teachers were rotating instead of the kids. Those kids are going to be wild by the end of the day.
jenn96
AG
Another shutdown would definitely slow down cases but then what? As soon as we open up they'll rise again. Are we going to have rolling shutdowns for the next few years? There's no way a vaccine will be ready, safe and available in sufficient quantity for years if ever.
terradactylexpress
How the **** do you know that?
rhoswen
AG
Because it takes forever to develop a vaccine, then mass produce it?
schmendeler
AG
rhoswen said:

Because it takes forever to develop a vaccine, then mass produce it?

You know what "forever" means, right?
SirLurksALot
swimmerbabe11 said:

They should do whatever they normally do if they get a flu outbreak. Covid's higher fatality rate is still not high enough to warrant treating it differently than the flu.
tylercsbn9
AG
swimmerbabe11 said:

I know one teacher said her school was keeping kids in the same classes and the teachers were rotating instead of the kids. Those kids are going to be wild by the end of the day.

Busses will basically be normal in Cy fair. They asked parents to use car rider if possible but nothing beyond that.

Once again letting parents choose what's best and not bowing to irrational fear.
Post removed:
by user
jenn96
AG
terradactylexpress said:

How the **** do you know that?

I'm stating my opinion. Vaccines take a long time to develop and test. Even if we are able to piggyback off research already done for SARS or other coronaviruses, testing protocols require multiple drug tests on population groups and adverse effects can mean going back to the drawing board. Those tests can be expedited but not eliminated and you're not going to have a massive rollout of a drug meant for a broad population without a good test protocol. And it's entirely possible that we aren't able to develop an effective vaccine at all that doesn't have unacceptable side effects.

Then, once the vaccine is found to be safe and effective, the company that makes it will need to produce hundreds of millions of doses, and those are almost certainly going to be rationed out to certain populations first like healthcare workers, high risk workers, people in high-risk groups or with underlying conditions, politicians, etc.

So yes, I think it will be years before Jenn in Houston is able to go down to CVS and get the Rona vaccine. In my opinion.
jenn96
AG
third coast.. said:

I feel like setting up a clean private bus for the parents to pay for little heydalhynn and jaydalhynn to ride in on could be a money maker. Sell a door to door yearly subscription to the parents of the ultra Karen moms.

That's actually a great idea. Opens up more space on the big bus for my lolpoor kids!
dragmagpuff
AG
enn96 said:

Another shutdown would definitely slow down cases but then what? As soon as we open up they'll rise again. Are we going to have rolling shutdowns for the next few years? There's no way a vaccine will be ready, safe and available in sufficient quantity for years if ever.
There are multiple countries that have all opened up at a reasonable pace (or never even had a real lockdown) that have continued to have decreasing cases and test positivity rates. Bars have been open for a while in many European countries with no resurgence. Many countries reopened schools in May while on the down slope.

This is seen in countries that had significant first waves (Italy, Spain, etc) and in countries that didn't.

This idea that our only options were "close everything down for years" or "let the virus do what it will" is absolutely absurd.

If we had had even a semblance of a nationally-coordinated response other than "it will go away if we ignore it", we could be in line to easily have schools open, college football, bars open, and most normal economic activity.

Even Sweden had a plan that everyone got behind.

Instead, our virus peers are places like Brazil and India.

cone
AG
I would anticipate you getting an injection of something (or at least it being available to you) by this time next year

this is a moonshot project
BBRex
AG
FarmerJohn said:

BBRex said:

Valid for administrators to think about. But teachers are not owed an answer to all those. Frankly, neither are parents. There is always uncertainty and danger in this world and it seems we've forgotten how to take appropriate risks.

There are lots of people who have returned to work or worked through this with similar fears. Their option is either show up or quit, with no unemployment. Teachers get a blank check to complain because "working with kids is hard". Many teachers I know are using that privilege. Great. But either show up come August or quit. Teachers are simply not as effective by Zoom and schools are society's daycare. They must be open to restart the economy. The virus has made their job more dangerous. Everyone's job is more dangerous. But for most people (including teachers) it is not anymore hazardous than being a garbage man or roofer prior to this pandemic. I don't recall many complaints about their working conditions.

Most workers can quit their jobs and find another in their profession pretty easy. Teachers are on contracts, and if they fail to report or quit because of unsafe conditions, the district can have their licenses suspended and prevent them from working as teachers in Texas. So there's a lot at stake for them as opposed to a lot of other professions.
First Page Last Page
Page 195 of 599

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.