Houston
Sponsored by

Tine Coronavirus thread

2,497,020 Views | 20959 Replies | Last: 1 mo ago by Ciboag96
aTm2004
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
jenn96 said:

aTm2004 said:

Jack Cheese said:

aTm2004 said:

jenn96 said:

Another reason for caution is that we don't know what the long-term effects will be. For example, It may be that this is a mild disease for most that permanently weakens lung function so that you become more susceptible to other health problems down the road. It's such a new disease that we don't know, and caution is the right response.
Nobody is saying caution shouldn't be used, but this all out panic isn't the right response either.

Way to throw down the straw man.
It's not a straw man argument when there's a cap on how much bottled water you can buy, TP is hard to come by, and people are price gauging hand sanitizer.

Italy has 16 million people under virtual lockdown and has teams playing in empty stadiums while weddings and funerals have been suspended. I don't think a run on TP is all out panic.
So, what Italy is doing is a panic. Six of one...
IrishTxAggie
AG
third coast.. said:

aTm2004 said:

smango05 said:

rangerdanger said:

smango05 said:

The teacher next to me is going on a cruise, despite our best efforts to convince him it's a dumb idea. I don't expect to see him for a while.

Dude is just working the system for a bonus 2 weeks vacation time.

Lol PISD made it abundantly clear that any teacher who is infected is going to be recovering on their own dime.
Which points to how effing stupid all of this is. This is not near as bad as the regular flu, yet the school is dictating where someone can and cannot go during their personal time. This is encouraging people to lie about where they went.

"How was your trip to the Mediterranean?"
"Oh, we didn't go. We went to visit my brother-in-law in Oakley, KS. Hey, check out this awesome Mediterranean sea rock I found while diving in the community pond."

If anyone is wondering how my trip to the med is going, and I'm sure you arent, myself amd the rest of the crew, are currently quarantined to my ship in a greek port.
Is your internet better at least? Will pronhub videos load for you?
aTm2004
AG
Jack Cheese said:

aTm2004 said:

Jack Cheese said:

aTm2004 said:

jenn96 said:

Another reason for caution is that we don't know what the long-term effects will be. For example, It may be that this is a mild disease for most that permanently weakens lung function so that you become more susceptible to other health problems down the road. It's such a new disease that we don't know, and caution is the right response.
Nobody is saying caution shouldn't be used, but this all out panic isn't the right response either.

Way to throw down the straw man.
It's not a straw man argument when there's a cap on how much bottled water you can buy, TP is hard to come by, and people are price gauging hand sanitizer.

Please point out the specific posts where anyone here advocated panic. TIA.
Oh Jesus. Where did I specify a particular post? Do you live outside of the TexAgs bubble and pay attention to what is going on? Do you not believe cancelling events is a panic? I pointed out something that we can all see first hand in our day-to-day lives.
aTm2004
AG
Jack Cheese said:

aTm2004 said:

Jack Cheese said:

aTm2004 said:

Quote:

Also as of now, it appears the mortality rate and the R0 are both higher than the flu.
Quote:

Case mortality is worse with coronavirus too.

Considering the number of people who have the virus with no symptoms is unknown, can you say that is a fact?

Yes. It hinges on the word "case".
As the cases grow, that number will diminish.

You don't understand.
Then explain. If 100,000 new cases are found today but only 11 die, would the mortality rate not go down?
bearkatag15
AG
https://www.foxnews.com/media/john-price-coronavirus-vaccine-greffex

Quote:

A group of Texas scientists claims to have created a vaccine to prevent the coronavirus and, according to the CEO of the Houston based engineering company, it could be approved and available to the public by the end of the year.

"We're confident in the vaccine, the quality of the vaccine completely. The end result will be what the government wants to do in terms of testing," John Price, CEO of Greffex, told "American's Newsroom," Monday.

Price said his company developed the vaccine based on the knowledge they obtained from an earlier vaccine they created to combat MERS, which "has a tremendous number of similarities" to the coronavirus, he explained.
Post removed:
by user
aTm2004
AG
Damn. May want to see if the Mrs. can send you some fun stuff to get you buy.
BohunkAg
AG
aTm2004 said:

Jack Cheese said:

aTm2004 said:

Jack Cheese said:

aTm2004 said:

Quote:

Also as of now, it appears the mortality rate and the R0 are both higher than the flu.
Quote:

Case mortality is worse with coronavirus too.

