Houston
Sponsored by

Tine Coronavirus thread

2,475,691 Views | 20959 Replies | Last: 1 mo ago by Ciboag96
flnk06
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Too many people see the ages of covid deaths and try to play it off like it's no big deal. However, the issue is much larger than that. With ICU beds reaching capacity very soon, that means people in automobile accidents, people that fall and hit their heads, victims of violence, people who get severely burned (i.e. things that happen to people of all ages regardless of comorbidities) may not be able to get into a place with the proper resources and staff that are more familiar with treatment. People are still going to be having heart attacks, strokes, fall into septic shock, etc., and they often times need ICU care as well.
Teddy Perkins
AG
TXTransplant
As I said above, I don't think that many people (if any) are contracting the virus while shopping at HEB or Home Depot.

I wear a mask when I'm out running errands, but I don't consider that to be high-risk, because I don't get close to anyone, and certainly not for an extended period of time. Even at work, we are keeping our 6 ft distance (and wearing masks).

From what I understand, it requires close contact with an infected individual for a somewhat extended period of time to contract it.

We have avoided church (although mine has implemented protocols that ~should~ keep people safe). And I'm minimizing anything that requires close physical contact with a stranger (ie, no trips to the nail salon). I'm too old to hang out at bars, so that's not a problem. I'll take a hard pass on any trips to theme parks or other crowded areas (a coworker was planning a trip to Six Flags but cancelled because of weather).

I don't expect everyone else to make these same decisions, but I don't support another shutdown, either.
AgsMyDude
AG
Not to mention some HCWs will contract it and have to stay home for 2 weeks.
TXTransplant
cone said:

if the vector pool gets large enough yes you would see infections at places you previously didn't expect

In theory, but it seems like you would still have to have close contact for an extended period of time with an infected person. I really don't think two people at HEB passing each other in the cereal aisle is going to be a significant source of transmission. Same thing if you're at a restaurant and the closest table with people is 6 ft away.

Now, letting a nail tech breathe on you for an hour while you get your gel manicure probably is higher risk. Same with sitting at a crowded bar. But let people decide for themselves how important fake nails and bar-hopping are. Forced closures shouldn't even be an option for consideration again.
Ferris Wheel Allstar
AG
David_Puddy said:

People are wearing masks but the more important question is......are you?
I borrowed one from Jetch

?itemid=11931892
TXTransplant
AgsMyDude said:

If there is enough PPE and hospital staff are using it correctly, then an increase in hospitalizations does not mean more health care workers will get sick.
Post removed:
by user
terradactylexpress
So we just stop elective procedures until herd immunity or a vaccine happens?

Most elective procedures aren't elective in the sense that the are cosmetic etc, but delaying long term would have a much more negative impact on our cities well being as cancers etc are not found or treated as quickly.

What level of ICU occupancy for covid do you suggest? 50% 75%?
IrishTxAggie
AG

cone
AG
no way I'd go to a sitdown restaurant until this hospitalization peak subsides
TXTransplant
terradactylexpress said:

Most elective procedures aren't elective in the sense that the are cosmetic etc, but delaying long term would have a much more negative impact on our cities well being as cancers etc are not found or treated as quickly.

That should be left up to each hospital's discretion. It's not something politicians should be dictating.
TXTransplant
cone said:

no way I'd go to a sitdown restaurant until this hospitalization peak subsides

That's exactly the point I'm trying to make - that's your choice.

I went to lunch today with two coworkers I trust. We sat outside and did not come within 20 ft (much less 6) of anyone other than our server. I suppose our server could have it, but you would run that same risk with take out.

I ate out alone at a locally/family-owned cafe a couple of weeks ago. I was literally the only customer in there. Again, I don't see that as risky.

I have other coworkers who are taking the same stance you are and not eating out at all right now. I totally respect their decision.

I would respect the decision of a restaurant to close (certainly if they have an employee test positive).

But the govt should not be shutting anything down.

AgsMyDude
AG
TXTransplant said:

AgsMyDude said:

If there is enough PPE and hospital staff are using it correctly, then an increase in hospitalizations does not mean more health care workers will get sick.

