Houston
Sponsored by

Spring Branch

142,240 Views | 821 Replies | Last: 5 mo ago by TriAg2010
Southpaw 07
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
I'm off Westray also. We're anticipating some extra traffic at the front of the neighborhood but could have done a lot worse than Aldi & Mr Carwash.
Boats and Hose
AG
Yeah the through traffic is what I'm not looking forward to. There's already a lot of people using westray to cut through to either Gessner or Kempwood via Teague. We'll see what it looks like and hopefully it's not too bad.
Ducks4brkfast
AG
Walked into an Aldi for the first time Thursday. Place is a ****hole.
Southpaw 07
AG
It'll get worse, even with the giant speed bumps on Teague. I'm down closer to Rosefield, hoping to not see too much traffic increase down here.
tpnick87
TriAg2010 said:

tukAg10 said:

The drawing already does resemble a CF. But I hear Aldi's are good for property value and its hell of a lot better than another pawn shop or "boutique" store

Sure, but I'd rather have a Trader Joe's.

I would say username checks out, but I thought you would have gone with Whole Foods
Charlie Murphy
Winos rejoice. BTW - Man i miss swamplot.

Nice Winery
AshBrad10
AG
Charlie, any update on the apartments at 8850 long point? I live super close. Hoping for some retail/bars/food under the apartments.
SockDePot
Charlie Murphy said:

Winos rejoice. BTW - Man i miss swamplot.

Nice Winery

Their existing storefront is on the other side of the beltway. Bought a "tasting" at a charity event, and was pleasantly surprised. Really good wine, and they do a lot to give back to HOUSTON. I would definitely recommend checking this place out, even before they move.
Charlie Murphy
AshBrad10 said:

Charlie, any update on the apartments at 8850 long point? I live super close. Hoping for some retail/bars/food under the apartments.

I got nothing. You probably live close to me however.
dragmagpuff
AG
Just picked up several crowlers togo from Cobble and Spoke before they close down for at least 15 days. They are trying to figure out if they can do drive thru, but just in case I bought a bunch.
AshBrad10
AG
If you live close to there then sounds like we do!
AshBrad10
AG
Sad times
SabineAg
AG
Closing on a house in SB at the end of the month. I grew up just across I-10 in Bunker Hill. Looking forward to moving back to the area and to Kirby Ice House opening back up.

Talked to my friend who runs Kirby the other day, he anticipates they will be serving to the public in less than a month, with hopefully a soft opening at the first week of April. For those concerned about the lack family friendlyness. There is a Mia's going up next door that will be coordinating with Kirby in some capacity so hopefully that resolves your issue some.
tmaggie50
AG
PalomaPachanga said:

Closing on a house in SB at the end of the month. I grew up just across I-10 in Bunker Hill. Looking forward to moving back to the area and to Kirby Ice House opening back up.

Talked to my friend who runs Kirby the other day, he anticipates they will be serving to the public in less than a month, with hopefully a soft opening at the first week of April. For those concerned about the lack family friendlyness. There is a Mia's going up next door that will be coordinating with Kirby in some capacity so hopefully that resolves your issue some.

So you confirmed that KIH will not allowed children?
SabineAg
AG
Correct. The policy is 22 and up for ALL Kirby Ice House establishments.

In my opinion ultimately their establishments are not set up for kids and bars in general are just not a conducive environment for children unless they are specifically set up to be so.
Boats and Hose
AG
That's unfortunate. Seems like they're missing out on an opportunity to allow families in the area on certain days with limited hours as mentioned earlier in this thread. Several of our friends were hoping it would be a place we could hang out at and watch a game on a weekend afternoon with our little ones. But it's their business and they're allowed to run it as they see fit.

Did he happen to mention anything about the Richmond location closing?
Caliber
AG
Boats and Hose said:

That's unfortunate. Seems like they're missing out on an opportunity to allow families in the area on certain days with limited hours as mentioned earlier in this thread. Several of our friends were hoping it would be a place we could hang out at and watch a game on a weekend afternoon with our little ones. But it's their business and they're allowed to run it as they see fit.

Did he happen to mention anything about the Richmond location closing?
Try the Lazy Oaks beer garden when things open back up if you haven't before.
Boats and Hose
AG
We go there quite a bit! It's actually our go-to spot with the friends I mentioned above. One of my favorite local spots for sure.
SabineAg
AG
What do you mean closing? Like being forced to close by the city along with every other bar and restaurant? Otherwise not sure what you're wondering
Boats and Hose
AG
A friend of mine in commercial real estate mentioned that they would be closing that location (not because of the virus..) and selling the land to a commercial developer (I think they mentioned a high rise apartment complex). I took it with a grain of salt but figured I'd ask since you know him.
sockerton
Lazy Oaks with the jungle gym. Seen too many kids get hurt on that thing.

Charlie Murphy
Lazy oaks has above average bar food for sure, try the wings some time. They sure are proud of their beer however.
SabineAg
AG
I can confirm that there are no plans nor are they entertaining the idea of selling and or closing the original location.

But I could see how your friend could mix things up. People love talking about things they don't know full details on.
Boats and Hose
AG
Good. Glad to hear they're keeping it open. Didn't make sense when I heard it. That location is always busy.
Chewy
AG
I'm no commercial property expert but I can't imagine many uses that are more profitable than KIH at that location. That place seems to be killing it.
K_P
AG
just noticed this thread.....we've lived by nob hill park for the last 3.5 yrs. like it here but wish the schools were better. we still have some time, oldest is 18 months.
Charlie Murphy
Welcome aboard.

Drove by the construction at Long Point and Block, they've torn down and removed all the buildings previously mentioned on the SW side.
Charlie Murphy
Should say blalock
randy828
AG
FYI, we picked up a growler from 4J Brewing on Saturday. They were pretty busy with drive up customers.
I was in the room here one day... watchin' the Mexican channel on TV. I don't know nothin' about Pele. I'm watchin' what this guy can do with a ball and his feet. Next thing I know, he jumps in the air and flips into a somersault and kicks the ball in - upside down and backwards... the dang (sc) goalie never knew what the hell hit him. Pele gets excited and he rips off his jersey and starts running around the stadium waving it around his head. Everybody's screaming in Spanish. I'
Ag_07
AG
Trying our best to help out some of our favorite neighborhood spots.

Ordered burgers from JLB Eatery last night and dinner and a bucket of margaritas from Chavez tonight.

Both on point!!
drumboy
AG
Chavez

How much were the margaritas?
Caliber
AG
Tell me more about the bucket of margaritas...
sockerton
Mmm... bucket of margs
Ag_07
AG
They claimed it was a gallon when I ordered over the phone. Then they showed up at my door with this little bucket with handle lid and everything.

Had about 8 drinks in it and costs either $30 or $39 I can't remember.

Either way it was great to not leave the house and get a nice dinner with drinks delivered right to the door.
tmaggie50
AG
I did Goode Company Cantina off I-10 last week. They sell their margarita mix and all the dressings for it by the quart and will sell you a bottle of tequila if needed.

It's as good as in the restaurant

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.