Houston
Sponsored by

Tine Coronavirus thread

2,497,117 Views | 20959 Replies | Last: 1 mo ago by Ciboag96
Panama Red
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Milwaukees Best Light said:

499.5 people with at least presumptive positive by Friday at close of business in the greater Houston area. Over/Under. What you got?

There are 566 cases in the entire United States, and people think there will be 500 just in the Houston area by Friday?

That's the kind of panic the Charmin stock holders can get behind.
Silky Johnston
We are having our first child this week at TCH and were just told that we can only have two visitors total for the duration of the stay. The spouse counts as one of the visitors.
htxag09
AG
Just saw memorial Herman implemented the same.

My mom is at md Anderson and has a surgery for a port this week, so keeping an eye on it. I'm sure they'll implement the same.
jenn96
AG
Panama Red said:

Milwaukees Best Light said:

499.5 people with at least presumptive positive by Friday at close of business in the greater Houston area. Over/Under. What you got?

There are 566 cases in the entire United States, and people think there will be 500 just in the Houston area by Friday?

That's the kind of panic the Charmin stock holders can get behind.

The United States has tested 566 people who have it. Once more tests are available that number is going to go up considerably.
Anti-taxxer
AG
AGHouston11 said:

Has there really been any teachers in the middle of a school year traveling internationally recently? It just doesn't seem like anyone would be traveling. Christmas vacation maybe but that was long ago.

I'm in Pearland ISD. We were told if we travel to a Level 3 country, we can't come back for 14 days. Kids too. We have lots of students who travel internationally.

The teacher next to me is going on a cruise, despite our best efforts to convince him it's a dumb idea. I don't expect to see him for a while.
rangerdanger
AG
smango05 said:

The teacher next to me is going on a cruise, despite our best efforts to convince him it's a dumb idea. I don't expect to see him for a while.

Dude is just working the system for a bonus 2 weeks vacation time.

aTm2004
AG
smango05 said:

AGHouston11 said:

Has there really been any teachers in the middle of a school year traveling internationally recently? It just doesn't seem like anyone would be traveling. Christmas vacation maybe but that was long ago.

I'm in Pearland ISD. We were told if we travel to a Level 3 country, we can't come back for 14 days. Kids too. We have lots of students who travel internationally.

Well, if the teachers will still get paid and the students aren't docked attendance...3 week vacation!
Anti-taxxer
AG
rangerdanger said:

smango05 said:

Lol PISD made it abundantly clear that any teacher who is infected is going to be recovering on their own dime.
aTm2004
AG
smango05 said:

rangerdanger said:

smango05 said:

Lol PISD made it abundantly clear that any teacher who is infected is going to be recovering on their own dime.
Which points to how effing stupid all of this is. This is not near as bad as the regular flu, yet the school is dictating where someone can and cannot go during their personal time. This is encouraging people to lie about where they went.

"How was your trip to the Mediterranean?"
"Oh, we didn't go. We went to visit my brother-in-law in Oakley, KS. Hey, check out this awesome Mediterranean sea rock I found while diving in the community pond."
BarryProfit
Who says it is not "near as bad" as the regular flu?
Anti-taxxer
AG
aTm2004 said:

smango05 said:

rangerdanger said:

smango05 said:

Which points to how effing stupid all of this is. This is not near as bad as the regular flu, yet the school is dictating where someone can and cannot go during their personal time. This is encouraging people to lie about where they went.

"How was your trip to the Mediterranean?"
"Oh, we didn't go. We went to visit my brother-in-law in Oakley, KS. Hey, check out this awesome Mediterranean sea rock I found while diving in the community pond."

Lots of great Mediterranean food in Kansas!!
aTm2004
AG
BarryProfit said:

Math and common sense.

Link

Quote:

Globally, the World Health Organization (WHO) estimates that the flu kills 290,000 to 650,000 people each year, and per the CDC, up to 61,000 of those deaths occurred in the US annually since 2010.

While we don't have yearly estimates for coronavirus fatalities yet, the WHO's newest Situation Report, published on February 25, says that out of the 80,239 confirmed coronavirus cases worldwide, the illness has resulted in 2,700 deaths2,666 of which have occurred in China.

That's not really an easy question to answer, says Dr. Brown. "It depends on what you mean by worse," he says. "More easily spread? Then it appears to be coronavirus. Causes more cases of serious illness. Then it's flu."

And what I believe to be the biggest driver of this:
Quote:

Another thing that makes the coronavirus a bit more dangerous? That there are so many unknowns attached to itunlike the flu which has been studied for decades.
Mikeyshooter
AG
Silky Johnston said:

We are having our first child this week at TCH and were just told that we can only have two visitors total for the duration of the stay. The spouse counts as one of the visitors.

