Houston
Sponsored by

Tine Coronavirus thread

2,505,832 Views | 20959 Replies | Last: 2 mo ago by Ciboag96
aTm2004
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
BarryProfit said:

aTm2004 said:

Or it shows how spineless he really is.

spineless
1. having no spine or backbone; invertebrate.
2. lacking resolution; weak and purposeless

Do you even make sense to yourself?

The path of least resistance for Abbott is to do nothing, he's completely reversing his previous position. You may disagree with his actions but there's no way to accurately describe them as spineless.

You are blindly defending a position and ignoring the changing data.
The data that he used to postpone elective procedures in Harris County and then have the leadership of the TMC essentially go on TV and say they're fine? Yeah, that's the kind of stuff I'm talking about. "Wear a mask!" Look at LA County...very strict mask mandates. What's going on there?
aTm2004
AG
BowSowy said:

Spineless = doesn't do things my way, to atm2004
Don't worry, your fellow coronoabros will be by shortly to give you a pat on the back and tell you how awesome you are! They may even have a socially distanced beer with you!
corndog04
AG
rhoswen said:

Does anyone have a line graph over time of cases vs. deaths? I swore I saw one but I went back a few pages & didn't see it. Texas, Houston, or even national.

Here is a quick and dirty one from TX data with 7 day moving averages, new cases in blue new deaths in red.

swimmerbabe11
I would be giving the play by play, but I'm at work and we are all watching around a cell phone.
IrishTxAggie
AG
swimmerbabe11 said:

I would be giving the play by play, but I'm at work and we are all watching around a cell phone.
Whole lot of help you are...
BarryProfit
aTm2004 said:

BarryProfit said:

aTm2004 said:

spineless

The path of least resistance for Abbott is to do nothing, he's completely reversing his previous position. You may disagree with his actions but there's no way to accurately describe them as spineless.

The data that he used to postpone elective procedures in Harris County and then have the leadership of the TMC essentially go on TV and say they're fine? Yeah, that's the kind of stuff I'm talking about. "Wear a mask!" Look at LA County...very strict mask mandates. What's going on there?

They didn't say they are "fine", they said that are adapting and will be able to handle the situation and the public should not overreact. They are doctors and don't want folks that need medical help to not seek it on account if the virus. They also are doing what good leaders do in a time of crisis - calm the masses to reinforce that they have matters under control.

Did you notice what they also said in the same press conference? "Stay home, wear masks, don't congregate, help us help you". Basically the very thing you are complaining about re: Abbott is the same thing these doctors recommended the public do yesterday. So you can't cherry pick part of their message and ignore the rest of it.
Diggity
AG
I find this to be one of the many issues where I can equally dislike people at both extremes.
Teddy Perkins
AG
Panama Red
AG
aTm2004 said:

BowSowy said:

Don't worry, your fellow coronoabros will be by shortly to give you a pat on the back and tell you how awesome you are! They may even have a socially distanced beer with you!

Throwing in a "coronabro" is great way to ensure maximum blue stars from your internet buddies
IrishTxAggie
AG
Dora can **** off... Facts don't support her narrative.

Something, something "Elephant in the room" Something. something...
Post removed:
by user
rhoswen
AG
Perfect, thank you!
Bubba smollett
Panama Red said:

aTm2004 said:

BowSowy said:

Throwing in a "coronabro" is great way to ensure maximum blue stars from your internet buddies
LOL someone is triggered.
aTm2004
AG
Panama Red said:

aTm2004 said:

BowSowy said:

Your Tine Board clique is much superior to mine, which I think may be a good thing. Hopefully they'll come through and give you the POTD!
Panama Red
AG
Quote:

He roll over & kiss you for rushing to his rescue?

Abbott is wrong to close bars in my opinion, but it wasn't spineless. He's putting his political life on the line.

Not calling out the protestors is spineless.
n_touch
Teddy Perkins said:

Its not redlining yet, we still have work to do
aTm2004
AG
BarryProfit said:

aTm2004 said:

BarryProfit said:

aTm2004 said:

spineless

They didn't say they are "fine", they said that are adapting and will be able to handle the situation and the public should not overreact. They are doctors and don't want folks that need medical help to not seek it on account if the virus. They also are doing what good leaders do in a time of crisis - calm the masses to reinforce that they have matters under control.
You're right, they're calming people, which is something none of our elected officials (local, state, and national) have been able to do. They're not at the dire level people want to believe nor at a level that justified the EO from Abbott.