Considering the number of people who have the virus with no symptoms is unknown, can you say that is a fact?

Yes. It hinges on the word "case".
As the cases grow, that number will diminish.

You don't understand.
Then explain. If 100,000 new cases are found today but only 11 die, would the mortality rate not go down?
Yes. I read that there are 400+ deaths in Italy and like 9.600 reported cases. People on the Twitter box are sheeting their pants....OMG a 5% mortality rate! Wellllll, I'm not sure that's accurate at all. I'm sure there are way more cases than 9,600 in Italy. Man the data on this deal is just so screw. As a matter of fact, I'm sure there are way more cases in the U.S. than we know about.
aTm2004
AG
My point exactly.
IrishTxAggie
AG
The US is probably well over 5,000... Just not all going to the doctor. What do the majority of men in their 20s, 30s, and 40s do when we feel bad? We shrug it off, take a day or two of rest, and let our bodies do it's job. I'm not going to the doctor unless it's moving and it shouldn't or it's not moving and it should. Bet there are a lot more that think like me too.
combat wombat™
AG
Election year mountain-out-of-a-molehill virus?
94chem
American Chemical Society just cancelled its conference in Philly for late March. Usually has 9000 or so in attendance. Service industry just getting hammered.
Diggity
AG
cone
AG
the situation in Italy sounds absolutely horrific
BohunkAg
AG
The CDC is doing more than some folks admit. Our doctors (at least now) have been fairly well informed so far. It's just a matter of folks following established protocol.
Jack Cheese
AG
cone said:

Exactly. I don't understand this "election year overreaction" crap. How parochial can you get?
Beat40
BohunkAg said:

The CDC is doing more than some folks admit. Our doctors (at least now) have been fairly well informed so far. It's just a matter of folks following established protocol.

This is an interesting point. I would like to know what the CDC has communicated and what preparations they have given to hospitals.
Dr. Doctor
AG
94chem said:

American Chemical Society just cancelled its conference in Philly for late March. Usually has 9000 or so in attendance. Service industry just getting hammered.
AIChE moved their Spring Meeting in Houston from March 29th to April 2nd to August 16th through 20th.

Joy.

~egon
TXAG 05
AG
IrishTxAggie said:

The US is probably well over 5,000... Just not all going to the doctor. What do the majority of men in their 20s, 30s, and 40s do when we feel bad? We shrug it off, take a day or two of rest, and let our bodies do it's job. I'm not going to the doctor unless it's moving and it shouldn't or it's not moving and it should. Bet there are a lot more that think like me too.

Exactly.
Furlock Bones
AG
cone said:

https://news.sky.com/story/coronavirus-italian-doctor-says-fighting-covid-19-outbreak-is-like-war-11954229

Quote:

"In these two years I have learned that the people of Bergamo do not come to the emergency room for nothing. They behaved properly this time too. They followed all the indications given: a week or ten days at home with a fever without going out and risking contagion, but now they can't take it anymore."

"They don't breathe enough, they need oxygen."

Another doctor from Bergamo, anaesthesiologist Christian Salaroli, told Italian newspaper Corriere della Sera that doctors are now forced to choose who to treat on the basis of the patients' chances of survival.
"We can't attempt miracles. It's the reality," he said.
The Italian society of anaesthesiology and intensive care published 15 ethical recommendations to consider when deciding on ICU admissions during the virus crisis and the ICU shortage. The criteria include the age of the patient and the probability of survival, and not just "first come first served".

"The display boards with the names of the patients, in different colours depending on the operating unit they belong to, are now all red and instead of the surgical operation there is the diagnosis, which is always the same damned one: bilateral interstitial pneumonia."

He also stressed the virus does not just affect old people, warning that younger people "end up intubated in intensive care" or "worse in ECMO (a machine for the worst cases, which extracts the blood, re-oxygenates it and returns it to the body, waiting for the organism, hopefully, heal your lungs).
awful.
Milwaukees Best Light
AG
BohunkAg said:

when I read that S Korea had already tested 100,000 folks and our fine city could only do like 12 per day it makes me wonder what they were waiting on. You could see the tidal wave coming, yet they didn't ramp up and distribute the supplies necessary. Possibly they couldn't get anymore testing kits to distribute, but that will be for history to decide. Right now it looks like some fools couldn't see the storm clouds racing towards us.
Bondag
AG
Milwaukees Best Light said:

BohunkAg said:

when I read that S Korea had already tested 100,000 folks and our fine city could only do like 12 per day it makes me wonder what they were waiting on. You could see the tidal wave coming, yet they didn't ramp up and distribute the supplies necessary. Possibly they couldn't get anymore testing kits to distribute, but that will be for history to decide. Right now it looks like some fools couldn't see the storm clouds racing towards us.
How many people in Houston that have not been to Egypt in the last month have caronavirus?
Zobel
AG
I assume there is some desirable ratio between positives and negatives when testing to ensure you're getting all or nearly all of the positives without wasting resources. Just by intuition and looking at the raw numbers it seems we're probably below that number.
BohunkAg
AG
Milwaukees Best Light said:

BohunkAg said:

It is foolish to start testing every single person and tout how many people you are testing, especially when testing kits for a new virus are at a premium. As of now (at least here in Texas), there are a few (last I heard five) countries where if you've traveled to those countries, have come in contact with the virus and shown symptoms, you will certainly get tested. There are other cases too.

Keep in mind this is second hand information. So I'm not trying to get anyone to go off all half c-cked here and based on what my dumb ass is saying think that we aren't doing enough. My info is certainly incomplete. But from what I know, our medical professionals and CDC are taking a measured response and those saying we aren't testing enough based on the numbers (accurate or not) that these other countries are releasing simply don't have the full picture.
cone
AG
Quote:

especially when testing kits for a new virus are at a premium
why are they at a premium here and not in SK?

they started dealing with their outbreak much earlier in the pandemic
Ag_N_Houston
AG
Bondag said:

How many people in Houston that have not been to Egypt in the last month have caronavirus?
No one knows because they haven't been tested. They have only been testing people that check the boxes for high risk because of the limited testing available. Also, it is possible to carry the virus and not show any symptoms.
BohunkAg
AG
An example I have heard anecdotally from someone in the medically field: someone was travelling through a midsized Texas city from somewhere in the Midwest where there had been one presumptive cased of Coronavirus in this city of half a million to a million.

The person presented with symptoms of flu. The person wanted to be tested for Coronavirus. Upon questioning the person and consulting with CDC, this person had not been anywhere near the person with CV, who had been traveling overseas. They did not test for CV, but instead tested for flu and strep, which this person tested positive for. Common sense medicine. Some of you may not agree with it, but this facility did not have unlimited CV tests at this point.
BohunkAg
AG
cone said:

Quote:

Do you believe South Korea tested 100k people?
cone
AG
yes, i guess i do
Zobel
AG
BohunkAg
AG
So that's a pretty big asterisk under our number no? The fact that it's the numbers reported to CDC and doesn't include the tests done at the state and local level or at private labs?

Also the fact that the World Health Organization is involved in the international numbers gives me pause.

Regardless, I think people are giving these thrown together statistics too much credence versus what is actually being done by the professionals out in the field. The response by United States physicians and other licensed medical professionals during this has actually been very good so far. But that's not what people on social media want to see or pick apart.
Zobel
AG
The CDC was restricting access to tests until fairly recently and, as far as I know, only recently state, local, private, etc labs are testing. Even then, they're reporting back to the CDC and positives are only "presumptive positive" until confirmed. Do you think there are a significant of tests being performed and not reported to the CDC?

What you're basically saying is that your opinion is set not in the absence of information, but without regard for the information that is available. That doesn't seem like a very good approach to me.

Professionals in the field can only do so much. I mean, what can a doc do? Test for flu...tell people to go home and rest, take plenty of fluids, and acetaminophen or ibuprofen if the fever gets too high. The role of the health organizations in these isn't related to direct patient care but trying to coordinate activity to shift or offset the peak caseload of an epidemic. That means information spread, testing and testing guidelines, tracing contacts, and coordinating quarantines. Physicians can be doing great, and the CDC can also be doing poorly.
BohunkAg
AG
Look, I'm not a big online debater. I posted a couple anecdotes. Buy some bleach and bottle water. Good luck.
Milwaukees Best Light
AG
Stick to what you are good at. Post boobs and all is good.
David_Puddy
AG
cone said:

Quote:

Ummmm......bc most of the medical industry in order to cut costs shifted the majority of their manufacturing over to China. Not to turn this political, but this is one of the things that Trump has been preaching for 3 years is that we have to shift this back to the U.S. If that were the case, the kits would definitely be more readily available.
First Page Last Page
Page 11 of 599

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.