Yeah. We have a daughter in ICU for the next 4 weeks and were told this policy yesterday. We are already stretched thin but now we can't have anyone else come sit with her while we take a break.
htxag09
AG
aTm2004 said:

BarryProfit said:

Math and common sense.

Link

Quote:

Globally, the World Health Organization (WHO) estimates that the flu kills 290,000 to 650,000 people each year, and per the CDC, up to 61,000 of those deaths occurred in the US annually since 2010.

While we don't have yearly estimates for coronavirus fatalities yet, the WHO's newest Situation Report, published on February 25, says that out of the 80,239 confirmed coronavirus cases worldwide, the illness has resulted in 2,700 deaths2,666 of which have occurred in China.

That's not really an easy question to answer, says Dr. Brown. "It depends on what you mean by worse," he says. "More easily spread? Then it appears to be coronavirus. Causes more cases of serious illness. Then it's flu."

Quote:

Another thing that makes the coronavirus a bit more dangerous? That there are so many unknowns attached to itunlike the flu which has been studied for decades.

Except common sense would tell you there is more to the story than just these numbers.....Don't get me wrong, I think the media is way over-hyping this and people are drastically overreacting, but it's too narrow-minded to say, "oh well, the flu is worse, no reason to worry" IMO.

People are already exposed to the flu everywhere. This, not so much, yet. If coronavirus continues spreading, which it most likely will, then it's not out of the realm of possibility to assume you'll have the same exposure rate to it as the flu. Right now, the at risk of exposure populations are pretty limited. That will change.

Also as of now, it appears the mortality rate and the R0 are both higher than the flu. If that maintains, common sense will tell me this will be worse than the flu when it is more widespread and more and more people are coming into contact with it.

Then there is just the nature of unknowns. We don't have a vaccine for this, we don't have treatment. Cases, right now, are more severe than the flu. That can tax hospitals, supplies, etc. The flu, we know from experience, typically starts to diminish in cases and severity as it warms up. We don't know what coronavirus will do. We assume it'll do the same, but it's really unknown.

This thing could mutate tomorrow and basically disappear like SARS or it could mutate and this get worse, or we can continue going down a similar path it's been taking. But as time goes on, cases will exponentially increase. We just don't know.
Jack Cheese
AG
Case mortality is worse with coronavirus too. The issues are not just raw numbers of cases, it is the rapid spread (way faster than flu) and overwhelming hospital capacity at any one time.

The curve will smooth out and the total fatalities will probably not reach levels of flu, but there is a high likelihood of a rapidly growing number of cases and potential for real problems in health care facilities.

That's not panic. Facts. Stop shaking hands, stay out of any unnecessary crowds, wash your hands, keep 6' distance from others as much as possible, and this thing can be minimized.
dragmagpuff
AG
htxag09 said:

aTm2004 said:

BarryProfit said:

Math and common sense.

Link

Quote:

Quote:

Except common sense would tell you there is more to the story than just these numbers.....Don't get me wrong, I think the media is way over-hyping this and people are drastically overreacting, but it's too narrow-minded to say, "oh well, the flu is worse, no reason to worry" IMO.

People are already exposed to the flu everywhere. This, not so much, yet. If coronavirus continues spreading, which it most likely will, then it's not out of the realm of possibility to assume you'll have the same exposure rate to it as the flu. Right now, the at risk of exposure populations are pretty limited. That will change.

Also as of now, it appears the mortality rate and the R0 are both higher than the flu. If that maintains, common sense will tell me this will be worse than the flu when it is more widespread and more and more people are coming into contact with it.

Then there is just the nature of unknowns. We don't have a vaccine for this, we don't have treatment. Cases, right now, are more severe than the flu. That can tax hospitals, supplies, etc. The flu, we know from experience, typically starts to diminish in cases and severity as it warms up. We don't know what coronavirus will do. We assume it'll do the same, but it's really unknown.

This thing could mutate tomorrow and basically disappear like SARS or it could mutate and this get worse, or we can continue going down a similar path it's been taking. But as time goes on, cases will exponentially increase. We just don't know.
The death rate in South Korea, where they are testing hundreds of thousands of people is at least 0.7% so far, with the vast majority of cases unresolved. (7,500 cases: 52 deaths, but only 118 recoveries). This is much lower than the early reports of 2 to 3%, but still 7 times higher than the flu. The real danger of this virus is the ~10-15% of the cases that need oxygen and/or a ventilator to stay alive. When China said that 85% of their cases were mild to moderate, they just meant didn't need an ICU bed. That still included pneumonia cases.
aTm2004
AG
Quote:

Also as of now, it appears the mortality rate and the R0 are both higher than the flu.
Quote:

Case mortality is worse with coronavirus too.

