Houston
Sponsored by

Tine Coronavirus thread

2,475,781 Views | 20959 Replies | Last: 1 mo ago by Ciboag96
Cromagnum
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
chrisrrtx said:

Anyone else notice that the majority of the deaths are Hispanic with black trailing in second and white a distant third?
Is that a possible sign of genetics in play or possibly a tie to socioeconomic status?

How about percentage of population by race that protested and rioted a month ago?
Stat Monitor Repairman
Certainly glad the gov is mandating people stay in their house and closing every park they can. Seems to be helping people store up that VitaminD.
Ag_07
AG
LostInLA07 said:

Wow what is causing that?

I'm guessing just overall health and underlying conditions.
TarponChaser
Cromagnum said:

chrisrrtx said:

Anyone else notice that the majority of the deaths are Hispanic with black trailing in second and white a distant third?
Is that a possible sign of genetics in play or possibly a tie to socioeconomic status?

How about percentage of population by race that protested and rioted a month ago?

Blacks and Hispanics are significantly more likely to be obese, have diabetes, and heart issues related to the first two than whites.
schmendeler
AG
Cromagnum said:

chrisrrtx said:

I guess I missed the native American component of the BLM protests!
CoachRTM
AG
I would be interested to see the same chart presented by socio-economic class instead of by race. (I realize that's not easy to do)

I imagine that could be where the correlation lies.
ThunderCougarFalconBird
AG
Keegan99 said:

From the CDC.

so the one thing that actually proves to be a real racist is the virus itself. What a dick.
aTm_bomb
AG
blindey said:

Keegan99 said:

From the CDC.

so the one thing that actually proves to be a real racist is the virus itself. What a dick.
Systemic infectionism?
WorthAg95
AG
Keegan99 said:

From the CDC.

Help a sista out... what does "age-adjusted" mean here?
Keegan99
AG
My understanding is that means they adjusted the age pool for each race so that they were proportionally the same across races.

Otherwise you're not really presenting data on race, you're just presenting data on "which race has more old people".
WorthAg95
AG
Thank you!

As school is now about to start, I've been pouring over data for covid, flu and pneumonia for elementary kids. I've also been trying to find mask policies for countries who've been sending kids to school. The teachers on my Facebook are in hard "delay school" mode right now. No one cares about past flu seasons though.
WES2006AG
AG
WorthAg95 said:

Thank you!

As school is now about to start, I've been pouring over data for covid, flu and pneumonia for elementary kids. I've also been trying to find mask policies for countries who've been sending kids to school. The teachers on my Facebook are in hard "delay school" mode right now. No one cares about past flu seasons though.
That is because this isn't the flu. We have vaccines and therapeutics for the flu that we don't have for COVID so it isn't a very good comparison.
WorthAg95
AG
I'm not saying it's the flu. The fact of the matter is you have a certain amount of hysteria going on right now. Instead of listening to anecdotal experience, I prefer to look at data and studies to bring some sort of perspective. I'm especially interested in Texas data vs national.
TarponChaser
WES2006AG said:

WorthAg95 said:

Thank you!

That is because this isn't the flu. We have vaccines and therapeutics for the flu that we don't have for COVID so it isn't a very good comparison.

What "therapeutics" do we have for the flu? Tamiflu??

Here's a difference- if you get the flu you're on your ass for days with symptoms. The number of people with exceedingly mild or no symptoms from CV19 is massive. In fact, it's in excess of 95% from what I've seen. The issue is that the olds, fats, and sickies who get it tend to get hit hard. Just like the flu.

One of the more absurd things about CV19 is how there seems to be an infinite number of alleged complications with evidence for causality being specious at best.
Keegan99
AG
If we PCR tested every flu "exposure" we might find that most people that are "flu positive" show minimal to no symptoms as well.
LostInLA07
AG

Another day of stable numbers and this 7 day average rate will begin to level off as well:

htxag09
AG
WorthAg95 said:

Thank you!

I wonder if these teachers would be as gung ho and in think of the children mode if they were told they'd be furloughed, take pay cuts, laid off, etc like the rest of America.
JYDog90
AG
WorthAg95 said:

Thank you!

This is an article I read a couple of weeks ago that caught my attention.

https://apple.news/Ac9b3qScbRfW3-7TzJpmZrQ

EDIT: I'm sorry, I just realized it's behind a paywall. When I read it it was free.

wessimo
AG
Crappy numbers today

cone
AG
numbers aren't going to really look better until August

just mentally prep for this being the ****ty month
BowSowy
AG
I know these back-dated deaths are the norm with their reporting, but one of those happened in April...
jetch17
AG
Dildo Beto on ch13 news pandering for statewide shutdown - same with story of Sly pushing the same thing
Keegan99
AG
Shutdowns only delay.

If there's one lesson from March and April to June and July, it's that.

If hospitals aren't overwhelmed, you have to let this burn.
Pasquale Liucci
AG
Was talking about this with my wife. She has two teacher friends who are the most naive, come from money, zero big picture perspective teacher types you can imagine. Both have actively voiced how great the quarantine has been, teaching lessons online, less time working, etc. they've treated it like an extended summer break. Wish they had to participate in a real job market.
J. Walter Weatherman
There should be a law that anytime the government shuts businesses down whoever makes the decision doesn't get paid. Would guess we wouldn't see any more shutdowns after that.
terradactylexpress
And what do we do when the are overwhelmed?
jetch17
AG
terradactylexpress said:

2 more weeks
SirLurksALot
terradactylexpress said:

Deal with it and move on. It wouldn't be the end of the world. Most people wouldn't even be affected.
Bondag
AG
htxag09 said:

WorthAg95 said:

Thank you!

I wonder if these teachers would be as gung ho and in think of the children mode if they were told they'd be furloughed, take pay cuts, laid off, etc like the rest of America.

Along those lines, do you know more people that have gotten Covid or have lost job due to Covid?
Post removed:
by user
WorthAg95
AG
I know of one person who has had it, and he was right in the middle of the downtown protests last month.

Lost jobs? For sure. Also add in reduced income. I'm in sales and luckily didn't see my salary temporarily reduced like countless others. I have missed out on tens of thousands in commissions because they shut down all goals/metrics and commissions.
AgLiving06
third coast.. said:

I still do not personally know anyone that has or has had it, and the only person I know of tangentially is a kid at my kids daycare.

I thought you had been in the car with someone who had it?

I know two people who are presumed to have had it (waiting on the results as far as I know). They were fine after a couple days.
Post removed:
by user
gougler08
AG
I know of one person who's had it, but it's the wife of someone I work with so an acquaintance at best
Ag_07
AG
Do people really think another shutdown will just make this thing disappear?

It's here for the foreseeable future and we've got to adapt to living with it.

Live with it and take on as much as risk as you're personally willing to take. Don't feel it's safe enough to go out to eat? Then don't. Don't feel like it's safe enough to go to church? Then don't. Don't feel like it's safe enough to send you kid to school? Then don't.

But don't let your fear ruin it for the rest of us.
First Page Last Page
Page 194 of 599

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.