More frequent encounters (particularly if the hospital is completely full) = more risk, no?
cone
AG
NJ data showed frontline HCWs were more likely to get it via in home spread than at work

the PPE was working
AgsMyDude
AG
Source? Even If that's true the logic follows. The more encounters, the more the risk to bring it home. I'll be floored if HCW is Houston are completely fine and some don't get sick.
TXTransplant
AgsMyDude said:

TXTransplant said:

AgsMyDude said:

More frequent encounters (particularly if the hospital is completely full) = more risk, no?

In theory, yes, but that's the purpose of PPE (assuming it's used correctly) - to eliminate the risk that comes with increased exposure.

PPE doesn't lose its effectiveness just because there are more patients.
TXTransplant
In the email update I got today:
Quote:

County News
Message from Montgomery County Hospital CEOs
The Woodlands Township has received the following message from the Montgomery County Hospital CEOs: "We are asking our community and government leaders to help support our local hospitals and health care workers by encouraging mask coverings in all public places, social distancing with limited gathering of people, and proper hand hygiene."

MoCo has 724 active cases as of today and reported the death Of a 40 year old Conroe man.
Ag_07
AG
Anyone know what the status is on ventilators?

We keep hearing about ICU capacity up but we're not hearing the concern about ventilators like we did with the first wave?

Guess it could be they got ventilators but curious what percentage of ICU patients are ventilated.
IrishTxAggie
AG
https://app.powerbi.com/view?r=eyJrIjoiYjU5MzU4NjAtZWJjMC00MTllLTkwYjYtMzE4ODY1YjAyMGU2IiwidCI6ImI3MjgwODdjLTgwZTgtNGQzMS04YjZmLTdlMGUzYmUxMGUwOCIsImMiOjN9

Over 1300 adult vents available
terradactylexpress
TXTransplant said:

terradactylexpress said:

That should be left up to each hospital's discretion. It's not something politicians should be dictating.

I'm not asking the government, I'm asking soupnazi his opinion
terradactylexpress
Treatment has moved away from ventilation untill absolute last resort
cone
AG
I'll have to dig up the tweet from a month ago
ChemAg15
AG
I'm obligated to attend a wedding on July 4 in Galveston.
Anybody want to give their take on the odds this actually happens?
BohunkAg
AG
BarryProfit said:

This is disingenuous. Houston will exceed original capacity. Will still have ICU beds because of surge planning.
98Ag99Grad
AG
flnk06 said:

Too many people see the ages of covid deaths and try to play it off like it's no big deal. However, the issue is much larger than that. With ICU beds reaching capacity very soon, that means people in automobile accidents, people that fall and hit their heads, victims of violence, people who get severely burned (i.e. things that happen to people of all ages regardless of comorbidities) may not be able to get into a place with the proper resources and staff that are more familiar with treatment. People are still going to be having heart attacks, strokes, fall into septic shock, etc., and they often times need ICU care as well.

Bingo.
bearkatag15
AG
HtownAg92
AG
BohunkAg said:

BarryProfit said:

This is disingenuous. Houston will exceed original capacity. Will still have ICU beds because of surge planning.
Oh, so it is no big deal.

That's like having the first two floors of your house flooded but blowing it off because you still have the attic.
Post removed:
by user
Bondag
AG
HtownAg92 said:

BohunkAg said:

BarryProfit said:

Oh, so it is no big deal.

That's like having the first two floors of your house flooded but blowing it off because you still have the attic.

Better analogy would be you built your house on stilts. The water has come up 20' but you still have 10 to go.
Post removed:
by user
BohunkAg
AG
I don't know what it's like but it seems like the ICUs were at 70% capacity anyway, which is concerning. And this drive it up near 100. And we have a plan to help mitigate it. Which we should. What do you want?
BarryProfit
SoupNazi2001 said:

Jim Bianco is a big bear on the financial market and a finance guy so color me that he is biased and has an agenda. Let's all panic and shut it down though.

He's a bear now that's true but he's not always been. He's no chicken little and is and has been well respected for many years across many market cycles.

Anyway in this case he's just reporting the same data as many others.
TroyMc
I get being skeptical after the total overplay or shutting everything down and then allowing massive protests. I get it. I also know people in the medical center and this is the first time I've seen them truly on edge about this. You all should really be taking extra care in everything you do right now. The hospitals don't have as much excess as you may think and there will be another knee jerk reaction of shutting things down again if trends don't slow or reverse. Don't give them an excuse to destroy the economy even more than they already have
First Page Last Page
Page 160 of 599

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.