Considering the number of people who have the virus with no symptoms is unknown, can you say that is a fact?
Bondag
AG
Mikeyshooter said:

Silky Johnston said:

Yeah. We have a daughter in ICU for the next 4 weeks and were told this policy yesterday. We are already stretched thin but now we can't have anyone else come sit with her while we take a break.
htxag09
AG
aTm2004 said:

Quote:

Also as of now, it appears the mortality rate and the R0 are both higher than the flu.
Quote:

Considering the number of people who have the virus with no symptoms is unknown, can you say that is a fact?
No, which is why I prefaced that with it being a virus of unknowns, why I also said it "appears."

All I can go off is what scientific journals and papers are putting out. With their estimates of people who don't show symptoms or just minor symptoms and don't get treated, they're saying mortality of .7-3.4%. Even at the conservative rate of .7%, that's 7x worse than the flu. Again, we just don't know yet. It's not widespread enough nor has it been around long enough to have this data. Which goes back to my point of fear of the unknown.....We know what to expect from the flu. We simply don't know what to expect from this.
aTm2004
AG
htxag09 said:

aTm2004 said:

Quote:

Quote:

No, which is why I prefaced that with it being a virus of unknowns, why I also said it "appears."

All I can go off is what scientific journals and papers are putting out. With their estimates of people who don't show symptoms or just minor symptoms and don't get treated, they're saying mortality of .7-3.4%. Even at the conservative rate of .7%, that's 7x worse than the flu. Again, we just don't know yet. It's not widespread enough nor has it been around long enough to have this data. Which goes back to my point of fear of the unknown.....We know what to expect from the flu. We simply don't know what to expect from this.
I expect this to be a distant memory by summer, much like Ebola, Swine Flu, etc.
htxag09
AG
aTm2004 said:

htxag09 said:

aTm2004 said:

Quote:

Quote:

I expect this to be a distant memory by summer, much like Ebola, Swine Flu, etc.
And I 100% hope you're right. And honestly, I haven't changed my life much because of this. We bought a couple bags of frozen vegetables and a couple frozen dinners that we don't normally have, but that's it. I've always washed my hands a lot. May wash them a little more and use more hand sanitizer now, but that's because we've been spending a lot more time with my mom at MD Anderson and her immune system is compromised from chemo.
jenn96
AG
Another reason for caution is that we don't know what the long-term effects will be. For example, It may be that this is a mild disease for most that permanently weakens lung function so that you become more susceptible to other health problems down the road. It's such a new disease that we don't know, and caution is the right response.
aTm2004
AG
If anything has changed with us, my wife is giving the kids hand sanitizer after being out in public. Other than that, nothing. I'll concern myself with things that have a higher probability of affecting me.
aTm2004
AG
jenn96 said:

Another reason for caution is that we don't know what the long-term effects will be. For example, It may be that this is a mild disease for most that permanently weakens lung function so that you become more susceptible to other health problems down the road. It's such a new disease that we don't know, and caution is the right response.
Nobody is saying caution shouldn't be used, but this all out panic isn't the right response either.
Jack Cheese
AG
aTm2004 said:

Quote:

Quote:

Yes. It hinges on the word "case".
Jack Cheese
AG
aTm2004 said:

jenn96 said:

Nobody is saying caution shouldn't be used, but this all out panic isn't the right response either.

Way to throw down the straw man.
BohunkAg
AG
jenn96 said:

I froze my sperm just in case.
aTm2004
AG
Jack Cheese said:

aTm2004 said:

jenn96 said:

It's not a straw man argument when there's a cap on how much bottled water you can buy, TP is hard to come by, and people are price gauging hand sanitizer.
aTm2004
AG
Jack Cheese said:

aTm2004 said:

Quote:

Quote:

As the cases grow, that number will diminish.
Jack Cheese
AG
aTm2004 said:

Jack Cheese said:

aTm2004 said:

jenn96 said:

It's not a straw man argument when there's a cap on how much bottled water you can buy, TP is hard to come by, and people are price gauging hand sanitizer.

Please point out the specific posts where anyone here advocated panic. TIA.
Post removed:
by user
Jack Cheese
AG
aTm2004 said:

Jack Cheese said:

aTm2004 said:

Quote:

Quote:

As the cases grow, that number will diminish.

You don't understand.
wessimo
AG
Looking forward to the afternoon update from the Houston Health Dept to find out how many of the 15 tests came back positive today.
jenn96
AG
aTm2004 said:

Jack Cheese said:

aTm2004 said:

jenn96 said:

Italy has 16 million people under virtual lockdown and has teams playing in empty stadiums while weddings and funerals have been suspended. I don't think a run on TP is all out panic.
Zobel
AG
You weren't doing that anyway?
First Page Last Page
Page 10 of 599

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.