Quote:

Did you notice what they also said in the same press conference? "Stay home, wear masks, don't congregate, help us help you". Basically the very thing you are complaining about re: Abbott is the same thing these doctors recommended the public do yesterday. So you can't cherry pick part of their message and ignore the rest of it.
So...don't go out and protests? Cool. About that mask mandate...why is LA County currently leading the nation? They have been very strict with mask mandates. Much more so than Abbott.
aTm2004
AG
Panama Red said:

Quote:

Abbott is wrong to close bars in my opinion, but it wasn't spineless. He's putting his political life on the line.

To me, he is spineless to go back to closing things rather than keep things where they currently are. If anyone gives him any grief, point to the protests happening 2 weeks ago and tell them you're giving it more time. Make policing bars/restaurants adherence to the guidelines a priority, and if need be, implement strict fines/punishment for those out of compliance. But don't tell bar owners they have to shut back down just after re-opening and feeling they survived.
cone
AG
opening the bars was stupid

glad that's the targeted rollback
n_touch
Quote:

Make policing bars/restaurants adherence to the guidelines a priority, and if need be, implement strict fines/punishment for those out of compliance.
I think this would have been a better option. But you can not police every place on a regular basis. Owner are trying to make up for lost money this year and people are trying to make up lost time at their favorite hang outs. It was inevitable that this was going to happen.
Daddy-O5
AG
cone said:

Tell that to the bar owners who are now broke, lost their business and likely unemployed on account of an overwhelming minority of the population seriously affected by COVID.
aTm2004
AG
cone said:

Have you confessed your love to the cornoavirus yet? When it's gone, are you going to be one of those crazy women who drives by the guys house on random Tuesday nights?
aTm2004
AG
n_touch said:

Quote:

Make policing bars/restaurants adherence to the guidelines a priority, and if need be, implement strict fines/punishment for those out of compliance.
I think this would have been a better option. But you can not police every place on a regular basis. Owner are trying to make up for lost money this year and people are trying to make up lost time at their favorite hang outs. It was inevitable that this was going to happen.
True, you can't be everywhere all of the time, but a few stiff penalties at first for offenders will set the tone for the others to comply.
Jet Black
Here we go. Ruining more people lives.
TexAgs1992
J.D. c/o 05 said:

cone said:

Tell that to the bar owners who are now broke, lost their business and likely unemployed on account of an overwhelming minority of the population seriously affected by COVID.
This x1000. Unemployment could very well spike back up thanks to Abbott's overreach once again.
BohunkAg
AG
She didn't really say this did she?

98Ag99Grad
AG
sorry but this is the only thing I can think of when seeing that chart

Post removed:
by user
schmendeler
AG
jayelbee said:

Congrats guys! Not only is this thread the biggest circle jerk on the entire site outside of the Premium and Politics boards, you guys have figured out a way to have two polar opposite circle jerks going on at the same time in the same thread.
less talking, more tugging.
BarryProfit
aTm2004 said:

Panama Red said:

Quote:

To me, he is spineless to go back to closing things rather than keep things where they currently are. If anyone gives him any grief, point to the protests happening 2 weeks ago and tell them you're giving it more time. Make policing bars/restaurants adherence to the guidelines a priority, and if need be, implement strict fines/punishment for those out of compliance. But don't tell bar owners they have to shut back down just after re-opening and feeling they survived.

Have you considered that he's looking at data you aren't? I suspect whatever he's seeing suggests he doesn't have "more time" to let things work out. He knows taking this action puts him at odds with cheerleaders like yourself. It's a reversal that can only mean the situation has deteriorated significantly.
cone
AG
okay no problem

pandemics are ****ty
Betoisafurry
Post removed:
by user
CowtownAg06
AG
Ya'll do realize it's possible for multiple things to be true:

1.) We aren't running out of hospital beds. The CEO's were very optimistic that we can meet the surge, even with increased cases. We aren't NY/Italy/NO.

2.) We've hit a point were we need to slow the spread again. Closing bars, while not great, seems to be the most bang for the buck. It sucks for them, but that that' where we are at right now.
First Page Last Page
Page 166 of 599

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.